Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th June 2017, 13:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My White Japanese X-2 : The Yamaha FZ25

I just stumbled upon this thread and I know I am late but congratulations on the bike Brilliant write-up too.

I love the irony of this product in Yamaha's line-up. After the 2 stroke golden era, the launch of the R15 shook up the Indian market as it was the first proper performance bike we got and that permitted the premium Yamaha demanded for it. Now, years later after the game has moved forward with thoroughbred 200, 250, 300cc offerings from other brands, Yamaha has again gone and given our market an all new proposition, yet it follow almost exactly the opposite thinking; an economic and sensible in every way, large capacity motorbike. The sheer mileage this thing gives makes up for whatever peak performance it may lose out on. It is lightweight, fairly simple innards and super easy on the pocket. This was definitely needed IMO to have more bikers in India move up the ladder and begin riding 250cc bikes.

That said, have you tried doing anything with that highbeam? I saw the video you posted and that is really pathetic to say the least. Isn't there any way to adjust the beam?

Also, if refinement gets you going, why not switch to Motul 300V engine oil when you give your bike in for its next service? Trust me, you will feel the difference far better than the overhyped yamalube that the showroom stocks

Any planned mods to the looks of this machine, I'm not a fan of the excessive black plastic cladding look that the Dominar and this thing adorn. I much prefer the design of the old FZ-16 which harked back to the FZ-1. Would love to see a less cluttered take on this bike. Also, you've got me curious after you mentioned your old Pulsar 150. Got any pictures of that in its final iteration after all your mods to it?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th June 2017 at 14:00.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 14:18   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
..The bike is doing pretty well, but surely there are loads of issues I am noticing and here are some that I can't get over...
- Seat is quite hard and not suited for long rides, at least not for me. In fact, my bro's CBR 650F has such soft seating that FZ25 seats almost feel like the first-gen KTM seats in comparison.
Damn

How's it compared to the new D250? I was considering this for those odd weekend breakfast rides(150-200kms) with a pillion. I don't really like the dominar so to say and Duke250 is kinda slightly out of budget at 2.28L now in Bangalore(got the quote last week).

Quote:
With bikes like Akula, G310R, Gixer 250, CBR 250R(?), etc in the horizon, Yamaha better offer some tangible extras if they want to continue selling this quarter litre bike.
Guess the G310R/gixxer 250 would be the closest in terms of usability when compared to FZ25, but the question is when would they come? The wait is seriously agonizing.

Quote:
Would I Buy the FZ250 Again...PROBABLY NOT!!
That's really disheartening to hear from a new owner.

Today I came across this thread for the first time as I was considering this bike for an upgrade from my 9 year old RTR160(modified to 172cc, 18bhp setup), but looks like I should wait out some more time for other offerings to trickle in our market and then take a call.

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th June 2017 at 14:22.
SoumenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 15:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread and I know I am late but congratulations on the bike Brilliant write-up too.

That said, have you tried doing anything with that highbeam? I saw the video you posted and that is really pathetic to say the least. Isn't there any way to adjust the beam?
Thank you Ishaan on the write up comment. Yes, this was my first 'Bike' ownership, so much of it was not really like a true biker's review like the ones available here on the forum.

The highbeam design is quite bad and almost impractical. I have adjusted the headlight assembly myself for a better throw, but the highbeam cannot be improved I guess as its just one single component.

Quote:

Also, you've got me curious after you mentioned your old Pulsar 150. Got any pictures of that in its final iteration after all your mods to it?
I had loads of pics buddy, but everything on the Hard Disc was wiped out in 2006 when my PC crashed, and back then, having a portable HD was not quite feasible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Damn

How's it compared to the new D250?
Today I came across this thread for the first time as I was considering this bike for an upgrade from my 9 year old RTR160(modified to 172cc, 18bhp setup), but looks like I should wait out some more time for other offerings to trickle in our market and then take a call.
I have only ridden the RTR 200V and RTR180 Soumen, so can't really comment on the RTR 160. But if you have got that bike to churn out 18BHP, I am assuming it is not very different from the RTR 180.

