Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd July 2017, 09:07   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Is the new KTM duke a good tourer? I booked a RE Himalayan back in March.Given the absolute lack of info from the manufacturer about when the new batches of the Himalayan will be delivered, I am considering other options. How does the KTM compare to the Himalayan in terms of ride quality? I've never been on one.I loved how comfortable the Himalayan is. I've read a lot about KTMs being quite stiff and riders ending up with sore Bums after long trips.Only that is holding me back from cancelling my Himalayan booking and going for the gorgeous KTM.
I test rode the Himalayan many times, and I can tell you, in my opinion, after riding the Duke, I never thought twice and cancelled my Himalayan booking. I ended up going for an older Duke, but the notion of getting a Himalayan never crossed my mind again.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Is the new KTM duke a good tourer? I booked a RE Himalayan back in March.Given the absolute lack of info from the manufacturer about when the new batches of the Himalayan will be delivered, I am considering other options. How does the KTM compare to the Himalayan in terms of ride quality? I've never been on one.I loved how comfortable the Himalayan is. I've read a lot about KTMs being quite stiff and riders ending up with sore Bums after long trips.Only that is holding me back from cancelling my Himalayan booking and going for the gorgeous KTM.
People who want a bike and want to tour get the bike they want and tour on it! E.g. i know someone who owns the RC390 and frequently goes on rides with luggage (little!) strapped on. Trust me, owning a bike that you want is more important than a lot of numbers, feedback, review etc. Seeing it in your parking everyday should make you want to ride it.

But while that is the most important part, its not everything so to objectively answer your question - to be a good tourer, the bike needs to check a few boxes from an ergonomics stand point:
1. Relaxed & upright riding position (spine & wrist friendly)
2. Foot peg position that doesnt cramp your legs (lets you stand up occasionally at least and goes hand in hand with Pt.1)
3. Seat that is comfy yet firm & lets you slide around (important unless you want to get off the bike every 45-60mins to restart blood circulation)
4. Near zero or controlled vibes between 80-100kmph
5. Wind protection (unless you are going to brave it all on a 300km ride)
6. Mount points / space to strap up decent amount of luggage (unless you want to carry it all on your shoulders)

These are strictly from an ergonomics / rider comfort stand point and there are tons more e.g. fuel tank capacity, whether the head light is fixed or handle bar mounted for night visibility etc for what you might define as touring. And some of the above points can be altered on a bike using aftermarket accessories without spending a bomb while some come with the DNA of the bike.

The KTM is really isn't designed to tick all the touring boxes. The Himalayan was supposed to but failed.

But like i said, if you think the bike will make you want to ride everyday, ticks most of the boxes and you can ignore its short comings, by all means get the one that appeals to your heart! Getting a bike that is wow but restricts you from riding how you want it will only result in regret and tons of lost happiness.

-----------------------------

And am really glad to see an owners feedback at this level of detail! Thank you for sharing it!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 2nd July 2017 at 11:03.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
But while that is the most important part, its not everything so to objectively answer your question - to be a good tourer, the bike needs to check a few boxes from an ergonomics stand point:
1. Relaxed & upright riding position (spine & wrist friendly)
2. Foot peg position that doesnt cramp your legs (lets you stand up occasionally at least and goes hand in hand with Pt.1)
3. Seat that is comfy yet firm & lets you slide around (important unless you want to get off the bike every 45-60mins to restart blood circulation)
4. Near zero or controlled vibes between 80-100kmph
5. Wind protection (unless you are going to brave it all on a 300km ride)
6. Mount points / space to strap up decent amount of luggage (unless you want to carry it all on your shoulders)
The Duke is not designed to be an out and out tourer. For instance the suspension is more biased towards handling than providing comfort. However, it is fairly good as a tourer.

1. The Duke is fairly upright. I do not see this as being a dealbreaker.
2. The Duke has fairly rear set footpegs. But on the brighter side, the newer version has ergonomics that does not lock the rider in place and hence the rider can move around in the seat while riding on the highways.
3. The Duke seat gets 10/10 from me.
4. The Duke wins here. Another thing is that more the power reserve that is available at cruising speed, more stress free the ride feels. The Duke wins here as well.
5. The new Duke is better than the older one. Also, aftermarket screens should be coming along shortly.
6. Some ingenuity works wonders here.

Quote:
And am really glad to see an owners feedback at this level of detail! Thank you for sharing it!
Thanks.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:41   #19
BHPian

Wow! What a nice comprehensive review, thanks abhijeet080808!

I own a 2016 Duke 390 and had a few questions & observations:

1. The compression ratio has been up'ed to 12.9:1 from 12.5:1 and you said the bike runs cooler. Does this mean the radiator or the fan is bigger now?
2. How's the pillion comfort? Improved over the previous version?
3. Oil capacity has gone up to 1.8 L now, this means buyers would have to carry the other half filled can home after service?! Current cans at SVC hold 1.6L
4. The radiator is now prone to flying debris, last time I visited the SVC there was a new 390 lying there with a hole in the fin, can you fit the shroud from the old duke? possible?
5. What's the use of removing both seats instead of one? Any additional storage space under the seats? Can you please post a picture of this if possible?
6. Do the service intervals remain the same? How do you see the coolant level in the reservoir in the new version?
7. Does the engine on the new version feel stressed at 120 ish ?

Thanks in advance & wish you lots of happy miles on the Duke!

