Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 22nd December 2016, 21:11   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
C.

Also if you had any intention to trade... you would have already done that with the KTMs
Intention can't buy motorcycles brother. Cash does BTW my CBR250R is with me only since February 2016 & 10000 km. I am looking for a new motorcycle (i really want to retain the cbr, have an emotional attachment with it) next year (march 2017 mostly).

RC tops my list. Having owned a Bajaj 200NS before, I don't have high hopes about their A.S.S. But a few of my KTM fanatic RC loving friends who test rode Dominar told me it does not feel like a bajaj, it is fun to ride and sounds better than the ktm. I will have to test ride the dominar. But heart beats for the RC390 while brain urges me to consider the dominar.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd December 2016 at 21:34.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:23   #197
BHPian

Am certainly looking at the Dominar 400.

390 Duke is great and the 2017 version looks sick. But i can't see myself riding around like a teen high on hormones - Every single time.

The Dominar has the character that I am looking for: Powerful but not in your face, Planted yet nimble on the move. Something like a Strong, Silent and Mature character.

But will book it only in June Jul 2018. After the teething issues are sorted.

Last edited by payeng : 22nd December 2016 at 21:26.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:18   #198
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Prasanna,

I know it sounds silly, but I am somehow being drawn towards RC 390, though I think the CBR 250 is not a bad choice either.

Please suggest the bike you think would give me most of the above requirements if not all.

Appreciate your time.
Considering your requirement for power, RC 390 seems to be a better choice, but do not know how good it is as a tourer. The riding position does not seem comfortable for long distance or bumper to bumper city traffic.

CBR 250 is a jack of all trades, but master of none. If you want a comfortable tourer which can cruise all day at 110 km/ hr, you can count on CBR 250. It is steady on high speed, can manage high wind blasts decently, comfortable seat, not so aggressive riding posture, and a good combination of ride and handling. Even though I own a 2011 model (the initial lot), I have not faced any issue until now (odo is just around 19000 kms). Go for the ABS version.
PatienceWins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:51   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly offtopic, but can you please share more details of the aux lights setup on your Duke 390. Asking as i had installed one (local one from Pune), but it caused issues with my display unit. Still looking at long term options, especially while touring. If its already mentioned in the Duke 390 thread, please direct me to the appropriate page.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Ronald
Excuse the OT, i had bought a pair from a2z motorcycle superstore. These are CREE powered 10W each and give a decent illumination. Have had it for 3.5 years and been working without issues in all weather. Hope this helps!!
http://www.a2z-motorcycle-superstore...und-cool-white

Also notice the tall windshield and mirrors from avenger for better wind protection and visibility. I also have 1.5" handle bar riser, and have raised the seat height a bit by using .75inch gel pad. With these basic mods, bikes much comfortable now.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 23rd December 2016 at 11:54.
nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:23   #200
BHPian

Went to Bajaj showroom to see the Dominar 400, saw couple of color schemes and both did not appeal ( Maroon and White colors). Could not do a test drive as the salesperson mentioned that I need to register for one even though the vehicle was standing idle. Did not press for a test drive.

Sat on the bike and somehow was not comfortable in the driving stance ( I am 6' 1 "). For sure it will be an issue on long drives in my opinion. The fit and finish was pretty neat and I guess the pricing is pretty spot on.

I am in the market for a mid range tourer bike which I intend to use during my trips to India , unfortunately this (D400) is now crossed out of the list.
Attached Images

Old 24th December 2016, 23:47   #201
BHPian

Today, I could test ride the Dominar 400. The ride lasted for 10 minutes in medium-heavy traffic. Following are few observations from my side-
  • The bike is well-built. Cost-cutting is not very evident.
  • It is heavy when stationary which is not felt on the move. It is very nimble in the narrow lanes and very stable on the straights.
  • Very comfortable to sit, shorter riders(<5ft6in) may feel a little uncomfortable.
  • Power delivery is very tamed unlike KTM 390's.
  • The gear ratios are somewhat better than KTM 390's, resulting in comparatively lesser gear shifts for city rides. However, I noticed that the bike was struggling to pull from 40kmph in 6th gear.
  • Slipper clutch does the job of engine braking in a seamless manner. Also, the clutch is fairly light.
  • The bike certainly has excellent high-speed cruising ability, would most likely be bought by prospective tourers.
  • The tyres are good, cornering is rather easy despite the heavy weight.
  • The engine heat was being dissipated more towards the front of the bike rather than the sides. No more 'Tandoori legs'.
  • Brakes are okayish(for a new bike). The brakes of the Duke 390 would still be the benchmark to me.
  • Safety first: The sales reps are insisting on wearing helmet during Test rides and are emphasizing the value of ABS on powerful bikes , very unlike what Maruti sales rep do.
The things I could not observe-
  • Ride quality on bad roads.
  • ABS.
  • Headlights (the dealers are insisting on night test rides which complements Dominar's theme 'Dominate the night').
The Dominar is clearly not for-
  • Those who prefer bikes with oodles of torque, strong low and mid-range power. Eg: RE's, Pulsar 220, pre-facelift Karizma's.
  • Those who want a powerful & comfortable bike for office commutes only. Although the price of Dominar 400 is mouth watering, a P220F or Apache RTR200 is more than sufficient for regular city commutes and occasional highway rides.
  • Those who own Duke 200 and are looking for upgrade. IMHO, the fun-factor is more on a D200 despite having ~170cc less. The power delivery of the Dominar is too linear to enjoy despite being quicker and faster than the D200.
  • Those who want to enjoy la japanese refinement levels. Though, the NVH is better than the KTM 390's to some extent.
But with the features like Slipper clutch, Dual channel ABS and LED headlamps for this price, one can happily skip reading this post.

And as always, Bajaj is invariably in the pursuit of refuting the phrase 'itne paise mein itnaich milega' (you only get this much for the money).

Pardon me for the long post and poor quality of the attached images.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-img_20161224_170814532_crop.jpg  

Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-img_20161224_180047568_crop.jpg  

Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-img_20161224_180113124_crop.jpg  

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 24th December 2016 at 23:50.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 11:57   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
However, I noticed that the bike was struggling to pull from 40kmph in 6th gear.
If it did not stall in 6th gear at 40 kph, that's a huge plus!! RC390 won't pull clean from 40 kph in 5th, even 4th would be a challenge. Any gear any speed is forte of RE and these engines are nowhere close. But again, both are as different as chalk and cheese.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 15:34   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
To add to the ongoing D vs E debate:
RE as a company was almost dead in 90s, mostly used by a few oldies, doodhwallas and a very few handful of enthusiasts. Thanks to the first generation Thunderbird which is the sole reason for REs survival/revival.
You have hit the nail on its head nasirkaka. Currently I own a commuter Unicorn 150 cc for my daily ride to work and that includes not less than 100kms a day on my bike with 50% city riding and 50% highway riding and I am so absolutely confused with a capital C between RE classic 350 and a TB 350. With the launch of Dominor 400 my confusion is further deepened.
As far as RE is considered I have read a thousand stories of folks finding it difficult to maintain and trade their vehicle for something fuss free. I work in a Public Sector Bank and it is very difficult to find time to do DIY stuff except for cleaning my 5 year old bilke and an year old Jazz.
Don't know which way to move?
Old 25th December 2016, 18:34   #204
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The gear ratios are somewhat better than KTM 390's, resulting in comparatively lesser gear shifts for city rides. However, I noticed that the bike was struggling to pull from 40kmph in 6th gear.
Come on! Why should anyone be in the 6th gear at 40kmph?

Even a 250cc CBR will lug below 60 kmph in the 6th. I don't understand why a bike needs to pick up speeds as low as 40 in the 6th. Bikes like RC390 max out near those speeds in the 1st gear red line.

If one wants to do 40kmph at the top gear, Royal Enfields are the right bikes to buy.

PS: Lugging is a sin!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 25th December 2016 at 18:36.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 18:58   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Any gear any speed is forte of RE and these engines are nowhere close.
That is such a big myth!! It sure has better low down torque than these high revving engines but this sweeping statement is misleading. Try doing anything less than 30kmph in 3rd on RE in city traffic and you will know.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 19:20   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
That is such a big myth!! It sure has better low down torque than these high revving engines but this sweeping statement is misleading. Try doing anything less than 30kmph in 3rd on RE in city traffic and you will know.
Honestly speaking, I have experience of riding only handful bikes, largest capacity being Bullet 500. I did ride Bullet 500 (UCE) and RC back to back during one of our rides and found RE to be far more forgiving at low speeds. I particularly tried this and I was able to pull from 5th gear with relative ease in 40 kph.

I don't expect Dominar to even compete with RE on this front simply because while RE would lose steam at around 80-90 kph, that is where Dominar would probably come into it own!!
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 20:27   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Come on! Why should anyone be in the 6th gear at 40kmph?
If one wants to do 40kmph at the top gear, Royal Enfields are the right bikes to buy.
PS: Lugging is a sin!
Yes, you are very right. But, I was just doing it since Rajiv Bajaj was pitching it against RE's. But, my test ride convinced me that the %age of cross-shoppers between an RE & Dominar 400 will be minimal. Many would still continue to buy the thumper for its sedate & leisure(lazy) ride.

Both the bikes are good in their own way. The RE's with under-square long stroke are good for chugging along in the city whereas the Dominar's over-square engine is good for fast rides.

I personally prefer an almost square engine where one could enjoy the best of both worlds of driving sedately and as well occasional fun to satiate the adrenaline.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 21:58   #208
BHPian

Quote:
The Dominar is clearly not for[*]Those who prefer bikes with oodles of torque, strong low and mid-range power. Eg: RE's, Pulsar 220, pre-facelift Karizma's.
Really ? Is it even less impressive then Karizma and the P220? Almost all the first hand impressions I have read till now over the internet point towards punchy low and mid range. Even the numbers support that as power and torque come in much earlier in the rev range.
Old 25th December 2016, 22:55   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank0782 View Post
Almost all the first hand impressions I have read till now over the internet point towards punchy low and mid range. Even the numbers support that as power and torque come in much earlier in the rev range.
Bikes like P220, Karizma can pull from as low as 35-40kmph in the top gear to a top whack speed northwards of 110kmph. The power is wide spread from a very low rpm( my apologies as I do not remember the RPM figure to substantiate my claim). The net effect of the wide spread torque is lesser gear shifts for overtaking, be it city or most highways. Most 'sedate drivers' prefer the power to be widespread from low RPM's, such that the power is available on wringing the throttle without any downshifts.

Quote:
Really ? Is it even less impressive then Karizma and the P220?
Pardon me. I think you have misunderstood. Frankly, those are a decade old benchmark bikes. The Dominar 400 is as contemporary as it can get. Direct comparison would be unfair. All it implies is, the bikes are different in their character.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 25th December 2016 at 22:57.
Old 26th December 2016, 00:23   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Congratulations on booking the D. When is the delivery expected?

For me the main concern is the lack of big enough visor to deflect the wind blast over the helmet. All the reviews just rave about the bike and not a single review has mentioned anything about the wind blast.
Thanks! No delivery date committed, dealer saying Bajaj hasn't provided any details about deliveries other than that deliveries will start in Jan.

About windblast, the fairing is small and sits low compared to the torso, so it won't cut much windblast. Most of the short ride reviews are in city, so there's a dearth of sustained high speed runs to ascertain wind deflection.

Quote:
Really ? Is it even less impressive then Karizma and the P220? Almost all the first hand impressions I have read till now over the internet point towards punchy low and mid range. Even the numbers support that as power and torque come in much earlier in the rev range.
The Karizma and P220 are both shorter geared (15.6 and 14.x km per 1000rpm) , have 5 gears and have closer bore:stroke ratios, so yes, at 40km/h they have enough torque to accelerate well enough in 5th. We're comparing the 6th gear of the Dominar to 5th gear of ZMA/P220 , with an even higher km/h to 1000rpm ratio. In all 3 of these, the meaty/torquey range of the rev range starts at 4000rpm and ends around 7000rpm - even the Dominare didn't feel revvy , and seemed to be limited to around 9000rpm. The Dominar being built on an much more oversquare Duke 390 engine, cannot fill its cylinder as effectively (lower volumetric efficiency at low rpm on high bore:stroke ratio engines). So yes, the low end punch isn't a Mike Tyson knock out, and it will knock of you wring open throttle wide at low speed in high gear, but due to the larger displacement, you shouldn't need to open as much throttle and then you can get away with low speed, high gear riding.

Coming back to the headlights, I decided to challenge my own claim and compared the Dominar and my P220 side by side. The setting was far from ideal though, a parking stretch with the focus wall at some 25 feet away. At this distance, the Dominar's beam clearly shows the better spread vs the 220 which looks like a spot light. At 25 ft, the brightness looked similar to me, maybe the Dominar being a tad brighter.

Now 25ft is far from my target distance, I wanted to check out at 50 to 100meter distance, but sadly that day (or night) was not to be, due to local cop playing spoilsport on the test ride bike being on temp registration, so I couldn't take the bike out.

I returned , went to a stretch to compare the P220 beam with my cheap LED torch, which has a good reach but a narrow beam. At 50m, the torch's bluish-white light shone bright over the P220's beam. But at 100m, the P220's halogen offered more lumens over a given area, even with the wider spread. Perhaps LED lighting's limited wavelengths are not ideal for distance vision. That said, all those green signboards and car numberplates shine/reflect brighter in LED light than halogen.

Last edited by Ricci : 26th December 2016 at 00:27.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread