Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th July 2017, 14:51   #16

Default Re: USA: Motorcycle sales fall by 50% in a decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Atleast in many parts of California and Arizona (states where you can ride year round), the roads are so boring that even a diehard biker like me would never ride a bike there. Add to that the BIIIIG trucks doing 80+ mph. There's just no fun riding a bike there. I hardly saw like 2-3 bikes an hour when traveling between LA or Fresno and Grand Canyon. And again, all of the bikers I saw were not young. I would wholeheartedly agree with this article.
Look harder next time and you can probably see us out there! I commute quite a lot on my SV650 from the South Bay (SJC) to SF. Yeah the roads are pretty linear, but there quite a few fun roads to ride on in CA. Many of the great roads are up near Northern California, but near San Diego is pretty good too.

Motorcycles have been getting more popular especially in metropolitan areas because traffic is SOO bad now in a car. CA is one of the only states in the US where you can lane split legally, as the Highway Patrol hasn't really set the "rules" on the law yet. I can get to my work faster on the bike than sitting around in a car and dealing with vehicle traffic. Yes there is risk, but at least im signing up for it when im legging over on the bike.
Bhatman510 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 17:10   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
Look harder next time and you can probably see us out there! I commute quite a lot on my SV650 from the South Bay (SJC) to SF. Yeah the roads are pretty linear, but there quite a few fun roads to ride on in CA. Many of the great roads are up near Northern California, but near San Diego is pretty good too.

Motorcycles have been getting more popular especially in metropolitan areas because traffic is SOO bad now in a car. CA is one of the only states in the US where you can lane split legally, as the Highway Patrol hasn't really set the "rules" on the law yet. I can get to my work faster on the bike than sitting around in a car and dealing with vehicle traffic. Yes there is risk, but at least im signing up for it when im legging over on the bike.
Sure. My limited experience was
SFO - Napa - Yosemite - Fresno - Grand Canyon - San Diego - Los Angeles.

I was truly disappointed not seeing more bikers atleast around Yosemite which had enough genuine twisties unlike GC which was mostly rolling terrain.

2200 miles is not enough to judge a country as big as USA but I would think one can hazard a good guess.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 17:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sure. My limited experience was
SFO - Napa - Yosemite - Fresno - Grand Canyon - San Diego - Los Angeles.

I was truly disappointed not seeing more bikers atleast around Yosemite which had enough genuine twisties unlike GC which was mostly rolling terrain.

2200 miles is not enough to judge a country as big as USA but I would think one can hazard a good guess.
Because Yosemite has had to deal with the increase in vehicle traffic in the past few years (especially this year due to all the extra water we got), they impose a fee to enter the park. Im not going to drop the cash for that, especially when I can go a tad further south and see Joshua Tree or the many Natl. Forests in CA.

Good twisties? Just in the Bay Area alone you have Mt. Hamilton, San Pedro Dam, Highway 35 aka Skyline Blvd., Highway 17 to Santa Cruz if your bold. I recently did a ride up to Eureka to go on to Highway 36 which has roughly...136 curves

The motorcycle community in the Bay Area and CA in general is pretty big, just happens to be a minute burp compared to India.
Bhatman510 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 08:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good twisties? Just in the Bay Area alone you have Mt. Hamilton, San Pedro Dam, Highway 35 aka Skyline Blvd., Highway 17 to Santa Cruz if your bold. I recently did a ride up to Eureka to go on to Highway 36 which has roughly...136 curves

The motorcycle community in the Bay Area and CA in general is pretty big, just happens to be a minute burp compared to India.
I have driven on Highway 35/17 and to Big Sur as well in a previous trip but then I was not as observant about the bike traffic - those routes are more bike friendly for sure.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 10:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Harley Davidson announces job cuts now, as sales continue to fall in the US.

https://www.wpr.org/harley-davidson-...-continue-drop
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 20:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Another major reason that keeps millennials away is the insurance cost for motorcycles in the US. Its insane. I had to do lots of shopping (one year riding and the MSF course)to get my insurance down to the $350 odd I am paying now. I have a 600cc Yamaha, middle age, 17yrs exp, married, good credit.

With more millennials not interested in driving a car in the first place, this is expected for motorcycles. There has a massive drop in driving license issues over the years. I believe it was almost flat in the last few years. Getting a Motorcycle license is even more time consuming and cost $150+ for the MSF course and 2 days plus license fee. Here is the simple answer.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 25th July 2017 at 20:21.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 20:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sad. I wish car sales come down and like a FM had posted about bikes - I feel cars just suck the life out of a human being. They should be confined to garages and parking lots. Disgusting pieces of machinery.

Anyways, this leaves us motorcycle enthusiasts with better deals - for now. But I saw LOTS of motorcycles in Des Moines, IA and many riders in Atlanta as well.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 20:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Anyways, this leaves us motorcycle enthusiasts with better deals - for now.
seriously you said it. I am now window shopping between the new Street triple & Z900. Waiting for Nov-Dec, the best time to buy bikes.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 22:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Another major reason that keeps millennials away is the insurance cost for motorcycles in the US. Its insane. I had to do lots of shopping (one year riding and the MSF course)to get my insurance down to the $350 odd I am paying now.
Personally, it makes sense to get liability only insurance. In the last 18 years of owning bikes I have always had liability only insurance, and I have saved enough to buy these bikes over and over, even if they are a total loss/stolen. Liability only insurance rates in CA is ~$100 per year for a bike that costs $10k.

I agree that if you are paying $1200 per year in insurance and riding 1200 miles in a year that is a dollar per mile, which can appear painful. Another reason to ride more and reduce the cost per mile.

Quote:
seriously you said it. I am now window shopping between the new Street triple & Z900. Waiting for Nov-Dec, the best time to buy bikes.
You have a point if you are planning to get a new bike. Personally, I like used bikes. There are tons of people who buy new bikes and chicken out of riding. Tons of deals to be scored. One of the bikes I bought was from a doctor in Hollywood who bought a sport bike as a gift to his wife, who only rode it once in the 2 years she had it. He sold a $11k bike for $5K on eBay with less than a 1000 miles on it. For such sweet deals, there is no season. Just have patience, and keep looking. Often we run out of patience when we have cash in the pocket and there is nothing in the used market that is enticing.

Last edited by prasadee : 25th July 2017 at 22:46.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 22:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I think a CA team-bhp motorcycle meet is in order. Please message me if you ever ride down. I can show you the routes I like, and a few watering holes.
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 00:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hehehe, nice to see some people refute the thinking that motorcycles are "..the most unsafe piece of equipment to travel and something that has to be confined to the realms of a proper race track. Looks like the newer generation have finally come of age moving onto other safe options". And here we are looking for avenues to get good deals on these unsafe equipment!

Quote:
Hahah, awesome - I am looking too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Personally, it makes sense to get liability only insurance. In the last 18 years of owning bikes I have always had liability only insurance, and I have saved enough to buy these bikes over and over, even if they are a total loss/stolen. Liability only insurance rates in CA is ~$100 per year for a bike that costs $10k.
I need to read up about this - didn't know there was something like this.

Quote:
Personally, I like used bikes. There are tons of people who buy new bikes and chicken out of riding. Tons of deals to be scored. One of the bikes I bought was from a doctor in Hollywood who bought a sport bike as a gift to his wife, who only rode it once in the 2 years she had it. He sold a $11k bike for $5K on eBay with less than a 1000 miles on it. For such sweet deals, there is no season. Just have patience, and keep looking. Often we run out of patience when we have cash in the pocket and there is nothing in the used market that is enticing.
So true and I agree. I am seeing some awesome used bikes in the Atlanta market. I am hoping that I can soon be able to land a good one. Sometimes too many choices is a bad thing
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 00:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have a point if you are planning to get a new bike. Personally, I like used bikes. There are tons of people who buy new bikes and chicken out of riding.
Yes, I got mine used. Was barely run 3K miles. It looked like out of the showroom. Love it when someone else pays for the depreciation.. New models are hard to find though. maybe next season.

Quote:
Personally, it makes sense to get liability only insurance. In the last 18 years of owning bikes I have always had liability only insurance, and I have saved enough to buy these bikes over and over, even if they are a total loss/stolen.
Seems like a good suggestion, Haven't tried it. I garage, disc lock and chain my bike. Kept a high deductible so premium drops. But if you finance, lien holder may mandate to max $500 deductible. For new bikes, may not be advisable to go liability only, parts cost can add up fast in a crash.

Quote:
I think a CA team-bhp motorcycle meet is in order. Please message me if you ever ride down. I can show you the routes I like, and a few watering holes.
You CA guys have all the fun routes and best weather. Know of any places that rent sportbikes in the Socal area?
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 03:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like a good suggestion, Haven't tried it. I garage, disc lock and chain my bike. Kept a high deductible so premium drops. But if you finance, lien holder may mandate to max $500 deductible. For new bikes, may not be advisable to go liability only, parts cost can add up fast in a crash.
You CA guys have all the fun routes and best weather. Know of any places that rent sportbikes in the Socal area?
Yes, self insurance requires you to put some money aside on top of the money you spend on the bike. Instead of the insurance company paying, you just dip into the money you put aside. Having a garage helps. It also helps if the bikes you buy are not super popular among thieves. Like the R6/R1, GSXR, & CBR RR. Basically, you are doing the risk management. In 1999 I bought a Suzuki GS500 for $900, nobody even looked at it, forget stealing it. Great bike, but with a horrible paint job. In a couple years, I had enough money for a better used bike, and a self insurance fund for that bike. These days if the bike does not make for a good Facebook post, nobody wants to buy it.

There is one in Oceanside that rents out sportbikes. Check them out.
http://sportbikemotorcyclerental.com/bikes.html

Southern California has ideal weather, but we are stuck in a corner. Ocean on the west, Mexico to the south, and a monstro-city called Los Angeles to the north. The only way out is going east into the mountains.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 04:14   #29

Quote:
Yes, self insurance requires you to put some money aside on top of the money you spend on the bike.

GS500 is a great starter bike! Ended up flipping mine in Santa Cruz for a bit less, but was worth the the six month ride time with it. Too many kids/people want the supersport bikes (CBR600rr, R6, GSX650 aka Gixxer BRah! ) Leads to an over saturation of those bikes on Craigslist. At this moment id lean more towards the SV, or go after a F4i orrr a BMW F800s.

Last edited by ampere : 27th July 2017 at 00:53. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Bhatman510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 09:29   #30
BHPian

Coming back to the topic , I think the huge push by bike makers and bike magazines for bigger and bigger engines and consequently higher costs (and weight) is also responsible for the slowdown.
I mean 10-15 years back, 600cc used to be big - today they are classified as "middle-weight" and that too is slowly changing as "middle-weight" moves to 800-900cc. For example, the Ducati monster used to be 600-900cc in range. Today the entry-level monster is 800cc going to 1200 at top end.
For almost 95% of the people, 600cc is more than enough.

And sadly it looks like the same strategy is being pushed in India.
timuseravan is offline   Reply With Quote