Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th June 2011, 04:34   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Why Enfield Bullet?

Very Nice Thread

I dont have a long story however the only reason i bought it was almost common to most of the folks here which was the
  • childhood fantasy
  • The Thump
  • The respect
  • Individuality
  • Influence - recently bought a TBTS'11 and have already inspired 2 of my seniors in office to buy one
  • Two wheeler with a personality
My TBTS was almost my first ride in terms of Bullet ( just rode friends TBTS once before i bought it ) and i'm hardly a 2 wheeler fan.

2 months and have just rode about 1300 kms however i drool at the bike atleast 4-5 times a day and clean it myself almost 2-3 times a week after the cleaner washes it everyday.

NEED I SAY MORE
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 17:01   #167
BHPian

I have a CI Electra which i bought it after my decade of dream to own a CI bullet.
Can the scenes below answer the question "Why Enfield Bullet" ?

Scene 1 :

I transferred my bull from my native to Bangalore in train and went to Railway station cargo delivery section to take the delivery a day later.

my conversation with the delivery guy.

Me: did a bike got unloaded from a train from Tirupur?
Guy : No Sir, No bike got unloaded in last 1 week.
Me: Boss, I am sure it would had got unloaded as i got the receipt while loading and they confirmed it will reach Bangalore by the next day.
Guy : No Sir, i am sure no bike is unloaded and there is no bike in the stock room to my knowledge.
Me: Boss, please go and check once again as i called to Tirupur junction and confirmed that it got transported to Bangalore Yesterday itself.
'He checked in stock room and came back after couple of minutes'
Guy : Sir, surely there is no bike unloaded except a Bullet
Me : Boss that is what i am looking for.
Guy : Sir, then you should had clearly told that it is Bullet and not a bike.

Yes, for some people a bullet is never a bike.

Can this answer "Why Enfield Bullet"

Scene 2 :

While i took my bike out of the railway station , a cop stopped me. I thought, ok the other state registration fine saga started from that minute itself !!. To my surprise he stopped me to ask where i purchased the mag wheels for my bullet and he commented it looks awesome especially for the bullet.

A cop stopped me to check where i got mag wheels for my bullet and he is not interested in verifying the papers though it is other state registered.

Can this answer "Why Enfield Bullet"

Scene 3 :

While on on my way back to home from office at 8 pm. my bull's fuel tap is cut and i was in a situation to push the bike for couple of kms in the mid of tight traffic in ORR.
I started pushing it and after few minutes i felt some 2 wheeler is slowing down behind me. Yes, it is a guy in Bullet. He asked me whether i need any help and to which i explained that my fuel tap is broken and i dont have any other chance other than pushing it to home which is about in couple of kms.
He told me that then he will toe me till my home, I resisted it first telling that i can manage and pushing the bull for another 2 kms is not a big problem.
I resisted it because i dont want someone to get stained for me. But to my surprise he told that he know how hard it is to push it even for 100 mts and he will toe me at least for some distance. He did it for a km till i had to take a diversion from ORR to my home.

A stranger giving helping hands !!! is it for me or is it for the Bull ?

Can this answer "Why Enfield Bullet" ?

Scene 4 :

After i bid thanks to the fellow bulleter who toed me for some distance, I started to push my bull again. In a few minutes a guy with his wife and kid crossed me and stopped after some 15mts. Yes, again this guy is also in his bull. He came back and asked if it was fuel problem, If so he would lend me some fuel. I told the fuel tap problem again to him. He told ok and left. Again after 5 mins he came back again and provided the RE customer care number and his private mechanic number and asked me to use it if needed.

While i was pushing the bull initially, 100's of other bikes would had crossed me. But only a bulleter stopped to help a fellow bulleter. Still i use to think whether i would had got help if I was pushing my unicorn instead of my bullet, No answers.

Scene 5 :

I used to park my Bull in my cousins parking lot whenever i go to see him, One morning i parked it and returned back after couple of hours to pick it. Cousins landlord who is a lady of 50 yrs came out of her home just to comment that i got a very good bike.

Even a 50 yr old lady likes Bullet.

Scene 6:

I was waiting in a traffic singal Idling my bullet with its sweet thump. there was a middle aged lady in her activa nearby with her kid of 5 years sitting behind and hugging her. Still i remember his words to his mom with excitement.

"Mommy, see this bike and how it sounds" !!!

A 5 year old kid also likes Bullet.

Still i am searching answers for "Why Enfield Bullet" ?

Last edited by BulZire : 6th June 2011 at 17:19.
BulZire is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 17:46   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Scene 6:

I was waiting in a traffic singal Idling my bullet with its sweet thump. there was a middle aged lady in her activa nearby with her kid of 5 years sitting behind and hugging her. Still i remember his words to his mom with excitement.

"Mommy, see this bike and how it sounds" !!!

A 5 year old kid also likes Bullet.

Still i am searching answers for "Why Enfield Bullet" ?
Even my brother's son barely 1.5 years old rushes to the sound of RETB, when he is back from his bank duty. When we ask the young lad about the sound that RETB makes, all he does is a "BRRRRR...." for almost a minute running from one end of the room to other (it is pure fun watching him do so).

Even my brother's clients often appreciate his choice of vehicle (see no bike).

Further, I have observed that many people borrow bikes from friends, none rarely borrows a Bullet, unless one actually how to ride one. This thing once happened with my brother. One of his banker colleague had to visit his client & sought the bike keys from my brother. When he asked which one is the bike, my brother promptly replied "The only Silver RETB in parking". The keys were promptly returned, with a reply "I know what it takes to ride a Bullet, & it is lot different from other bikes".

Many times people stopping beside at traffics junctions have enquired about the price, & then "Is is easy to drive... how heavy this is?".

At the end, all I can say is that Bullets/ Bulleteers command respect.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 02:24   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
I have a CI Electra which i bought it after my decade of dream to own a CI bullet.
Can the scenes below answer the question "Why Enfield Bullet" ?
Good one there. I've had countless such instances within 2 months

Situation 1

2nd or 3rd day of my purchase and i was happily cruising when this guy on pulsar comes along with 2 girls sitting behind him and the girls screaming "wow bullet dekh , Tu bhi yeh lele ". Little cheesy but the guy felt insulted for sure

Situation 2

Went to the local store to buy eggs and when i turn there's a middle aged guy sitting on my Bull who had got down from ANHC and 2 of his friend get down ( again middle aged and one was a sardarji ). All 3 started admiring the Bull and the interview started

Kitne ki Lee
Leeye hue kitne din ho gaye
Mileage kitni hai
readily available hai etc etc

Then the Sardarji started telling about his younger days that he had a standard in late 70's and had done several long trips across India on it. I was literally flying while talking to these guys.

This is the best one - One of them said "Kaash maine bhi jawani mein BULLET lee hoti " to which i replied - " Sir , This is EXACTLY what i did not want to say when i reached your age "

Situation 3

Waiting for signal to go green and this 800 comes next to me with Parents and 2 kids at the back and the boy goes - " Papa woh dekho Bullet ".

Situation 4

Took the Bull once to work ( Gurgaon ) and was stuck in a Jam when a Middle aged Sardarji lowers his window at the back seat ( in a chauffer driven ANHC and says " Excuse me young man " and when i looked at him he showed Thumbs up sign and said " Nice Bike " - I said thanks and moved on

Situation 5

Went to Karol bagh recently to get my Bulls broken indicator fixed and a guy on Electra ( was getting new seats for Electra ) started asking/advising about bullet as he could make out that i was a new user of this wonderful machine

Questions
How much did you buy it for?
Whats the mileage

Advices
Put some oil into the tank at every tankful
First start tips
Long ride tips

It's surprising to see that people automatically walk up to you to inquire about it.

Situation 6

I park my bike ( i live on the ground floor ) AND MY NEIGHBOR whos about 65 years old ( 1st floor ) comes out in the balcony and says James Bond ( my Bulls regn number is 0077 )hmm..Yaar iski awaaz ka muqabla nahin.

Situation 7 - This one takes the cake

My Companys director ( to whom i report ) had Harley in his wishlist before 2012 end sees my Bull and how passionate i was about it during our offline talks and got SO Much influenced that he Shelved his HD plans and has finally booked the CL 500 however unfortunately there's a wait of about 2.5 months on it and he's expecting it home in August

Phew i'm tired typing this now , i'm sure most of us have had similar experiences but i wanted to take time out to share mine.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th June 2011 at 12:30. Reason: Removed long post quote for benefit of mobile users.
harishnayak is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:40   #170
BHPian

I do not own one, but have been storing a friend's Electra 4S for the last one year. Yes, storing because it didn't get ridden for quite some time now.

But one day as soon as I took it out of a 6 month hibernation to start it, within no time a guy shows up to ask if I'm willing to sell it. And it turns out he was eyeing it for quite some time. That's the "original" cast iron engine, right side gearshift bullet for you!

It feels royal to ride.

But it has taken its share of toll on me. Sprained wrist on the first day of pseudo-ownership, as I forgot within 100 meters of riding where the foot-brake was. And a badly sprained back muscle today, as soon as I took it off the main stand. It hurt to even breathe for an hour. A friend's suggestion, let it go where it wants to go, don't try to hold it back. And the owner calls it "Sherni".
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:34   #171
BHPian

I don't own RE Bullet but one of my friend takes me as a pillion in his 87 model bullet.I have ridden it few times and loved it,but brakes are on the left side which I often forget since I am used to a normal 150cc so I don't ride his bike often.
Why RE bullet?

1.Bullet is hand crafted,Its not a bike its an work of art!
2.It has been in production for almost 55+ Years.
3.Sound from CI engine is just music! It has the best exhaust note for a single cylinder IMO.
4.You don't have to ride it at million Kmph to enjoy the ride,Just slot it into the final gear and cruise at legal speed limit
5.If you think modern bikes turn heads then think again!

I will definitely own an Bullet(CI obviously) in the near future.True bikers should definitely own this beauty at least for a short period of time in their life!
giri1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:19   #172
MHG
BHPian

Once upon a time, if you wanted to buy a bike that was big and comfortable (I'm 6' and heavy built and the midget sized rides very popular here hurt my legs), suitable for being taken for long rides, etc there were few other options to choose from and among them RE was the best. But today, except for the low revving high displacement engine that produces a very sublime thump sound, it has nothing against competition in the same price range. Bullets last a lifetime they say, but the total cost of ownership is enough to equal that of 2-3 of these modern "plastic bikes". A lot of bikes today are equally comfortable, if not more. This may not be rightful comparison in the eyes of RE fans, but I test rode a Suzuki GS150R and it felt like a 2-wheeled Rolls Royce and was capable of doing everything that a Bullet did, performed as well and cost much less both to buy and to maintain. Then there is the set of niggles that come with every Royal Enfield that we are told are part of the "experience" and told that "if you take care of the bike, it takes care of you". This much is true for every bike. If I'd buy any bike and take care of it really well and pamper it, it too will definitely last a lifetime.

I'm not biased against Royal Enfields in general. I used to love them and still do. I just don't find the products appealing enough for me to spend my hard earned money on. If I pay 130k for a bike, it should be totally niggle free and have a premium service.
MHG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:44   #173
BHPian

Well, I think its about being individualistic. The RE haven't got the tech that many modern bikes have. It doesn't do speeds that many other bikes do. And yes, it does not have the FE. But then that is entirely missing the point. RE owners are not people who counts each paisa spent on their rides. They are not pragmatic maybe. But it's about being different. I have always believed that logic is not something that you can apply to human life. It's the chaos and unpredictable nature that makes life interesting. So if we were robots, we all would be riding/driving Japanese vehicles. But then we are not robots. and thank God for that!

Last edited by wantarangerover : 23rd September 2012 at 17:45.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:23   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
............. It's the chaos and unpredictable nature that makes life interesting. ...........!
Yeah..... very true.... 10 years on a HH Splendor and never once a breakdown... 18 months on RE C350- Clutch cable broke and pushing the 185kg monster for 2km.... definitely life is interesting.....

regards
san

Mod team note: Dotty post! Proper punctuation helps with readability.

Last edited by bblost : 25th September 2012 at 16:25. Reason: Dotty Post.
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:00   #175
BHPian

1. The thump, with sewing machine tick tock free.
2. Torque, torque and more torque. A twist of the wrist at 70 kmph on 5th gear and only superbikes can overtake you.
3. Ride quality - all bumps smoothen out and a magic carpet unfolds.
4. The admiring stares, people silently checking you out at traffic signals
5. Kitna deti hai - people dont ask this once they see the 500 badging.
5. King of Indian roads, Harleys can go take a hike
6. Last but not least - electric push button start!!!

P.S. I ride a Classic 500.
abeerbagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 16:15   #176
BHPian

This thread is called "Why Enfield Bullet ?".
We are not listing disadvantages nor are we stating "Why Not enfield bullet"

If bullet is for you and appeals to you, post your reason.

If the bullet does not appeal to you for whatever reason, post that elsewhere -- there are a lot of that kind too.
ashokrajagopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 16:24   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Yeah..... very true.... 10 years on a HH Splendor and never once a breakdown... 18 months on RE C350- Clutch cable broke and pushing the 185kg monster for 2km.... definitely life is interesting.....

regards
san
You don't push the bike because the clutch cable broke.
Get seated.
Start the bike.
Use your leg to push her a little forward.
Engage the second gear by slowly feeling with your foot when the cogs would fall in place.

Ride it.

I once rode my thunderbird about 25 kms in peak traffic with a busted clutch cable.

The key is to listen to the engine and feel her move under you.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 16:43   #178
BHPian

Have a '07 TB. Didn't particularly care for the Enfield "brand", but at the time I bought the bike I wanted a bike that I could cover long distances on in some degree of comfort, and which was (relatively) inexpensive to maintain and fix.

Over the past 5 years, she's taken me to a lot of places, I love the bike! Still don't think much of the Royal Enfield "brand" and "image" though. It's all just marketing (though no one can deny it has done wonders for Bullet sales).

10 years before, would have bought a good second-hand Yezdi for hassle-free touring. If I was looking today, I'd have gone with a CBR 250R.

Like I said, I love my TB, but IMHO no Bullet (no bike for that matter) is worth waiting 6-18 months for.
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 09:07   #179
BHPian

Macho Looks.
Thud Thud sound.
Childhood passion.
You become Man from Boy.
Respect from others.

Every one makes way for a bullet.
Built like a Gun Goes like a Bullet.

I am a sinner because i sold out my RE Standard :( .

Hope these points may justify "Why Enfield Bullet?"
shiju.dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 08:36   #180
BHPian

I have always found Enfield riders to be different in attitude - tough with a Royal personality of their own. I own a green color 1967 model RE with G2 engine made in England with camel color two seats for rider & pillion - believe me i have received lot of admirable comments / appreciative looks on road by fellow riders & car owners. I often find cars & bikes not overtaking me - they just watch my Royal Enfield & realising this i grow more in size & attitude. This bike is like my baby & my friends have grown - this time mechanics :-) When i start it for my pleasure rides - as it comes to life with its famous DUG DUG DUG DUG.. it brings a huge smile & life on my face (it still does as i write this) - oh! I love it!!!
By the way in 60's & 70's bikes were nick named as FATFATIA!!! Anyone heard this name!!! Lastly, they say jokingly, girls turn their heads for new gen other brand bikes but women admire the legend - ROYAL ENFIELD.. I love you baby!!!
Devrishi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote