Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th June 2017, 18:39   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Wrong side of 30, need a cruiser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Any reason why you think the Z250 would be cumbersome to ride in the city? I understand that many folks in our country are averse to sportbike stance and even the very mildly sporty characteristic of an N250/300, is too much for them to handle on a daily basis, but the Z250 you say could be cumbersome as well? I haven't ridden the Z250 but I have ridden the N250 and I found that quite good to ride in the city. The long wheelbase meant that flicking it through traffic wasn't a very quick experience, I also understand that you need to keep the motor singing a bit to get anywhere but that's part of the thrill and the gearbox was a delight to use and it had absolutely no heating issues and felt quite comfy to ride from the seat to the clutch, I had no issues with it in the city. I am assuming the upright stance of the Z250 should only be better within the city no?
When I draw parallels between the N250 and the Z250, it is only because they share the same engine.
While I love to mention it to people that it has got a superbike character in the sense that it has a peaky power delivery, it is quite a handful to ride in the city due to this nature. There is no real torque build up below 6k rpm and trust me, twisting the throttle every time you want to move ahead in choc-a-bloc traffic is not everyone's cup of tea. I used to like it 2-3 years back, not so much now and that's why my city commute has reduced quite a bit.
Also, as you've rightly mentioned, the long wheelbase makes it hard to manoeuvre and the N250 definitely heats up quite a bit in traffic. The riding position is not extreme (surprisingly, I found CBR250's riding position more committed than the N250) at all and the Z250's upright stance is definitely better on longer journeys with the lack of fairing being the only deterrent.
As a highway tourer though, there are few bikes that can match its comfort level, stability and poise. I call the N250 as a 'GT' bike.

Last edited by Porschefire : 13th June 2017 at 18:42.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 21:16   #32
BHPian

If you're unsure about this, you should maybe just get an FZ25 to get you back into biking and get a bigger motorbike after you have started enjoying riding again. It's a fantastic machine and will do just fine for daily commutes and some weekend rides given that you don't want to set the roads on fire. It might seem a little underpowered on paper, but if you look at reports from our members, it's a hoot to ride around if you're not a speed fanatic. Plus, it has ABS too and that's definitely a bonus in my books. I am urging my father to get this one soon, and he just
stepped on the wrong side of 50.

Also, have a look at the Duke 250. From what I've heard, it's not as mad as the 390 and is much more relaxed at higher speeds than the 200.

Last of all, do test ride all of the motorbikes at least once before you take your decision. Happy shopping and riding!

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 13th June 2017 at 21:17.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 23:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
....Plus, it has ABS too ......
Are you sure? The Yamaha India website doesn't mention that the FZ25 carries ABS. Attaching a screenshot of the same for ready perusal.
Attached Thumbnails
Wrong side of 30, need a cruiser!-screen-shot-20170613-11.05.21-pm.png  

dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 11:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
As a highway tourer though, there are few bikes that can match its comfort level, stability and poise. I call the N250 as a 'GT' bike.
What GT? Which GT? The same GT that was beating your Black N250 Black-and-Blue while going on every speed breaker on our rides?? Ahh those races!!!
julyone_modi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 11:22   #35
BHPian

kjayant, my different take on your dilemma:
Get a RE, not because its a fantastic machine, but RE has by-far the most developed community around bikes currently. There are manufacturer supported community events, dealer driven community events and off course like minded bulletiers ready to take you in.

Think on that lines too, unless you like to do on solo expeditions!
julyone_modi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 11:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyone_modi View Post
Get a RE, not because its a fantastic machine, but RE has by-far the most developed community around bikes currently. There are manufacturer supported community events, dealer driven community events and off course like minded bulletiers ready to take you in.

Think on that lines too, unless you like to do on solo expeditions!
Funny, the only event I heard about is biker mania which happens in Goa. And the lots of rides that happen in the himalayas or other far off places. Haven't got any wind of anything else from dealer or from RE about rides happening within city or nearby.
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 11:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Funny, the only event I heard about is biker mania which happens in Goa. And the lots of rides that happen in the himalayas or other far off places. Haven't got any wind of anything else from dealer or from RE about rides happening within city or nearby.
There is Rider mania, there is himalayan rides, now there is a ride organised specially for Himalayan. Then there was "One Ride 2017" driven by RE, but organised by different riding clubs affiliated to RE.
Also, depending on how active the dealer is, and how active you are, there are dealer specific rides. My dealer in Mumbai, Ishana wheels is quiet active in organizing rides, at-least once a month. Fun fact: I did not buy my GT from him, I just get it serviced. Yet they are more than eager to let me join the rides.
julyone_modi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 12:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post

RE's like most bikes sold in India are essentially "Commuters".. the Touring and Lifestyle part is the image created to assist the sales.

Increase the price of the bikes above the "Maruti Alto".. it'll be interesting to see how many bikes are then bought by the "enthusiasts"

Last edited by payeng : 14th June 2017 at 13:03.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 13:44   #39
BHPian

Being on the wrong side of 30s myself, i can relate to your expectations. 5 months back i was in the market for a new bike as a replacement for my CI Electra, i extensively test drove the Mojo, Dominar and FZ25 but brought RE Himalayan.

But i will still say Dominar is one all round machine and most bang for the buck, safety of ABS, wonderful acceleration and slipper clutch are irresistible. Only thing that pushed me towards Himalayan was my location (Jammu, in the foothills of Himalayas), bad roads in our state and Vibrations of Dominar; yes,,, would you believe it? Himalayan is less Viby then Dominar. And finally, because of my slip Disc problem i wanted something comfortable, and believe me, Himalayan is Sofa on two wheels.

Warning in advance , if you plan to go for Himalayan, this bike has some issues, which you might face during the ownership. I have got my ignition switch changed, front steering bearing changed, clutch assembly changed, during my 4 months and 5000 kms ownership. But coming from a RE Electra, i am used to this, i dont get frustrated over it and just enjoy the experience of driving this amazing machine.
amit_snk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 21:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_snk View Post
Being on the wrong side of 30s myself, i can relate to your expectations. 5 months back i was in the market for a new bike as a replacement for my CI Electra, i extensively test drove the Mojo, Dominar and FZ25 but brought RE Himalayan.
Thanks Amit. Did some googling. I think Himalayan ABS is round the corner. It was expected in May 2017, June already. I think with Dominor eating from their pie. Once can expected the ABS variant sooner than later. For now, Himalayan gets nod in to the test ride list

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyone_modi View Post
I get your perspective but planning has never been my strong forte. Most of my rides/drives have mostly been solo and impulsive with little planning. 'Gear and disappear'. But having a community around definitely helps.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th June 2017 at 01:34. Reason: Posts merged & edited for size. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
kjayant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 19:58   #41
BHPian

I just came across some old rumours (circa March/April) of a Dominar variant ("scrambler style", not sure what it is) that could be launched in a couple of months.

Has there been any update on that front? That could be an excellent buy if it fixes NVH issues that are being reported with the Dominar.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 11:17   #42

Update: Have begun the process of face-to-face with the shortlists.

Himalayan was the first. Real comfy bike. I think, we will team up well. The issue is they don't have any Himalayans to sell as of now. They are coming up with Non-Carburetted BS4 engines in wk2 of July. The dealership was still not sure of these new boys being ABS equipped. He suggested that the new boys will not be up for sale in July, they are only for feedback and testing by the customer. I am not sure what does RE really mean by that because the export version of Himalayan already has non carburetted engine and ABS. I would see this a 'running change'. Anyway so that was it at RE. Have checked out Classic 350 and 500 a million times earlier so didn't bother checking.

Next one up was Duke. Honestly it was too quirky and too sporty for me. I don't think I will pursue it any more. The service also looked part informed and cold. The consultant was more like 'you kow-tow because you are the needy. I don't care 2 hoots'.

Dominoes, Mono, Ninja scheduled in coming weeks.

Thankful to the guys for all the invaluable inputs. I look forward to more, keep them pouring.

Have a good match today.
kjayant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 13:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post

Dominoes, Mono, Ninja scheduled in coming weeks.
You can order Dominoes during the match and try stereo rather than mono. On other note, I am subscribed to this thread as I am upgrading from a P220 and in a similar dilemma as you are. Would like to see your take on the motorcycles you test ride.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 13:30   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
You can order Dominoes during the match and try stereo rather than mono. On other note, I am subscribed to this thread as I am upgrading from a P220 and in a similar dilemma as you are. Would like to see your take on the motorcycles you test ride.
Apologies for the typo. I meant Dominor and Mojo.
kjayant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 15:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post
Apologies for the typo. I meant Dominor and Mojo.
Please ride a used Inazuma if you find the time to do so. I would love to hear your opinion on it
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote