Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st April 2017, 17:32   #1
BHPian

Default Auto-headlamps on (AHO): Getting rid of people's gestures on the road

With the implementation of BS IV and all two wheelers getting updated with "Always/Auto Headlamp (AHO)" feature, motorist are in for numerous hand gestures by the normal road users advising them on their switched ON headlamps.

With the delivery of BS IV compliant RE C350, I have already faced it on several counts. Be, the neighboring Auto wala, or even other Bullet users taking cognizance of your ON headlamp and trying their level best to ensure that their message is delivered to you.

Today was the height of hand gestures, hence whenever somebody pointed towards my headlamp I made a point to stop the bike and explain them that it can't be turned off, when the ignition key is in ON mode. And to one guy, I pleaded for his help in getting the headlamp OFF.

I do not want to sound rude to others, who are actually trying to help me in pointing to something which they considered out of the place, but I really want suggestions from fellow Bhpians on how to get rid of these gestures!

To my mind these are the following points which will help:
1. Wait till the market is flooded with BS IV vehicles, which will automatically get the folks accustomed to and the gestures stop
2. Carry some adhesive poster on riding jacket advising the BS IV AHO feature
3. Simply ignore and keep riding (this can be little unnerving as one fellow Bullet owner chased me and was repeatedly gesturing that I need to kill my lights )

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th April 2017 at 15:08. Reason: Cross-linking to relevant thread :)
MDED is offline   (24) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 18:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Auto-headlamps on (AHO): Getting rid of people's gestures on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
I do not want to sound rude to others
Then all you got to do is, simply smile, nod your head & keep moving; my parking lights on my CPR has been always ON mode since 2011 whenever I ride. It is also not rude to simply keep riding as if you didn't notice people's gesture
aargee is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 19:41   #3

This means that the thoughts behind always on headlamps in two wheelers is working very well. Since it is able to catch up the eyes in daylight also, we can say that the mission is accomplished

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2017 at 11:59. Reason: Please use only forum smileys. Thanks!
02ayushgupta is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 20:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Auto-headlamps on (AHO): Getting rid of people's gestures on the road

Just give it a few weeks/ months based on where you are located. AHO is going to help cure hand gestures on our roads for good.

PS: I.e. gestures related to the headlight only, others will continue.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 20:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

3. Simply ignore and keep riding (this can be little unnerving as one fellow Bullet owner chased me and was repeatedly gesturing that I need to kill my lights )
I have been riding bikes with this feature for last 2 years, you just nod or show a thumbs up back. Works for 99.9% case.
Jaggu is online now   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 21:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ignore and ride on is what I did when I used to ride a D390 with the headlamps on before AHO was introduced.
The amount of stress someone takes just to let you know your headlamp is on is something I enjoyed. It is like the battery in my bike was bought and given to me by them. It is just one of those habits of the general public. Nothing much to do.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 22:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
With the implementation of BS IV and all two wheeler getting updated with "Always/Auto Headlamp (AHO)" feature, motorist are in for numerous hand gestures by the normal road users advising them on their switched ON headlamps.
You can always get a headlamp mask for your BS IV CL350. Poke some holes in it to avoid excess heating of the headlamp glass( Dont know if it works or not). Search BULLETWALA for headlamp cover. It costs around $19 but you can get it much cheaper in local market. The link is
http://www.bulletwala.com/index.php/...l#.WN_V1stX7qA.

This is my first ever post on Team-BHP and that too on a Royal Enfield query. Life cant get any better.

P.S. :- I request moderators to remove the link if it violates any of the posting rule.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2017 at 12:00. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Ry_der is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 23:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To my mind these are the following points which will help
My mechanic went a step ahead for one of his customer. Included head lamp switch (switch controls the -ve supplied to the headlamp) as per the customer request
Mr.Boss is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 00:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the implementation of BS IV and all two wheeler getting updated with "Always/Auto Headlamp (AHO)" feature, motorist are in for numerous hand gestures by the normal road users advising them on their switched ON headlamps.
The fault is not yours!

It's the Govt. responsibility to advertise the change in ALL LEADING Newspapers, Radio, TV News etc.

However, things will be normal within next 1-2 months, when word of mouth gets to majority public.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:00   #10
BHPian

Traffic signal somewhere in Bengaluru -

Commuter 1: Boss, Light light!
Me: <<Nods the head>>
Commuter 1: Boss, headlight on!!!
Me: Switch broken saar.
Commuter 1: <<in utter disdain, "My Slingshot rocks!">>

Stuck in a slow moving jam en route office on Whitefield main road -

Cool Dude in Ray Bans in a heavily sticker-ed (more bhp) hatch: Dude! Headlight.
Me: <<Ignore>>
Cool Dude: Bro! <<points at the headlight>> headlight on!!!
Cool Dude: Dude! Turn off your headlight bro!!!
Me: <<Nodding profusely, gesturing with the left hand - its ok>>
Cool Dude: <<Finger pointing>>
Me:

On a long ride passing through a village:

Commuter 2 in opposite direction: <<Flash flash flash flash flash flash the pass switch>>
Commuter 2: <<Flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash the pass switch with hand gestures!!!>>
Me: <<flash flash flash high beam>>
Commuter 2: <<Go close to the black bike and yell "headlight headlight">>
Me: <<Go off-road to avoid a head-on collision! >>

Anecdotes based on true events.

I hope AHO doesn't make the situation worse than it was.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2017 at 12:02. Reason: Please do NOT use abusive language on Team-BHP, even indirectly
Porschefire is offline   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:04   #11
BHPian

They will go out of their way to gesture you to kill your headlamps so that your battery, apparently made out of military grade uranium, is preserved.

But they won't stop and help or call in an ambulance when you have an accident. And they surely won't shy away from taking their phones out to film you bleed.

Irony of our nation.
barcalad is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Traffic signal somewhere in Bengaluru -

I hope AHO doesn't make the situation worse than it was.
Well a worse situation can be:

Somewhere in Uttar Pradesh

Commuter 2 in opposite direction: <<<<Flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash the pass switch with hand gestures!!!>>
Commuter 1 (Female): <<Ignore>>

Police VAN Coming behind Commuter 1 arrests Commuter 2 <<Anti Romeo Squad>>.
mukeshgoel is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... as one fellow Bullet owner chased me and was repeatedly gesturing that I need to kill my lights[/i] )

Ever since I bought my Ninja back in 2010, I've had this issue... and it haunts me to this date on the bonnie. I just ignore the buggers and cuss inside my lid in the worst case. Never had anyone chase me yet lol.

Just grin and bear it. If they do the horn pressing gesture avoid showing them the finger. I just return the same horn pressing gesture back at these jokers at times.
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:40   #14
BHPian

1. Flash your lights and acknowledge that you understand what they are talking about. Smile if possible.

2. Act angry as if they are gesturing something dirty

Does this AHO ruling mean that bikes can't have DRLs on instead of the headlights?
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 16:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
1. Flash your lights and acknowledge that you understand what they are talking about. Smile if possible.

2. Act angry as if they are gesturing something dirty
You can smile, laugh, cry, be angry, irritated and what not but all they'll see is this -->

Auto-headlamps on (AHO): Getting rid of people's gestures on the road-fbsy_zcw.jpeg

Quote:
Does this AHO ruling mean that bikes can't have DRLs on instead of the headlights?
AHO is a wrong term imo. It is nothing but a DRL (Daytime Running Lamp) which can be a headlight(s), aux lights, LED sub lights or a combination of all. Auto Headlight On sounds more like a feature that you usually get in cars - headlights switch on while entering a tunnel or when the sunlight fades. I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturers start using it as a marketing gimmick.

"2017 Splendor, now comes with AHO technology!!!!"

Last edited by Porschefire : 2nd April 2017 at 16:57.
Porschefire is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote