Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th December 2008, 17:55   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
excellent write up. for the simplest bike on road.

yes you can very well do that, i recently gifted myself with Royal Enfield Machismo 500 which has right side breaks. I might just get it changed soon.

I am overwhelmed after reading so many stories from felow riders. Hope the guy who started this thread got the answer by now
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 12:50   #152
BHPian

just a trivia question after a " going down memory lane " session with dad.

Did the old Bullet, Jawa,have batteries in them and which period did they start having them from if not ?
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 13:02   #153
BHPian

Amen. Redbull!!! I loved the writeup about the Bullet.
ron_9191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 15:00   #154
BHPian

@absynthguzler

not sure when, but earlier bullet did have batteries for sure, perhaps without a battery it wouldnt start. Prior to battery era i believe they used have something called dynamo? can somebody confirm?

Last edited by throttleking : 29th October 2009 at 15:04.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 15:33   #155

Why Bullet ... I really can't say I know the answer,
Heck, I don't even know why I sold my first car (2nd hand m800 gifted by dad), added another Rs 12k and bought my RE Lightning 535cc.
Naah, really don't know 'bout that even after 7 years ...
Harry1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 19:12   #156
BHPian

Default And I am still alive...

I am not sure if it was the weight of the Bullet or simply the velocity created by the motion since I was doing a 50+ but had the rod not broken off the road I would be rammed by the dumper behind.

It was last week, while I was heading back home from work past mid-night by the (Ghatkopar-Kurla) L. B. S. Marg when there was slight gravel right in the middle of the road and I could see the skeleton of the iron rods which is used to hold together the concrete slab.

I suddenly felt a jerk from the rear tire, followed with a Thud and then Whoooossshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and involuntarily I let my left hand off the handle to signal the Dumper guy behind that I am off the road.

I was lucky enough to hold the clutch in time before I braked down to zero and the wheel did not get completely locked. While all this happened in a second or two it seemed like a whole life.

Luckily, the iron rod (that had got a little elevation due to the weight of the front tyre and managed to cut through my rear tyre) had just broken off and not left my bike stranded there or caused to slip - Because if that would have happened I am sure the speeding dumper behind me would have run over me as he would have not got anytime to react.

The rod broke, the dumper stopped just behind me with a couple of inches left to spare and I was left with a flat rear tyre, shivering legs and a sweaty palms.

It took quite sometime for me to come over what took place, as I know it could have been really disastrous.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Enfield Bullet?-dsc00503.jpg  

Why Enfield Bullet?-dsc00505.jpg  

Why Enfield Bullet?-dsc00506.jpg  

Why Enfield Bullet?-dsc00508.jpg  

Last edited by mantrig : 11th November 2009 at 19:24.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 20:00   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Ouch that was a nasty one, good to know nothing happened to you.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 20:45   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Ouch that was a nasty one, good to know nothing happened to you.
Thanks.

Infact, even the dumper guy said the same thing, "Tumhara naseeb bahoot acha hai ki tumhari gaadi aage nikal gayi. Acha hai kuch hua nahi, thode ke liye back gaye."
Old 12th November 2009, 14:01   #159
BHPian

@ mantrig someone's praying real good for u buddy!! tht was a close one

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th November 2009 at 14:54. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
ron_9191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 14:12   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Tumhara naseeb bahoot acha hai ...
Great Escape mantrig. Your mount saved the day for you. The legends of Bullet are made of this.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 14:41   #161
BHPian

Here is my Bull Story, which i wrote in other forum.

As far as i remember i always wanted to ride a bullet. That time did not aware whatís differnce between the various models of Bullet, probably i was liking the Thumping sound that time (almost 15-20

years back) when i was in school.

I got a job purchased different bikes and cars but never bought a Bullet as my family had a negative feelings towards it. Why negative, well itís heavy, sounds(thumping) crazy and mostly in our native place the bullet owners were either contractors, goons or small time politicians.

Anyway relocated to Banglaore couple of months before. I have a baleno now, and itís difficult to drive in this crazy city with hell traffic. So i got an execuse to purchase a two wheeler and this time definitely a bullet, even my first priority was to buy a house. My wife and i had lot of discussions whether to buy bullet or not, as i had already spent lot of money in purchasing the cars and bikes previuosly and donít have enough savings now for down payment of house. I told her property value will go down after few months or year and iíll wait for buying house till that time.

This way i convinced her.I had in my mind to buy a 500 machismo, but my wife said she is comfortable in a cruiser as i rode them before in an enticer, so zeroed in on thunderbird.

Now come to the point. Went to Jayngar showroom and handed over all the docs and Check and booked a black TB. They told me itíll take 1 week to deliver and after 6 days they called me and delivered the bike.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 14:55   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
@ mantrig someone's praying real good for u buddy!! tht was a close one
Thanks Ron, I always have started believing it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Great Escape mantrig. Your mount saved the day for you. The legends of Bullet are made of this.
Can't agree more. I am just wondering, had i been on my HH Splendour would the bike get stuck there or would the trye get ripped.

I somehow feel that it was the sheer weight of the front that caused the rod to pop up but again the bike made up for it buy making sure it got me out of it.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:55   #163
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys i was dying to write on this thread but i didnt own a bullet and even after owning i had to experience its aura and spirit. So here comes my story although a long one plz bear with me.

The story starts...

I was in college and had turned 18 so was ready to buy a bike for myself, without a question or doubt in my mind I decided to buy a RE Bullet. But due to financial reasons couldn't buy it as my dad had retired by then. So decided to go for a used one, I still remember it was a rainy evening in the year 2002. I knew a guy who was a mechanic and primarily worked only on bullets. Me and my father went along to his garage to check out some bikes i had already seen a silver colored Standard 350 91 model and shortlisted it but kept it a secret before showing it to my dad.

Both of us were standaing in his garage and gazing at the bike it was awesome and none like any of the bikes on sale at that time. The price was quoted and I was happy that I could buy it with the proposed budget, but at that time I wanted to buy a computer as I was doing my software course and mind you those days the computer was expensive so I had to make a sacrifice and believe me inspite of being a 18 year old i sobbed like a small kid at the same time i realized i cannot put financial burden on my parents so the bullet dream died. Now it was 2005 I got a good job but buying a bullet was nowhere in the radar I instead started liking cars and bought one an Opel Astra. Thats because i dont buy a vehicle to get from point A to point B but for the sheer pleasure of driving or riding one. Ok lets come back to bullet story, years passed by and one fine day in Feb 2010 I happened to sit pillion on my friends bullet Oh man i was mesmerised by its thump which grew on me i started having goose bumps every time the bike throttled and went uphill, words cant explain that experience as i sat on the bullet for the first time in my life.

Yes unlike some of the lucky ones here on this forum none of my family members, friends, neighbours owned a bullet so imagine me sitting on a Bullet when i was almost 26 years of age. I immediately decided to buy a Bullet many advised me to go for a used one as I had never ridden a motorcycle and mind you i was going to learn to ride a two wheeler through Bullet. Also by the time the standard CI was pulled out of production, I insisted on a CI coz it was a part of history and personally i liked it more than the other bullets. I went to the same guy whom I had visited in 2002 after almost 8 years, I saw a beautiful Standard 350 96 model standing there which was recently done up I instantly fell in love and bought it on the spot by giving a token. I thought it was there for me waiting for me and i too felt the same. I started to learn to ride the bullet that's when i knew "YOU DONT RIDE THE MACHINE THE MACHINE RIDES YOU", it was awesome and thrilling, while stationary it was very heavy but once the engine fired up it lightened considerably at which i was amazed. I love every part of this machine it is naked with bare metal body, just like a steam locomotive. Magnificient Machine with equally good aesthetics.

I have never ridden any motorcyle till date in my life except the ROYAL ENFIELD BULLET coz this IS THE BIKE on which i learnt to ride a motorcycle and this bike will remain with me till my last breath. It has become a part of my personality without which i feel incomplete. I LOVE MY ROYAL ENFIELD BULLET STANDARD 350.

GOD BLESS THE ROYAL ENFIELD BULLET. FELLOW BULLETEERS RIDE LOUD RIDE PROUD. Keep Thumping
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 14:36   #164
BHPian

Default Re: Why Enfield Bullet?

Donít have to go for a brand new one.. Actually brand new ones are designed to pull some non bulleteer customers and improve the business not to satisfy the real bulleteers.

Well, thatís a pretty good explanation.

Hey KPH,
you are a my-type thinker.
And who says the braking is on the 'Wrong' side. Ride it for 2 days and one feels that others are designed 'Wrongly'.
Real Bullets have the keys on the flank & brakes on the left
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 15:51   #165
BHPian

Default Re: Why Enfield Bullet?

I too loved the Bullet very much and even now I too feel like owning one. But something which pushes me away is the awful pricing of the bike.
I dont know to what extent the pricing of Bullet is justifiable in addition to the waiting time.

The bike is classic and should have a premium, still when I last inquired the prices I could somehow did not fathom the technology and pricing combo.

For me, a Machismo with a price tag of 75k is justifiable, anything more is plain brand premium for a low quality product.

Sorry if I sound unpleasant, but still I must say I like the bike but hate the way of doing business behind it. They are encashing on the emotions.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote