Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th June 2017, 11:30   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Selling my Enfield Classic 500 - What next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
After serving me well for about 5 years, I am selling my RE CL500. Now the question is what should I buy next?
Sadly there is no proper next bike after the C500 in India. HD Street is one options but cost/service issues do not make it a no-brainier.
I myself moved from the C500 to D390 after 3 years of usage. My daily commute is also 30km with more than half on 6 lane highway. And for this scenario, the D390 is a complete blast to ride.

However the D390 is not really a tourer, even for short rides. I have found it good for max of 100-120km a day (and my wife is unhappy with more than 50km).

The Himalayan would have been perfect but the power is underwhelming especially after the C500 - would have been ok if you were coming from 150-200 commuters.
So I would recommend the Dominar. Its about 75% the fun of D390 but with much better touring capabilities. The new 390 is also supposed to be better at touring but I have not personally ridden it yet.

Mojo would have been strong contender but without ABS I cannot suggest it.

Quote:
As I mentioned somewhere else, can't find a pre-owned 390 in my city. And if there was no news of the 390 ADV, I would've bought the 2017 Duke 390 in a heartbeat.
Really I would not wait for the ADV. There have been rumors since 2014 but with nothing to show for it apart from a few "spy shots".

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th June 2017 at 14:10.
timuseravan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 13:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd have thought that a Harley-Davidson would be the spiritual upgrade to an Enfield 500. Wouldn't the Street 750 make sense? Am already seeing some at asking prices of 3 lakhs in the used market.

Sorry if this isn't what you are looking for, but the pre-worshipped fan in me couldn't resist from replying.
This actually does makes a lot of sense.

- Upright seating (more relaxed as I like it),
- better power than the CL 500,
- can be a good commuter and a great tourer too,
- more smooth than the CL 500,
- more refined than the CL 500,
- more mature and subtle than the Duke's / FZ yet having all that power under you,
- great deals available from 3/4L range,
- as per the reviews on our forum these bikes are robust and built to last long,

Hence a pre-owned bike wouldn't have been thrashed like majority of Duke 390 owners would have to feel the rush of that raw power.

The only 2 downsides I can feel are No ABS on pre 2017 bikes and the cost to maintain.

In the same context a Used Ninja 600 could also be considered.

Hope this helps. Cheers !
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 13:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd have thought that a Harley-Davidson would be the spiritual upgrade to an Enfield 500. Wouldn't the Street 750 make sense? Am already seeing some at asking prices of 3 lakhs in the used market.
I have to say this is the best affordable HD. As much as people buy Bullet these days, the reason to buy a HD is simply the HD factor only. There are too many better bikes that are beyond smug value. And there are absolutely not enough reasons to not consider say a 390, R3 or even the N300 over the HD in today's context.

And maintenance on a HD is as good as owning a Phaeton. White elephant with an appetite for kashmir mushrooms(i saw in a restaurant in Chennai where they had this dish costing 3500 rupees while avg cost of others were like 500-550, so i assume they are some costly items to procure).

The problem with owning a HD is sometimes it pushes you to even fix a puncture at HD service centre for 1000 rupees. How do i know, a guy at my work place was talking about his cost of maintenance and said he fixed his puncture for 1000 rupees. I laughed like Jim Carrye in Ace Ventura. But the point is your maintenance life style changes and you are invariably forcing yourself to stay with their service center and thereby making yourself spending heavily on spares, beauty products and actual service.

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2017 at 10:41. Reason: typo
VW2010 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 14:59   #19
BHPian

I am in a very similar spot (except that this is going to be my first bike, and not an upgrade). I also intend to do little very city driving and use it mostly for weekend getaways and the like. With so many people saying that pre-2017 D390s do not make for a great tourer, I'm personally inclined towards the Dominar.

I am, however, concerned about the quality of after-sales service, since Bajaj dealers are probably used to huge volumes of mostly commuter bikes.
anku94 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 15:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
I am, however, concerned about the quality of after-sales service, since Bajaj dealers are probably used to huge volumes of mostly commuter bikes.
In my experience service quality is no great shakes when it comes to 2 wheelers the attitude of the authorized service center is very indifferent. They have several bikes coming in and all they do is your regular oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plug and lubrication routine. Perhaps it is the sheer number of bikes that come in each day, but I have noticed that service quality is drastically lower with 2 wheelers in comparison to cars at authorized service centers. Be it a Bajaj, KTM, Honda, Yamaha or Royal Enfield (The only manufacturers I am well versed with in terms of personal experience with friend's 2 wheelers and my own). I have heard however that the Mahindra guys do a good job keeping Mojo customers happy. That said all in all if you need to have anything apart from the routine stuff done to your bike, I suggest finding a good independent garage to service it regardless of make model and dealership network.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 19:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The CBR250 is definitely a good bike but you need to ride it to see if you like it. There are a lot of folks who think the CBR250 is too 'sporty' depends on how much you value an upright riding stance. ....
I can live with a slightly forward stance. Since major commuting would be in the city and long ride are going to be less than 300 kms.

Quote:
If you are open to the idea of used motorcycles, why not seriously spend some time looking for an Inazuma?
Inazuma is as rare as driving/riding sense in India. I really don't want to exert that much time and effort looking for one, and then have to deal with parts availability and service in my city.

My main criteria is just a hassle free bike that gets the job done and puts a smile on my face till the KTM 390 ADV gets launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd have thought that a Harley-Davidson would be the spiritual upgrade to an Enfield 500. Wouldn't the Street 750 make sense?
Street 750 makes perfect sense for people looking for an upgrade from the CL500, but I am not the average Enfield guy. When I bought the Classic, it was a choice between that and the CBR250. Finalized the CBR, but the sales guy in the only Honda dealership of my town said, "Absolutely no test rides. You wanna buy it, then book it, otherwise choose something else." So that's what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Sadly there is no proper next bike after the C500 in India. HD Street is one options but cost/service issues do not make it a no-brainier.
Exactly

Quote:
The Himalayan would have been perfect but the power is underwhelming especially after the C500 - would have been ok if you were coming from 150-200 commuters.
Well, I wouldn't call it underwhelming, but it isn't stellar either. Though the suspension setup is a dream.

Quote:
So I would recommend the Dominar. Its about 75% the fun of D390 but with much better touring capabilities.
Exactly my thoughts. But dealer experience has been BAD, so I am not sure if I want to give my hard-earned money to Bajaj. Even sent an email to the customer service requesting them to arrange longer test rides for the Dominar, but no response even after 3 days. So this obviously shatters all confidence.

Quote:
Mojo would have been strong contender but without ABS I cannot suggest it.
That's why it's definitely out of my list.

Quote:
Really I would not wait for the ADV. There have been rumors since 2014 but with nothing to show for it apart from a few "spy shots".
But didn't the CEO make a statement to expect the 390 ADV in 2018?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
This actually does makes a lot of sense.
Makes perfect sense for the 'Cruiser' lot. But I am not one of them

Quote:
In the same context a Used Ninja 600 could also be considered.
A good friend of mine is selling his N650. I've ridden it extensively and I love it. But I don't think I could and would want to commute on it everyday. And everything boils down to the extremely eye-catching bike, pathetic A.S.S and parts availability for N650 in Chandigarh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
I am in a very similar spot (except that this is going to be my first bike, and not an upgrade). I also intend to do little very city driving and use it mostly for weekend getaways and the like. With so many people saying that pre-2017 D390s do not make for a great tourer, I'm personally inclined towards the Dominar.

Exactly! There is only 1 Bajaj dealer in Chandigarh. And this is precisely why the bike is becoming sort of a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
In my experience service quality is no great shakes when it comes to 2 wheelers the attitude of the authorized service center is very indifferent
Amen to that. Unless you have a personal rapport with the guys, it's difficult to keep your bike really well maintained. And this why the Dominar has me confused. The only Bajaj service centre in my city is going to see a lot of bikes everyday, so there isn't any guarantee of good enough service.
------------------------------

What would be a fair price for a used CBR250?

Guy in my city is selling a 2014 Standard CBR250 (5000kms) for 1.15 lakh. I got excited, but then I thought I can put in about 15k more and buy a new FZ250.
cataclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 10:11   #22
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I am almost on the same boat as you. My 2012 Classic 500 Desert Storm has now done 47600 kms. I have got a new set of tyres, a new battery, a new chain sprocket set recently. I need to get front disc pad replaced though. I am really looking forward to my journey to the North-East later this year on my C5.

However, I have been toying up with the idea of getting a faster and a reliable tourer for quite sometime now. My Desert Storm has taken me to Spiti, Sangla Valley, Rajasthan, Goa, Konkan coast, Odisha, North Sikkim, Bhutan, jungles of Jharkhand & Bengal. I expect the same kind of touring ability with my next motorcycle. I am absolutely clueless now, as I want an equally abuse-friendly motorcycle in a 2-3 lakh budget, which would be more comfortable and reliable than the RE for such journeys.

The 2017 Duke 390 and the Dominar 400 are the only options in my budget which have ABS as a standard feature. I haven't been able to draw a conclusion yet.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 18:20   #23
BHPian

Any idea how the Akula will change the equation?

It looks powerful enough from the rumoured specs, but the stance seems a bit too sporty for long drives (+ that puny pillion seat). Would it be worthwhile to wait for it to be launched?
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 11:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post

The 2017 Duke 390 and the Dominar 400 are the only options in my budget which have ABS as a standard feature. I haven't been able to draw a conclusion yet.
Same confusion. More inclined towards Duke for its looks and road presence.

Are there any touring luggage options for Duke. Viaterra has Velox saddle bags designed exclusively for Duke (older one though). How about fixing Givi boxes or similar kind of luggage boxes? Has anyone done it?

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 5th July 2017 at 11:10.
Dodge_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 13:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Same confusion. More inclined towards Duke for its looks and road presence.
Same Confusion, Same thought for Duke 390. The only thing keeping me away from this bike is the footrest position. For long distances that might not be very comfortable. I have seen many youngsters do it, but after the relaxed posture of the C5, its a difficult task to keep your feet so much behind. Otherwise this bike is the most VFM all rounder.

Fitting a top box like GIVI shouldn't be difficult I saw a lot of pics on google search for the same.

Last edited by The Great : 5th July 2017 at 13:07.
The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 14:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The only thing keeping me away from this bike is the footrest position. For long distances that might not be very comfortable. I have seen many youngsters do it, but after the relaxed posture of the C5, its a difficult task to keep your feet so much behind.
Actually, I ride the Thunderbird 500 and find it difficult to stand when going over rough roads. Also find my back curving (concave or convex) a lot of the times. Bumps get transferred to my back (even though suspension is quite good on my bike).

On a test ride of the Duke, I found the seating position comfortable and liberating as I could just glide over the potholes standing and crouching.

Also, there are some really well-machined adjustable footrests available on ebay for the duke that take the footpeg forward by a couple of inches. Big difference that would make.
farhadtarapore is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 15:52   #27
BHPian

I am in the same boat, I ride a TB 350. I took multiple test rides of Duke 390. In the first ride itself I loved the bike but the engine heat nearly fried me.

Took 3 more after that thinking ill be used to the heat but going home with sweaty legs and groin is just not my cup of tea in already hot city like Mumbai.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 22:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

After serving me well for about 5 years, I am selling my RE CL500. Now the question is what should I buy next?

So, I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks!
If I remember correctly you used to own an Impulse too or maybe you were planning to buy as you were bored with the C5 about 2/3 years back.

This makes me think that you need something light, nimble, something fun, and easy on pocket - read "all rounder".

If the current lot doesn't impress you, then wait for the BMW 310 and meanwhile get another test-ride of the Duke 390, I strongly suggest you these 2 bikes with your criteria (mainly because we have this common dilemma)

The new 390 has a host of tech and superb features for the price and the BMW is going to be loaded with such things too.

Anything else - would make you feel downgrading from the C5's overall feel.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 09:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
If I remember correctly you used to own an Impulse too or maybe you were planning to buy as you were bored with the C5 about 2/3 years back.

This makes me think that you need something light, nimble, something fun, and easy on pocket - read "all rounder".
I was planning to buy an Impulse, but couldn't find one. And yes, you've summed it up - an "all rounder" is what I am looking for.

Quote:
If the current lot doesn't impress you, then wait for the BMW 310 and meanwhile get another test-ride of the Duke 390, I strongly suggest you these 2 bikes with your criteria (mainly because we have this common dilemma)

The new 390 has a host of tech and superb features for the price and the BMW is going to be loaded with such things too.

Anything else - would make you feel downgrading from the C5's overall feel.
Had there been no announcement for the 390 Adventure, I would have picked up the Duke 390 in a heartbeat. But now, I don't want to spend all that money on a Duke 390 and then buy a 390 Adventure an year or two later, whenever it comes out. Hence the confusion.

Anyhoo, I have decided not to sell my CL500. I am going to wait for a bit more time and save some money as well. Maybe I'll buy the Duke 390
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 17:49   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

- Does it make sense to buy a used CBR 250?

- What about service and parts? Hasn't the bike been discontinued?
If you ask me, it doesnt make sense at all. I have bought an used cbr250r and sold it for an used KTM duke 390 ABS.
The thing is, price difference in used market between both bikes is hardly 10-15k. I mean you might buy a 2013 Duke 390 for 1 lakh, and a 2013 CBR 250R ABS will cost you 90-95k.

CBR250R is not much of an upgrade to your CL500. Given that you ride on 4 laned highways, KTM Duke 390 makes much sense. I dont think ADV version will be launched soon. Get an used KTM Duke 390, thrash the hell out of it, and upgrade to a 650 next year.

IMO, Dominar 400 is not exciting, and FZ25 is the most boring of the lot.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th July 2017 at 17:53.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote