Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th October 2006, 18:18   #1

Hi Bikers,
I got a new Pulsar 180 dtsi very recently... Yippeeeeeee..... but i work in madras... so i gotta take it to madras.. i don wan my LUV to get damaged durin transit.. so i'm considerin ridin it to madras from home.. Approx. 530 kms... When i start my loooooooooooong journey tho would have clocked 250 kms at the max.. is it adviseable ride this kind of distance.. i don mind about the time span for which i would have to ride... so please advise me guys also gimme some ideas about maintenance......

PS : i have already posted this topic with a too ambiguous heading .. so i have posted this again

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by adya33 : 13th October 2006 at 09:05.
bikerrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 18:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

go for it, though advisable to keep changing the engine speed and start pushing to high revs slowly and do take breaks or both ur bones and bike will ache..

in short ride with an easy throttle and breaks every 100 kms and stop to admire ur bike/nature call/chai/chat with gal friend, wear safety gear including helmet (for a change strap it) keep ur senses clean and alert for faster vehicles and those truckies

maintanence clean bike regularly and keep an eye out for any leaks and all while at it, service according to company prescribed cycle and well atleast change engine oil every 1500 kms, will cost some 200 bucks but really worth

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th October 2006 at 19:00.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 19:08   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes you can provided you dont rev your bike over 5k max idal would 4.5k rpm. Take more breaks at say every 100 kms.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 19:56   #4
BHPian

Get the engine oil changed before the ride and don’t ride at any constant engine rpm for more then few minutes and please don’t exceed 60-70kmph. When you reach your home, your motorcycle will be on or above the km limit prescribed for first service, so get it done asap else you will risk loosing the warranty.

As for maintenance just get the regular service done, make sure they put 20w50 JASO MA grade engine oil in you motorcycle. Keep the bike clean, especially the engine. Don’t remove chain cover, if there is some noise from the chain the clean and lubricate it, here is a small article on this http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290
yogesh sarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 20:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Remember to take those small breaks in between to give man and machine a rest. Do post some snaps and a report on travelogues once you are done. All the best...
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 20:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum bikerrocks, pls go through the forum rules again coz you already look like a defaulter to me (maximum smileys per post=2)

Anyways, as your bike is new you dont have to spend too much time into preparing for this long ride. Just make sure that your headlamps, engine oil, brake fluid, horn and tyre pressure is checked before you embark on this lovely ride.

p.s: 1)Pls wear helmet, full ankle shoes and gloves and if you are carrying luggage,

2)balance the weight in way that the weight doesnt tilt the bike to one side.

3)Try stopping atleast once every 200kms.

4) Get good sleep before you start the journey and try consuming sufficient amount of water as riding while its sunny can get quite dehydrating!!!

Happy riding!!! click some photo's on the way so that you can post them for us...
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 00:05   #7
BHPian

No probs absulutely mate. If u may know, the engines are already built to take torture for almost 300 hours non-stop. Now in ideal conditions, after the oil is topped and everything is functional…its time to blaze non-stop. U will get more tired than the engine coz ur butt will need more breaks than the engine. I've ridden my bike nono-stop for over 450kms with just one nature's call(engine was still at idle)and a total of 1090kms in a day(last weekend) and that too with bigger valves and a modified kit. So the stock is highly reliable and no probs whatsoever. Make sure u dont break before the machine does.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 09:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

500 kms non stop is no joke on a commuter bike designed for our country.... here bikes are not designed for looooooong rides... if it was a harley then you need not even ask this question....

keep in mind that like you are worried about ur bike... the rider needs rest too... you DO wanna get to ur point B in one piece isnt it...? so make sure you get at least a couple of stops if not long for few mins to say.... and ensure you drink plenty of water.... red bull is better if you like 'em....

all the best, drive sober n safe...

P.S. please read the announcement section.... too many smileys invite a warning from the mod's and other things like post deletion etc...

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th October 2006 at 09:03.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 09:49   #9
BHPian

a 20-30 minute break every 100 kms wud b a good option. let the engine cool down & give us some interesting snaps in the meantime. enjoy ur ride & dont strain ur new found love above 4-5k on RPM
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 10:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
500 kms non stop is no joke on a commuter bike designed for our country.... here bikes are not designed for looooooong rides... if it was a harley then you need not even ask this question....
didnt wanted to go OT but have you even done touring?
Old 13th October 2006, 17:19   #11

hey dude!! do i need to change engine oil jus after 250 kms?? also i shudn't ride at constant rpm for a long time ah??
bikerrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 18:28   #12
BHPian

You can do the ride without changing the oil; however it is better if you change it. It will cost between Rs.110-150 for a change of oil, this way all the metal particles that had come off during the initial kms will be out of the system. Also this will be a backup for the fact that you will be using the oil for over 500kms which is the time when the first service and engine oil change takes place.

The logic behind not keeping the engine in the same rpm range is to ensure the engine and power delivery would be smoother overall rather then at a specific rpm which happens if you tend to ride at a constant rpm for a long time especially on a new piston.
Old 13th October 2006, 18:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh_sarkar
LOL Yogesh You stole my words

biker keep the rev changing i.e. dont keep the bike constantly at one a certain rpm. dont worry much just take casual breaks as advised by others & it would be just fine

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th October 2006 at 18:32.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 19:14   #14
Team-BHP Support

havent u gone yet!! why are u here
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 19:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar
What makes you and technocrat ask this question??
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote