Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2017, 08:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Cops remove loud exhausts & crush them with a road roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
In the last image, the two exhausts on the right look like the stock exhausts. Am I missing something?
Not just 2, more than half of the mufflers in that pictures are stock.
I had tweeted BTP who had posted this picture couple of months back saying the same. No response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
That always made me wonder. Is RE allowed to have such exhausts? Or have they manipulated exhausts in test bikes to pass ARAI tests (like Chevy did with Tavera)? Or have they come around the system using some trickery?

Sorry RE fans, but I find the exhaust note obnoxiously loud and irritating.
These are not stock factory fitted exhausts. The stocks exhaust have a muffled note.
The aftermarket ones are un-restricted pipes with glasswool packed in them to give that extreme bass note.

What saddens me is that the old cast iron Bullets had a very nice note which was not annoying in anyway and now we have this.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th December 2017 at 16:43. Reason: Quoted post removed.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 10:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cops remove loud exhausts & crush them with a road roller

Good job by the police. These imbeciles who ride with modded silencers and exhausts are the worst scum on earth. They probably think some pretty damsel will fall for their heroics if they have a bike which breaks wind loudly.

Nothing short of such an action by the cops will deter more nutcases from joining the brigade and doing this in the future.
hrman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 10:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Law, even in well developed country, doesn't go after every single offender! I guess action has been taken after countless complains and recorded offence, heck people who live on main roads will understand this irritation, revving the nuts off with HUGE exhaust even during late hours!

Am I against performance exhaust ? absolutely NOT, but action is okay if it goes beyond limits!

Government will run out of money if they have to regulate every single event, people should use their common sense to stay out of trouble.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 10:41   #19
BHPian

I live on the 7th floor. There is a service lane outside our condo wall. I can hear wailing Bullets during the day -- crossing into Badshapur village. They are loud, and the echo reverberates in closed confines with cement walls. Not sure if these were modified exhausts or normal. But they are loud.

If this is being done, same should be done for those modified halogens which create clear-light-of-day during the night, and almost blind the cars in front.

To be honest, blinding halogens are more dangerous and a nuisance vs. loud exhaust notes.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 12th December 2017 at 10:42.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 10:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I for once am happy.
And as I try to catch some sleep, everyday morning at around 5:30am - 6:00am there used to be this bloke on RE taking his bike out, kick starting, revving his engine to warm it up
One needs to experience this to understand. My blood boils when my neighbor starts his bullet in the morning or on a Sunday afternoon. I feel my whole house will vibrate and fall off someday.

In the wee hours and late nights these exhausts sound atrocious. I am glad the cops are doing away with these exhausts.

Every time I see an RE with the stock exhaust producing the subtle muted thump I wish that person well for not annoying fellow motorists.
rajathv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 11:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I for once am happy. I always wondered why does the Royal Enfield have such horribly loud exhausts. I instantly recall those days, when I used to reach home late after navigating Bengaluru traffic. And as I try to catch some sleep, everyday morning at around 5:30am - 6:00am there used to be this bloke on RE taking his bike out, kick starting, revving his engine to warm it up and go to a nearby park for his morning jog. Everybody in the narrow bylane, old and young were simply annoyed.

That always made me wonder. Is RE allowed to have such exhausts? Or have they manipulated exhausts in test bikes to pass ARAI tests (like Chevy did with Tavera)? Or have they come around the system using some trickery?

Sorry RE fans, but I find the exhaust note obnoxiously loud and irritating.
Stock Royal Enfields do not make racket, today.
Enfields are coming with long silencer for many years now - these mufflers are based on environmental norms for loudness.

It is only the "Bullets" of yore that came with short silencer (I think known as bottle or Madras) that was loud. Today, people generally remove the stock long silencer and put on the short one to get that loud noise. Some people put goldie silencers that are even louder. And some put the dreaded rocket silencer that will wake the entire neighborhood.

Long story in short = Royal enfield bikes come with stock silencer that is as quiet as any other bike.

Last edited by alpha1 : 12th December 2017 at 11:16.
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 13:41   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The cops seriously need to do this on Carter Road in Mumbai. The bikes are ridiculously loud, especially on the weekends and evening time around Rizvi college area. It is a big hindrance to residents.

I wish Mumbai police takes note of this and takes some action.

Is there an email address one can reach this out to the local Mumbai police ?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 14:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I wish Mumbai police takes note of this and takes some action.
Hi Sahil,

A similar drive against noisy aftermarket exhausts (and horns) was conducted in Mumbai earlier this year. Here's a link:

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumb...w/56786803.cms

Contact details of the Mumbai Traffic Police are as follows:

022-24940303
cp.mumbai.jtcp.traf@mahapolice.gov.in
Mumbai Traffic Police Headquarters, Sir Pochkhanwala Road, Worli, Mumbai 400030.

Hope this helps
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 14:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Good job by the police. These imbeciles who ride with modded silencers and exhausts are the worst scum on earth. They probably think some pretty damsel will fall for their heroics if they have a bike which breaks wind loudly.

Nothing short of such an action by the cops will deter more nutcases from joining the brigade and doing this in the future.
Aptly put Sir. This is turning to be a big menace. I wish a similar drive is taken up in Hyderabad. I did request the police authorities via facebook page many months back but will report it again.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 15:18   #25
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2017 at 16:36.
varoon9999 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th December 2017, 15:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
I feel my whole house will vibrate and fall off someday.
Now this is too much exaggeration man.

While I agree to the fact that many of the after market exhausts for RE make a racket and are too loud, it also turns out to blind bashing of RE as if only REs make noise.

I bet people haven't seen those console-less and silencer-less Honda Dios and Activas with green/blue/red/pink/purple projectors running amok on roads. Imagine the racket created when you remove a silencer and revv a scooter/bike. All those Pulsars with obnoxious ear deafening silencers being ridden like a maniac create more racket than a RE.

Ever heard a group of HOG riders with after market exhaust arriving? The racket is enough to shake the entire earth (if I may exaggerate )

Go to NH8 on Sundays. You will get your weekly quota of racket there in one day. (P.S Before sbk owners pounce on me, I like aftermarket sbk exhausts, they are music for my ears, specially you Jap owners)

I do welcome the move by police to fine such people, however this needs to be implemented for all kinds of 2-wheelers as RE is not the only one which makes noise. As with all other threads, people blindly turn out to single out and start bashing REs (like police fine RE, people bash on its unreliability, completely unrelated terms)
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 15:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post

I do welcome the move by police to fine such people, however this needs to be implemented for all kinds of 2-wheelers as RE is not the only one which makes noise. As with all other threads, people blindly turn out to single out and start bashing REs (like police fine RE, people bash on its unreliability, completely unrelated terms)
Bangalore traffic police are indeed not showing their love only for RE's. I have seen they stop a RX as well for the racket it was making. Just that RE's mostly are the ones which have the aftermarket silencers.

I also want them to look into the disco lights(or whatever those are called) which is used as headlights in some two wheelers.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 15:53   #28
BHPian

While I agree that the drive against modified and after market exhausts is very relevant, the fact that they crushed it on camera seems to me that this was more of a publicity stunt in order to generate a video which hopefully goes viral.

Bangalore Traffic Police has been indulging in them more and more, since they got new social media team, with various photo-ops etc.

What happens if someone sues the traffic police department saying they had gotten no modification done? Is the traffic police culpable for destruction of evidence. And who has authorised the use of road roller for this purpose. Don't they have crushers?

For all these reasons, seems to me there is a lot more focus on theatrical than action.
Old 12th December 2017, 16:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
While it is accepted by most people that these loud exhausts are a nuisance, what right do the traffic cops have to damage someone else's property?
Are we saying the environment is biker's property to spoil freely? When they are spoiling the environment which is NOT their property with so very high level of freedom, what is wrong if Police /Government spoil these bikers property because this is polluting the mother earth?

And if Police is doing this with so much of publicity, I am confident that they have legal approval to do so. Else, they wont invite trouble in indulging such activities. (My opinion only)

Last edited by gkveda : 12th December 2017 at 16:26.
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 16:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

One point to note, RE's have slip ons, thats one of the main reason why people go ahead and change the exhaust, it's a 5 min job.
rakesh_r is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks