Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 26th December 2016, 07:49   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank0782 View Post
Really ? Is it even less impressive then Karizma and the P220?
I think you have misunderstood his statement.

The difference between p220/Karizma and Dominar is as much as it is between Armada and XUV500. Yes, my 1995 Armada could easily accelerate from 30 kmph in the top gear, while XUV500 will knock and stall at 30 kmph in the 6th gear.

Now will you accept Armada was better? Definitely not!

PS: P220 was a lot more fun to ride than the Karizma. But Karizma was a better tourer.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th December 2016 at 07:51.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 08:47   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Thanks! No delivery date committed, dealer saying Bajaj hasn't provided any details about deliveries other than that deliveries will start in Jan.
This for your commuting purposes?
Old 26th December 2016, 11:16   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Bikes like P220, Karizma can pull from as low as 35-40kmph in the top gear to a top whack speed northwards of 110kmph. The power is wide spread from a very low rpm( my apologies as I do not remember the RPM figure to substantiate my claim). The net effect of the wide spread torque is lesser gear shifts for overtaking, be it city or most highways. Most 'sedate drivers' prefer the power to be widespread from low RPM's, such that the power is available on wringing the throttle without any downshifts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I think you have misunderstood his statement.

The difference between p220/Karizma and Dominar is as much as it is between Armada and XUV500. Yes, my 1995 Armada could easily accelerate from 30 kmph in the top gear, while XUV500 will knock and stall at 30 kmph in the 6th gear.
Actually, I didn't. When I mentioned "Is it even less impressive", I meant that the 'low end torque' and not the overall bike characteristics.

If going by the discussions, Dominar should not need more gear shifts(comparatively) while riding in the City, that should mean that it has got fair amount of low end grunt. Obviously, its not wise to compare P220/ZMA with Dominar however, the availability of the torque low down in the rev range is what is quintessential and hence my question. I was actually surprised to hear that its not the bike for people who love the low end torque of the P220/ZMA as I am one of them.
Old 26th December 2016, 12:16   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Thanks! No delivery date committed, dealer saying Bajaj hasn't provided any details about deliveries other than that deliveries will start in Jan.

Coming back to the headlights, I decided to challenge my own claim and compared the Dominar and my P220 side by side. The setting was far from ideal though, a parking stretch with the focus wall at some 25 feet away. At this distance, the Dominar's beam clearly shows the better spread vs the 220 which looks like a spot light. At 25 ft, the brightness looked similar to me, maybe the Dominar being a tad brighter.
Congratulations in advance.

That was a very detailed explanation.

W.r.t the lights, Bajaj IMO should have equipped the bike with atleast 1 halogen lamp with warmer colors so that it could be useful in bad weather conditions.

Also, I would not be surprised if a few riders are inadvertently booked for using after-market headlamps, if the cops are unaware about the Dominar LED headlamps.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 12:56   #215
BHPian

So I am one of those unlucky souls who have been forbidden from riding any motorcycle (responsibilities and family)

But this bike is so good that both my head and heart mutually agrees (for a change) to buy one and keep it just for the sake of it.
I have only owned only one motorcycle, the Bajaj Pulsar d-tsi (December 2003), which my father bought me as my birthday present, and it will stay with me for life. It has fallen into a deep slumber since 2011.

Dominor seems like a worthy successor to my Pulsar. And 30 years down the line both will look good standing together.
I may come into a consensus with my alter ego and buy it eventually.

All those souls out there who are confused, I have only one thing to say, seldom comes a vehicle that seems so perfect and desirable that even thinking about it feels like meditation, only happiness and nothing negative.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-picsart_122612.43.40.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 26th December 2016 at 12:57.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 05:08   #216
BHPian

Went to the Popular Bajaj showroom on Banerghatta road. They have the plum colored bike on display and the white one for the test drives.

Reached there at 4:00 pm yesterday (Monday, 26, Dec) and asked for a test drive. Was told that the bike is undergoing its first service and will be ready in 40 minutes. Waited until 5:30 pm but the bike was still not ready. Understand that the only trained service guy was not available. Moreover, I didn't know that I had to book my test drive online, was told at 5:30 that once the bike is available I will get my test drive after 30 minutes as there are others who booked online who have come in. Really? Bajaj can't deal with a dominar customer the same way as they would deal with a discover 100 customer. If they had told me this at 4:00, I would not be writing about this here

Ok, enough of the rant,

The bike looks solid and was allowed to start and rev the display bike. Awesome exhaust note! The seating height seems high but with the raised external stand, it was difficult to say. The fit and finish is solid and they have used good quality switches.

The price breakup for the ABS version was approximately as follows (writing from memory) -

Ex Showroom - 1,50,000
Insurance - 4,500
Registration - 20,000
Basic Accessories- 3,500
Total - 1,77,500

I own a 2012 Yamaha FZ 16 with 19,000 on the odo and was offered 36,000 for exchange! Bit low in my opinion.

I use the bike for daily office commute and an occasional highway run, wondering if this is the bike for me, looking for your advise.

While I am tempted to book, the wiser part of me wants to wait until the first lot is out and any niggles are fixed in the next batch of the bikes.
Old 27th December 2016, 10:13   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post

I own a 2012 Yamaha FZ 16 with 19,000 on the odo and was offered 36,000 for exchange! Bit low in my opinion.

I use the bike for daily office commute and an occasional highway run, wondering if this is the bike for me, looking for your advise.

While I am tempted to book, the wiser part of me wants to wait until the first lot is out and any niggles are fixed in the next batch of the bikes.
Woah Satish, it is almost eerie the way our stories match buddy !!

I am in an exact dilemma with an almost identical perspective on hand. I own a 2012 FZ16, with 19000Km on the ODO, with 90% office runs & 10% highways, and have been pondering over upgrading this to D400.

Though the RC390 is 'Playing the Violin' in my heart, D400 seems to be the more sensible as I would want to change that 90-10 ratio to 70-30 with this upgrade.

What is really holding me back is the thought of waiting for the first lot niggles/quirks to be sorted out, once the hysteria dies out.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 27th December 2016 at 10:15.
Old 27th December 2016, 10:24   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Went to the Popular Bajaj showroom on Banerghatta road. They have the plum colored bike on display and the white one for the test drives.

Reached there at 4:00 pm yesterday (Monday, 26, Dec) and asked for a test drive. Was told that the bike is undergoing its first service and will be ready in 40 minutes. Waited until 5:30 pm but the bike was still not ready. Understand that the only trained service guy was not available. Moreover, I didn't know that I had to book my test drive online, was told at 5:30 that once the bike is available I will get my test drive after 30 minutes as there are others who booked online who have come in. Really? Bajaj can't deal with a dominar customer the same way as they would deal with a discover 100 customer. If they had told me this at 4:00, I would not be writing about this here

==========

Good info there.
I'm also contemplating on 400, presently I ride 2003 rx/2016 Gixxer and for my liking Gixxer is too cumbersome for city commutes, it feels heavy at slow speeds. Gixxer weighs around 135(?) and Dominar around 180(?), so wouldn't it be even more difficult for city commutes (especially Bangalore)? Another reason for me to sell Gixxer is pillion seat, horrendous would be an understatement
Also wait it out for 3-4 months to analyse real world experience/problems from customers.
I also plan to take a longer test ride within city and a bit of highway before I make a final decision, I suggest you do the same.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th December 2016 at 10:49. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 27th December 2016, 10:27   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah Satish, it is almost eerie the way our stories match buddy !!

I am in an exact dilemma with an almost identical perspective on hand. I own a 2012 FZ16, with 19000Km on the ODO, with 90% office runs & 10% highways, and have been pondering over upgrading this to D400.

Though the RC390 is 'Playing the Violin' in my heart, D400 seems to be the more sensible as I would want to change that 90-10 ratio to 70-30 with this upgrade.

What is really holding me back is the thought of waiting for the first lot niggles/quirks to be sorted out, once the hysteria dies out.
Woah! It truly is eerie that our stories match to such an extent.

The only other bike I was considering was the Apache RTR 200 4v. Unlike you I didn't think of the RC 390. Moreover, I was not at all in the market for a bike, it is just that the dominar proposition has made me stand up and take notice.

A wiser part of me is saying that I am growing older and it is time to switch to scooters but the kid in my heart wants the bike.

I also own a Maruti S Cross 1.3 Zeta, any chance you have the same as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
Good info there.
I'm also contemplating on 400, presently I ride 2003 rx/2016 Gixxer and for my liking Gixxer is too cumbersome for city commutes, it feels heavy at slow speeds. Gixxer weighs around 135(?) and Dominar around 180(?), so wouldn't it be even more difficult for city commutes (especially Bangalore)? Another reason for me to sell Gixxer is pillion seat, horrendous would be an understatement
Also wait it out for 3-4 months to analyse real world experience/problems from customers.
I also plan to take a longer test ride within city and a bit of highway before I make a final decision, I suggest you do the same.
Skyline, you have a point on the weight factor in the city traffic. I will take your advise and wait for sometime before deciding on buying this bike. Besides there is this factor of RC 390 engine heating up in city runs which we need to consider before taking the plunge

Last edited by Satishtv : 27th December 2016 at 10:34.
Old 27th December 2016, 10:37   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Moreover, I was not at all in the market for a bike, it is just that the dominar proposition has made me stand up and take notice.

A wiser part of me is saying that I am growing older and it is time to switch to scooters but the kid in my heart wants the bike.
Hahaha I wouldn't even want to post of what I think here buddy, coz it may just appear like I am copying your post.

I bought my FZ in 2012 when I had Getz 1.3, for city/office run about. Inspite of this, I was never really into biking and loved the Comfort of a Cockpit & Steering more.

The launch of D400 has somehow rekindled 'The Biking Boy' within me and I am Slowly but Surely getting dragged into this.

Quote:
I also own a Maruti S Cross 1.3 Zeta, any chance you have the same as well
LOL probably if the GT had not happened, I would surely be an owner of the S-Cross today albeit in the 1.6 guise.

I have a 1.6 GT TDI
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 11:24   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha I wouldn't even want to post of what I think here buddy, coz it may just appear like I am copying your post.
Are you guys like lost brothers from "Kumbh ka Mela'?? So much similarity is eerie.
Jokes apart, if not in desperation, take a few longish test rides, and wait out for the first batch niggles to surface and get rectified. Post which u can take your call. Also, some more offerings are there in pipeline in 2017, might as well check them out before taking the plunge!!
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 11:03   #222
Senior - BHPian

Well, I am not supposed to posing here. Most people in here know me as a Petrolhead, only into cars, mostly but not only Mitsubishis.

I have extensively driven range of cars over 250k kms in the last 10 years or so. However, when it comes to bikes I am an absolute beginner.

Today is actually the first time I drove a bike after nearly 14 years. Last time I drove a cousin's bajaj caliber, I met a small accident (damaging the bike's gear lever/box but I escaped scratch free) and ever since my parents didnt approve of me riding a bike.

Anyways, I have been wanting to learn and buy a bike for the last few years, with some considerations including street 750, ninja 300. But didnt really have the guts to put such an amount for my first bike.

On sunday, I went to take delivery of Bajaj Avenger 220 cruise that my cousin bought and was totally sold for the Dominar. It was a stunning bike at a very lucrative price. Couldn't resist myself and booked the bike in moon white - ABS version. On road is around 1.68 lacs. I am contemplating on getting the bike on 4th jan, which is when I turn 30. If not on 4th, i will get it after 13 Jan (Lohri).

Since my cousin has the new avenger, I have started learning on his 7-8 year old Honda stunner. Trying to keep it as low as possible. I understand - its not the best age to start learning how to ride and dominar is definitely not supposed to be your first bike; but I guess I am old enough to handle it with CARE. So, Please don't bash me for the reasons above.

Have gone through the posts here, very informative for a newbie like me.. Thanks.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 11:18   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Most people in here know me as a Petrolhead, only into cars, mostly but not only Mitsubishis.
Well mate we have something in common then. I love Mitsubishis and own a Lancer and I get to occasionally drive my cousin's Pajero SFX too.
Quote:
On sunday, I went to take delivery of Bajaj Avenger 220 cruise that my cousin bought and was totally sold for the Dominar. It was a stunning bike at a very lucrative price. Couldn't resist myself and booked the bike in moon white - ABS version. On road is around 1.68 lacs.
Mate your love for motorcycling can be understood by you booking the Bajaj Dominar at first sight. It looks good on paper and I hope you took a test ride before taking the decision. If not then do take a test ride.
Quote:
Since my cousin has the new avenger, I have started learning on his 7-8 year old Honda stunner. Trying to keep it as low as possible. I understand - its not the best age to start learning how to ride and dominar is definitely not supposed to be your first bike; but I guess I am old enough to handle it with CARE.
Mate a Man is never too old to learn riding a two wheeler its in the blood of every male since their childhood. I hope you get my drift...

It is a good way to practice on a used motorcycle, try to learn the art of braking and using the right gears at the right speed. Do post your feedback on the Dominar once you get it.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 15:09   #224
BHPian

They also had a Special test ride on 21st December. The Longest Night. This Test ride was in the Night from 8:00 PM to 12:00 PM. Did anyone test it then ? i test rode the bike in Pune during that . Found the illumination to be Good. However this is a typical Pulsar when it comes to characteristics and lacks Torque. My Touring Bike is a 2007 TBTS hence i expected the Bike to Pull in 2nd Gear on a Slope even at 2000 rpm and it failed. Actually stalled and shut down. Had to switch gears and restart the bike and climb in first. It felt Happy around 5000 rpm in Top Gear. It does have potential to be a good touring machine but there are vibrations which aren't nice. and i say this despite having lived with a TBTS.
praveen_sathaye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 22:59   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Despite this being from a KTM's engine?
Yes. If you have ridden Pulsars long enough, you will know that this is a cousin. It doesnt sound as sweet as, say Hondas do and is also slightly vibey. Take a TD, lets compare notes then.
Closed Thread