Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th October 2006, 15:11   #1

And here lies the crux of my problem:

I am buying a bike (my first) and was considering the Avenger. Unfortunately, an Avenger owner whom i met told me to stay away from the Avenger due to the following issues:

1) He said that the bike doesn't handle well, and he had had his tires slide out from under him a couple of times (for no apparent reason). He said that it also happened if he attempted corners at lean angles approaching 45 degrees (?).
2) A gear box problem, which he did not elaborate upon, but the 180 dtsi engine is known to have a minor issue with false neutrals.
3) A problem with his electricals. (all got fried, whatever that means ...)

A couple of Enfield owners present at the time then proceded to tell me about the joys of owning an Enfield.

So, after a little fact finding, I have discovered that both cost about the same (Rs. 71,000 +/- 1000, on the road in bombay), and have a similar after sales service timetable.

But here is where the Avenger shines ... it is cheaper to maintain, it requires a LOT less tlc, and it is about 65% more fuel efficient. (53 Rs/friggin' litre!)

I also prefer the cruiser styling and the low ride height of the Avenger, something for which Enfield charges Rs. 97,000 in the shape of the Thunderbird (waaaay out of my price class).

So, i throw my problem to the public of this forum... Any advice as to which i should buy? Any (more detailed) info about the claimed pros of the Enfield, and the cons of the Avenger? Any further criticism of either of the two bikes? Is the Enfield really better suited to long rides? Is the Avenger seat all that uncomfortable?

I would honestly prefer the Avenger, since as a student i am short on both time and money. Spending time, and a wad of $$$s taking care of and upgrading an Enfield is not something i look forward to. But the drive quality and handling issues (which may or may not be true) may just push me over to the Bullet Std.

I will be making my final decision in a couple of weeks, and any info/advice will be most welcome.

p.s.: any extra features i just have to have? any good deals (first hand machines only please) that anyone knows of? please post anything that you can think of, it will be very much appreciated ...
Aditya Lalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 16:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

I recommend the Avenger, solely because it is easier to live with as compared to a Bullet. Minor quirks and loads of quality issues still remain with the Bullet. Definitely not for the first time biker.Its better to start with the Avenger now,rather than pouring your time and parents' money into a bullet. You can always buy a bullet with your own money (I plan to do the same, once I start earning ).
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 18:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Lazy? Get Avenger. Bull will need some maintance ( I had one one year back, rode it for 4yrs or so and sold it). At heart, I love the bull and I think the newer ones has less oily oily leaky problems. I sold teh bike coz I loved teh looks of Avenger and its 180cc. I love the bull coz its a bull!

I would seriously suggest that you take a test drive of the new 5S. And remember, STD one has gears on RHS and hence you may have some problem getting used to it.

My Avenger hasnt had any problems till now ( one yr now, 16-18k). I have done long trips on bull and avnger and love the bull for its comfort and sturdiness, but that doesnt mean Avenger is bad at all!

Oh, not all Bajaj dealers deal with Avenger which is a big problem!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 20:01   #4
BHPian

my vote will go for avenger since bullet is for hardcore bullet fans. its share of problems is beyond any non-bullet lovers abilities.

but once you are addicted to bullet you just cant drive anything else.

LITTLE STORY TO PROVE MY POINT
my friend's father always discouraged him to ride a bike cause of an accident he met some years ago. but one day my friend bought a second hand bullet & took it home.
cut to scene 2, when he woke up in the morning his father had already left for his office on the bullet leaving his OHC VTEC behind. guess bad habbits die hard.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 20:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
I recommend the Avenger, solely because it is easier to live with as compared to a Bullet. Minor quirks and loads of quality issues still remain with the Bullet. Definitely not for the first time biker.Its better to start with the Avenger now,rather than pouring your time and parents' money into a bullet. You can always buy a bullet with your own money (I plan to do the same, once I start earning ).
I second that....and plus with the fuel price going up the bull will burn a BIG hole in your pockets (still i love the bull).
But as you are a student and also a first timer on bikes (i assume) go for the avenger
alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 20:11   #6
BHPian

Unless and untill you have some prior knowledge of Enfield Bullet bikes or atleast know something about the bike I would stay CLEAR from the Thunderbird. One should really know that bike to have it running well.
Eliminator on the other hand like most Jap bikes is was easy to maintain and so should the Avenger, but being made by Bajaj expect it to have a few hidden GREMBLINS, but should be far better than the bullet I'd say.
The lights on the Avenger is class leading(thanks to the Eliminator), the driver seating is good, pillion seating is not that good, its WAY too NARROW, but that's an easy fix with any local seat wala. Rest is all well, better fuel economy, right pricing and low CG.
Akkiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 20:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Aditya Lalla ,
Dude bullet has its on class but this is going to be you first bike so i suggest you should go with avenger coz bullet has a different way of riding you cant treat bullet as a normal bike and all the locan mech. cant fix a bull. so you shoul have some basics about the bikes then only you can go for a bull.
now take avenger, its a good bike overall but with small issue like chain getting loose, not so good handlin but + points are the bike is cheaper good style better FE... rest all is upto you.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 21:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya Lalla
1) He said that the bike doesn't handle well, and he had had his tires slide out from under him a couple of times (for no apparent reason). He said that it also happened if he attempted corners at lean angles approaching 45 degrees (?).
2) A gear box problem, which he did not elaborate upon, but the 180 dtsi engine is known to have a minor issue with false neutrals.
3) A problem with his electricals. (all got fried, whatever that means ...

...I would honestly prefer the Avenger,...
Hey Ad,

Not that i am familiar with the avenger at all, but

1) It sounds like even though the avenger might not handle as well, tyres sliding out from under him might be more of a tyre issue than bike issue!

2) A gearbox problem on the avenger is termed as a "problem" but on the bullet the same thing would be a "characteristic".

3) Unless other avenger owners have complained about electrical problems, i wouldnt give this too much thought, it could happen on any bike. Infact, i have seen a bullet's electricals catch fire in front of my eyes (martin's bike, though it was a `66!).

Seems like you have decided on the avenger, and just needed some encouragement and assurance that theres nothing wrong with it..... give this thread a week, and then go for it!

cya
R

ps - Oh, and do put up an Intro..., and also you should post some stuff from your trips in the travelogues section...

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th October 2006 at 21:33.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 22:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

boss. . .m a first time biker. . .means my first buy is a second hand 24 years old standard 350 cc bull.

it does have its share of probs (biggest being fuel economy and constant maintainance). . . but boy it is sweet. . .the bull is sweet. . .she sounds like an angel . . . the constant thumping of the bull is sweet. . . the diffuclt maintainence makes the bike riding more pleasurable.
u understand the value of every part of the bike rather than take the same for granted.. . .

so dont be intimidated by the bull just becase ur first time rider, she is equally harsh on PROs who have been riding for years together if u dont give her the respect she deserves.

i would suggest if you have the time and patience to maintain the bull then buy it. . or else . . the avenger.

keep in mind bullet is always 'there' and other bikes try to be 'there'.
p.s : no offences to avenger riders.
ac 427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 00:56   #10

Ahhh, thank you all. I really appreciate the number of responses (especially considering that they're all within the first 12 hours of my posting . It's good to see that the Avenger isn't as bad as it was made out to be ... and even though i love the whole enfield range, the total cost of ownership (aftermarket, maintainance, etc.) is waaay too much for my meager scholarly pockets. plus, i really don't have the time to sit with a mechanic and tweak my bike up every so often.

Any forum members who have some valid points of criticism (of the Avenger or the Bullet), please bring them up soon. I am unlikely to be patient much longer ... I have been waiting for this bike for too long now.

So, Rehaan, i'll wait out the week, but currently the balance seems to be shifting in favour of the Avenger.

btw, i was thinking of posting pics from this years speed run, but since i'm still a n00b member, you can go ahead and do the honours (if you still have the pcs ie.). heh, i wonder if the owner of the NOS kitted fiat is a Team-Bhpian ...

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th March 2007 at 12:37. Reason: last name removed :)
Aditya Lalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 10:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya Lalla
btw, i was thinking of posting pics from this years speed run, but since i'm still a n00b member, you can go ahead and do the honours (if you still have the pcs ie.). .
N00Bs can post pics....heres how.

Just make sure you post in the existing speedrun report thread. (here are some search tips).

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote