Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 24th November 2016, 23:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i : 7 years of ownership, experiments & ride-break-fix-repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR/46_Chet View Post

I still miss our Nagpur TBHP mini meets, we all should meet soon.
Yes, we can coordinate and meet sometime. I am not sure how many of us are in Nagpur as of now ?
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 13:25   #17
BHPian

Default Re: My Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i : 7 years of ownership, experiments & ride-break-fix-repeat

"The wind feels great and the bugs still taste the same!"

It has been 6 weeks since she's up and running again, and finally I think I should update this thread.

In the 3rd week of January 2017, I found a garage that agreed to work as per my needs and let me work on the bike if I want to, so I went ahead and dropped her off. Initially the problem was about the timing chain tensioner breaking however after we opened the engine, the block and piston were showing signs of wear and tear too. It was safe to replace them that being sorry about it later, so we went ahead and got a new set. The HT Coil (LHS) was damaged and hence she refused to crank initially, replaced it with a new one, replaced a spark plug (LHS) and she was alive again. It took 4 days to complete the work due to other commitments. I have to say, these 4 days were also probably the longest 4 days of my life. The wait was about to get over.

The running in part -

Having stayed away from her for a very long time, the first time I took her out was a very emotional affair. BHPian Cartik5477 accompanied me with his head ported CBZ Xtreme and we filled the bikes up at Mauli Petroleum, Baner before stopping for tea near Cummins (around 4 kms). I was taking it really slow, allowing the feeling to sink in, smiling inside my helmet all the while, it was just too much happiness all at once.

A somewhat busy schedule meant I could not ride much except for customary grocery trips and early morning tea meets within city limits. I did try breaking in the hard way as I always have liked, but after a few days I just could not do it considering the sheer number of decibels that used to add up while at it and doing it in city limits was a strict NO. So this is it then, it is probably a half hard - half conventional running in that has been done this time.

Two short rides -

I believe none of us needs a reason to ride / drive, it is just the other commitments that keep us away from it at times.

1. Lonavala Breakfast Ride:

Although I知 not much into posting reviews on Zomato and similar websites, I知 an ardent foodie who sometimes has an uncontrollable craving of having something on the plate with the exact same specs as I like. There痴 this place called Buaachi Misal in Lonavala (BHPians around nearby cities must be knowing) that serve a spicy misal (not really spicy if you ask a guy who hails from Nagpur) that satisfies the tastebuds.

One fine sunday morning, I woke up with that in mind and decided to ride there for breakfast. Being a sunday morning, friends were still waking up, called a couple of them and they refused, so I decided to ride solo. I was anyway in need of a solo ride albeit a short one as this was to get all the lost confidence back. Again, this was a very emotional affair. Halfway down the road and I recalled how I used to think about getting a new and reliable bike for a couple of years, how I was kind of tired of waiting for a Benelli TRK502, a BMW G310GS and also how I could to keep the parking space and of course the finances in check if I had to live with 3 vehicles at once. Upon reaching the said destination, everything and literally everything of that went to the recycle bin (to be restored after 1.5-2 years probably). This short ride was all I needed to get back on two wheels. I was taking it slow on the onward journey, enjoying the Diavels, the Tigers, the Striples and the N650s passing by, a common sight on the highway on weekends. On the return journey, I was pushing the bike to its limits in the first four gears, often cooling down after shifting to fifth.

My Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i : 7 years of ownership, experiments & ride-break-fix-repeat-img_20170226_112015.jpg
(some vandal broke the left rear indicator )

The bike still rides like a charm. There are a few unreliable things that I had mentioned earlier, but I am going to solve everything and live with this one as primary for more time than I had expected.

2. Raireshwar Ride / Trek:

A couple of weeks after the breakfast ride, I found myself in a situation where I could take 2 weekdays off. A trekker friend of mine had always wanted to go on a short bike ride and the time seemed perfect for that to finally happen. So the two of us decided to do a short ride + short trek and headed to a place called Raireshwar (82km away, in Bhor Taluka - Pune). The route was fun filled with quite a lot of corners, some sharp ascending and others mostly smooth flowing. It also had its fair share of off road patches where the bike would kind of scare me (bad tires) but somehow kept going.

My Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i : 7 years of ownership, experiments & ride-break-fix-repeat-img_20170302_171327.jpg
My Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i : 7 years of ownership, experiments & ride-break-fix-repeat-img_20170302_180838.jpg
My Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i : 7 years of ownership, experiments & ride-break-fix-repeat-img_20170303_122407.jpg

This was also the first time ever that I left the bike unattended overnight on a ride, but I believed this bloke who was friends with the nearby villagers and assured me at least 6 times that the bikes will be safe. It is this route that made me realize where do I connect with a winding road now, after having stayed away from motorcycles for quite a long time. I obviously could not corner with as much confidence as I used to do with earlier. I also had a few scary moments specifically on the sharp ascending ones, but again I felt a lot more composed when I rode down the same route the next day. One thing I壇 like to mention here is that I was carrying around 6kg weight in a saddlebag placed on the rear seat and hence handling felt much lighter than earlier. I had also changed the rear suspension setup to the shortest (earlier it was +2, change in setup wasn稚 related to this specific ride) and the added weight in the rear really helped me maneuver the bike better.

My Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i : 7 years of ownership, experiments & ride-break-fix-repeat-img_20170303_145008.jpg

I definitely cannot carry around weight on the bike to make the handling better which is why I want to change the front suspension setup as mentioned earlier. Also, the tires need to be changed at the earliest and I値l do it as and when I get the time.

Am I back on two wheels?

This is one question I think about and the answers are both Yes and No. Yes, because I feel a lot more better on the bike after two short rides and endless customary trips in city limits. No, because I know I can feel a lot more better after replacing the tires, going for a few more short rides and at least one 1000km+ ride. Once that is done, maybe I値l be able to say to myself, 的知 back on two wheels!.

All that said, this year痴 plan is going to be more customization with a utilitarian approach in areas that require attention,and less rides. Cheers!

Estimated KMs done: 1200kms
Estimated FE: 45+kmpl (city), 50+kmpl (highway)
VR/46_Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 12:15   #18
BHPian

How did you manage to get that FE? I can barely manage 35kmpl.
Pratzgh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 13:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
How did you manage to get that FE? I can barely manage 35kmpl.
Just the regular 5 minute engine idling in the morning if possible and/or taking it slow for the first few km.
Another thing to keep it consistent is sticking to one brand of fuel, mostly just one fuel bunk at all times, if possible. I have decided on 3 fuel bunks and have been regularly using them since a long time now, 1 in the city and 2 on the highway in either direction. As a result, I don't have much to worry about FE during most of my commutes and short rides.
VR/46_Chet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote