Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 22nd December 2016, 10:58   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Please suggest the bike you think would give me most of the above requirements if not all.

Appreciate your time.
Off topic:

hey Vik,

RC390 is the best bet if you need a quick, fun to ride motorcycle without wind blast. But forget taking your wife on the pillion, for the 2 reasons:

1. Too high pillion, and it isn't a comfortable place even though the pillion seat is very soft

2. With a pillion rider, entire weight will end up on your wrists and shoulders on the RC390. Not a nice feeling if you ask me.

If you take away RC390 out of the list, there is another option, Duke 390 + visor. But then, pillion seat is again not big and comfy. We should also keep in mind that the tank range is not much.

CBR250R perfectly fits the bill, but it isn't a fun to ride bike(comparing RC390). But it can give GT a run for its money upto 110 kmph. The seating is slightly forward slant and pillion weight does act on your wrists and shoulders in the cbr too. If you are not a rider who rides regularly, CBR250R becomes the safest and most logical upgrade from the FZ16. FZ16 to 44BHP is quite a jump, unless you are an experienced rider.

My suggestion is Yamaha YZF R3! It is almost as quick as RC390, more comfortable and refined than the CBR250R. It is a little pricey, but fits all your requirements with a bang!! Quick- check, comfy- check, wind protection- check, tank range- check, looks and quality- check. But it lacks ABS.

If Bajaj plans on launching a faired version of the dominar, it is going to be the best for your requirements. But it may take time.

PS: If possible, Please convince better half that touring two-up on motorcycle is risky, and get the KTM RC390 Retain the FZ for city run about with the better half. :-)

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd December 2016 at 15:20. Reason: Removing 3rd smiley ;)
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:47   #182
BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
A cruiser, by definition, has a foot-forward stance as well as higher handlebars for an overall relaxed position, which is great for all-day-long highway rides. I'm really not sure the Dominar counts. Which is sad because I was really looking forward to that!
Cruisers with footforward stance are more suited towards straight highway like we get in US and Australia. Touring in india is mix of highways, twistys/ghats, shabby state highways, broken country roads, and no roads. In this type of mix terrain what works best is an adventure style posture, something similar to a GS or a himalayan. Basically almost upright body posture with foot-pegs placed just inline with spine angle, This is relaxed enough and with a slight pressure on the footpegs, once can raise his bum. Works best in our indian riding condition but again one handle bar TO seat TO foot peg Geometry does not work for everyone as their anatomy is different. That is where minor adjustments like bar raisers, foot peg lowering kit, seat mods etc come in play to make the bike perfectly suited to ones shape and size.

Quote:
(2) Last Saturday at the launch, I observed the Dominar's lights up close and looking into the headlights, I wasn't dazzled/blinded like I expected to. The lights also didn't light up the outside area of the showroom (there is a glass wall in front of the bikes on display). That raised doubts in my mind as to how effective they'd be in real world.
PLease dont doubt a bike just based on how the headlight is. In most cases, the stock headlamp is inadequate. Forget dominor, the 7L+versys comes with pathetic headlights and one needs to immediately upgrade or buy a pair of aux lights.

Quote:
Aftermarket lights need more jugaad - wiring, mount brackets and then there's the risk of being stolen, or easily damaged in a minor fall.
I have a pair of aux light from a-z motorcycle store on my 390 for last 3.5 years. Its been doing its duty perfectly without a single hiccup so far. moreover, we have various types of clamps available for mounting these lights and also ways to make connections where it can be restored to factory settings incase of a warranty related claim. As for being stolen, the entire bike is also at risk. I have a pair of Denali D4 aux lights costing 25K on my versys and leave it everywhere. Its been safe so far. SHHHHH... dont tell anyone.

So i guess at this price point, dominar is a pretty good proposition, for a mix kind of riding. It should do cities, ghats, highways, and everything in a moderately decent way. I am planning to go test ride it this saturday. Any idea where in bangalore i can get a longish test ride. I dont think i will be buying it, as i have been waiting for my crush that is the baby GS.

Quote:
PS: If possible, Please convince better half that touring two-up on motorcycle is risky, and get the KTM RC390 Retain the FZ for city run about with the better half.
Risk is everywhere , but if there is budget, there is versys 650. Height adjustable wind protection, good on power and torque figures, adjustable front and rear shocks, ABS, very comfy rider and pillion seat, and lots of customization options.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 22nd December 2016 at 11:54.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:16   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
PS: If possible, Please convince better half that touring two-up on motorcycle is risky, and get the KTM RC390 Retain the FZ for city run about with the better half.
MEN WILL ALWAYS BE MEN

I was thinking on the same lines to be very honest and any which way one looks at it, the VFM KTM RC 390 gives is just unbelievable to say the least.

I did like the D400 and everything about this bike really showcases Bajaj's evolution in India and their uncanny ability to tap into the market.

It is almost like:

Other Manufactures Come with a New Launch,...Bajaj Just Arrives !!

I would really hang in till D400 comes with some sort of fairings like the RS200, and hopefully we have the RC390 with the latest updates from the 2017 Duke.
Vik0728 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:34   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

Risk is everywhere , but if there is budget, there is versys 650. Height adjustable wind protection, good on power and torque figures, adjustable front and rear shocks, ABS, very comfy rider and pillion seat, and lots of customization options.
I was just giving him a "convincing excuse".

With Versys, we are talking about 6+ lakh category motorcycles. We could as well buy the Benelli 600gt, which is as capable as the Versys 650. But when it comes to budget motorcycling (below 4 lakhs), there is no beating 2 motorcycles for their VFM package

1. Dominar 400 - Fast , Touring / practical, safe all round motorcycle, at 1.7 lakhs

2. KTM RC390 - pure fun, supercar acceleration experience, superlative handling- all at 2.5 lakhs

Now if you ask me whether versys 650 is 2.5 times(like their price ratio) as fun as RC390, or 4 times as practical as Dominar 400,-no! But agreed is that a person looking at Versys 650 is not going to even consider either of the above bikes.

The next vfm motorcycle is way way beyond as Z800! (Just my opinion). If I had a budget of 8 lakhs for a motorcycle, I would pick the CBR650F though, jack of all trades.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd December 2016 at 12:39.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:26   #185
BHPian

Liked this new review:

payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:35   #186
BHPian

Quote:
I was just giving him a "convincing excuse".
Yes, yes, i just got the versys in pic as its almost satisfies all his requirements including pillion comfort, ofcourse at a very high price point. GT650 is hardly selling in comparison as the V scores more in almost all the points except engine note from the inline-4. Kawasaki is also better know brand in India. Versys is not at all value for money in comparison but when given some stick, fun factor is there!!. But again its meant for a different purpose altogether.

For someone getting back to biking after a break - dominar would be a good entry point. Am sure we will soon have some jugaad for all the small shortcoming like lack of a tall windscreen.

I have a first gen 390 and ride it to work everyday, and as you mentioned, its value per buck is difficult to beat. BUT babaj is almost there with the Dominar. Its a superb value at that price point, and i would have traded my 390 for this one (mainly for comfort factor, ofcourse after a longish test ride), but my heart is set on the baby GS. Will test ride it the day after and get an up close feel.
Old 22nd December 2016, 16:54   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Off topic:

1. Too high pillion, and it isn't a comfortable place even though the pillion seat is very soft

2. With a pillion rider, entire weight will end up on your wrists and shoulders on the RC390. Not a nice feeling if you ask me.
I do not think it even qualifies as a seat. It is too slippery, awkwardly shaped and not soft either. And there is nothing to hold on to as well.
I always feel like bowing down and saluting the brave souls who ride pillion on RC390.
Old 22nd December 2016, 17:09   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

I have a pair of aux light from a-z motorcycle store on my 390 for last 3.5 years. Its been doing its duty perfectly without a single hiccup so far. moreover, we have various types of clamps available for mounting these lights and also ways to make connections where it can be restored to factory settings incase of a warranty related claim. As for being stolen, the entire bike is also at risk. I have a pair of Denali D4 aux lights costing 25K on my versys and leave it everywhere. Its been safe so far. SHHHHH... dont tell anyone.
Slightly offtopic, but can you please share more details of the aux lights setup on your Duke 390. Asking as i had installed one (local one from Pune), but it caused issues with my display unit. Still looking at long term options, especially while touring. If its already mentioned in the Duke 390 thread, please direct me to the appropriate page.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Ronald

Last edited by scarecrow : 22nd December 2016 at 17:10. Reason: formatting correction
Old 22nd December 2016, 17:31   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Checked the Dominar. Riding stance is tad sporty.

For those who want the Dominar and yet an upright stance, a "half-one" inch handlebar riser would do the trick

It's a one piece handlebar. Would be easy to fit a handlebar riser
So, I had my go at the D-400 today. The road was a typical city stretch where I could not push it beyond 80kmph for very short stretches. I had the salesman sitting pilion behind me.

Here are a few observations: -

1. Payeng is right, the posture is sporty. Also, just handlebar risers wont make it like a cruiser, the handle needs to be lifted and pulled slightly backwards to make it accessible when sitting almost upright. I just hope it is possible.

2. The engine indeed sounds like a Bajaj. I've ridden Pulsars long enough so I know that sound. Not the exhaust sound, the engine sound and feel.

3. 6 gears are actually a lot and a gear shift indicator would be a big, useful addition.

4. I sat pillion for around a km and while it was better than the R1/Duke etc, there is still a lot of scope for comfort.

5. Switchgear feels good, as do the other fittings, and a main stand is not missed. What I did miss is the kick starter. If the battery dies, how do I start it? Push it in 2nd gear and start it like the scooters of yore? What if it runs away?

6. The ride quality was indeed good though I didnt really take it over bad roads, since there weren't any.

7. Bajaj is making a serious effort to wean away RE owners towards this bike and that could be clearly seen at the showroom. Hope it works.

8. Wherever you tap on the fuel tank, it sounds plasticky. Is the entire tank made of plastic?

9. Though I could feel engine heat near my thighs, it was not bothersome like my Electra. Pretty subdued. I m sure liquid cooling has its advantages.

10. It didnt' feel heavy, or awkward to manoeuvre, in traffic, with a pillion, and that is good.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 18:45   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So, I had my go at the D-400 today. The road was a typical city stretch where I could not push it beyond 80kmph for very short stretches. I had the salesman sitting pilion behind me.

Here are a few observations: -

1. Payeng is right, the posture is sporty.

Also, just handlebar risers wont make it like a cruiser, the handle needs to be lifted and pulled slightly backwards to make it accessible when sitting almost upright. I just hope it is possible.

I don't want a "Cruiser" styled pulled back handlebars. I HATE cruisers and it's riding position

I just want slightly upright riding posture since I am used to the riding posture of the Impulse

A simple 0.5-1.0 inch handle bar riser would do the trick for me.
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:00   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
2. The engine indeed sounds like a Bajaj. I've ridden Pulsars long enough so I know that sound. Not the exhaust sound, the engine sound and feel.
Despite this being from a KTM's engine?

I am in the market for a bikes and one scooty. Two bikes, yes. While I am contemplating between CB Hornet 160R and FZ-fi, I can't come to a conclusion for the other one. But this time around, I want a sharp bike and it appears that while Dominator is a very good cruiser [a better CBR-250R] it is nothing beyond it.
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:01   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
, I want a sharp bike and it appears that while Dominator is a very good cruiser [a better CBR-250R] it is nothing beyond it.
Not as a CBR250R owner, but as a motorcycle lover, I won't accept that dominar is a better motorcycle than CBR250R. It's powerful, vfm etc agreed. But the honda has been tested and tried. A lot of people have done 6 digits on the odo.

Mine for instance is closing in on 50k km's and it feels good as new. Bajaj dominar is yet to prove itself. I hope it proves to be reliable.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd December 2016 at 20:08.
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:20   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Not as a CBR250R owner, but as a motorcycle lover, I won't accept that dominar is a better motorcycle than CBR250R. It's powerful, vfm etc agreed.

But the honda has been tested
Had sampled the CBR250 when it was launched.. the feel of the Dominar is better than that

The CBR250R had its fair share of initial quality issues in india, despite what we think of the Honda image

Like you Said, give the Dominar some time to prove.

Last edited by payeng : 22nd December 2016 at 20:22.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:41   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Like you Said, give the Dominar some time to prove.
if it proves, and it feels 90% as lively as the RC390, i will happily trade my cbr for the dominar.

Bajaj doing a blunder by not giving tier II cities display bikes. Bajaj showrooms here tell me it will take a couple more months to have a test ride of the dominar here. Only Chennai and Coimbatore get dominar now.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd December 2016 at 20:51.
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:50   #195
BHPian

Quote:
if it proves, and it feels 90% as lively as the RC390, i will happily trade my cbr for the dominar.
Completely different character.. chalk and cheese- the KTM and the Dominar.

Also if you had any intention to trade... you would have already done that with the KTMs
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread