Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th January 2017, 19:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The FZ25 with a fatter tyre than its current 140 section would have made it more irresistible to potential customers
Your magic beans for manufacturers nailing sales targets seems to be nothing beyond a fat tyre; similar to your "proposal" that the Dominar should be sporting a 180 section tyre

Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ariant-19.html (Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant))

No sane manufacturer would accommodate vanity at the expense of performance / dynamics. A bit of extra plastic here and there, a dash of chrome etc might be included for some flash and does not hurt the performance aspect, but decisions like tyre size enter the technical domain and require more pondering than "what would look macho". Rest, the Brutalier has very crisply summed up the thought process of a buyer; do re-read
Urban_Nomad is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 21:48   #62
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
Now the wait continues for a 300-400 cc refined, performance oriented product.
Am I missing something?

YZF R3 & Ninja 300 are extremely refined and are adequately powerful.

If you are talking about naked bikes, Z250 and TNT300 can suit the requirements, though not very exciting to be on.
PrasannaDhana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 08:28   #63
BHPian

Yesterday I had a word with Perfect Riders, Jayanagar and OTR would be 1.4 to 1.5 at Bangalore. Display and test ride vehicles should come in first week of Feb.

I guess ex showroom price for Bangalore should be lower than Delhi and don't understand why the OTR will be 1.4.

Will share price list as I get.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 08:58   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
No sane manufacturer would accommodate vanity at the expense of performance / dynamics. A bit of extra plastic here and there, a dash of chrome etc might be included for some flash and does not hurt the performance aspect, but decisions like tyre size enter the technical domain and require more pondering than "what would look macho".
Are you sure about this?

Just for example, the R15 v1 has a 100 section rear tyre, while the v2 gets 130 section rear tyre and the new v3 now gets a 140 section rear tyre. And, between the v1 and the v2, it's the v1 that handles better inspite of the v2 having a better swingarm.

Another example, this FZ25 produces 20 bhp and has a 140 section tyre, while the Duke 390 produces 43 bhp and has a 150 section tyre. Even the Ninja 650 makes do with a 160 section tyre while producing around 70 bhp.

One more example, even the puny FZ16 gets 140 section tyre.

From where I stand, I see this as being purely a design decision. And yes, there are multiple reports of downsizing of tyres on the FZ16 leading to better performance and handling.

I would leave it to you to decide if Yamaha is a sane manufacturer.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 10:37   #65
BHPian

Video from Yamaha.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 13:12   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
No sane manufacturer would accommodate vanity at the expense of performance

Exactly what I thought before Yamaha deduced to put a 140 section on a 150cc, 13 bhp "beefy" looking bike. And the enthusiasts weren't complaining.

Even Suzuki and Honda had to throw the towel and join the FAT rear formula.

Like Abhijeet rightly pointed out, rewind back to 2008 when the R15 was launched with a weedy 100 section in 2008 that was "upgraded" to 130 section without any increase in the engine performance and at the same timw withouy any affect on handling? Why? Because of the Demand.

Performance and Handling is the Engineers job. And it has been proven by Yamaha that it can be done with FAT tyres as well.

The FZ16 doesn't need a 140 and the 2008 R15 has proved that the R15 doesn't need a 130.. but if there is a demand then the supply will be there.

Last edited by payeng : 26th January 2017 at 13:26.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 13:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Video from Yamaha.
Nice ad. Good to see Yamaha keeping the real and authentic exhaust sound in the ad unlike other manufacturers nowadays. This is definitely a much better product when compared to NS200/Apache. Deserves the little extra premium price point.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 26th January 2017 at 13:14.
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 19:48   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
And yes, there are multiple reports of downsizing of tyres on the FZ16 leading to better performance and handling.
Could you please post link/s of it?

Thank you.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 20:04   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Thank you.
Yamaha sells the same FZ16 in Indonesia with a OEM 130 section rear tyre.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.id/product/all-new-byson-fi

The 140 section rear tyre is specifically for India. It is just Yamaha giving the Indian buyer what he prefers - a fatter rear tyre.

I am sure further discussion on the FZ16 on this thread will be OT. Let's stop.

Edit - A bit of googling told me that the Fazer 250 on which this bike is based upon too has a 130 section rear tyre.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...fazer%2012.htm

Last edited by abhijeet080808 : 26th January 2017 at 20:14.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 20:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Yamaha sells the same FZ16 in Indonesia with a OEM 130 section rear tyre.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.id/product/all-new-byson-fi

The 140 section rear tyre is specifically for India. It is just Yamaha giving the Indian buyer what he prefers - a fatter rear tyre.

I am sure further discussion on the FZ16 on this thread will be OT. Let's stop.

Edit - A bit of googling told me that the Fazer 250 on which this bike is based upon too has a 130 section rear tyre.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...fazer%2012.htm
I am planning to check this bike and buy if I am satisfied with the OTR and test ride. What would be the benefits of downsizing to 130 section just after buying.

Also, tyres are not radials, can only one tyre, say rear one, be changed to 130 section radials or even 140 section radials leaving the front tyre as it is.

KK
Old 26th January 2017, 21:23   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Am I missing something?

YZF R3 & Ninja 300 are extremely refined and are adequately powerful.

If you are talking about naked bikes, Z250 and TNT300 can suit the requirements, though not very exciting to be on.
Yes, I was mentioning about naked ones. TNT300 due to it's Chinese link least interested and Duke is too common. Z250 doesn't look like a value for money option, I would prefer buying an R3 and strip it down in that case. MT-03 with ABS was a perfect package for my likings :(
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 21:34   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And yes, there are multiple reports of downsizing of tyres on the FZ16 leading to better performance and handling.
Quote:

Thank you.
I am asking for a proof where as per you it is established that a less wide rubber [in case of Indian FZ] resulted in better performance and handling.

And not where Yamaha sells something with a less wide rubber. Hope my query is more clear now.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th January 2017 at 21:35.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 23:05   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
What would be the benefits of downsizing to 130 section just after buying.

Also, tyres are not radials, can only one tyre, say rear one, be changed to 130 section radials or even 140 section radials leaving the front tyre as it is.
As far as I can tell, there will be no apparent/significant benefits. You may experience better fuel economy (reduced contact patch, less friction/rolling resistance) and the bike may also be more 'flickable' in traffic. I do not think there will be any difference made to straight line stability, which in any case is excellent on the FZ. The R15 has proved that the width of the tyre is not directly/inversely proportional to handling/stability. Its the overall combination of wheelbase, tyre specs, chassis etc which makes the difference.

IIRC the FZ come with radial tyres. Not sure if tubeless tyres (which the FZ come with) come in bias ply type
hothatchaway is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 04:31   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
As far as I can tell, there will be no apparent/significant benefits. You may experience better fuel economy (reduced contact patch, less friction/rolling resistance) and the bike may also be more 'flickable' in traffic. I do not think there will be any difference made to straight line stability, which in any case is excellent on the FZ. The R15 has proved that the width of the tyre is not directly/inversely proportional to handling/stability. Its the overall combination of wheelbase, tyre specs, chassis etc which makes the difference.
Thanks.

Quote:
IIRC the FZ come with radial tyres. Not sure if tubeless tyres (which the FZ come with) come in bias ply type
Even I was expecting radials and double checked it, they come with tubeless bias ply tyres.

TL tyres do come in bias ply, say, Michilin Pilot Sporty is bias ply and Pilot Street is radials, both are tubeless.

KK
Old 27th January 2017, 06:18   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I am asking for a proof where as per you it is established that a less wide rubber [in case of Indian FZ] resulted in better performance and handling.

And not where Yamaha sells something with a less wide rubber. Hope my query is more clear now.
I do not have a link to share with you. This is based on the posts that I have read on online forums from FZ16 owners who had downgraded to 130 section tyre and reported better performance and handling with no apparent downsides.

Also, I claim this only for the bike in question here - FZ16. For instance, I do NOT claim the same for say, the Duke 390.

The fact that these bikes came with a smaller tyre in all markets except India points to the fact that they were originally designed with 130 section tyres in mind.
abhijeet080808 is offline   Reply With Quote