So here are my thoughts:

- If your preference is performance, you will actually get bored with both the FZ25 and Duke 250 sooner than later. These 2 bikes are quick, but they will not set your pulse racing like a Duke 390/RC 390 would.

- If you preference is pillion comfort and touring, I think you must look away from these 2 bikes again. I have not really 'Toured' on FZ25, but just the city errands are enough to convince me & my wife that this bike is not designed to be sat on for long intervals in its OEM avatar.

- At INR 1500/- for the "First Free Server", this is particularly not cheap to own bike. I am not sure about the KTM service costs & intervals though.

There are some positives though:

- If you have toured on your RTR 160, then FZ25 will be much better in that aspect. The riding position is quite relaxed and the big tank with 35-40 Km/L FE can keep you happy.

- If you love refinement, this bike may excite you more than the Duke 250. This thing sounds great and stays refined even after some spirited rides.

- The bike is very light and so easy to ride, that I have spotted women riding this bike on 2 separate instances. Not that the others cannot be ridden by women, its just that one can quite literally come in from an Activa or Vespa, and start riding this quarter litre machine without much difficulty.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 15:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vik just out of curiosity, you have been quite open and even without you needing to mention it, it clearly shines through in your posts, that bikes don't churn up much excitement in you anymore. Considering this purchase was solely done to take advantage of the better fuel economy and will be used only in the city since you aren't enamored enough by bikes to take them out on the highway, why didn't you look at a used Reva or E2O? No worries about mileage at all, the instantaneous torque delivery of an electric motor and their small footprint makes them a breeze and quite exciting to drive in the city, range also should not matter much since your needs out of this secondary vehicle were strictly restricted to city use, definitely more comfy than a bike also since you would be sitting in a proper seat not a saddle and youd have the option of AC, sealed from the elements and no gears to work. Did it ever come up, the thought of a used little electric hatch? Were there any reasons you did not entertain that possibility? In my mind it seems like that would have been ideal for your requirements as well.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th June 2017 at 15:38.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 22:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your experience. Surprised as Yamaha is known for quality. Seems they have become cost conscious while selling at an attractive price and it is showing on quality.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 14:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Hey Vik just out of curiosity, why didn't you look at a used Reva or E2O?
Actually Ishaan, there are a lot many DP (Directly Proportional) stuffs that I had to factor in, and only a 2 wheeler fit the requirement here. Just to name one, there is absolutely no parking space for 2 cars in my parents place, which I visit 2-3 times a week. In fact, with the CBR650 in the garage, it is a bit of a 'Circus' for me and bro to park our bikes one behind the other.

Whether its my bike or my car, I hate to park it by the roadside. So, with all the highway and supersonic runs done in my GT TDI, only a bike could cater to the very restrictive, yet necessary city use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience. Surprised as Yamaha is known for quality. Seems they have become cost conscious while selling at an attractive price and it is showing on quality.
Couldn't agree more with you PatienceWins. In fact, my FZ16 was really spoilt mechanically after one of the road side mechanics serviced it. But the bike never really had the kind of squeaks and rattles that this FZ25 is already having.

I am very honestly hoping that this is just with my bike or the very first lot, and not with all FZ25s.

If it really is the latter, Yamaha's credibility as 'RELIABLE BRAND' may not be very reliable for long!!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 15:42   #52
BHPian

Well I could live with some rattles as long as things like oil seals and coolant leaks don't happen. I know for sure Yamaha makes great quality bikes abroad and even here, they are at par with Honda in terms of reliability and part quality. The FZ25 is made for the purpose of being a lightweight, refined no no-nonsense commuter for those who want to upgrade their Unicorns and Apaches. I strongly feel it's not fair to pit it against a Bajaj KTM or something like that. Also, the 310cc bikes from TVS are not going to be "Cheap"

Last edited by Crankpin : 7th June 2017 at 15:44.
Crankpin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 08:30   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- I am not sure if its the bad quality or just the mere fact of keeping the weight down, but the parts don't feel as robust or well put together. Hell, my previous bike (FZ-16) seemed to built much better than the FZ25

- Because of what I have listed in the first point, there is a constant squeaking, rattling, crunching of parts every time I move the bike. For example, there is some sort of cable fowling below the headlight from the day 1 and Yamaha A.S.S said 'It is Normal Saaar'!!
Just sitting on the seat creates such a ruckus that I just want to start the bike and drown that sound as quickly as possible.

- The rear disc brakes have been squeaking (you have to listen closely) from the day 1. I was informed it was due to dust accumulation and would be taken care during the first service. Now after first service and ~2k Kms, it still exists. I guess this is just 'Normal Saaar' !!

- The bike is quite quick off the line, but damn the braking is reminiscent of my GT TDI, and if you guessed it as BAD, you are wrong...it is POOR. I have had couple of instances where I felt the bike will fish tail and I may just crash into the thing ahead. At least with my GT, I can rely on that tank like build to an extent, but this bike does not feel like the 'Yamahas' we have come to respect.
Don't know Vik but my FZ25 appears to be doing good. Touchwood, no issues faced till now save for the rear noise which is reminiscent of the FZ 150 [when you go over speed breakers/bad roads and there is noise from under seat or some where near there]

No rattles squeaks from anywhere. Front brakes, while not exceptional, they are better than what the CBR 250R had. Rear brakes, don't know, I hardly use, so.. [off-road and when toeing in-line]

Get someone good to inspect these issues as solving these would hardly take an hour if the guy knows his job. Be it at Yamaha ASC or outside.

Discovered two features [on console] and I am unsure if reported, but still, let me share

# the real time fuel economy goes as high as 99.9 kmpl
# the entire rev counter flashes when you hit the ceiling

and the exhaust burble [backfire] after that is to die for, it is actually pretty nice. I couldn't check the lowest real time FE as I was busy enjoying in whatever little time I can spend with this sweet little thing.

The rear part does seem to go through cost cutting and that is sad. The rear fender is the cheapest part in the Yamaha and the console should have been wider to accommodate the clock plus one trip/odo/fe mode.

The contamination arising because of a new pistons/rings need oil and if equipped with a filter to be replaced. I am unsure as to how Yamaha doesn't recommend this. Could you please check the manual, I appear to have lost mine
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 10:04   #54
BHPian

Hi Vik0728,

I have a couple of questions regarding the pilot lamp change which you did:

1. Is the pilot lamp screw type or push-in type
2. To replace the pilot lamp, should we disassemble the entire headlamp assembly?

I tried to open up the windscreen (well, if you call it like that), on top of the headlamp, and tried to get access to pilot lamp to check, but it was not easy to reach.

The yellow-ish pilot lamp doesn't gel well with the 6000K LED unit, I want change the pilot lamp to LED and make it match with headlamp.

can you give me some pointers? Thanks in advance.
vidyasagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 11:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
Hi Vik0728,

I have a couple of questions regarding the pilot lamp change which you did:

1. Is the pilot lamp screw type or push-in type
2. To replace the pilot lamp, should we disassemble the entire headlamp assembly?
Hey vidyasagar, here are the pointers:

1. The pilot lamp on FZ25 is a push-in type.

2. You don't have to disassemble the headlight as such, but you have to remove lot many screws. It is quite easy once you know how to do it, but a bit tricky to explain.
My suggestion is that you take your bike to one of the local accessories shop (for example Tirumala pitstop), and get the LED swapped by them. You can observe the procedure, and it is quite simple for you to do it next time around.

P.S - I followed the above method, and I was able to change the LED bulb of my pilot lamp when the first one went kaput, and could also adjust the headlight focus myself.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 10:30   #56
BHPian

Philips makes good quality LED parking/ city lights which don't have a yellow tint in them.
They are pricey for 2 small LED bulbs but they last a long time for sure!
Attached Images

Last edited by Crankpin : 28th June 2017 at 10:34.
Crankpin is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote