Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th November 2016, 18:26   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Bajaj to update Pulsar line-up in the coming weeks

2017 Pulsar 220, Source: Overdrive

Price: 4K more
Major Change: BS4 complaint engine. Plus Auto Choke removed, silent Timing Chain, Softer Seat
Minor Cosmetic Chages

Also it seems: "its arch rival, the Hero Karizma has now been discontinued" : Says Overdrive

Last edited by payeng : 7th November 2016 at 18:28.
payeng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 15:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj has teased the 2017 Pulsar lineup ahead of its official launch.

Rumour: Bajaj to update Pulsar line-up in the coming weeks-2017bajajpulsar_827x510_51480168963.jpg
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 08:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Annnd, its out now - featuring new decals and a matte black finish for the engine

There is absolutely nothing else that is new on the bike visually, and the Bajaj marketing team had the guts to waste our time with teasers for this !

Last edited by aravind.anand : 29th November 2016 at 09:03.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 08:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Annnd, its out now - featuring new decals and a matte black finishing for the engine

There is absolutely nothing else that is new on the bike visually, and the Bajaj marketing team had the guts to waste our time with teasers for this !
Looks like the marketing folks from Hero Motor corp have joined Bajaj
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 09:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How do others deal with emissions norms, by adding spark plugs? How mcuh does efficiency improve by adding plugs? I would really like to know this and with some substantial data.
Well I remember reading an article about DTSi when it was just launched. It said that Bajaj were able to meet the emissions regulation without using cat-con due to the said technology. That said, adding more than one spark plug has diminishing returns but it also does not mean no returns. My 180 DTSi V2 used to return more than 53+ kmpl on highway rides doing a constant 90-100 kph including some hard acceleration which infact was more efficient than the lesser powerful and smaller engined Honda Unicorn with a lighter rider.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 09:56   #36
BHPian

For the old Pulsar range, there have been minor updates to the engine and minute changes to the features over the past few years. Somehow, I am not complaining as the whole 'old' Pulsar range is almost complain-free. And the range is consistently bringing in good numbers.

Their product positioning in simple words. You want FE, you have the 150. You want bit of style and performance but not too much of it, you have the 180. You want loads of style and performance, you have the 220.

I wouldn't compare Bajaj with Hero as the former is leagues ahead in terms of R&D/product development. While Bajaj is silently tweaking the old range, it has introduced the new Pulsar range (NS, AS and RS). It's soon to be launched Kratos/Dominar/whatever is another such example. So, while the Bajaj is not letting go of it's bread-n-butter old Pulsars, it is experimenting diligently on new tasty dishes.

PS: I still love the Pulsar 180. Buying the new one has crossed my mind several times in the past couple of weeks.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 11:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Looks like the marketing folks from Hero Motor corp have joined Bajaj

When products go on to become a part of common life, the consumers seem to dislike change. Reason could be the loss of familiarity.

Examples of changes that went against are:

Hero Karizma - Agreed the updates were ugly, but along with it also there was a loss of the familiar and loved shape of the bike

Honda Unicorn 150 - So strong was the sentiment against discontinuation of the 150 and detest for the Unicorn 160 was the Honda had to reintroduce the Unicorn 150 in the same guise as it was earlier discontinued in.

If anyone want's "NEW" Looks, Features, Product - The New Gen Pulsars (NS/AS/RS) has been exactly made for those guys.

Am happy that the Classic Pulsars haven't changed much. After all why take the risk of upsetting the apple cart? Especially when the apples are selling quite well and the business is brisk.

Last edited by payeng : 29th November 2016 at 12:02.
Old 29th November 2016, 12:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Am happy that the Classic Pulsars haven't changed much. After all why take the risk of upsetting the apple cart? Especially when the apples are selling quite well and the business is brisk.
I understand this sentiment which governs most of the market. But is it not fair to expect Pulsar range to have slight improvements in build quality and engine transmission refinement. Suzuki and Yamaha and Honda (At least for engine and gearbox refinement) are far ahead of Bajaj now.
rohitoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 12:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
I understand this sentiment which governs most of the market. But is it not fair to expect Pulsar range to have slight improvements in build quality and engine transmission refinement.

Suzuki and Yamaha and Honda (At least for engine and gearbox refinement) are far ahead of Bajaj now.
Even the CBR250R with a average Monthly sale of around 180 bikes (this fiscal year) has a far refined Engine, Gearbox than the Royal Enfields which are averaging 50K per month now.

Hope you get the Drift now.

Old 29th November 2016, 18:54   #40
BHPian

Pulsar is to bikes as what Swift is to cars in India - it will sell like hotcakes even if the other competitors upped the ante. Want proof - check the latest 2 wheeler sales figures for the month of Oct '16. Also, it is still a fun to ride bike in its segment.

Talking about reliability, I own a 2011 model Pulsar 180 and after 5.5 years and 53,500 KMs, it's still going strong (touchwood) and I have never changed any of the parts, save for the air filter and chain sprocket. And the service bill always dawdles between 800 - 1200, including the oil change, and most of this would be in the taxes.

Since the bike completed 5 years and 50K KMs, the urge to change is there but mind is still going to the P-180, so thinking of checking out the new version after launch.
jpcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 19:58   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
I own a 2011 model Pulsar 180 and after 5.5 years and 53,500 KMs, it's still going strong (touchwood.
+1 to that . I own a P150 2005 model and yet to face a reliability issue after 90k KMS on ODO.Regular maintenance, chain sprocket replacements, clutch replacement and that's it. It has a bullet proof reliabilty which even the Bullet (pun intended) doesn't have. I would term it the Innova of mass motorbike segment in India. Only grudge which I have is the thin seat cushion for primary rider.Really unergonomic I must say.Even Discover and Platina has better comfortable seats.
adi_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 15:47   #42
BHPian

The 2017 Pulsar 220.

Matt Black Finish, Reflective Graphics, Carbon Fibre finish on speedo, blue backlit LCD.

Looks like Fine aged wine.

payeng is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 22:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post

The 2017 Pulsar 220.

Looks like Fine aged wine.
Very well put. P220 is still the most bang for the buck entry level cruiser available in the market. Still looks like a million bucks and rides like one too!
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote