Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th April 2015, 13:28   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Why Enfield Bullet?

What family members think :

1. They don't like the bullet looks. It looks like a gigantic Ant as my sister describes!!!

2. They feel it is very very outdated and if I drive one, I will look like a military guy or a Cop.

3. The cost is too high. Rs.1.55L for a bike (I own a TBTS 350)... OMG!!!

4. Thunderbird is just fine when compared to bullet in terms of looks.But still ugly when compared to modern bikes.

I cannot answer positive for the below questions to anyone:

1. Can one cruise at 100-120 kmph on a 350CC RE bike - No

2. Is it trouble free or niggle free - No

3. Does is cost easy on maintenance - No

4. Is the initial investment less - No

5. Is it easy to maneuver around the city traffic with such a heavy bike - No

6. Does it have super solid brakes or ABS brakes at such high cost - No

6. Is it very fuel efficient - No

I cannot answer in positive for these questions which my friends/relatives ask. But still why did I buy a RE machine?

The one and only reason why I bought a RE bike was my passion towards a bullet. In a layman's language, the "tubu tubu tubu" sound. I feel I am the lord of the road. There can't be any reason to say why I like something.

Why I like my Mom than anyone on earth

Why I like a particular god

Why I like a particular color

Why I like a particular food

Why I like a particular place

Why I like a particular culture

Why I like a bullet

I haven't found an answer till now. I am really not interested in finding one too. But I like a bullet. So I don't think too much. I just ride.

To be true, I have myself felt irritated with those niggles. There were days when my work schedule didn't permit me to take my bike to the service center and as a effect of which I had to ride with the problems. Have even thought that I should get out of the bullet game. When in such situations, I play a game with my mind.

What is it?

Just keep my TBTS covered for 2-3 days and ride/travel on other vehicles. The third day my heart goes in search of my bull and that is why I love her. I have no other reason!!!

I did not know anything in terms of technicals about a bike. But I am learning so many things about troubleshooting an issue after acquiring the RE machine.

Ride safe. Ride a bullet. Get energized.

Last edited by rki2007 : 6th April 2015 at 13:34. Reason: More information added
rki2007 is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 17:14   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post

Meanwhile let the pictures do the talking.
looks like a Good restoration
But can you do something about the chrome plating on the horns? They look pitiable. Maybe if you can dis-assemble the outer covers and give it for a plating job.
Beauty is in the details, you know.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 17:31   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
looks like a Good restoration
But can you do something about the chrome plating on the horns? They look pitiable. Maybe if you can dis-assemble the outer covers and give it for a plating job.
Beauty is in the details, you know.
Thanks for the appreciation. Honestly I didn't want to wait any longer for the horn cover chrome plating. I wanted to ride it endlessly, but yes I do agree I need to either paint it matt black or chrome it.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 09:59   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Thanks for the appreciation. Honestly I didn't want to wait any longer for the horn cover chrome plating. I wanted to ride it endlessly, but yes I do agree I need to either paint it matt black or chrome it.
Man, I think that the restoration looks damn nice and that was an excellent backstory.

Didn't the '69 come with those box shaped rear mudguards? or was it stopped earlier on?

Regards,

BOV

p.s I don't think it needs any buffing or chrome plating, the rust adds a nice feel IMO.

Last edited by B O V : 7th April 2015 at 10:02.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 10:35   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Man, I think that the restoration looks damn nice and that was an excellent backstory.

Didn't the '69 come with those box shaped rear mudguards? or was it stopped earlier on?

Regards,

BOV

p.s I don't think it needs any buffing or chrome plating, the rust adds a nice feel IMO.
Thanks for the appreciation mate. Yes indeed the models of those era came with a box shaped rear and front mudguard. My B1 was abandoned for a very long time by the previous owner. The rear original mudguard bowed down to the lashes of time and was in an irrepairable state. We were still able to salvage the front mudguard which was also in a bad shape. I am hunting for one of those rear box mudguards and will fit it whenever I find it, else will get it custom fabricated.

About the horn cover even I thought the same, I will keep there for some more time and might replace it with Roots Vibro Mini horn.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 23:34   #261
BHPian

I had a hard time putting this one line up. Hope that BHPians like it.

'If you want fun, there are other bikes out there. If you want pleasure, look no further! '

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 00:46   #262
BHPian

Why Bullet? Because there's nothing else quite like it.

I'm not a fan of the really old, heavy crank bullets that are mostly thump and little go, they're a bit too slow for my taste. I like the lighter engine that came on the 5 Speed Electra CI, just before they switched to the UCE mill. That had enough thump, the brakes and the gear were on the "right" side, and the 5th cog and the front disc meant things were a bit more manageable, once you put some decent rubber on it.

The new UCEs are a bit too light, and too noisy, but the UCE500 is rather sweet, with some thump and a lot of shove to compensate for the missing feel of the old CI engine.

There's nothing like the Bullet to make you feel at peace while riding. It makes you feel unhurried and peaceful, like it stretches time.

I'm just gathering the required resources to buy my own Standard 500. Should happen in a month or so if things go right.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 14:55   #263
BHPian

Meanwhile on the other side

http://www.businessinsider.in/5-reas...w/56478640.cms
slicvic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 19:56   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Don't take me as a fan boy of Bullet...but I think the author has not updated his database on Bullets and is still in the well swimming about in the murky water of his hate for Bullets.

Just to quote from his article

[The bike doesn’t have the pickup of a 350cc bike, lacks the comfort of 350 cc bike, doesn’t stop like a 350 cc bike, but has a mileage that is far more worse that a 350cc bike. If you buy a Bullet, get ready to keep refilling the tank.]

1. He is right about the pickup part of a stock machine but has no idea how a well tuned Bullet accelerates.
2. How should a 350 cc motorcycle stop ? Should it stop like an horse that has decided to send the rider alone over the oxer ?
3. 45kmpl for a 350 cc (I am referring to UCEs) is not enough for this guy.

If by chance you are reading this post - Please... Don't babble dude

Last edited by adrian : 13th January 2017 at 20:09. Reason: correcting mistake
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 20:24   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
1. He is right about the pickup part of a stock machine but has no idea how a well tuned Bullet accelerates.
2. How should a 350 cc motorcycle stop ? Should it stop like an horse that has decided to send the rider alone over the oxer ?

If by chance you are reading this post - Please... Don't babble dude
Looking at the choice of words he has used in the post, he does not appear to have any experience in Motor Journalism.

Words like Mileage (instead of efficiency), Pickup (instead of acceleration) are seldom used by professionals.

Some more quotes:
"Bullets are Handmade!"
How are other motorcycles made? with Legs?

"world is moving towards soundless vehicles"
"That noise production further leads to the vibration in the handle bars"
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 22:24   #266
BHPian

Quote:
It sure looks like an article written by a layman.

That "pickup" part though is true. Only a small minority of the bike owners in India go for tuning. So stock numbers matter.

And even though bullet has improved a lot in the braking department, the whole frame is still not very stable under hard braking. On the whole it doesnt act like a modern bike should in the braking department.

He couldnt be more wrong about the mileage. It is probably the most frugal bike with an engine above 300cc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
"Bullets are Handmade!"
How are other motorcycles made? with Legs?
Royal Enfields are handmade, almost like a Rolls-Royce. It is hand assembled and the lines on the tank are hand painted. Other modern bikes are made in the assembly line, not hand assembled. Thus, the author is right about that.

Last edited by deerhunter : 13th January 2017 at 22:29.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 23:30   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Don't take me as a fan boy of Bullet...but I think the author has not updated his database on Bullets and is still in the well swimming about in the murky water of his hate for Bullets.
Totally agree with you, and was surprised to see that its a recent article

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Royal Enfields are handmade, almost like a Rolls-Royce. It is hand assembled and the lines on the tank are hand painted. Other modern bikes are made in the assembly line, not hand assembled. Thus, the author is right about that.
Not totally, not in the new factory at least

Check this out

Robotic arms for painting too
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 23:38   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Not totally, not in the new factory at least
Robotic arms for painting too
Apologies. My bad for the wrong info.

I have seen this link Handcrafted in Chennai and the video below, sometime back. Thought they were still doing the same, considering how hand-made crazy the west is, and how RE was looking to increase exports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
While ABS does have some value on a motorcycle, stopping faster in shorter distances is not it.
In fact, the stopping distances using ABS are greater than they would be without ABS if the system activates.

The only thing ABS really provides is it prevents locking up the front wheel on slippery road conditions.

While that is a definite goodness, on a smooth, dry road, the front wheel will not lock up significantly without ABS so ABS has no benefit to offer at all.
Yes, in the real world where we ride on dirty, muddy and wet roads ABS is a good thing and with the governmental push for requiring it on motorcycles I predict Royal Enfield will have it in the near future.
Once the wheel locks, it tends to slide quite a bit, significantly increasing the stopping distance. So your point about ABS increasing braking distance, compared to non-ABS, is valid only if you are sure you are not going to lock your wheels, which you can never predict.

Front wheels not locking up significantly in good dry roads is not always true. It does lock if you slam it hard and you will be high-sided too. Further, it is pretty easy to lock your rear wheels, and ABS helps a lot in such situations.

Dirty, muddy roads are actually the ones that do not need ABS. Infact, most riders turn off their ABS while offroading because locking your wheels reduces stopping distance in the off road. I dont think Indian roads are muddy or dirty anymore.

ABS is a must have for all bikes.

Last edited by deerhunter : 13th January 2017 at 23:53.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 23:38   #269
Senior - BHPian

While the author of the anti-Royal Enfield article had a few legitimate points such as the heavy weight of the motorcycle he seems to say by posting a picture of a RE that obviously crashed head on into something that the brakes are poor.

He blames his stance on the lack of ABS.

While ABS does have some value on a motorcycle, stopping faster in shorter distances is not it.
In fact, the stopping distances using ABS are greater than they would be without ABS if the system activates.

The only thing ABS really provides is it prevents locking up the front wheel on slippery road conditions.

While that is a definite goodness, on a smooth, dry road, the front wheel will not lock up significantly without ABS so ABS has no benefit to offer at all.
That is why racing motorcycles do not have it.
Its added weight and complexity are negatives in the racing world.

Yes, in the real world where we ride on dirty, muddy and wet roads ABS is a good thing and with the governmental push for requiring it on motorcycles I predict Royal Enfield will have it in the near future.

When it does, the author will have one less thing to grumble about.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 20:47   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
I don't think Indian roads are muddy or dirty anymore. ABS is a must have for all bikes.
I really got a chuckle out of that one, and invite you, my friend, to our neck of the woods anytime, where muddy / dirty / broken / sand-covered roads can still be found in abundance (alas, within India).

That said, reviewing my history of crashes / drops over the years, I'm tending to think that on bikes at least, ABS would've helped me more often than not. I could care less on the rear wheel, but I've had the front wash out on hard braking a number of times. Or even on light braking on slippery surfaces. Main factor being that the handle was turned slightly.

Understand: ABS is NOT designed to reduce stopping distances. It's designed to make a vehicle more controllable directionally under hard braking, so that you can steer out of trouble. A locked wheel can't be steered, and moreover can tend to skid off to one side or the other. On a bike this is crucial, since once off the centerline of inertia, balance is affected and this tends to pull you down, as well. And nobody likes road rash.

Long story short, I'd like to try out an ABS-equipped bike on our muddy/dirty/dusty/sandy/wet roads up here in H.P., where I suspect even then it would prove a benefit most of the time.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote