Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th November 2016, 20:56   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Bajaj Chetak to return

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
What would be the Chetak's differentiating USP, one that is valuable to the Customer. One that makes the customer look at the Chetak favourably when Activa is there as an option.
Here's an idea I'm sure Bajaj would use if they bring back the Chetak.
Milk the old ad theme song for Hamara Bajaj, either by keeping the music as is or a modern take on the old song that indicates that its the new Chetak with a hint of nostalgia.

And nostalgia is exactly why Hero Splendor sales have been more or less rock steady for decades despite them moving away from Honda few years ago.
You milk the old memories and people will come flocking to it.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 14:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

During our childhood days, we have grown up listening to the iconic jingle of Hamara Bajaj. Chetak was a steed that all craved. People paid advances and waited for almost a year to get their hands on one.
Yes, Chetak remained an Icon and probably the decision to discontinue their once bread and butter product line was a flawed strategy to start off with.
The Chetak of Yore:
Name:  bajajchetakp.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  27.9 KB

Fast forward to 2016. Chetak is long gone. The Company itself has shifted focus to Motorcycles and the two wheeler market has come a full circle from scooters to motorcycles and now back to scooters(gearless though).
Its an open market now and Chetak, other than the immense brand value it enjoys, may not really cut much ice with GenX.
Our father's generation may look fondly at the Chetak brand name and only lament later " Beta, Hamara Chetak is se to kai guna achcha tha, crib about the longevity, the build and the maintenance.

Yes, its a good thing to play with sentiments. But, business decision, may not be a great move for Bajaj.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 23:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I daily ride is a Discover 100T which I like to consider a limited edition, whereas it was phased out as it was considered too premium for a 100cc motorcycle to have 5 gears and 10.4 HP.
In Bajaj's case, most products come and go in a jiffy.

Except the pulsar series, only few other bike models have lasted a 5 year product life-cycle.
Avenger lasted because it is largely based on the pulsar platform itself.

They have withdrawn so many models within 1 or 2 years of launching.
Aspire, Wind125, XCD135, the countless A to Z alphabetic iterations of Discover..the list is endless.

There was a 150cc variant of discover which got launched, but I think by the time the first batch of vehicles reached the dealerships, Bajaj withdrew the model.

Apart from the general quality & fit and finish issue, I feel this uncertainty of product life cycle is also a major reason for the low resale value of most Bajaj vehicles.

Coming back to the topic, Bajaj Chetak should have a distinct USP to survive in the current market scenario.

I agree that if they position it in the premium category,some die-hard Chetak fans will buy it irrespective of the fit & finish and usual quality issues.
But that alone won't bring in the numbers that they target to achieve.

Considering Bajaj's lack of attention in the fit & finish department, and their lack of experience in manufacturing or selling premium & classic lifestyle products, such a premium product will die a much earlier death than the average Bajaj product life-span.

How about bringing in a performance scooter with the 150 cc Pulsar's Dtsi engine?
A 150 cc, 15 Bhp gearless Chetak! Wouldn't that create a new segment of its own?

It will definitely attract the youngsters.
Just like how Bajaj made 150 cc a mass-segment for bikes with the pulsar, I believe they can do the same with an affordable performance scooter range.

This is what they should do right now, and once the sales pick up and they are able to re-establish their dominance in scooter sales, they can comfortably bring in a lifestyle premium scooter later.
Then such a product from Bajaj will get better acceptance than what it may get right now.
VinodDevil81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 07:04   #19
BHPian

Bajaj Chetak was the "Toyota Corolla" of old India; a no-nonsense, reliable, boring scooter that you drive for 15 years. The current Bajaj Auto is more of a "Ford", a bit of everything but still an enthusiast at heart.

For me, a lot would depend on how Rahul Bajaj and his design team matches the gulf between these two worlds. Just don't screw "Chetak" for your experimental purposes.

I own some Bajaj stocks and have fond memories of my father's Chetak, please don't fumble on this Mr. Bajaj!
shobhit.shri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 21:05   #20
BHPian

So do we still tilt this scooter to start?

Now that will be truly nostalgic. ;-)

Last edited by Crazy_cars_guy : 30th November 2016 at 21:29.
Crazy_cars_guy is offline   Reply With Quote