Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th June 2017, 13:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: 2017 Kawasaki Z250 launched, gets BS-IV engine

Quote:
Refinement, real life ride-ability, and engine life are way better on the Jap twins.
I would just add personally put at the front or the back of that sentence. Rideability is just individual preference.

Quote:
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy raced a R3 with the new Bajaj KTM 390 and the R3 went way ahead in terms of top speed. Is it really true? Can anyone verify that? Because then it puts serious doubts about the claimed output of the KTMs
R3 and N300 will definitely have better top end speed. Just looking at dyno you can find that to an extent. The claimed output of KTM 390 is 175 tops based on ideal conditions including ideal riders. Local riders like me have seen the 390 hit close to 170 in the newer version and 176 in the older cloth. How it reaches there is a different question. In fact there is no other bike in that segment that launches the bike to 150 like the 390. Post 150 both the parallel twins takes over with a little ease. So there is no surprise if someone said R3 has better top speed. Its a fact. And i am a thorough Yamaha fan, absolutely love N300 and owned the old 390. Hence i classify the buyers as below

- 390 - Lower cost, absolutely max fun per miles- Sacrifice a bit of quality(new 390 looks better on that aspect as well and runs great) and is not refined by any means. The RC390 is more comparable to the R3 and N300 for it gives that better riding dynamics. Its definitely not the most refined of all three.

- R3 - Definitely better quality, its a baby R1 to R6 to R3. Has yamaha written over every inch of that engine and rides like a Yamaha. Feels a bit raw like the yamaha does and its for the Yamaha fans like me. I will anyday pick a Yamaha over any other bike. They make bikes that makes your butt numb.

- N300 or N250 - Refined like any Kawasaki is. Beautiful engine. Exceptional attention to detail on quality. Even the grips feel way better than those other two bikes. The tank is my favorite place. Highway runs, just try resting your chest on a 390 or R3 and then on n300. N300 feels like home for anything you throw at it. Problem is its not quicker than either of the other two and is not nimbler than either of the other two. Its like an exotic at an affordable price for those who will like that hyper expense iphone knowing they dont even need a 1100 but can afford it.

This is my personal take. N250 will be no stranger to anyone knowing n300. It will be as beautiful as the N300 is. So if you belong to the right segment above you know what you will enjoy every day.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 12:03   #17
BHPian

Default Re: 2017 Kawasaki Z250 launched, gets BS-IV engine

2 months late for commenting on this thread but better late than never eh!?

The Z250 has more or less been the only "you blink, you miss" motorcycle from the Kawasaki stable. I've seen a couple of them on the road maybe and that too in a city like Bangalore which is a big bike haven. The reason for this is solely because of the atrocious pricing and the lack of any features vis a vis the competition. Then comes the actual rideability within the city which is more of a task because of the peaky nature of the engine. In the city, one is usually below 6k rpm and on the Z, there is no juice whatsoever. It is neither as agile nor as quick as the Dukes. Heck, was Kawa so lazy to bring in the Z300 rather than the 250? I mean, what does this compete with? The Dominar, which costs less than half the price of the Z has more features, more power and new age technology! Why even bother produce this motorcycle which sells in single/double digit anyway? It just doesn't make sense.

Or does it?

Sure, on paper this might look the worst deal anyone could make until you test ride it and more so after you start living with it. Contrary to my statements in the previous paragraph, I will say the USP of this bike has to be the engine. I'm not sure about the exact timeline but it has been around for the past 20-30 yrs now(?) and has been ridden for over 1,00,000 kms without any major problems. Don't believe me? Proof is available on some of the global Kawasaki forums on the internet.What this means to the Indian customer is that the engine is more likely to outlive the owner himself! Sure, city rideability is bad but on the open road, it is pure bliss. I do not mind calling it a 'GT' engine as it is capable of munching serious miles while maintaining 100-120 kmph comfortably all day. Yes, the lack of fairing will be the only hindrance here. Then there is the quality of parts which is right up there. Being a global product and a CKD helps. I've ridden the N300 and while it is a much better city commuter, I found it to be lacking in character as compared to the 250.
I can vouch for all that I've said because I am a proud owner of its faired cousin, a 4 year old N250.

The Z250 in this day and age is an illogical purchase. Its competition destroys it both on paper and on road. But if someone wants a stress free, tried and tested and a reliable performance motorcycle then I wouldn't think twice before suggesting the Z250. The major fly in the ointment is Kawasaki service.

Would I buy one? YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Sorry to repeat - All one needs is a test ride of this bike to change their opinion. The only thing that lets this bike down is its price.

On paper this looks like such a bad proposition. One test ride changed everything. The bike is super sorted dynamically, sounds A W E S O M E, revs to heavens and is super eager.

I periodically scout for a pre-worshipped one in our own forum classifieds, OLX and Quikr to see if I can get one a good price. All my doubts about this bike vanished after one test ride

----

I am scared of going OT, but it was the same with my Fiesta (2012) Titanium+ Diesel. When it was launched I probably cursed Ford the maximum. (my comments will be around in this forum too) - It was priced 1L over Verna and even Honda City! It was also DOA.

I eventually took one test drive (last one in my list, and I thought it was customary to check all cars before deciding). That test drive sealed it for me

In love with this car after 80K kms - The best car ever. Beats my Merc C250d in handling, ride quality, ICE audio quality (difficult to believe) and I'd trust it over the merc in corners.

I might end up buying this one against all logic. (I am completely redoing my bike garage)
God has been kind on me and has blessed with both these gems in my stable.

2017 Kawasaki Z250 launched, gets BS-IV engine-ff.jpg

Last edited by Porschefire : 9th June 2017 at 12:04.
Porschefire is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote