Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th June 2013, 20:51   #226
BHPian

Why Enfield bullet?

Because it's all steel. no fibre, no plastic. The Bullet also has a lot of character, not to discount the other bikes on the road. They are good but a bullet is a bullet.

Also because its the only company which has managed to build a strong community of brand loyal customers.

I get to hear this a lot from non bullet owners, isn't it too heavy? And I smile and say " you have to ride it, not carry "

I will share a small story which happened sometime in December 2011. I was riding solo from Mumbai to Bangalore and suffered a breakdown somewhere after Dharwad on the highway. It was 8:30 in the evening and the highway was deserted and dark with very thin traffic of trucks and cars zooming away to glory. I was stranded, couldn't leave the Bull on the highway , dint know what to do. Luckily I had the contact of Mr Kartik who heads the south and west region for RE in India.

I called him and told him my Bullets electricals have gone kaput and I am stranded. He was in Bangalore, he connected me to a customer service advisor in Bangalore who connected me to a dealer in the next town called Davangere, the dealer said that since it's 9:30 , the service center is obviously closed but he connected me to the mechanic who was in his residence. They provided me directions to troubleshoot the problem over the phone and got my Bullet fired. All the time , each one of them were waiting patiently in the conference. Kartik told me" don't worry, if your bullet doesn't start we will send someone to pick you up". You have no idea how those few words sound when you are stranded on the highway. He added " long route riders like you have to be taken care of ". God bless him and his team.

Which other company can you think of doing this? This is how the brand has gained the trust and confidence of their scores of customers and have some die hard fans. I will not ride, if it's not a Bullet. Nothing else will do
Vishbull_6157 is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 22:41   #227
BHPian

Why RE?For me it was a dream right from the schooling time to own a Royal Enfield. I always used to fancy owning one.When i started making money my first objective was to buy a RE.For me what matters most is the aura and feel i gets when i ride my bike.The beauty my eyes perceive each time when I see the timeless retro design especially those tear drop tank , head design , side covers,spoke wheels and pretty much everything . It makes the enthusiast in me reach motoring nirvana. I can experience pure mechanics in action when ever i ride this machine.I can hear the mechanical clatter,i can feel the crank rolling.i can feel the gear changes.All this mechanical moments is never hidden from the rider i can feel it all.Above all the ride at 60-80 km\hr is the most exhilarating thing. It feels like heaven a quality not many can replicate. Especially for those who have a sedate riding style.RE in a nutshell have lot of downsides like lack of quality, efficiency and some plus point's which can overshadow the downsides.Royal Enfield succeded in carrying over there legacy,hand build with love,engineered with purpose and designed with mechanical errors build in.
justin.das is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 15:31   #228
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Why Enfield Bullet?

I got into the Enfield Bullet world through a friends bike. Before that the idea of a Bullet for me was like most others ,which is heavy, difficult to ride/start, wrong side brakes/gear lever and such.
I was used to riding RX,Shogun and 4S Champions before that and for a tall person like me, those were actually small for me which I actually did not realize since I have never rode a Bullet.

One fine day in college year , a good friend picked up a limited edition Bullet Campus and surprised all of us and needless to say , all of us had a spin on it. This was 2001 and the Enfield fame was still quite low and all you could see on the roads were a handful of Standards and if someone knew of a person who owns a 500, that person was God! like the RD350 person.
I had a tough time starting the Bullet the first time and at the same time had to balance the bike's weight on one leg which was difficult coming from riding puny 100cc's. Finally my friend started the bike for me and the first thing I noticed was, how far part my feet were when on the foot rests! The engine/clutch casing was so wide that the footrests were far apart unlike the other bikes then and that made me feel like some hero on the bike!
Took the bike for a short spin and fell in love instantly. The thump always caught my attention and now it was the feel as well. The vibrations, the speed and not knowing it , the posture, all got in me and it was the best bike I had rode till then. I rode the RD after that, but it never actually got into me as much as the Bullet did. Of course the speed and torque of the RD is something else which I appreciated, but the Bullet as a package was for me.
The next year my father finally decided to get me a bike and I did not tell him my choice and decided to agree with which ever he chose. He is an old school man and he was a Bullet afficiando too I guess and asked me to go for the Bullet stating it is the safest bike which made me wonder . It was only later I realized what he meant . The bike was the heaviest around and skidding and falling off chances are extremely low compared to the other bikes around.
That is when my 'Trip' began. Did plenty of trips, realized riding is my passion and visiting places along with that. If I had any other bike, I would never would have realized this.
I recently did a trip and rode a RTR180 for a short while on an expressway. I cant explain how comfortable and involving my 500 was compared to it. I stopped after 50kms of riding it with a sore bottom and ran for my Bullet. I did enjoy the RTR on city roads though.

