Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th February 2017, 08:39   #31
BHPian

Smile Re: Bike under 4 lakhs for city commuting as well as long distance touring?

Hi Naveen,

I was following your thread keenly. Mojo is a good all-rounder except for the ABS. Being a Mojo owner myself, I would echo what CrAzY_dRiVeR mentioned, retrofitting is not really an option as it would require a lot of mechanical changes which would be costly. And moreover a factory fitted ABS is recommended than a retrofitted ABS, after all its a safety feature and god forbid anything goes wrong with the retrofitted assembly. ABS module is also road tested for many thousands of kilometers for a reason - Reliability, which would come out best only out of the factory. I'd suggest you to wait for the ABS model if you are keen on ABS or just get the non-abs variant and forget about retrofitting the same.

~Cheers
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 09:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bike under 4 lakhs for city commuting as well as long distance touring?

Well, I would certainly wait a wee bit longer to see what the BMW G310R and the under-development Royal Enfield twin cylinder bikes have to offer before I take a call. Both these bikes would be within 4 lakhs, and the BMW sure would be great for city commutes as well as highway runs (based on overseas reviews) and RE usually keeps its city / highway balance pretty well too.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 09:09   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Bike under 4 lakhs for city commuting as well as long distance touring?

Congratulations on shortlisting Mojo as the pick . Indeed it is difficult to pick one out of a lot of attractive bikes available in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKBorra View Post
Update : I am staying with Mojo 300 as it ticks most of my requirements. Only downer is the lack of ABS and I know its must. Mahindra guys ensured it can be retrofitted once available. Hoping for the best.
I agree with Crazy Driver! I doubt Hero guys or any other OEM ASC will take the ownership of retrofitting the ABS kit.

E.g. Benelli guys do not offer ABS retro-fitment for old TNT 600i considering the new ABS version has been launched and plus keep in mind, they have to offer you warranty on it as well if anything happens.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 09:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Well, I would certainly wait a wee bit longer to see what the BMW G310R and the under-development Royal Enfield twin cylinder bikes have to offer before I take a call. Both these bikes would be within 4 lakhs, and the BMW sure would be great for city commutes as well as highway runs (based on overseas reviews) and RE usually keeps its city / highway balance pretty well too.
Despite the current gen RE bikes being 5-6 years old, they continue having problems. And this for a simple single cylinder setup. For twin cylinder RE, I would highly recommend you (or anyone) to consider it only a couple of decades after launch.
timuseravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 12:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
If I'd recommend one thing, pick ANY bike that has ABS and skip the rest.
Completely agree. I deeply regret not picking the ABS model of CBR 250.

I switched to non-ABS model after booking as the waiting period was less.

I would have avoided the minor fall a few years back if ABS was available. A two wheeler, TVS Luna, suddenly switched lane on the state highway. I applied sudden brake on gravel, could feel the rear wheels locking and then fell down. The bike and I had to take some minor bruises.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 14th February 2017 at 12:05.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 14:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hearty congratulations.

Mojo is a very nice underrated product indeed.

However, please be aware that this is only a sales pitch. No manufacturer has done anything similar till date.
Thanks CrAzY dRiVeR. Yes it is a very good product. But I have left with no choice now. I am trying to PM you with few questions and could not as you exceeded the limit. Could you please PM me your contact number for a quick chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Completely agree. I deeply regret not picking the ABS model of CBR 250.

I switched to non-ABS model after booking as the waiting period was less.

I would have avoided the minor fall a few years back if ABS was available. A two wheeler, TVS Luna, suddenly switched lane on the state highway. I applied sudden brake on gravel, could feel the rear wheels locking and then fell down. The bike and I had to take some minor bruises.
This is making me think again. The current bikes with ABS on sale with this price range are only 3 ( Duke, Dominor and CBR ) and I have reasons for not picking them. Sadly there are no bikes even at 4L range which comes with ABS and this is very sad.

Last edited by NaveenKBorra : 14th February 2017 at 14:46.
NaveenKBorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 16:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
This is making me think again. The current bikes with ABS on sale with this price range are only 3 ( Duke, Dominor and CBR ) and I have reasons for not picking them.

Sadly there are no bikes even at 4L range which comes with ABS and this is very sad.
Apache RTR 180 ABS...

although I do not believe that you would like to get this bike
payeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 17:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is making me think again. The current bikes with ABS on sale with this price range are only 3 ( Duke, Dominor and CBR ) and I have reasons for not picking them. Sadly there are no bikes even at 4L range which comes with ABS and this is very sad.
I strongly recommend ABS, especially if you will be using it mainly on highways. You may not use it, but indispensable in situations where it is needed. There should not be any compromise on safety while selecting a motorcycle.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 18:26   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks CrAzY dRiVeR. Yes it is a very good product. But I have left with no choice now. I am trying to PM you with few questions and could not as you exceeded the limit. Could you please PM me your contact number for a quick chat
Sorry. Was being lazy in deleting messages. Cleared now.

Unfortunately I don't have any decent experience with the Mojo to help you out, except for having seen it upclose many times. PM on its way anyways.

Quote:
The current bikes with ABS on sale with this price range are only 3 ( Duke, Dominor and CBR ) and I have reasons for not picking them.
Always a compromise, whichever bike you choose. So it always boils down to priorities.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 21:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

The all new duke 390 with a slightly bigger tank range is going to decimate anything and everything that stands in its way in every factor (tech/speed/flexibility/maintenance costs). I don't know what your reasons are for not waiting for the new Duke, but they better be very very good.
Red Liner is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 21:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

2017 Duke launch is being speculated sometime in Feb with deliveries by April so you might as well continue thinking a bit more! I completely agree with Redliner that you should give the Dukes a serious look.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 23:09   #42
BHPian

If you have not yet bought a bike you could also look at the Z 250. It's a beautiful, smooth, refined bike with a not aggressive riding posture. I'm using 1 & I enjoy riding it.

Regards

G D
P180V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 23:41   #43
BHPian

Any word on the launch and pricing info of BMW 310 GS Adventure? The bike was on Display at the Long Beach Motorcycle show. I really liked it. Great riding position, suitable for commuting or adventure touring. Lots of modern tech stuff also included. I would happily pay twice the price of Himalayan for this bike. RE had a booth at Long Beach, but no Himalayan.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 15:36   #44
BHPian

Update : I have booked Duke 390
ABS was the primary criteria ( reason for not picking D250 as well ).
Here is a quick overview of what I would be getting for additional 60K compared to Mojo

1. ABS - Dual channel
2. Better looking bike
3. Metzeler ( a tad better than Pirelli Diablos )
4. TFT speedo console
5. 15 Bhp more power
6. AHO and all LED lights
7. slipper clutch
8. Ride by Wire ( not sure what difference it makes in real world )
9 Initial niggles of a new motorcycle

Also, in near future Mojo is set for a refresh with ABS and might throw in few additional features and I feel like owning a old model in few months

This also means I will be losing on few other features from Mojo
1. A complete Tourer
2. Comfortable and reliable motorcycle
3. Refined motor
4. eargasmic exhaust

Bike booked on launch day itself ( 23rd Feb ). Dealer promised delivery between 10th and 15th March subject to RTO approval.

Thanks for all your suggestions that helped me make a right decision.
I will keep the thread updated with delivery and PDI process

Last edited by NaveenKBorra : 28th February 2017 at 15:37.
NaveenKBorra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 17:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Update : I have booked Duke 390
ABS was the primary criteria ( reason for not picking D250 as well ).
You'll never ever regret this decision ABS is a must have. It may not be needed 99.99% of times, but for that 0.01% it is potentially life-saving.

I got the first Duke 390 in S. India delivered in Oct, 2013. I have thoroughly enjoyed the bike in the last 3+ years though I've not done the distances I thought I should.

D390 is a bike which is more than its specs. It does have its weaknesses
1. Over heating - Tandoor calf muscles
2. Limited Range (which is alleviated with a slightly bigger fuel tank)
3. Not as much fun as D200
4. Vibrations across RPMs
5. Hard seat not comfortable for long rides

It is a bike that you'll enjoy when you are young. And all the weaknesses are forgiven when you start riding the bike! And, for the price, there is NOTHING that beats it.

I am so tempted by the bigger tank and LED that I might pick one up too.

Quote:
8. Ride by Wire ( not sure what difference it makes in real world )
When done properly, gives a much better response for throttle. I am sure folks at KTM would have done a good job.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 28th February 2017 at 18:19.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote