Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th October 2016, 16:38   #16
BHPian

Default Re: September 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis

Thank you for the extensively detailed answer!! Helped in clarifying completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Its NOT Duplicated
How come the Ninja650 exists in both sections under Bajaj and Kawasaki with different numbers?

Quote:
That I guess is the Z250... name not registered/published accurately by SIAM
The Z250 is there in the Kawasaki list.

Last edited by praful : 20th October 2016 at 16:40.
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
For all the hype it generated, looks like the Himalayan hasn't converted that to actual sales. Or is 1000 - 1400 units par for the course?

Cheers,
Vikram
While everyone loved the motorcycle's capabilities, it's the engine that disappoints on highways. Also, people would like to test it for themselves and then take the plunge. I believe the figures will improve.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
While everyone loved the motorcycle's capabilities, it's the engine that disappoints on highways. Also, people would like to test it for themselves and then take the plunge. I believe the figures will improve.
That is not a factor for RE sales, if that was indeed the case both the 350 and 500 would not have sold.

The reason for RE sales is never going to technical specs, its just something else!!

I believe the Himalayan numbers are fairly on track, it is a niche segment bike after all and will not generate the numbers of the regular product line.
praful is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Thank you for the extensively detailed answer!! Helped in clarifying completely.
Quote:
How come the Ninja650 exists in both sections under Bajaj and Kawasaki with different numbers?
Ninja 650 is on sale both from KTM and Kawasaki showrooms

Quote:
The Z250 is there in the Kawasaki list.
Looks it has been published as Ninja 250 in the Bajaj list

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
For all the hype it generated, looks like the Himalayan hasn't converted that to actual sales. Or is 1000 - 1400 units par for the course?

Cheers,
Vikram
For the aam janata who makes up the sales numbers.. a bike has to LOOK and SOUND like a BULLET.. else for them it is NOT a Royal Enfield.

A 100-150 monthly average for the Continental GT (after 2 years of its launch) is another proof of the same Public sentiment.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st October 2016 at 01:13. Reason: Please use the edit button instead of creating back-to-back posts in quick succession.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 17:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
That is not a factor for RE sales, if that was indeed the case both the 350 and 500 would not have sold.

The reason for RE sales is never going to technical specs, its just something else!!

I believe the Himalayan numbers are fairly on track, it is a niche segment bike after all and will not generate the numbers of the regular product line.
I agree with the RE feel, but the Himalayan does not feel like the traditional RE engines as it is not meant to do that. I believe RE has done a tremendous job at refining the Himalayan engine; though it comes at a cost of power, which it truly lacks, especially while overtaking a vehicle on the highway.

I might be wrong but to be frank enough I believe the Himalayan is a perfect motorcycle when it comes to riding in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai. It's absolutely at home when it comes to tackling those nasty potholes and riding on uneven surfaces which are abundantly available across the city.

I know potential buyers who want to see it perform hassle free in the longer run and then take a plunge to it. I truly believe the sales will improve when people experience this motorcycle on uneven city roads.

Last edited by Pratzgh1 : 20th October 2016 at 17:27.
Pratzgh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 20:37   #21
BHPian

I read the point that Sept Oct is the harvest period for two wheeler manufacturers, but is that really the reason for 264% jump in CBR 250 sales? I am a person who is waiting for the CBR after booking it two weeks back. So to me, if this shows increased demand, then waiting period is going skywards :(
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 23:40   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

A praiseworthy effort by Mr Anurag to compile and put forth sales figures of two wheelers for all interested to peruse the figures and the graphic displays/ charts and to draw logical conclusions. The figures speak for themselves and one can easily draw lessons about the sprinters and the laggards.

For instance, there are very focussed choices in the premium segment of bikes, for example in the cases of Triumphs and Harley Davidsons. Some models are very much sought after (may be for the pricing too, as the base models are sought in many cases) while compared to others, that show negligible to nil sales.

In the mass segment, I never knew that Suzuki trails so much far behind the biggies. The Suzuki Access sales are alarmingly low, not even one tenth of its "rival since birth" the Honda Activa sales.

Also, who would know that the TVS XL Super moped is the top seller and bread butter from the TVS stable ? These still move around with agility in the Bangalore traffic, competing with the likes of other much more powerful two-wheelers.

The presentation will surely improve with the passage of time but it is a splendid and accolade-deserving effort.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th October 2016 at 23:42.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 12:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Karizma would have probably managed better numbers, had they left it alone. The refresh feels like it was done in the enemy camp.
Must be a topic of many lunch time jokes at Bajaj Auto.

At just over 1 lakh on road, the P220 offers quite a lot in terms of road presence and to make the deal sweeter Bajaj threw in a festival offer via Bajaj Finance.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 18:58   #24
BHPian

Thanks a4anurag, for the detailed 2-wheeler sales numbers and analysis for the month of September.

Few observations from my side -

1. Looks like most of the 2-wheelers have recorded their best ever monthly sales since their launch or at least the best monthly sales for this year.

2. Activa has breached 3L mark and it single-handedly outsold all the cars sold out there in there in the month of Sep '16.

3. Looks like Bajaj had a blockbuster month with Platina, CT 100, Pulsar 150/180/220, Duke 200 - all registering their highest monthly sales for 2016.

4. 2 bikes which I thought was outsold by the competitors last month have made a comeback and how. Shine outsold the combination of Glamour/Super Splendour by more than 10K units registering its best monthly sales for 2016 - I think probably its best ever sales number since launch. Irony here is that even the Hero twins has registered their best monthly sales for 2016.

5. The 2nd case is Pulsar 150 outselling the Apache combination (160/180/200), by beating it by the margin of 12K units which is commendable. But, I remember Pulsar 150 alone was selling close to 60K units once upon a time.

6. Also remarkable are the numbers of Pulsar 220 - its sales have almost doubled compared to the start of this year. I guess it has to do with the competition (or the lack of it). The numbers of Avenger twins too seems to be increasing consistently and manages to outsell the V15 from the same stable. Bajaj must be laughing their way to banks with the Pulsar/Avenger/V15 combination.

7. While Activa crossed 3L, Splendour has managed to cross 2.5L (not sure whether this is their best ever monthly sales) and HF Deluxe is nearing 1.5L mark. All of their entry level models are a hit while their premium models languish at the bottom. They should just kill Karizma and should concentrate on Xtreme/Hunk combination.

8. Honda seems to be on a roll with Activa and with Shine too joining the party, they have registered their best ever monthly sales and seems to be closing on the gap with the leader Hero. Their Dream series too seems to be a hit in the rural areas, but lost the plot completely with Hornet/Unicorn 160.

9. Yamaha's combined scooter sales have been on a rise with Fascino and Ray bringing in good numbers for them - all their 3 scooters recorded their best month of 2016. Even their motorcycles seems to be recorded their best month this year, with the exception of Saluto and SZ. 5K numbers is very good for R15 and FZ series have touched 20K mark after a long time - overall a good month for Yamaha.

10. TVS has seen a jump in sales in its flagship scooter, Jupiter but all the other 3 scooters have negative growth - but Jupiter's numbers have more than made up for this dip. Their motorcycle numbers too have increased with all Start City, Sport and Victor registering their best month of 2016. Apache too seems to be consistently selling above 30K units, which is a good sign for them.
jpcoolguy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 19:10   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Anurag for the detailed report.
Looks to be a happy time for Two Wheeler Manufacturers. Honda is on a roll and with Dusshera and Diwali in October, I think a lot of records are going to be set when the October sales come out. Last year Honda set a record by selling 2.2 Lakh Two Wheelers on a single day of Dhanteras (Related Link). I think that record may be broken this year. The premium manufacturers also seem to be seeing a good spurt in growth.

300,000 Activa's in a month. No words..
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 09:31   #26
BHPian

Was wondering about trends for luxury/super-bikes & came up with this compilation. Just utilized data available in this thread to know market size & market share for these Super-bikes.

Note: Bikes with 250cc & above have been considered. Ninja numbers from Bajaj have been merged with Kawasaki numbers.
Data from many brands isn't available & hence not considered. This isn't a true representation of this segment/market but appropriate with given available data.

Market Share trend:
September 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-mc_1.png

Dec'15: 866 units across these brands.
Name:  MC_Dec15.PNG
Views: 474
Size:  11.4 KB

Sept'16: 1312 units across these brands, that's close to 50% market expansion in 10 months.
Name:  MC_Sept16.PNG
Views: 464
Size:  12.1 KB

Harley Davidson has been able to maintain their market share, Street 750 continues to be their best selling model.
Honda numbers look more mainly because of CBR250R, their market share is less if we discount those units.
Triumph has long lineup of bikes, but numbers are still low.
sukiwa is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 12:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Was wondering about trends for luxury/super-bikes & came up with this compilation. Just utilized data available in this thread to know market size & market share for these Super-bikes.

Note: Bikes with 250cc & above have been considered. Ninja numbers from Bajaj have been merged with Kawasaki numbers.
Data from many brands isn't available & hence not considered. This isn't a true representation of this segment/market but appropriate with given available data.
Hello,
Appreciate your efforts! But above 250cc also includes KTM 390 twins (Duke/RC). Have you included them? A large fraternity of riders moving up to superbikes use KTM as a stepping stone, they will be disheartened

I know RE doesn't come under luxury/superbike class but neither does CBR250 fit in here!

Mahindra Mojo is another 300cc machine doing good in the touring mindset of riders. Would like to visualize its share too.

I know I'm asking for more, but if you can divide this into 2 categories then we will have a clearer picture:
A] 250 to 600 cc
B] 600 cc and above

Thanks,
Surja
surjaonwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 12:22   #28
BHPian

Apart from all the Sales Figures Listed Above does the Industry Analysts provide how many Vehicles are being sold on Loans? Just to see if more and more people are buying Bikes and Scooter because of ease of Finance Schemes..
praveen_sathaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 12:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_sathaye View Post
Apart from all the Sales Figures Listed Above does the Industry Analysts provide how many Vehicles are being sold on Loans? Just to see if more and more people are buying Bikes and Scooter because of ease of Finance Schemes..
Not possible.

THE SIAM numbers are dealer dispatches / wholesale numbers and NOT actual retail sales numbers
payeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 16:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Not possible.

THE SIAM numbers are dealer dispatches / wholesale numbers and NOT actual retail sales numbers
So basically these are number of Vehicles Dispatched from Factory to Dealer Warehouse. Not Exactly Number of Vehicles which Appear On Road.
praveen_sathaye is offline   Reply With Quote