Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 19th December 2016, 12:38   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonov32 View Post
The dual channel ABS kicked in for sure because for a moment I was sure I would have skidded a little, but there was no sign of that. On the other hand, the bite from the brakes was a little less than what I would have preferred given the additional momentum owing to the added weight. This could well have been a unit specific thing or the fact that i only use the rear brakes. It was definitely not 'Street Shoddy' but could have been better. Please do comment on the braking as its such an important factor.
+1 to what payeng said.

I am assuming you have experience on other bikes as well, but just a kind suggestion from my side as well.

The RE's weight distribution is neutral, and if lucky, one can get away by stomping only the rear brake in panic braking. But, the same on a contemporary bike will result in a fishtail ride to hell. It is safer to use both the brakes (70% front-30% rear or 60-40 based on weight distribution) & engine brake(if our reflexes permit). ABS would only pitch in to save us if we falter with the above.

Please correct me if am wrong.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 13:01   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
...Or if Kawa comes with the N650 with ABS, then that'll be my new commuter...er...BIKE.
I think all bikes are required to have ABS from Apr 2017 or so. It's just a matter of time that no one can escape without having to add it. Even am waiting for the rule to come into force.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 13:30   #138
BHPian

Talking Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonov32 View Post
The 6 Nm jump in torque does help in offsetting the increased weight to an extent. But, if you are coming from a mid-category bike you might feel the acceleration to be slightly on the lower side. For someone 'upgrading' from an RE, would almost be like waking up from a coma after 50 years. I had always been an RE fan but then I also love my Nokia 3310 and for the exact same reason.
Wake me up, when September (2017) comes!
himalyan_ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 14:03   #139
BHPian

Couldn't get a test ride yet, but I did checkout the bike in person at the showroom here in Bangalore. Heard the bike being started up as well.

On the whole, this is such a leap for Bajaj. And, this is coming from the owner of a 9 year old bike, which at the time of its launch generated similar waves of excitement was the most cutting edge bike of its time.

I could go on and on about how great the quality perception is and how it looks like its built to last, I had observed some things during the short time I spent with the bike.

1. The ABS wires are really flimsy and loose, it can quite easily get stuck somewhere and get cut/broken. Even though the engine on the whole looks neat, couple of wires here and there were not secured and could possible have issues over a period of time.

2. There was strange hum from the engine though it was quite muted, depending how good the engine is metallurgically, that may escalate into something similar to how poorly maintained NS200's sound like.

3. The display on the tank looks like an afterthought and should be eliminated completely, no point in having anything over there. I know they are aiming for the cruiser stuff on the bike, but on a bike like this makes no sense to have anything displayed there as most folks will end up using a tank bag which will block the view anyway.
praful is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 14:19   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I see that many people are not happy with enfiield . I have not owned an Enfield, and wonder why it is selling like hot cakes even now with many unhappy users. Don't people get feedback from existing users and read reviews before purchase? I do not believe that people choose it just because of lack of options, there is CBR 250, Mojo, Pulsar 200 NS, adventure, KTM etc.

I hope Dominar will be comfortable for tall people. From the pictures, the seat height looks low, but the foot peg position looks comfortable with a relaxed posture.
You have to ride one to know, most complaints are from people who have never ridden it or have borrowed one and taken a short ride.

Having owned 5 of them and also a KTM D390. We have to look at these old machines for what they are lazy bikes with a lot of character, not some plastic bucket with astronomical mileage and reliability.

That said the Duke also needs a lot of TLC to keep it going well. The new Enfields are pretty reliable and good fun to ride too, so I don't know where the complaints come from, everyone who has one is smiling and fiercely protective of their Enfields.

The Dominar was fine. I have a gripe with the seat height too, expected it to be the same or more than the D390, not happy sitting with my knees so far up.
amitc7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 15:07   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
My 2 cents on the Enfield vs Dominar debate....it is no tourer.
I agree with your views, I am on a similar boat. I got enfield because at that time there were not many abuse friendly mid-heavy engine bikes except cbr250 which I could not like even for the good package it offered.

I liked Inazuma but Suzuki thought it was wise to rip off customers. So I dragged. I am definitely dumping c5 for Dominar as soon as it sells in my city.

It's bulky but modern, it's just enough powerful for nicer touring duties and not aggressive like racy bikes. To top it all we can expect good service from bajaj. A bit better milage than c5 won't hurt as well.

Bajaj has made an excellent package and its well thought out too underlining their positioning of the bike. So Kudos to them for understanding another type of customers who would like Dominar which no one was directly catering to earlier.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th December 2016 at 04:28. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
saargoga is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 15:09   #142
BHPian

I haven't got a chance for a TD yet. Those who have, can you share your views on exhaust sound of Dominar. I suspect that the exhaust sound used in the teaser videos is not the real one.

Just curious to know how it sounds.
Old 19th December 2016, 15:57   #143
BHPian

To add to the ongoing D vs E debate:
RE as a company was almost dead in 90s, mostly used by a few oldies, doodhwallas and a very few handful of enthusiasts. Thanks to the first generation Thunderbird which is the sole reason for REs survival/revival. Not a thoroughbred tourer but thunderbird had very different stance and stood out from the other (mostly 100-150cc commuter bikes) in the market. It was positioned as and to an extent did look close to a cruiser style motorcycle. What worked in REs favour was that economy was opening, disposable income was improving and people esp in cities like bangalore, delhi, pune, mumbai etc were opening-up to concept of touring or long distance travel on motorcycle for fun or leisure purpose. Add to that the brand nostalgia the dud dug sounds which we all would have heard and yearned for in our childhood days. Further add to that the lack of any other 200+cc option until early 201. I still remember when i got delivery of my classic 500 in early 2010, it was most powerful bike in production in our country @ 27.5 bhp. CBRs, KTMs, etc all came post that. So until a few years back (2011), when people though of touring on motorcycle in india, RE was the natural choice, as it was ruggedly built (all metal), had good lowend torque, weight hauling cabability and that macho brand image. During these years, it had slowly established an image of a tourer as RE based riding groups started mushrooming in cities, riding to leh, and all over the country. Visibility was the key, and REs were visible as touring bikes in india. Events such as rider mania added to the cause.

Cut to 2016, and REs are technically not the best of bikes available, even for touring. Although they have been trying to create their niche in the middle weight segment by developing newer products (himalaya) and platforms (700twin?) and building on that retro classic brand image. Intent is right, and am sure they will be there for a long time, BUT YES, they will definitely loose customers to better products which India is now opening up to. We already have seen a few examples in this thread where RE owners are willing to shift loyalties. I have already sold both my bullets and am happy with my 390 in city and versys 650 for touring. Folks who are serious about touring realize the shortfalls of RE (such as power, handling, braking, etc) esp in comparison with other bikes available today and sooner or later will trade loyalties. What is good is that in all this, we the customers are winner. In 2007 i did not have much choice but in 2017, i will have plenty including the Dominar and choose and pick what suits my personal requirements best. Yay!!
nasirkaka is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 16:49   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
  • Riding position is far from cruiser-like, regular height bars and sporty-rearset footpegs. More standard/naked bike ergonomics.
Then why is everyone talking about this being the next best thing to happen in touring? My understanding is that touring = long hours hunched up on the bike.

If the stance is aggressive, where most of the weight is on the hands/arms like sports bike and the feet are rear set, then how can you "tour" comfortably?
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 19:38   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
2. There was strange hum from the engine though it was quite muted, depending how good the engine is metallurgically, that may escalate into something similar to how poorly maintained NS200's sound like.
Came across the below article & I was especially on...
Quote:
Although the powerplant of the Dominar 400 has been based on that of the KTM 390 Duke, there are a lot of differences between them. The engine block is the same but the Dominar 400ís mill employs a rather simpler and cheaper single overhead cam (SOHC) as opposed to the double overhead cam (DOHC) unit as seen on the KTM. The Austrian two-wheeler giant also used NaCaSil cylinder coating on the 390 Duke which Bajaj has skipped, to drop costs. Also, the motor hasnít been built using lighter and more expensive material like the 390ís powerplant which weighs a meagre 36kg
If this news is authentic...then...the only question I have is...Why?

Source - https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...ews_reco_strip
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 19:55   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
the only question I have is...Why?
To cut costs, its the same story with the D200 and 200NS I would imagine.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 20:43   #147
BHPian

Back from a very brief ride experience of the D400.

Summary : At Indian product that is almost as good as the best international brands.

+ Handsome muscular looks,
+ Flawless built quality,
+ Engine feel is quite good,
+ Frame and chassis is Rock Solid
+ ABS, Full LED headlamp, Slipper clutch
+ Exhaust note is very sweet

Wishlist:

Wish it was 10-15 kgs lighter.

One also needs to be at least 5.7-5.8 ft to ride with confidence (or need to wear boots/riding boots with thick soles)
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 21:23   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranPatil View Post
Just curious to know how it sounds.
Why not pay a visit to Bajaj showroom, even if they haven't started test rides, at least you'll touch-n-feel-n-hear of the bike.

It does sound nice, somewhat bassy (low pitched) note like the old CBZ and Apache RTRs at low-mid revs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
White is actually more visible at night. So, safety feature?

I'm quite fed up of people throwing these terms - cruiser, tourer, commuter, etc. to describe a bike. Why do WE need to label a bike as a cruiser or a tourer is completely beyond me. People tour on a puny Kinetic Honda scooter also.
Yes, white is more visible but in the night, that is negligible without light incident on the painted surface, most of which is only visible from profile view , hence not particularly helpful. The main factor in visibility are the front and rear lights , and sure enough the front lights are hard to miss.

As for classification, it's a convenience. Bajaj itself doesn't call it a tourer and didn't intend to make it one. Sure one can tour on a Bajaj Chetak or TVS XL or an R1 , or take a Triumph Rocket on dirt trail - but that's not the intended usage nor are they the most suitable designs for that sort of riding. The Dominar lacks any means of luggage mounting - no bungee hooks, plastic tank won't help with magnetic tank bags, and no sturdy rails to mount hard panniers or top box.

Yet, in this budget, there's nothing else besides the Mojo, REs , and the CBR250R that make better tourers, and they are all better for touring than a Kinetic Honda or HH Splendor or Unicorn. The Dominar isn't a tourer, but that's what a lot of bikers will put it to use for in the absence of a true touring oriented machine - something like a mini-Versys or mini-Goldwing with 2 features lacking in all : Dominar, CBR250R, Mojo -except for fuel capacity, REs (but exposed metal supports can be used to tie down luggage or make custom brackets for hard panniers):
  • large fuel capacity/range
  • luggage mount options
  • supple suspension and comfortable seats for 8-10 hour sessions - thick cushion and backrest for pillion highly appreciated
  • accessories or mounts for GPS/navigation , either inbuilt or with space for mounts and charging point for the same
Closest thing is the Benelli 600GT - 27 litre tank, hard luggage mounts provided (and the seating/ergonomics and wind protection )

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Then why is everyone talking about this being the next best thing to happen in touring? My understanding is that touring = long hours hunched up on the bike.

If the stance is aggressive, where most of the weight is on the hands/arms like sports bike and the feet are rear set, then how can you "tour" comfortably?
It's probably because of the long and low visual stance, and Bajaj initally calling it CS400 for Cruise Sport. A true cruiser style has high bars , at chest height, with feet forward , the knew angle being obtuse.

As for being the best thing for touring, it isn't intended to be one but due to the performance (better than any other sub-2lac rupee bike) , size and weight , it lends itself well to highway riding , with adequate power and refinement to hold 100+ speed without much effort and vibration/noise even with pillion and luggage, thus the touring interest. The lack of inbuilt luggage mounts and 13 litre capacity are still limiting, but not as prohibitive, but most tourers make do with soft luggage and tanking up more often. The lack of windscreen too , but people will probably find some adaptation/jugaad or live with the windblast.

The stance isn't aggressive, it's upright with a mild forward lean depending on one's height, torso/arm length and butt placement on seat. It's got less lean than a CBZ or any of the sporty 200s. The footpegs are rearset, but mild enough to be comfortable.

Last edited by Ricci : 19th December 2016 at 21:26.
Ricci is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 21:36   #149
BHPian

The bike looks promising. But I don't think that there will be too many of them on the road. Even the non-ABS version will go close to 1.5 lacs on road here in Pune. Not everyone has the liberty to spend that much amount and those who have it I am not sure how many will invest in a new Bajaj product. So there will be some exclusivity if not much. I don't see too many RS200s for that matter in comparison to REs.

For prospective R3 customers, the ABS version is rumored to be launched soon next year. I was at the India Superbike Festival organized in Pune a few days ago and had a little chat with the dealer at the Yamaha stall. He mentioned about the ABS version for R3 will be launched soon.

Last edited by aghate : 19th December 2016 at 21:40.
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 12:09   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

This

For me personally, this will be the biggest deciding factor. If it's got a sporty stance, there's no real advantage for touring, I might as well get the new Duke 390 next year and enjoy all that performance and low weight.
marcussantiago is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread