Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 24th January 2017, 18:39   #46
BHPian

How FAT is the rear tyre..?

That is actually the most important question for the consumer.

Case in point - the FZ16 and it's clones- Gixxer and Hornet 260

Last edited by payeng : 24th January 2017 at 18:48.
payeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 21:06   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
How FAT is the rear tyre..?

That is actually the most important question for the consumer.

Case in point - the FZ16 and it's clones- Gixxer and Hornet 260
How can you generalise the Indian customer base like this? KTM is a success in India despite Pulsars offering similar level of performances at much lower cost.

Spec sheet is not everything. It's all about how a machine makes you feel after riding. I for one, will prefer a duke 390 over z800 because I can extract the full 100% of it's potential whereas I can't extract even 50% of z800's potential. Thus, a 390 is a more fun bike than z800 to me.

Similarly, people will in India are ready to pay little extra for better quality. Unlike Pulsars, Yamahas don't rattle after a few thousand kilometres.

Bajaj has improved but still a long way to go in fit and finish.
Ride an FZ/Gixxer and you'll realise how much better they are compared to other 150cc bikes. They are little expensive but worth every penny. Same case applies here.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 24th January 2017 at 21:08.
The Brutailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 21:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
How can you generalise the Indian customer base like this?

KTM is a success in India despite Pulsars offering similar level of performances at much lower cost.
Wrong comparo KTMS are priced higher to Pulsars also monthly KTMS sell around just 2,000-3,000 units.

KTMS can be compared to RE models because of the price.
Old 24th January 2017, 21:17   #49
BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh

Quote:
KTMS are priced higher to Pulsars.
Exactly my point. They are a success despite being expensive because they are premium and us Indians are ready to pay for it.
The Brutailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 22:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Sorry mods for the OT.

Quote:
Wrong comparo KTMS
are priced higher to Pulsars also monthly KTMS sell around just 2,000-3,000 units.

KTMS can be compared to RE models because of the price.
Do you always pick a part of the post and reply? It just seems like you want to make a point irrespective of the context. You gave a similar generic reply to my post and i thought it was one off. But looks like thats not the case.

Please read Brutailers post in its entirity. Its not about KTM vs. RE! Are we even talking about the FZ250/Yamaha or is it all generic?
Nilesh5417 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 22:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my point. They are a success despite being expensive because they are premium and us Indians are ready to pay for it.
OK

How would you explain the Suzuki GS150R not making it and the Gixxer (FZ16 clone) being finally accepted?

Was the GS150R horrible in quality or started rattling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Please read Brutailers post in its entirity. Its not about KTM vs. RE!

Are we even talking about the FZ250/Yamaha or is it all generic?
It was he who brought KTM to the conversation... not me.

I has only mentioned / asked a question about the rear tyre of the FZ25 in my post before KTM and Pulsar was brought into the picture by Brutailer.

Last edited by payeng : 24th January 2017 at 22:21.
Old 24th January 2017, 22:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
OK

How would you explain the Suzuki GS150R not making it and the Gixxer (FZ16 clone) being finally accepted?

Was the GS150R horrible in quality or started rattling?
Basically, it was a flop because it was boring to ride. It was a bike to take you from point A to B without any excitement.

Gixxer on the other hand is an all new chassis, motor, auxiliary parts, gearbox etc. It's a very fun to ride motorcycle. Light and zippy with a sublime handling. Hence a hit.

The whole point of premium commuters is to provide excitement in your everyday mundane riding. Gixxer nails it in that sense.

AND my point is to not compare Gixxer, FZ or KTM or Bajaj. My point is :

* Specs on sheet doesn't matter unless the machine makes you feel good while riding it.

* People in India are ready to pay premium for a better quality product. They DON'T care for fat tyres or led lights or power. R15 is a good example of that. It's a success because it offers sublime handling and is a proper track tool (Deltabox frame, short wheelbase and hard core riding position) despite making low power and an expensive price tag.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 24th January 2017 at 22:30.
The Brutailer is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 22:28   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Basically, it was a flop because it was boring to ride. It was a bike to take you from point A to B without any excitement.

Gixxer on the other hand is an all new chassis, motor, auxiliary parts, gearbox etc. It's a very fun to ride motorcycle. Light and zippy with a sublime handling. Hence a hit.
That what you think.

Try another one how about the Honda Dazzler and the Hornet 160. Was the Dazzler so lacklustre?

Come on my friend.

It's easy to see that the Visual Impact that the Gixxer and Hornet 160 makes by aping the FZ (plastic muscles, stubby exhaust, faux radiator shroud and yes the same 140 section rear) is the reason why these models are now least selling in some numbers.

The FZ25 with a fatter tyre than its current 140 section would have made it more irresistible to potential customers.

OK maybe not the that post on t-bhp. But can't deny the mass appeal of a wide rear tyre.

Quote:
People in India are ready to pay premium for a better quality product. They DON'T care for fat tyres or led lights or power.
Can't really agree

Quote:
R15 is a good example of that. It's a success because it offers sublime handling and is a proper track tool (Deltabox frame, short wheelbase and hard core riding position) despite making low power and an expensive price tag.
Another question-

Why has the CBR150R not able to replicate the R15 success?

Last edited by payeng : 24th January 2017 at 22:49.
Old 24th January 2017, 22:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Another question- Why has the CBR150R not able to replicate the R15 success?
It's not hardcore enough. It's a low powered tourer pretending to be a sportsbike. R15 like I said, is a track focussed machine.

And Gixxer is not just a visual upgrade. It's a mechanical overhaul as well. And since when did fat tyres become a bad thing unless you overkill it? They provide greater traction and longer life apart from other things. But that discussion is for another thread and for another day.

Basically my point was that quality is better than quantity. I rest my case.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 24th January 2017 at 22:57.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 23:03   #55
BHPian

I'm curious to know.
Several posts mention that muscular looking bikes in India in 150cc and similar slightly higher segments have "fake muscle"/" plastic muscle"? Do the bikes sold elsewhere in the world have a different material used to give that muscular look?
akhil_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 23:06   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Basically my point was that quality is better than quantity. I rest my case.
That's what you think.

But 50k Indians (every month) spending 1-2 lakhs on Royal Enfield's think Differently

And I think (even you will have a similar opinion) that practically every one makes better quality bikes than RE.. even Bajaj.

Last edited by payeng : 24th January 2017 at 23:08.
Old 25th January 2017, 06:40   #57
BHPian

I feel that yam should have equipped this with a 6 speed, given its power ratings, it should be able to sustain early triple digit speeds on the highway, not least to justify a 'tourer' tag, if that is how Yamaha wants to position it. In addition, they better get the R15 V3 to our shores asap to create some more distinction between the two (now that the R gets a few more contemporary features like a full digital display) else the track tool, which is already getting a little long in the tooth, will see its sales eaten into by the FZ25
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 15:47   #58
BHPian

The Engine spec (20PS and 20NM) is little bit of a disappointment. These figures make Apache RTR 200v feel logical. Even that was considered a disappointment though. Yamaha should be competing with Honda's 250cc single cylinder engine at least performance-vise.
BTW since its a FZ, we should hope that a fazer is also in the pipeline. Its well priced for a 250cc bike. Fazer might be tempting. But nothing can match the beemer. #G310R. Time to wait a little bit more...
sreejith.pish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 17:26   #59
BHPian

Official site is up now with all the details.

http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/mo...html#home-fz25
uday.ere is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 19:27   #60
BHPian

I was expecting MT-03 for long time, which was a better performance package, with some kind of localisation they could have work on the price and launched it in India. I would have happy to afford another loan if it really happened. Now with FZ 25 launched and poor R3 sales, MT-03 launch seem far from possible.

FZ 25 should have been launched 3-5 years back, and they could have launched an ABS version now. Now the wait continues for a 300-400 cc refined, performance oriented product.
GT145 is offline   Reply With Quote