Last edited by Siddy : 3rd July 2017 at 10:42.
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 18:31   #20
BHPian

This new KTM looks like it can be modded extensively. At that price point it looks like something that one can buy and experiment with. The bolt-on rear frame, replaced with a Continental GT frame and a straight Scrambler seat (much lower in height), the tank replaced by an RD 350 one, an RD handlebar, a backrest and luggage rack, and you have a scrambler/tourer for two-up riding. I have no clue about the front suspension though. It will be pretty weird looking, but probably worth the effort. It will be lower than the following bike:

http://themotolady.com/ktm-duke-390-scrambler/

Last edited by Oreen : 3rd July 2017 at 18:36. Reason: English error
Oreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 20:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Wow! What a nice comprehensive review, thanks abhijeet080808!

I own a 2016 Duke 390 and had a few questions & observations:

1. The compression ratio has been up'ed to 12.9:1 from 12.5:1 and you said the bike runs cooler. Does this mean the radiator or the fan is bigger now?
The comparison is more with the 2013 version. It came without a radiator fan shroud and used to throw all the heat onto the rider's legs. The new one has the whole radiator fan covered with a shroud and the hot air is directed towards the bottom. The radiator itself seems to have remained unchanged.

Quote:
2. How's the pillion comfort? Improved over the previous version?
I have not ridden much as a pillion. It has become more comfortable I believe.

Quote:
3. Oil capacity has gone up to 1.8 L now, this means buyers would have to carry the other half filled can home after service?! Current cans at SVC hold 1.6L
It's better to buy 2x 1 liter cans now.

Quote:
4. The radiator is now prone to flying debris, last time I visited the SVC there was a new 390 lying there with a hole in the fin, can you fit the shroud from the old duke? possible?
I am not sure. Because the side plastic panels on the radiator (the one that has the KTM logo in white) is also now a part of the shroud. So, the old shroud will mean the older side covers too. Not sure if it would fit.

Quote:
5. What's the use of removing both seats instead of one? Any additional storage space under the seats? Can you please post a picture of this if possible?
The box just after the tank is the air filter. It is now reachable without removing the tank.

Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-img_20170703_181806.jpg

Quote:
6. Do the service intervals remain the same? How do you see the coolant level in the reservoir in the new version?
Yes its same 7500 kms.

We have a small peep hole!

Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-img_20170703_181716.jpg

Quote:
7. Does the engine on the new version feel stressed at 120 ish ?
Not at all.

Quote:
Thanks in advance & wish you lots of happy miles on the Duke!
Thanks.

Last edited by abhijeet080808 : 3rd July 2017 at 20:49.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 16:02   #22
BHPian

Congrats on your new bike and very comprehensive review.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 10:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new bike and a very good review.

I am 6' 2" tall and the new Duke seems more suitable for me. I found the old Duke 390 cramped, especially my legs were not fitting into the tank groove. The power delivery seems more refined and suitable for bumper to bumper traffic.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 10:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
This new KTM looks like it can be modded extensively. At that price point it looks like something that one can buy and experiment with. The bolt-on rear frame, replaced with a Continental GT frame and a straight Scrambler seat (much lower in height), the tank replaced by an RD 350 one, an RD handlebar, a backrest and luggage rack, and you have a scrambler/tourer for two-up riding. I have no clue about the front suspension though. It will be pretty weird looking, but probably worth the effort. It will be lower than the following bike:

http://themotolady.com/ktm-duke-390-scrambler/
God this looks kick ass and will blow away the 310R!! But getting these mods done professionally in India will probably push the overall cost of the bike closer to a used ducati icon or a versys.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 12:02   #25
BHPian

Did you remove the hand guards? It comes as factory fitted right?
Dodge_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 14:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Congrats on the new bike and a very good review.

I am 6' 2" tall and the new Duke seems more suitable for me. I found the old Duke 390 cramped, especially my legs were not fitting into the tank groove. The power delivery seems more refined and suitable for bumper to bumper traffic.
Thanks.

Yes, the new bike definitely feels more at home in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Did you remove the hand guards? It comes as factory fitted right?
Yes, both the hand guards and the saree guard have been removed post purchase.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 16:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
The box just after the tank is the air filter. It is now reachable without removing the tank
The air filter is reachable without removing the tank on the old 390 as well
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 17:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The air filter is reachable without removing the tank on the old 390 as well
I stand corrected. In that case, the newer version just makes it easier to get to the air filter by allowing the front seat to be removed with just the key.
abhijeet080808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 18:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
Engine

Attachment 1652517

The engine gains ride by wire throttle. The choppy throttle response of the older bike has been tamed to a large extent, even though a hint of it is still felt at around 2k to 3k rpm. The bike now has improved low and mid range power. The engine starts pulling from 3k rpm onwards and goes into rocket mode from 5k rpm onwards till it hits the rev limiter. In contrast the earlier bike had slightly lower low end power and needed around 1k more rpm to display the same urgency. The throttle response is CRISP and is on a different league altogether compared to the older bike.
Congratulations on the 2017 Duke 390 Abhijeet! I have a 2015 Duke 390
Just wondering whether the early pulling of the 2017 Duke as you had mentioned, is due to the 47T rear sprocket or just because of the retuned ecu?

Could you please kindly confirm whether the rear sprocket is 47T and whether the chain is 520 X 112 / 114 links from the manual?
antonjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 06:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonjeeper View Post
Congratulations on the 2017 Duke 390 Abhijeet! I have a 2015 Duke 390
Just wondering whether the early pulling of the 2017 Duke as you had mentioned, is due to the 47T rear sprocket or just because of the retuned ecu?

Could you please kindly confirm whether the rear sprocket is 47T and whether the chain is 520 X 112 / 114 links from the manual?
Thanks.

The sprocket set is same 15/45. It is mentioned on the KTM website but nowhere on the manual. By the way, there is no paper manual available now. Its available as a soft copy at http://ktmdukeweb.gladminds.co/

It is the retuned engine that leads to the change in behaviour. Take a test ride. You will know it immediately.

Last edited by abhijeet080808 : 7th July 2017 at 07:05.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote