Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th August 2017, 17:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Midnight - My Aprilia SR 150

Vineeth - Not remember seeing a Scooter pic in Hot threads page in my last one decade in TBHP. Kudos! Well articulated from a riders perspective and kept me glued for past half an hour.

Glad to see Midnight is munching miles and seeing the world. I was never a scooter guy but now after reading this, I badly need a spin on her.

Whats next? I hope you have already read this
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 19:47   #32
BHPian

Talking Re: Midnight - My Aprilia SR 150

Except for the buying decision, many of the things you've stated are something i've experienced (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...000-km-up.html (My li'l red riding hood, the Vespa LX125. 3 years & 12,000 km up)).

I wanted a pulsar 135 but instead got a vespa 125 (yep, 'cos of mom's no bikes rule!). And, now that i have a pulsar 135 i'm so much happy that i didn't choose the pulsar for my daily college runs back then. I used to grin ear-to-ear every time i saw an open stretch and that little engine would plunge me forward easily - 80 - 90 - 100 - 105 and then the fuel would cut-off bringing me back to reality .

A tough decision to make - My scooter is now sold though, but the memories are etched forever. Something that i can cherish forever.

Cheers! and happy mile munching.
kaushik51094 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 21:05   #33

Such a well written review
I actually felt your thought process and short listing.
Another Italian beauty (already have a Punto) which was on my radar and your review has just made sure that I am going to get one.
Have millions of happy and safe rides.
Orange GTX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 22:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
You're behind the times, man. An Activa 125 costs around 74k OTR, so the Aprilia is actually not too bad I reckon. That said, I think Honda have priced their scooters so high because they can. Nobody is going to stop buying them anyway, so why bother?.
74k for an Activa 125
I feel old and aged all of a sudden. When I bought my bullet in 2005, it was only 65k.

If Activa 125 is 74k, then Aprilia at 78k is definitely a wonderful buy.
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 14:13   #35
BHPian

What a wonderfully written review!!!

It sounds so spontaneous. More than the Scooter, you have revealed your inner self. You come through as a wonderful person with a benign charm.
If this is not spontaneous and you have deliberately designed your character in this review, then you have some serious writing talent.

Either way, you are one more reason why I am addicted to TBHP.
Enobarbus is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 21:44   #36
BHPian

Great pics and a lovely reviews. I am supposed to be working and I thought let me take a peek, I ended up reading the whole of it!
I have see one few around town and the bigger bigger tires makes its presence felt. And from what I have observed its very much meant as a "rider only" scooter. Any thoughts?

I dont understand the fixation with the heavy Activa. I often see women struggling to move the Activa around. How does the SR 150 feel?
Queryanalyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 11:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
What a wonderfully written review!!!

It sounds so spontaneous. More than the Scooter, you have revealed your inner self. You come through as a wonderful person with a benign charm.
If this is not spontaneous and you have deliberately designed your character in this review, then you have some serious writing talent.

Either way, you are one more reason why I am addicted to TBHP.
Thank you very much, I am humbled by your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queryanalyzer View Post
Great pics and a lovely reviews. I am supposed to be working and I thought let me take a peek, I ended up reading the whole of it!
I have see one few around town and the bigger bigger tires makes its presence felt. And from what I have observed its very much meant as a "rider only" scooter. Any thoughts?

I dont understand the fixation with the heavy Activa. I often see women struggling to move the Activa around. How does the SR 150 feel?

Yes, it is very much more of a 'rider only' scooter rather than the 'carry your whole family and the kitchen sink' variety on the market. Like I had noticed from my brief visit to the Honda showroom, people just buy the Activa without even bothering to check it out.

I suppose it's the typical 'herd' mentality people have, they see all their friends and relatives having the Activa and decide its brilliant in every way and get one as well. They then see the various flaws of the product after they've purchased it and by then its too late and they decide to just live with it. If the Activa feels heavy, then the SR150 is much heavier. Even I struggle with the weight on inclines and such, more so because I can't get my feet on the ground properly.
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 08:25   #38

Congrats on your new Aprilia and wish you many years of safe driving.

While evaluating a scooter for my college-going son, I had shortlisted Suzuki Access and Honda Activa 125. Deciding between them was no easy task as the more I tried to differentiate, the more similarities showed up. Both had the typical scooter limitations of small wheels, low initial and mid-range pick-up, a smooth-roads-only suspension and restrictive handling.

After reading your thread, I visited the Aprilia showroom and a 50 meter test-ride convinced me that this is the scooter to buy. Though my son protested that it looks like a Scooty and that his friends would 'tease' him for buying a 'girlie' scooter, I put my foot down and said it will be an Aprilia or the bus.

My reasons for the selection:
1. 3-valve per cylinder 150cc engine gives bike-like power delivery with auto-gear comfort.
2. 14-inch wheels with long-travel suspension that help to keep the bike steady on broken roads.
3. Steel frame that gives the scooter structural rigidity.
4. Sticky IRC tires.
5. A mildly-sporty riding stance that should help distribute rider weight across the handle-bar and seat.
6. Handling that reminds you of motorcycles instead of scooters.
7. Brakes that bite and hold even at 60-70 kmph.
8. Weight that makes the bike sure-footed.

Concerns:
Mileage: About 5-8 km pl less than 125 cc scooters (being a 150cc it is expected to be less fuel efficient, but to a college student, this can be an important factor).

Spare parts:
Being a new scooter in the market with a lot of the key parts imported, wonder how easy it would be to source parts. I asked the SA how much do the brake pads cost, he said, "so far no customer has come back for a front brake pads change," hmmm...
Olympal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 13:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
Though my son protested that it looks like a Scooty and that his friends would 'tease' him for buying a 'girlie' scooter, I put my foot down and said it will be an Aprilia or the bus.

1. 3-valve per cylinder 150cc engine gives bike-like power delivery with auto-gear comfort.
2. 14-inch wheels with long-travel suspension that help to keep the bike steady on broken roads.
4. Sticky IRC tires.
5. A mildly-sporty riding stance that should help distribute rider weight across the handle-bar and seat.

Concerns:
Mileage: About 5-8 km pl less than 125 cc scooters (being a 150cc it is expected to be less fuel efficient, but to a college student, this can be an important factor).

Spare parts:
Being a new scooter in the market with a lot of the key parts imported, wonder how easy it would be to source parts.
Hearty congratulations for the scoot. I am pretty much sure your son will not complain once he starts piling in more kms on the odo. The brakes too are I would say the best in the scooter segment. The only negative point is the super hard suspension, a boon for the highway runs but bone shattering for bad roads. The scoot can easily hit triple speeds without any vibration. Regarding the parts, the engine is basically a Vespa unit plus majority of the parts are made in India so no worries on the spare availability.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 10:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
Congrats on your new Aprilia and wish you many years of safe driving.

After reading your thread, I visited the Aprilia showroom and a 50 meter test-ride convinced me that this is the scooter to buy. Though my son protested that it looks like a Scooty and that his friends would 'tease' him for buying a 'girlie' scooter, I put my foot down and said it will be an Aprilia or the bus.

4. Sticky IRC tires.

Concerns:
Your son will definitely like the SR150 for its handling prowess, and the ample torque it has to offer.

Point no 2 of your selection criteria can be an issue though. Yes, the large wheels mean that small irregularities won't be too much of an issue, but trust me on this, the SR150 does NOT like broken roads. The suspension will constantly thud hard into potholes and even the tires sometimes struggle for grip on gravelly sections. If your son will be riding on broken roads a lot, I would strongly recommend a test ride on such roads so that you can see for yourself how the scooter behaves and then make a decision.

I agree with rakesh_r, spare parts shouldn't be too much of an issue. That said, the Aprilia dealers never seem to have the parts in stock. You will have to order them beforehand. I do hope the situation improves in the future.

Last edited by Speed.Demon : 16th August 2017 at 10:25.
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote