Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd April 2017, 10:38   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Why Enfield Bullet?

I've been a TBTS 350 owner since 2012(Mine is one of the first batches of projector type). The reason why I chose it over any other bike in the segment is purely logical. The reasons are listed below.

1. Depreciation:- The bike is IMO, depreciation less. I had a pulsar 150 during 2007-12, it depreciated exponentially. The IDV as per insurance policy was around ₹30K but it could fetch me only a paltry sum of 13K. But in Enfields well maintained examples normally fetch ~ ₹100K for any production year model.

2. Maintenance: Fellow riders may envy but yes, I am spending appx 10₹/Day since last 4 years(after the free services ended). The routine service is being carried out every 11 months(₹1500). Rest ₹2K are spent during the year for any faulty part replacement. The key is to never leave your bike at the disposal of the A.S.S. I switched to local mechanics to avoid arguments with A.S.S. guys who dont allow customers in service bay. FYI I revv my bike close to 4K RPM. My pulsar was with me for appx 90K KMS and during those 5 years I'd spent close to ₹80K only on maintenance(Engine work-3 times). Major replacements done in TBTS 350 are Battery(Exide@2.3K₹), Front Shock oil seal(@₹1.1K), and Chain sprockets sets replaced at 19K KMS(@₹2K). My bike may look dirty to onlookers but its always in geat shape mechanically(Selective laziness). Going strong at ~45K KMs with the factory fitted MRF ZAPPERs(Rear tyre due for replacement this summer).

3. Styling: Some like it, some not. I love it.

4. On road presence:- HUGE. More dominating than the CBR 150s, R15s and Pulsars for sure.

5. Handling: I use the bike for city commuting(Office, supermarket) and the city is Ahmedabad. My wife likes my biceps BTW credits to the hard clutch. Initially it may pain but after 10-15 days you will not notice. I've ridden my fare share of JAPS and other indian models but the TBTS is the winner IMO. You will stop overspeeding after a few heart in mouth incidents. Under hard braking the bike maintain its posture but the rear fish tails. I get fish tailed daily but never had any accident.

So, Yes the Royal Enfield can be a logical choice if you know its limits and a good mechanic(Stay away from A.S.S). Two of my major replacements were caused by some dumbo A.S.S. mechanic , one of whom forget to topup water in the battery for 3 services(the bike ran for a year and half without water and yes I literally had a blast in the bettery.) & Another was kind enough to tighten the chain too much just to increase "Pickup". Sand of Rajasthan eats up the Chain-Sprockets very quickly.

P.S. Dont look for reason to own one, the RE will secure its place once you start living with it. Others may be the girlfriends, but these are the wifes.They tend to be moody sometimes but still they are called 'Ardhangini'.

Last edited by Ry_der : 2nd April 2017 at 10:46. Reason: Typo spotted(Chin-Chain)
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote