Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th May 2017, 17:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Urban commuter: TVS Victor or Hero Passion Xpro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
THowever, I've gotten very used to motorcycles, and I find scooters uncomfortable, esp on bad roads...
If your commute involves even 50% of bad roads in the entire commute distance, I would certainly agree with you that motorcycles are better compared to scooters. Scooters will tire you out by the end of the journey compared to motorcycles. And you are correct with regards to having a light weight motorcycle for city commutes. Do check out the Victor as it seems to be perfect for your requirements. Also the Victor is a simple carburetor bike which does not need much maintenance if it is periodically serviced and kept in good nick. So don't go too much by the words of the local mechanics. As long as the mechanic can help fix the bike in case of any emergency issues, you will be fine even if you select the Victor.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 17:49   #17
BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs, shall finalize in the next few days after visiting the showrooms.
Would prefer to trust BHPians opinion over the mechanics.
grazd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 20:30   #18
BHPian

Quick update, have just bought a 2016 victor. So far am happy with it. Thanks once again to all for your advice.
grazd is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 07:24   #19
BHPian

Congratulations! Please post a mini review along with some pictures. Ride safe.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 16:26   #20
BHPian

Thanks to all for providing feedback on my utilitarian question, after all its a commuter bike and not one for an enthusiast. I was hesitant to post a review for it, But inspired by ashwinprakas's thread (Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!), and since a member has requested, I am posting this mini review.

Having ridden the bike for about 300 km over varying roads and terrain in and around the city, here are my observations. (will mostly compare it to the honda shine, since I have driven that extensively too, and it is the benchmark in this segment)

The Bike:
2016 model BS3 TVS victor, run about 5000km.

Engine, Transmission:
110cc, 3 valve unit that has the same dimensions as the one on the star city (maybe it is the same one). As noted by another member, the exhaust has a nice bass note to it. The engine is louder than the one on the Shine, but not in an unpleasant way. It is peppier than I expected. Low end torque is pretty good even though peak torque comes at 6000 rpm. The bike is brisk upto 60 kmph, and fairly refined. Vibrations creep in after that speed. revving beyond 6k rpm results in the same.

The gearbox is a fuss free, all-down, 4-speed unit. Feels solid, and the shifts slot thru well enough. It is slightly notchier than the shine's. But no false neutrals, or other hassles. (A 5th gear would have been great to have though.)
One big unknown for me is the long term reliability of this engine, only time will tell since the bike was launched in 2016.

Suspension/Handling/Ride quality:
The suspension is plush, even on bad roads, Handling is pretty good too. Tubeless Remora tires inspire confidence in corners and the brakes (esp the front petal disk) have a progressive feel and give good feedback. It has a long, broad seat, and good quality foot pegs, so pillion comfort is decent. NVH levels are low, but possibly higher than on the Shine.
(caveat: I tend to drive sedately in the city so all of the above is at typical city traffic speeds, 25-60kmph. But I have found some commuter bikes to be bad even at these low speeds.)

Electricals:
Has a 60w headlight, which gives good throw and intensity (even on low beam). Also has LED pilot lamps and hazards.
The placement of controls and switches is spot on, way better than any other competitor. Fit and finish of panels is great. switches are placed intuitively and feel good to operate,

Overall:
The overall feel is good, the bike is fun to ride. I feel this is an underrated bike. It is better in some important ways (including price) than comparable bikes from Hero and Honda. Of course, long term reliability is as yet unknown.

2. Good brakes, grippy tires.
3. Comfortable suspension, great ergonomics.
4. headlight, and build quality,
5. Some minor nice features - foot pegs, tacho, hazards, tidy cabling.

Dislikes:
1. not sold in large numbers so unsure of parts availability, and long term reliability.
2. No engine kill switch
3. digital speedo, fuel gauge (would have preferred analogue)
4. occasionally downshifts are notchy.
grazd is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 16:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall:
The overall feel is good, the bike is fun to ride. I feel this is an underrated bike. It is better in some important ways (including price) than comparable bikes from Hero and Honda. Of course, long term reliability is as yet unknown
Congratulations and wish you a million miles of safe & happy riding!

What made you go the pre-owned route, and where did you find this bike? Mind sharing the price?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 21:32   #22
BHPian

I hadn't planned it that way. Was browsing online listings when I found a few bikes. I tded them just to see how the victor feels after a few thousand KM's. One of then had run minimally, and seemed like a good deal (got it for 51k )
grazd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 22:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Dislikes:
1. not sold in large numbers so unsure of parts availability, and long term reliability.
Congratulations @grazd for the Victor. I see you are from Pune, so be assured of parts availability as Pune has decent number of TVS service stations which are quick in sourcing parts. Recently we needed some spares for the TVS Centra (production stopped a long back) & the service stations were helpful in sourcing the parts.
Wish you a lot of happy & safe miles on Victor.
Sportztourer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote