Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th November 2017, 16:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition

Aprilia Vehicles have always held me in amazement. Pure racing pedigree and Italian finesse exuding in each machine, it was time for me to add an Aprilia SR150 to my Piaggio collection.
I choose the SR150 Race Edition for its bright looks, Swanky Alloy wheels, Aprilia Racing-Italian themed decals and an augmented power in acceleration which came with it.

Booking Experience
Motoplex showrooms across India showcase Piaggio brands of Vespa, Aprilia and Moto Guzzi and their set up is lovely with great display of all the models and accessories.
In Hyderabad, Motoplex Showroom under Shrey Vespa(www.shreyautomotives.com) in Jubilee Hills is an awesome place to wind up just to ogle at these Italian vehicles.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-sh1.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-sh2.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-sh3.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-sh4.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-sh5.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-sh6.jpg
Motoplex has a brilliant team of Store Manager and Staff, who made the booking and delivery an experience to remember. As my son and I reached to the Motoplex Showroom, our SR150 Race Edition was ready to fly out. PDI, Paperwork and delivery formalities done, we stepped out of Motoplex, with a beaming smile, that I owned, possibly the cheapest Aprilia on this planet !!!
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-006.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-005.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-002.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-003.jpg
The odometer showed 6kms when i reached the nearest fuel station and let my SR150 quench its thrist with a tankful of gasoline.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-012.jpg

As part of the deal, Aprilia India is offering :
1) Free Insurance for 1 Year
2) Free Extended Warranty for 1 Year
3) Floor Mat
3) Perimeter guard with foot rest (opted out)
4) Mobile Charger (Opted out)
5) Cash back of Rs.2000, if booked through Paytm Wallet
Strangely, there was no saree guard offered at all !!

We left showroom with few Aprilia Accessories, much to our delight and was glad to see how Motoplex has understood its loyal Piaggio aficionados.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-accessories.jpg

The Ownership Starts

SR150 Race Edition is quintessentially a slightly different scooter built on racing lines, with Aprilia Motogp theme, higher acceleration and most importantly - A Race Boom Exhaust !!!
A taller stance and a lean body makes it an urban as well as motorway riding machine with ease.
A strong 154cc Engine, with 14"swanky alloy wheels, combined with Motogp inspired lines with front disk brake, make SR150 a pure urban racer in my opinion. Also coming to handy are storage space under the seat,
Storage hook, grab handles make SR150 purely utilitarian.

What I liked :

- Sporty Design.
- Bright Alloy Wheels.
- Race Boom louder Exhaust.
- Bybre Disc Brake (only front).
- Sporty Decals.
- Dual tone art leather seat.
- Affordable price in India as compared to other countries.
- Strong road presence and attracts attention.

What I didn't like :

- Smaller Seat and a slight Incline makes it uncomfortable for long rides.
- Lack of Combi breaking.
- Inadequate storage space under the seat.
- Sluggish cold start.
- Smaller Fuel Tank Capacity (5.5 Liters).
- Lack of digital speedo display
- Vee Rubber (Thai Make) hard compound tyres.

At this stage, I would like to point out the essential differences between SR150 and SR150 Race for the benefit of future owners.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-aprillia-sr150-diff-pic.jpg
The brochure also clearly explains these features..
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-brochure2.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-brochure3.jpg
,Needless to say SR150 Race costs a little more than SR150 !!

The Ride Begins :
I began the rides to my office roughly about 35kms (both ways) for 3 days and soon crossed 100km barrier. This Race Edition has a very good drag race style acceleration combined with brilliant braking both from Front and rear braking system. The absence of combi braking makes its presence felt, however !! I noticed a little heating of the engine, but also quick cooling, did not worry me much. I noticed quick ease over maneuvering curvy roads and U-turns and the handle bar position certainly makes it easier for a beautiful ride.
City rides call for visits to supermarket, and this is where I felt stark inadequacy in storage space under the seat as well as on the narrow floor board. There isn't simply any space, if you decide to place your helmet under the seat. This left me pondering...
I drove a good stretches of longer quieter roads to observe the wind movement and this also rather made me to ponder, how I will face gusty winds on a highway. Thankfully I haven't crossed 60km speed. Here comes a quick observation. The Speedo has both Kmph amd Mph markings, which makes a small confusion when you look at the speedo while riding.
Of Course, the combined speedo is meant to serve all markets around the world. Its a matter of adapting yourself until few rides and then it gets easier to know your speed.

Quality of Ride : Absolutely a delightful experience, when I compare with other CVT machines. SR150 being a lighter and narrower vehicle makes it even more easy to ride on a long stretch as well as mastering corners. So lets Ride on !!!

Braking Prowess : I describe braking power in 2 ways..A Brick through a Plate Glass or a Blow torch through butter. I was quite happy to see the later experience in SR150 though a combi braking would have been a extra wish granted !! Here I would like to add my grouse about the tyre composition. Aprilia Sr150 comes with a Thai make Tyres - Vee Rubber (www.veerubber.co.th), which are basically hard compund tyres which can iron out your ride. The only solution is to keep a lower psi of air in the tyre, or else the alloy wheel will take a hit sooner or later. Im right now searching for good tyres in Michelin or Pirelli for my SR150.
Bybre Disc Brake in the front works awesome and has superb stopping power.

Acceleration : SR150 Race edition comes with a quick acceleration(drag race style) and with in seconds, the race boom exhaust kicks in, giving a flash like speed. An average 60-70kgs Adult will literally fly on this machine.

Seating Ergonomics :
Aprilia SR150 is a tall boy machine and the seat is at a good height.To give a racing stance, Aprillia has designed the seat with a slight incline towards the front,hence when you brake, there is a forward movement in your body, leading to some discomfort.
SR150 is strictly for a single rider, IMHO, because the seat is so compact. Maybe a 10 year old can just fit in as a pillion rider,
but you need to check at regular intervals during the ride, if he/she has not fallen off..lol

Fuel Economics : My first 150 kms guzzled about 5 litres of fuel, giving a rough FE on 30kmpl.Having crossed 200km now and about 50km of riding on highway, FE should improve.
But my assessment would be in the range of 35-40 kmpl maximum. Hence I would rate SR150 to be a gas guzzler in my opinion.

Ownership delight : Definitely proud to own this Italian machine and would recommend to others to acquire one, if you want to purely own an Italian Brand and dont mind fuel being guzzled !!

Touring Thoughts
Being an avid motorcycle rider, my thoughts extended towards making my SR150 a light Tourer, hence decided to create one immediately with in first 15 days of ownership.
The results have been outstanding after I added a GIVIsque Flyscreen and a Top Case. Now my SR150 Race edition can be called a "Touring Race Edition" !!!
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-h.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-b.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-g.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-c.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-d.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-f.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-e.jpg

Wishing everyone a Happy & Safe Ride.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th November 2017 at 14:19. Reason: Deleting duplicate images as requested
hillram is offline   (35) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 17:03   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the 2-Wheeler Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 18:27   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition! Had a chance to ride this for about ~20 kms in Bangalore during peak hours. It was good and packed enough punch to quickly wade the traffic.

Just wondering, how much did the windshield and the topcase set you back by?
LOL_FWD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 18:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Ram! Looks wicked and the specs seems quite nice too

Though as you know I am a huge fan of 2-wheels but, somehow I could never be comfortable with these scooters (any two-wheeler that does not have gears) as I feel scared to ride them because it gives me a sense of no control

I'm sure it is zippy and comfortable to move around in the city

My heartiest congratulations to Vijay assuming it's for him you bought this
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 19:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congratulations on the motoscoot. The SR scores well in terms of power and agility. The only grouse thing I felt is the bone jarring ride. The headlights too are not upto mark. I replaced the halogen with an LED which is way better than the stock ones. Regarding cold start, I engage the choke and let the engine idle for sometime. Off late I have been hearing a clicking sound from the back wheel. SVC has recommended in changing the rear wheel under warranty. Once again hearty congratulations.
Attached Thumbnails
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-e285dc962a1b460d8f10442cdeb71e8f.jpeg  

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-2401661566d24740a157f96610806b83.jpeg  

rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 21:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition! Had a chance to ride this for about ~20 kms in Bangalore during peak hours. It was good and packed enough punch to quickly wade the traffic.

Just wondering, how much did the windshield and the topcase set you back by?
Thanks.Indeed its a swift ride in the traffic. You would be surprised at the set back caused by windshield and the topcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats Ram! Looks wicked and the specs seems quite nice too

Though as you know I am a huge fan of 2-wheels but, somehow I could never be comfortable with these scooters (any two-wheeler that does not have gears) as I feel scared to ride them because it gives me a sense of no control

I'm sure it is zippy and comfortable to move around in the city

My heartiest congratulations to Vijay assuming it's for him you bought this
Thanks Avi..Having crossed 45 age barrier, Im finding a new elixir in buying new showroom vehicles and enjoying them. I have at least three more new ownership vehicles to review on Team BHP.
SR150 is just to add to my newbie collection and of course the undying Vespism. Of course Vijay will ride it no sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Hearty congratulations on the motoscoot. The SR scores well in terms of power and agility. The only grouse thing I felt is the bone jarring ride. The headlights too are not upto mark. I replaced the halogen with an LED which is way better than the stock ones. Regarding cold start, I engage the choke and let the engine idle for sometime. Off late I have been hearing a clicking sound from the back wheel. SVC has recommended in changing the rear wheel under warranty. Once again hearty congratulations.
Thanks Rakesh. Headlight grouse was my first negative point, hence I connected both high beam and low beam into a combined relay with a switch assembly (quite honestly AHO was a bane!!),hence my headlight performance is better than a one-eyed jack !!!
I'm yet to experience the rear wheel rattle, may be few more miles crunched, I will also be its victim.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 09:37   #7
BHPian

Wow! Very nice read.

I have been waiting for that top case since long time to arrive. It looks nice!

Would you happen to know if the rear carrier is available only without the top case? I have a Hepco Becker top universal top case already for my Bonnie. I could just put the base plate on the SR and swap the top case from one bike to the other.

The windscreen looks nice as well!

congrats for the purchase
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 10:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I choose the SR150 Race Edition for its bright looks, Swanky Alloy wheels, Aprilia Racing-Italian themed decals and an augmented power in acceleration which came with it.
Congratulations on your purchase and (Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150)Buraq welcomes him to the club...!!!

Motoplex, Hyd indeed looks like a nice place to be at and the delivery experience looks good as well.

A couple of things that I needed from you are:

1. Could you help me buy a similar windscreen? What did it cost you?

2. I'm still scouting for a good keychain and the one you have seems good. Can you please courier me another one? I will pay you for it.

Last edited by n.devdath : 18th November 2017 at 11:00.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 21:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Off late I have been hearing a clicking sound from the back wheel. SVC has recommended in changing the rear wheel under warranty. Once again hearty congratulations.
Firstly congrats to both of you on the ownership of the most fun scooter in the market.
Slightly OT it maybe but I happen to have a Vespa VXL 150 which I believe runs with the same motor. I also started hearing this click sound from the back wheel area. Every time I accelerate, I hear this noise. I am not very sure if it is from the wheel or something to do with the engine. Do let me know if you find a remedy.
Enjoy your rides
saishivaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 23:10   #10

congrats for owning a very special scooter-bike.
Really love the shade and italian flair in vinyls.
A couple of questions
From where did you procure that top case?
For how much?
How did you attach it to the back , was a different grab rail used or any other fittings done.?
ajayishanku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2017, 08:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saishivaj View Post
Firstly congrats to both of you on the ownership of the most fun scooter in the market.
Slightly OT it maybe but I happen to have a Vespa VXL 150 which I believe runs with the same motor. I also started hearing this click sound from the back wheel area. Every time I accelerate, I hear this noise. I am not very sure if it is from the wheel or something to do with the engine. Do let me know if you find a remedy.
Enjoy your rides
Many thanks. The issue is with the wheel hub. SVC has suggested replacing the rear wheel. I will be going in next week to get the wheel replaced.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2017, 08:38   #12
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Nice write up. Congratulations on your Aprilla. Thanks for highlighting the differences between the Race edition and the normal SR150. I used to think it was just a sticker job. How much did you pay for the windscreen and the Helmet box and where did you get them from/ You really have a passion for Italian vehicles. Once more let me ask you the same question; "Where is the customary photo with the Aprilla shirt?"
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2017, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Wow! Very nice read.

I have been waiting for that top case since long time to arrive. It looks nice!

Would you happen to know if the rear carrier is available only without the top case? I have a Hepco Becker top universal top case already for my Bonnie. I could just put the base plate on the SR and swap the top case from one bike to the other.

The windscreen looks nice as well!

congrats for the purchase
Thanks..I will soon explain about the Top Case and Wind Screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congratulations on your purchase and (Buraq: My Aprilia SR 150)Buraq welcomes him to the club...!!!

Motoplex, Hyd indeed looks like a nice place to be at and the delivery experience looks good as well.

A couple of things that I needed from you are:

1. Could you help me buy a similar windscreen? What did it cost you?

2. I'm still scouting for a good keychain and the one you have seems good. Can you please courier me another one? I will pay you for it.

Dear Dev..I have few more of the same Aprilia Keychains. Please PM me your adress, I will courier one for you immediately. There is no need to pay,its for our brotherhood and Team BHP camaraderie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayishanku View Post
congrats for owning a very special scooter-bike.
Really love the shade and italian flair in vinyls.
A couple of questions
From where did you procure that top case?
For how much?
How did you attach it to the back , was a different grab rail used or any other fittings done.?
I will soon explain about the Top Case and Windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Nice write up. Congratulations on your Aprilla. Thanks for highlighting the differences between the Race edition and the normal SR150. I used to think it was just a sticker job. How much did you pay for the windscreen and the Helmet box and where did you get them from/ You really have a passion for Italian vehicles. Once more let me ask you the same question; "Where is the customary photo with the Aprilla shirt?"
Thanks man..and am I that predictable?. Aprillia shirt is underway and should be ready for the next photoshoot.
hillram is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2017, 11:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Curious Case of Top Case and Windscreen
After acquiring my SR150 race, I was not happy with 2 things :
1.Wind blast on Highway
2. Storage space under the seat.
With only a half face helmet going completely into the storage space,there was literally no place to even keep the vehicle documents.

My first option was to look at wind screens and top cases from GIVI, the Italian manufacturer of Motorcycle accessories. PUIG was another manufacturer that I considered to import these items.
Unfortunately the costs were too high, and impractical to spend nearly 20% of the cost of SR150, on a top case and Windscreen.
Then I shifted my focus to "Make in India" phenomenon and soon hit success.
Windscreen
The Windscreen fitted on my Sr150 is that of the age old Yamaha Enticer, which is still available as an accessory in Yamaha Spare parts shops.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-enticer-screen.jpg
It comes with a Windscreen, Angular Clamps and Bolts, that can be easily assembled in minute. The only modification that would be required is to make a pair of L Brackets(8cm) to connect the Windscreen Clamps to the OVRM stem and the Windscreen holds like a rock.
Cost of Windscreen Assembly (Yamaha Enticer OEM) : Rs.300
Cost of L-Brackets manufacturing Rs.100 (for a pair)
Total Cost Rs.400

Top Case
Having abandoned the idea of procuring Top cases from GIVI and PUIG, I decided to visit our own Indian STUDDS dealer (www.studds.com) in Hyderabad and he pulled out a catalog full of marvels.
I carefully selected the Top Case with matching colour (comes in 11 colors) and the Fitting Rack. Top Case is 30 Litres capacity and can take up to 5kgs of weight.

Top Case : http://www.studds.com/Home/accessoriesDetail/36
Fitting Rack : http://www.studds.com/Home/accessoriesDetail/77
Both the Top Case and the Fitting Rack comes with all the Nuts & Bolts and Clamps to do the mounting properly.Both come with a proper User Manuals so that, there is no scope for error.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-studds-case-rack.jpg
STUDDS dealer has a in house fitter, who comes with all the paraphernalia to fit any Top cases on Fitting racks.
With a minimal adjustment ,the fitting rack and the top case were fitted in 30 minutes on to my SR150

Cost of Fitting rack : Rs.350
Cost of Top Case : Rs.1150
Labour Cost for Fitment : Rs.300
Total Cost : Rs.1800

STUDDS dealer was so delighted with the result himself,, that he threw in these riding goggles as a gift,
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-studds-goggles.jpg

As you can see, this fitment changes the looks of the SR150 phenomenally. It is also of total utilitarian value.
I have extensively tested riding at good speeds over bumps and craters, to observe any rattles and noises from the top case(loaded with a full face helmet and few more gadgets) and Windscreen. Believe me they stay like a rock.
You can PM me for any further details and I will be happy to help.
Safe Riding to all.

Last edited by hillram : 19th November 2017 at 12:09.
hillram is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2017, 12:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Windscreen
A truly genius example of innovative thinking and perfect execution.

The shape too, is just right and the fitting, as good as an OEM fitment.

How effective is it in controlling wind blast at medium speeds without crouching?
Hats Off..!!!

PS: Have sent you another PM.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote