Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th August 2017, 11:41   #61

Default Re: Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
In case someone wants to download the full thing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpbf3k6x0l...anual.zip?dl=0
Hello Farhadtarapore! Can you please post the link for the portable version of the 2017 D390 owner's manual? The one you posted earlier isn't working for me.

On the other hand, it is really sad to see that a company like KTM, selling so many bikes in India, doesn't have a proper owner's manual that is dedicated to the Indian version of the bike and is easily available . No offense to KTM Enthusiasts.
vjkamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 19:26   #62
rbp
BHPian

I have been mulling buying the Duke390, I have test ridden it 4 to 5 times. I some how don't like the stock tyres, the rear tyre keeps moving a lot, searching for traction on not so ideal surface under hard acceleration. Any thoughts on the 2017 D390 owners experience?
rbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 00:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I have been mulling buying the Duke390, I have test ridden it 4 to 5 times. I some how don't like the stock tyres, the rear tyre keeps moving a lot, searching for traction on not so ideal surface under hard acceleration. Any thoughts on the 2017 D390 owners experience?
That is what happens when a fairly light motorcycle has around 40 horsepower available at the twist of the wrist.

Under hard acceleration, any motorcycle with this much power will lose traction on poor road surfaces where loose material exists.
Check out videos of moto-cross or off road racing. You will see the same thing happening as they accelerate hard with dirt flying to the rear as the rear wheel grasps for traction.

The key to dealing with this is to learn the limits of the motorcycles traction and stay within those limits.

For most riders, the benefits of having a lot of power available is, they will seldom use it.
That results in less wear on the engine and drive train which is good.
When they do need the power though on a good road surface, it will be there if they want it.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 07:37   #64
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
That is what happens when a fairly light motorcycle has around 40 horsepower available at the twist of the wrist.

Under hard acceleration, any motorcycle with this much power will lose traction on poor road surfaces where loose material exists.
Check out videos of moto-cross or off road racing. You will see the same thing happening as they accelerate hard with dirt flying to the rear as the rear wheel grasps for traction.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, the road surface wasn't loose, it was just uneven and the rear suspension was working hard to keep the rear in a straight line. The older Duke had a better grippy tyre, the 2017 tyres have been downgraded is what I have read. Has anyone upgraded the tyres here?
rbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 14:56   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear, the road surface wasn't loose, it was just uneven and the rear suspension was working hard to keep the rear in a straight line. The older Duke had a better grippy tyre, the 2017 tyres have been downgraded is what I have read. Has anyone upgraded the tyres here?
The tyres have been downgraded to a lower "high-speed" rating. Most of us would probably never hit that high-speed in our lives on our dukes. Ever. (I think 240kmph). Not likely that it will cause a noticeable difference in everyday riding on sub-optimal surfaces. I ride on "bad" roads pretty often and don't notice anything out of the ordinary as far as grip is concerned. As Jim mentioned above, you need to know your own and your bike's limits and keep that right hand in check.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 09:09   #66
BHPian

Quote:
The older tyres were slightly more grippier than the newer ones. However the difference is not that apparent. This is still a much better tyre than the MRFs or the Michelins. The cornering grip from this tyre is on a different level.

The main problem with the tyre is that it absolutely cannot handle sand on tarmac and muddy/slushy roads. This is due to the way the tread is patterned. The Michelin is better here.

All in all, the find the stock tyres most suitable for the bike, unless you will be riding mostly on broken, muddy or sandy tarmac. In which case, the Michelins are better.
abhijeet080808 is offline   Reply With Quote