Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th November 2006, 01:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb

hi every1

this may sound funny, but i am serious!!!

i have a '93 hh cd 100ss. with 47,000 km on the odo. top speed of 70 kmph max. and takes around 20 sec.s (some times more than that) to accelrate to 60 kmph. but has a good fuel efficiency of 60kmpl & 70kmpl in city and highway repectively.

I want to increase the pickup to around 15 sec.s to 60kmph. I am willing to cut down around 5 kmpl on the fuel efficiency charts.
can any one suggest me the modifications i need to be done to my bike; also advice me low cost modifications or upgrades.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 12:21   #2
BHPian

Default richer fuel mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2
hi every1

this may sound funny, but i am serious!!!

i have a '93 hh cd 100ss. with 47,000 km on the odo. top speed of 70 kmph max. and takes around 20 sec.s (some times more than that) to accelrate to 60 kmph. but has a good fuel efficiency of 60kmpl & 70kmpl in city and highway repectively.

I want to increase the pickup to around 15 sec.s to 60kmph. I am willing to cut down around 5 kmpl on the fuel efficiency charts.
can any one suggest me the modifications i need to be done to my bike; also advice me low cost modifications or upgrades.
On some motorcycles carburettor tuning to increase fuel intake can help.

I used to do it in Yezdi. I am not an expert to discuss it in detail. But the feel definitely changed. It seemed to work only to some extent. I saw the fuel efficiency dropping to 28 KMPL from 35 with a good amount of increased pickup feel.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 12:52   #3
BHPian

Default sprokets!

one word......sprokets.
i dont know the exact teeth, mabey somebody else will know.
you can try experimenting with your front and rear sproket for the perfect trade-off between acceleration and top-speed.

goodluck
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 13:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

save the little money you might spend on doing up the cd 100 and spend that on an old yamaha for 10k. you'll surely reduce that 20 sec to 60 kmph by a seriosu chunk
And if you re spending a lot less than 10 k, then how about swicthing from the cd 100 to a used splendour, i'm sure you can manage the 15 secs atleast then.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 13:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass
On some motorcycles carburettor tuning to increase fuel intake can help.

I used to do it in Yezdi. I am not an expert to discuss it in detail. But the feel definitely changed. It seemed to work only to some extent. I saw the fuel efficiency dropping to 28 KMPL from 35 with a good amount of increased pickup feel.
thank you srinivas,
i shall try your suggestion. i shall post the result as well here.
lets hope this trick works out.
Old 7th November 2006, 13:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe
one word......sprokets.
i dont know the exact teeth, mabey somebody else will know.
you can try experimenting with your front and rear sproket for the perfect trade-off between acceleration and top-speed.

goodluck
yes, i heard about the sprocket funda, but in most of the postings here in the forum dont encourage changing stock sprocket.
Old 7th November 2006, 13:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
save the little money you might spend on doing up the cd 100 and spend that on an old yamaha for 10k. you'll surely reduce that 20 sec to 60 kmph by a seriosu chunk
And if you re spending a lot less than 10 k, then how about swicthing from the cd 100 to a used splendour, i'm sure you can manage the 15 secs atleast then.

manson.
Initially thought of selling my bike and go for a yamaha rx100, but i was adviced by my frinds that there are no good rx100 worth buying. the yam may not pass the Pollution Under Check (PUC); there will be maintanance problems; and also the used yams would be horrible in fuel efficiency considering the way these yams are maintained.
Also there is a problem in the home; having a two stroker will definitely raise a few eye-brows. so i want keep the same bike and make mods.
And i am planning for to go to USA for a MS course in automobile engg. in 2007. so new bike also ruled-out. ( though i will buy the ninja 250 in US)

how about the local made air filters like proton,porsche,hp etc; i heard they are low cost. Are they available in hyderabad.
Please comment.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 7th November 2006 at 13:41.
Old 7th November 2006, 14:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

i was suggesting to buy a used splendour, not a new one. havent ever ridden a cd 100, but faint memories on a friend's splendour make me feel that it gets to 60 kmph surely faster than the 20 sec mark you've posted up.

aftermarket filters for bikes i do not know much about, except for the fact they do not give 25% gains or cars or bikes (20 sec to 15 sec drop, hence 25%), you could check with mail4ajo on the forrum, he seems to be really satisfied with some filter he's hooked onto his bike.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 21:10   #9
BHPian

a cd100... oh yeah

just joking dude...

wht i can suggest you is...

you can get hp filters for bout 600 to 800rs ...

and since u aint bothered bout top speed , lose a teeth in the front sprocket... top speed does drop. though.

Tune ur carb.. jeting it up one the air filter is fitted.

You also K&N air filter, HP filter very easily in Hyd. UniFilter and Proton are not readily aviable here. But my advice try NOT spending too much caz it really not worth doing much stuff for cd100.

Last edited by nosfreak : 7th November 2006 at 21:12.
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 22:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak
a cd100... oh yeah

just joking dude...

wht i can suggest you is...

you can get hp filters for bout 600 to 800rs ...

and since u aint bothered bout top speed , lose a teeth in the front sprocket... top speed does drop. though.

Tune ur carb.. jeting it up one the air filter is fitted.

You also K&N air filter, HP filter very easily in Hyd. UniFilter and Proton are not readily aviable here. But my advice try NOT spending too much caz it really not worth doing much stuff for cd100.
yes nosfreak, you are right. Its not worth spending much on the cd100. Infact i am going to spend around 1000/- on it. So, K&N ruled out, may be HP.

BTW, i once happen to have seen a setup of K&N having a Ram-Jet sought of thing, anyone has any idea about this type of K&N air filter. How about the HP do they have a similar setup. (I think the Ram-Jet type increases the mass of air taken into the filter bcause of its nozzle shape)
Old 8th November 2006, 00:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2
yes nosfreak, you are right. Its not worth spending much on the cd100. Infact i am going to spend around 1000/- on it. So, K&N ruled out, may be HP.

BTW, i once happen to have seen a setup of K&N having a Ram-Jet sought of thing, anyone has any idea about this type of K&N air filter. How about the HP do they have a similar setup. (I think the Ram-Jet type increases the mass of air taken into the filter bcause of its nozzle shape)
Generally the all time best filter r uni filters.. quiet hard to get them but very good and not only that you dont have to jet ur bike.. once uni is fitted. If u need the hp filter i can show the place where they are readily avaiable.
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 02:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak
Generally the all time best filter r uni filters.. quiet hard to get them but very good and not only that you dont have to jet ur bike.. once uni is fitted. If u need the hp filter i can show the place where they are readily avaiable.
no need to jet for uni filters???
then what about the air-fuel ratio, it would become a lean mixture, then how can it increase the output; i suppose normally up-jetting is done so as to maintain the air-fuel ratio, as more air is drawn with a good filter than a stock air filter.
Old 8th November 2006, 10:13   #13
BHPian

Did you test your engine's compression? (Should be possible at Hero Honda workshops). You might have leakage issues with your piston rings or valves.

I've been on a CD100ss (as a pillion) and reaching speedo indicated 80 Kmph wasn't very difficult.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 18:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Get the carb tuned, you can lose one teeth for the front sporcket and change the jet go for bigger jet, check your clutch plate, check your chain settings.. Best of Luck
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 20:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

my bike gives me pretty good overall fuel economy 65 kmpl. do u think still there are compression leakages??
my bike has done 47,000 km (in 13 yrs) on the odo? is it the time to replace the piston rings? i service my regularly.