My Bullet Electra my father bought me is 11 years old and 95000 kms run with no work done at all and still going strong and will always remain my first love. I picked up a Std 500 just for long trips 6 years ago so my 350 can take it easy. I had thought of getting rid of the Bullets to pick up a faster bike, but could never do it and still cannot. It is something I am related with and something which I am extremely comfortable with. Maybe the Cafe Racer will change my mind.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 15:58   #229
BHPian

When I reached my office today afternoon, the parking lot was full and around 10 employees who entered the lot at that time were searching the whole parking area to squeeze their bikes into a space somehow. But when i came inside the lot the security in charge stopped me and said "Sir, for Bullet there is a space just next to the lift and you can park there". hope you can imagine other's reaction who were waiting for more than 5 mins to identify a space.

Not sure about whether his words are fortunate or unfortunate, it just made me and my bull happy and proud.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 16:11   #230
BHPian

After 13 years of ownership and 2,00,000+ kms on the odo, I'm still still searching for the right answer -'Why Enfield Bullet?' - I'm yet to find the right answer
All the pages put together, one still gets the feeling, something is missing. Probably the right answer is on the lines of 'Melody khao hud jaan jao'
padikpanther is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 16:50   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padikpanther View Post
After 13 years of ownership and 2,00,000+ kms on the odo
200000+ Kms is a great coverage man. You are one of true bulleter. Itís a matter of proud (even ego) to own 3 box engine bullets. Which model do you have? If possible please start a separate ownership thread.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:24   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
This was 2001 and the Enfield fame was still quite low and all you could see on the roads were a handful of Standards and if someone knew of a person who owns a 500, that person was God! like the RD350 person.
Still somehow I feel those days were better as one used to enjoy the uniqueness of owning a Cult cycle. I will not be surprised to find that Bullet, one day, will not be a bike that once used to give that 'Special' feel to the rider. Going by the strong Marketing of REML & the enhanced production capacity, it will soon become a mainstream motorcycle rather then catering the niche segment.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:50   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Still somehow I feel those days were better as one used to enjoy the uniqueness of owning a Cult cycle. I will not be surprised to find that Bullet, one day, will not be a bike that once used to give that 'Special' feel to the rider. Going by the strong Marketing of REML & the enhanced production capacity, it will soon become a mainstream motorcycle rather then catering the niche segment.
True. It is almost become like that now. When the cast irons were in production along with the few AVL's, every bike felt different to ride and feel. Even the exhaust note on each bike were different although it was with the stock pipes.

Now from what I have ridden the few UCE's, they all felt the same and felt closer to a modern bike rather than a big bore single.

Regards
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 14:36   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
200000+ Kms is a great coverage man. You are one of true bulleter. Itís a matter of proud (even ego) to own 3 box engine bullets. Which model do you have? If possible please start a separate ownership thread.
Alok, I have a 1999 Std 12 V. An ownership thread looking back over 13 years is really difficult to pen down. But if I've sum it up in one word, its 'BLISS' (irrespective of all the 'nakhras' and 'jhatkas')
padikpanther is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 22:53   #235
BHPian

Is there anyone from Chennai who could direct me to a good mechanic. Mine is a 10 year old electra which needs some repair and re-painting.
vinucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 23:25   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
Why Enfield bullet?

Kartik told me" don't worry, if your bullet doesn't start we will send someone to pick you up". You have no idea how those few words sound when you are stranded on the highway. He added " long route riders like you have to be taken care of ". God bless him and his team.

Which other company can you think of doing this? This is how the brand has gained the trust and confidence of their scores of customers and have some die hard fans. I will not ride, if it's not a Bullet. Nothing else will do
Wow. This is called customer service. Hats off to Mr. Kartik - I hope he reads this message and feels proud of himself and his team.

No doubt that legacy Bullet has created will never go out of fashion.
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 06:36   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Is there anyone from Chennai who could direct me to a good mechanic. Mine is a 10 year old electra which needs some repair and re-painting.
The link below should get you some answers,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ries-here.html (The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here)
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 03:32   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
I would have been a bullet owner by 10 years now. Had i made the choice back in 2003, when i just got my first job and was all set to buy my first ever motorbike. I was 20 then and with not much moolah at hand and with a relatively high down payment at that time I had to opt out and go for a pulsar 150 classic (non DTSi), which I do not regret, loved it and still have it with me. it is just as good as it was then...

I now have the opportunity to attempt to get a bull yet again, after 10 years. and this time its a different scene altogether, I have the money, but I lack the patience to wait for 6-8 months for the Electra 350 I booked earlier this month.

I had tried many bullets. Std 350CI, CL500, CL350, Electra 350UCE and loved each one of them. Hope to get my bull sooner than 6-8 months...

Note from Support: Please do not type dotty...posts...like....this.....

Buddy,
It's the same story for me. Bought a Pulsar classic in 2003 used it for almost 9+ yrs, and now riding a RE350Classic. Way back in 2003, daddy offered an option to buy a bullet as it was my childhood dream to own one, but due to money constraints I opted for Pulsar classic which again was an awesome piece of metal(except for some plastics stuck over it).

My love for Bullet goes 3 decade back. One of my uncle (Dad's cousin now a retired ACP-thane) owned a bullet model-1972 the time before I was even born(he still own's it). Whenever he traveled from Thane to Satara with his family(Wife & two kids) he use to stop over at our place in Pune and leave the next day. We(5 cousins plus his two) always used to get a ride on it. I still remember saying to him at the age of 5 yrs. "that I will buy one when I grow young".
The sound of that CI engine, Roots horn, and the punch in the air once the bike was started, did impress me a lot. He always carried a toolkit while travelling but what I remember, till date, he never had a brake down other than tyre puncture and twice his battery drained off. This I am saying is during the time of travel. Otherwise the bull did have its issue but they were to all other vehicle of that era. He had his Bull overhauled and re-painted thrice . I remember the First time he had a new paint job, it did look as a Harley as the colour of bike had changed from usual black to white and burgandy red combo, white being in 80% majority. He being a huge fan of Muhammad Ali & Pele, had replaced the original logo of Bullet to replace it by an golden(Pittal) and red combo embossed monogram "KING PELE". The bike was famous in our colony as no body had any during that period. That was a period when telephones were not common in houses and to get a prior information of guests coming down to visit was very rare. But his bull did let us know his arriaval into our BAJAJ COLONY.
Being into Police service, he had two bulls, one being this personal and another which he got in 80's "The duty bike" which he always preferred to call it to differentiate between the two. It had that siren and a yellow orangish light attached to it and because of this he never let anybody ride it as he always said this is not for personal service. We did get few rides to school when he dropped us while leaving for duty. That would be a day when I(and cousins) would be a boss for the day among my(our) friends.

Anyways, back to 2013 and now I am a proud owner of RE-350 classic which I have yet to show it to my uncle. I had booked in July 2012 and after a long long & long 10 months wait finally own it. It's been 3 monsoon months and 3356kms on odo. Looking out for a long trip once I am free from office my projects.

I simply love this bike because it is a BULLET.

My son who is only 3 yrs. of age has fascination of cars n bikes. From the time he started recognizing things and objects, he is into automobiles. He can recognize around 18 to 20 emblems of car and around 45-50 car models (including Range rover, Bentley, RR, Audi, Merc, BMW, Aston Martin, Nissan, Chevy camero, Dodge challenger, Mini cooper old n new and many more) but he loves only two things the most, one is my 11yr old Palio(Italian horse) & Bullet(a tough Indian Bull). He observes me when I am at the service of the two.
For him the other bikes are called motorcycles, but Bullet is a BULLET. It should not be called as motorcycle.
My brother-in-law once teased him by calling the bike as motorcycle, not once but continuously, in return my son gave a fist in such an area, that he will remember for long.

To all bulleter's and RE fans, be safe and ride safely, wear your helmets and keep that thumping metal under you clean and ever shining. "The only joy of life is by owning it and for life long".

Team-BHP, thanks for this forum, finally after following you for around 6 plus years, I have written down such a long stuff. NOSTALGIC!!

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th September 2013 at 06:43. Reason: Only two smileys per post please.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 12:46   #239
BHPian

Back when I was in school and we used to visit India for vacations.Once in a while I would head the THUMP and wonder,What is this machine.I remember on one such occasion asking my mom what it was and she mentioned that its called a Enfield and its a old bike.My dad who owned RD's and Yezdis back in his youth also told me about the "FEEL" that one gets from riding these bikes.

Fast forward about 8 years.I'm a college student.My dad gives me his old car as a part of a challenge(He told me If I scored more than 85% in 12th,The car would be mine as soon as I get a license).After a year of driving it around I decided to give the car back,As someone had vandalised it while it was kept in the parking lot).It would be worth mentioning that my parents(Mom actually) don't like motorcycles at all.On one visit to my college my dad noticed how far I live from the campus.

A few more months pass and its my birthday.I get a call from the dad saying that "I've bought you a bullet,go home ride it".He mentioned it was a 1983 bull.I was quite apprehensive about this.Since I was looking forward to the classic.As it turned out the back then the waiting time on the classic350 was about 8 months.So after consulting with my cousins(Bulleteers)He went ahead and bought me the '83.

Now I rode it a bit in the hometown.Liked the feel a lot,Found it a bit hard to get it started.Since the bull was the first bike I rode long term.The RHS gear shift was not a problem at all.Also the bike wasn't mechanically 100% fit when I got it.My dad being an Automobile engineer wanted me to see whats wrong and get it fixed.Finally after a long wait I get the bike delivered to my college location.

Here is where my experience with the bull truly starts.Struggle would be an understatement to what I had faced with the bike initially.Since I wasn't used to the quirks of the bull I used to stall it quite a bit.And after stalling I couldn't get it started back up.Found a very friendly mechanic for servicing,who gave me some very useful tips on starting the bull(He could see that I was a Newbie).

There was one particular incident where me and a friend rode from Manipal to Kudremukh and that was when I first felt what can be truly decscribed as the "THUMP".That connection between the rider and the motorcycle.On the return trip just as we reached manipal my bikes exhaust valve got stuck.I pushed it nearly 1 km.Broke my back nearly.
After all this got quite a lot of work done on the bike,mechanically.It felt better than ever.

Took quite a few rides on the bull after this.Was very comfortable with it.I was sure that it wouldn't break down on me.Went from Manipal to Goa.Manipal to Cochin.Not a single problem faced on any of these trips.

Now I have also ridden the classic500 extensively and it is an amazing bike.Very smooth ,excellent pickup(comparitively?).However I did not feel the before mentioned "THUMP".It felt normal.That feel that one gets when you fire up a CI.However I would keep a classic 500 as a regular ride and the CI for those soul searching trips

All this leads up for my answer to the question "Why Enfield bullet?"

Simply put,I would go through all the troubles I faced with the bull(Includes all the times I tried to start her in front of friends and she just refused to fire up)all over again.I could go on about Heritage,Classic Brit motorcycle.

But in the end its the relationship between the Rider and the Motorcycle yes?
Attached Images

B O V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 16:09   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
When I reached my office today afternoon, the parking lot was full and around 10 employees who entered the lot at that time were searching the whole parking area to squeeze their bikes into a space somehow. But when i came inside the lot the security in charge stopped me and said "Sir, for Bullet there is a space just next to the lift and you can park there". hope you can imagine other's reaction who were waiting for more than 5 mins to identify a space.

Not sure about whether his words are fortunate or unfortunate, it just made me and my bull happy and proud.
I have a similar tale to narrate as well.

I used to work in Gurgaon 3 years back, and the parking attendant in the parking lot (just next to the DLF tower) used to reserve a place just for my bullet!

Due to some issues with the bike, I had to borrow a friend's pulsar for 2-3 days, and the attendant explicitly told me, "saab, ap bullet par hi aya karo, apko wohi suit karta hai" Had I taken the pulsar a few more days, I was afraid he might have very well taken that coveted parking spot from me
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote