Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th August 2017, 12:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb Buying from a sub-dealer?

Recently when hunting for a scooter for my wife, I found that sub-dealers especially in the rural areas are giving better deals when compared to the Main Dealers in the cities.

I understand that this is due to the less leads in rural areas, but I've also found difference in:
  • Customer Service
  • Total Cost
  • Up-selling of additional accessories/fittings
  • Negotiation margin
  1. Is there any disadvantage in buying(not servicing) from a Sub dealer?
  2. So which one do you prefer, Main or Sub dealer?
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 12:22   #2
BHPian

Default re: Buying from a sub-dealer?

I would always prefer a main dealer over sub dealers. Probability of main dealer misleading you in terms of variants, cost break ups, offers, etc is low compared to a sub dealer. Also companies would own up or respond to goof ups made by their authorized dealer but not for sub dealers. Only advantage i see of a sub dealer is he might be able to deliver a vehicle quicker than the authorized dealer for vehicles which have waiting period
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 12:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
I would always prefer a main dealer over sub dealers. Probability of main dealer misleading you in terms of variants, cost break ups, offers, etc is low compared to a sub dealer. Also companies would own up or respond to goof ups made by their authorized dealer but not for sub dealers. Only advantage i see of a sub dealer is he might be able to deliver a vehicle quicker than the authorized dealer for vehicles which have waiting period
Thanks. But If I'm well informed and have done my homework, is there any issue?

Also sub dealers are listed in almost all of the two wheeler sites along with the main dealers.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 12:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

When buying a new car, no substitute to the authorized (main) dealer.

The discount is not worth the trouble if something goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
[*]Is there any disadvantage in buying(not servicing) from a Sub dealer?
Warranty claims could be a major hassle since you would eventually end up at the dealer for repairs.

I remember, a luxury car maker had a while back issued a statement that Big Boy Toyz (a luxury/premium car sub-dealer) in Gurgaon are not their authorized dealer and hence the originality of the cars delivered by them could not be guaranteed.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 12:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. But If I'm well informed and have done my homework, is there any issue?

Also sub dealers are listed in almost all of the two wheeler sites along with the main dealers.
That would be fine but that still doesn't reduce the risk. I have one of my known who has picked up an i10 from a sub dealer and is still following up to get the car registered. He has done the complete payment including tax and registration charges but took the delivery without registration just because it was an auspicious day. Its been 2 weeks now and he is still following up for getting the car registered. Now reasons could be anything but you will not face these kind of issues with main dealers.

Last edited by sumitdongerkery : 9th August 2017 at 13:07. Reason: spelling mistake
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Hi Mithun,

I wouldn't suggest picking up a vehicle from the sub dealer either. While they might give you a better rate than the authorized dealer in town, we have had multiple stories of them replacing OEM parts with sub standard ones before delivering the vehicles to the customer.

IIRC, there was a post about this on the forum (unable to locate it right now though).

Cheers,
R-Six
R-Six is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 13:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
]So which one do you prefer, Main or Sub dealer?
I had purchased my HH Hunk back in 2008 from a Sub Dealer.
I had no idea during purchase that it a sub dealer. It was only when I looked at the invoice etc, that I realized that it was a sub dealer.

Over 8 years of ownership, there were no issues with service & spares. I found the quality of service to be better at the Sub Dealer outlet.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 14:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
I wouldn't suggest picking up a vehicle from the sub dealer either. While they might give you a better rate than the authorized dealer in town, we have had multiple stories of them replacing OEM parts with sub standard ones before delivering the vehicles to the customer.
But if they are caught, it would cause cancellation of their dealer's license. Why take such a big risk nowadays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
That would be fine but that still doesn't reduce the risk. I have one of my known who has picked up an i10 from a sub dealer and is still following up to get the car registered. He has done the complete payment including tax and registration charges but took the delivery without registration just because it was an auspicious day. Its been 2 weeks now and he is still following up for getting the car registered. Now reasons could be anything but you will not face these kind of issues with main dealers.
Sub-dealers are listed in their official sites of 2 Wheeler companies which means that they are authorized like the main dealers, right?
Old 19th September 2017, 18:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying from a sub-dealer?

Finally bought Yamaha Ray from a main dealer in the city.

The main dealer was more professional and provided better discounts than the sub dealer.