Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th May 2017, 12:06   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Impulsive Decision: From the Z800 to a pre-worshipped KTM Duke 390

Congrats v12. I am in exact same frame of mind currently.

I own a Thunderbird and want a second ride and very much interested in pre-worshiped 390 Duke.

1) I wanted some suggestions what should I look for in a bike to see if its in a good condition as I have zero experience with the Dukes.

2) Also, will a 2013-14 model will have a lot of heating issues ? I ride in mostly bumper to bumper Mumbai traffic and seldom I get open roads.

3) I am also considering Ninja 650 ( again pre-worshipped ) what are your views if we compare the two?
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 12:22   #17
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Boss & B16H22 for the feedback. I haven't experienced any rattles from the stock mirrors - but find the visibility very restricted especially on the LHS. What would be a good option then - RTR mirrors or mirror extenders?

Thanks Taurus!

I am in the same boat as you are - absolutely zero knowledge on the KTMs. The only thing that helped me in getting this Duke was that I knew the owner (good friend), the bike, its usage and maintenance. That helped me in blindly making a decision to buy it - takes away 90% of the tension.

Regarding the heat - yes, I have heard that the 2013 & 2014 Dukes heat (or rather overheat) a lot in traffic. The 2015+ models came with a bigger fan for the radiator and a different radiator shroud to dissipate the engine heat. Duke owners - please correct me if I am wrong.

I think Ninja650 would be a better option - but I would leave that answer to the expert - IronHawk

Last edited by navin : 8th May 2017 at 13:43.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 15:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
What I don't like
1. Seating Position - I find it a bit difficult with the upright seating position and the footrests being rear sets.
2. Heating Issues (Obviously) - Bike heats more than my Z800.
3. Wife also found it more comfortable to perch onto the Duke than the Z. Rear seat comfort was also better than the Z and not as high.
4. Fuel Tank capacity - approx 10-10.5 Litres means you have to keep refueling.
5. The sound. Yes how did I miss that. I don't know what others feel - but according to me the Duke sounds like a Tata Ace.
6. Side stand - I feel this is the worst side stand I have ever seen on any motorcycle. The angle of the side stand is such that the bike remains upright when parked. Also it's difficult sometimes to pull the stand down even if the motorcycle is tilted a bit towards the left. Bad design, I would say. I also had difficulties in swinging my leg over the bike with the tail bag in place. If the lean angle was more, the bike would be much lower and hence easier to get onto
Congrats and welcome to team orange! A very wise decision IMO. Its an extremely versatile motorcycle and the one that will let you more than keep up with the big boys if you so desire. Have ridden this bike for over 35K kms; most of which involved daily commuting, a few track days, mild off roading and 450 - 500 kms a day type touring. Some thoughts around the points mentioned in your post above:

1 - I agree. comfort is not a big priority on this motorcycle but this can thankfully be easily remedied. The single biggest spoilsport here are the footpegs that are simply too far back for a naked IMO. This should help : http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRC-Adjust-3...BYbIlS&vxp=mtr
Move your footpeg an inch lower and slightly forward. The amount of space this mod frees up is unbelievable. The bike actually feels spacious as your knees don't foul against tank extensions. I have the 25 mm kit though with street pegs (cheaper, was on discount. $40 shipped IIRC)

2 - Heating : I think its a personal thing but I don't find it uncomfortable. Just FYI, I never ride in a pair of shorts or a thin pajama. Its either riding pants or riding jeans for me. Helps with the heat. However, if you know you are going some place where the traffic is mad, take the RX. I once made the mistake of taking the 390 to Sadar Bazar in Delhi. The bike became so hot it refused to start (high coolant temp warning)

3 - Hats off to the Missus

4 - Depends. In city, the way I ride; 500 bucks worth of fuel lasts me 180 kms. With me commuting 100 kms daily, I have to fuel every other day. Annoying indeed. However, out on the highway, cruising at 100 - 110 at 6th gear sees excellent numbers. 30 kmpl is something I have heard commonly. So while a range of 300 kms is not awesome, its not too bad either

5 - Sound : Again, its a personal thing. I haven't heard any tata ace snarl like the duke does. Its very raw and I love it

6 - Side stand : Never had an issue. Maybe compare it with another Duke and see if yours specifically has a problem

Additionally, you can also install Bar risers for even more comfort. Viaterra, redline racing make one but Indimotard's; although expensive is the best one

Wish you the very best. I really hope this bike opens up a world of motorcycling for you; like it has for me. No Sho-sha, no worrying about the "eyes you are getting", no frivolity .. Just plain riding. Awesome, amazing, fun .. riding
Urban_Nomad is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 16:54   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Urban Nomad! Team Orange - nice name

1. Can you post some pics of your Duke with those lowered footpegs? Do the gear lever and brake lever need to be modified too if you change the position of the footpegs?

2. Yes - on long rides, I don't feel the heat at all - infact the bike doesn't heat up a lot too. But on weekdays (when you have to wear formals) - the heat cannot be avoided. Thinking of ways to isolate that area completely with some heat absorbing / insulating material.

Quote:
Wish you the very best. I really hope this bike opens up a world of motorcycling for you; like it has for me. No Sho-sha, no worrying about the "eyes you are getting", no frivolity .. Just plain riding. Awesome, amazing, fun .. riding
Thank you again UN
Old 8th May 2017, 19:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Urban Nomad! Team Orange - nice name

1. Can you post some pics of your Duke with those lowered footpegs? Do the gear lever and brake lever need to be modified too if you change the position of the footpegs?
I will. In the meantime, please have a look at a couple of these videos to get an idea of how this works. The one challenge is that because of the pivot arm's protrusion, you kind of have to twist your foot inwards to operate the controls. It took me a couple of days of riding to get used to but YMMV; so keep that in mind

I have the Shinobi ones

Quote:
2. Yes - on long rides, I don't feel the heat at all - infact the bike doesn't heat up a lot too. But on weekdays (when you have to wear formals) - the heat cannot be avoided. Thinking of ways to isolate that area completely with some heat absorbing / insulating material.
Not trying to preach, but formals on bikes? My office requires a formal attire too. So I always carry a change of clothes with me. You know your situation best but try and avoid riding like this

Also, for the heat - Some have suggested getting a "SPAL fan". Pricey, but has rock solid results. I think T-BHPian "Mehul" has it on his RC 390. Maybe you can ping him and check

Related discussion - http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...nstal-how.html

Quote:
Thank you again UN
You are most welcome. Ride safe

Urban_Nomad is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 10:47   #21
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the links UN, I'll need to check those out before I decide to go in for it.

Quote:
Not trying to preach, but formals on bikes? My office requires a formal attire too. So I always carry a change of clothes with me. You know your situation best but try and avoid riding like this
Due to my back problem, I avoid carrying any bag or backpack and hence this option may not suit me. Also a very time consuming option and I am too lazy to do it Also my daily commute is just 20 kms both ways so can bear up with the heat.

Quote:
Also, for the heat - Some have suggested getting a "SPAL fan". Pricey, but has rock solid results. I think T-BHPian "Mehul" has it on his RC 390. Maybe you can ping him and check
Just glimpsed through that thread - will read it in detail once am free.

Thanks UN!
Old 19th May 2017, 20:55   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Duke has covered 1000 kms now since I got it. Got a FZ-S windshield installed on it. Tried installing it on the original small windshield but it was a bit shaky. So mounted it on the headlight assembly.

Need to get the front brake pads checked too. They were cleaned during the service but have now started squeaking a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Impulsive Decision: From the Z800 to a pre-worshipped KTM Duke 390-psx_20170519_203917.jpg  

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 17:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Tried installing it on the original small windshield but it was a bit shaky. So mounted it on the headlight assembly.
Consider adding support clamps too. The well nuts looses the fit easily and the windshield will start vibrating on bad roads. Alternatively, you can stock some spare well nuts. Pretty cheap and easy to replace.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 13:28   #24
BHPian

Congrats V12 on the bike and might I add that you'll do justice to it.

Although the Z best suited you, I also agree that it wasn't feasible in a daily commute and is best as a weekend bike.

It was my first new bike and I couldn't be happier that it found a new home at the cafe racer project HQ.

Its the most sensible and yet adequately powerful bike in the Indian streets as of now. The peace of mind when it comes to ease of maintenance and cost of ownership is a bonus with the peppy 373cc engine.

Wishing you many happy miles with it.
Chetanya Sharma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 01:27   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Guys, I need some technical help. So I am looking to convert the Duke into a Cafe Racer. My plan is to keep the mechanicals, electronics and electricals intact and just do the cosmetics bit.

A couple of things I had in mind :
1. Tank : obviously the tank cover needs to be replaced by a proper cafe racer type tank or something like the RX (but longer and broader though). Herein lies the major confusion. I want to avoid changing the actual tank and fabricate a pseudo tank around the main tank - probably with a thin guage metal sheet to be shaped like a tank. In Jeremy Clarkson's words, I wanna ask you "How hard can it be?"

2nd question is - Incase I decide to replace the actual tank with a tank from the RE Continental GT - what factors do I need to consider? I have figured out 2 things 1. The ECU - which is mounted on the Dukes tank would need to be relocated, right? And 2. The fuel pump - do I have to fit the Dukes fuel pump into the Continental GTs tank? Or can I use the fuel pump of the CGT? In either case, does the ECU need to be recalibrated / modified etc?

2. Seating : I am looking to give it a flat seating position with a removable cowl at the back. Is this possible considering the upwards sloping chassis of the Duke? I don't want to modify the chassis.

3. Handlebars - I plan to either go for a Clubman handlebar or the RC390 clipon setup whichever is more comfortable. Is the RC390 setup a direct fit on the Duke?
Old 4th November 2017, 07:40   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

@v12, While the mechanical aspects can be taken care of, pls check how the final seating position will be - seat w.r.t foot-rest and handle-grip positions. The outcome should not result in an awkard or ergonomically bad posture. May be you could take this part first before going for the modifications of the mechanical parts like tank & handlebar.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 08:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In Jeremy Clarkson's words, I wanna ask you "How hard can it be?"
But why?

I feel the Duke 390 has a brilliant engine, but one that would sound and feel totally out of character on a cafe-racer! You've had your fair share of experiences with a good cafe racer (that you build even before RE themselves saw that idea!) so why go down that same path again with the KTM?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 12:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys, I need some technical help. So I am looking to convert the Duke into a Cafe Racer. My plan is to keep the mechanicals, electronics and electricals intact and just do the cosmetics bit.

A couple of things I had in mind :
1. Tank : obviously the tank cover needs to be replaced by a proper cafe racer type tank or something like the RX (but longer and broader though). Herein lies the major confusion. I want to avoid changing the actual tank and fabricate a pseudo tank around the main tank - probably with a thin guage metal sheet to be shaped like a tank. In Jeremy Clarkson's words, I wanna ask you "How hard can it be?"

2nd question is - Incase I decide to replace the actual tank with a tank from the RE Continental GT - what factors do I need to consider? I have figured out 2 things 1. The ECU - which is mounted on the Dukes tank would need to be relocated, right? And 2. The fuel pump - do I have to fit the Dukes fuel pump into the Continental GTs tank? Or can I use the fuel pump of the CGT? In either case, does the ECU need to be recalibrated / modified etc?

2. Seating : I am looking to give it a flat seating position with a removable cowl at the back. Is this possible considering the upwards sloping chassis of the Duke? I don't want to modify the chassis.

3. Handlebars - I plan to either go for a Clubman handlebar or the RC390 clipon setup whichever is more comfortable. Is the RC390 setup a direct fit on the Duke?
Did you check this guy? he has a good line up.

https://www.instagram.com/inline_3/?hl=en
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 02:23   #29
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@v12, While the mechanical aspects can be taken care of, pls check how the final seating position will be - seat w.r.t foot-rest and handle-grip positions. The outcome should not result in an awkard or ergonomically bad posture. May be you could take this part first before going for the modifications of the mechanical parts like tank & handlebar.
Thanks Condor! That's the first thing I checked before actually giving it a serious thought. I want to retain the same seating position with probably clipon. The only problem with this setup is it will restrict the length of the tank and it will end up squarish and will look weird.
The other option was to fabricate a tank (pseudo tank) which is say longer by a few inches (like we did on our RX100 Cafe Racer) to give it a more balanced look. But will have to check on the footpeg position if I consider this option.

A combination of the comfort and tank shape is what will be the deciding factor on going ahead with this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But why?

I feel the Duke 390 has a brilliant engine, but one that would sound and feel totally out of character on a cafe-racer! You've had your fair share of experiences with a good cafe racer (that you build even before RE themselves saw that idea!) so why go down that same path again with the KTM?
True Crazy driver - the characteristics of the Duke does not suit a Cafe Racer. But I have always been fascinated with the Cafe Racer idea that I just want to make every motorcycle of mine into a Cafe Racer. I even was considering converting my Pulsar 220 into a Cafe Racer. You probably wouldn't believe me - but my brother and me had a serious discussion of converting the Z800 into a proper Cafe Racer a few years down the line (if I had kept it for long) - that's how hard the a
Cafe Racer bug has bitten me. And now I am so tempted with this.
Name:  images 6.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  24.9 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Did you check this guy? he has a good line up.

https://www.instagram.com/inline_3/?hl=en
Thanks for the link Vignesh. The guy has got some amazing designs on the Bullets.

The only problem is that the Duke is a tall bike and has a rear upward slope. Cafe Racers need to have a very straight profile which is very difficult to obtain with a Duke 390 chassis. It not impossible though - it the chassis is modified. Here is an excellent example of a Duke 390 Cafe Racer.

Name:  a99fb3c8bede19e987f090f31de51f64.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  121.3 KB

Impulsive Decision: From the Z800 to a pre-worshipped KTM Duke 390-ktmdukebenditamacchina1200x801.jpg

Name:  images 2.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  28.2 KB

Last edited by v12 : 8th November 2017 at 02:26.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 06:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi, you can wait until early next year for the Husqvarna cafe racer series of bikes to be launched in india, based off the 390 engine from ktm. Unless you really just want to build it yourself.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote