Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 10:01   #1486
Senior - BHPian
 
djay99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,446
Thanked: 479 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Picked up THH helmet from Megha (near lalbagh) for my wife as we bought a scooty zest recently.
This is DOT certified and costed me 2.5K. Looks a bit big but is light in weight when compared to my KBC VR Laguna helmet.

Also picked up a gliders lid for my kid (2.5 Years old). Costed me 400.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20141019_190932optimized.jpg
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 11:14   #1487
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
Any specific reason you want the Vega?
Its Indian. Its ISI and DOT certified. It looks well made. Good finish. Nice inner lining. Nice beading. Visors should not be a problem to find later on for replacement. And would not cost a bomb (both the helmet and the regular replacement visors). Ditto for inner liner, cheek pads, if needed (when they get compressed and go loose).

I am to decide between the all white one and the Red Bull one. The others are too busy graphics-wise.

I have never owned or worn an imported helmet in 20+ years of riding. As long as India continues to make decent well priced helmets, I do not see a reason to change that trend now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The axor looks great. But my standard concern whilst buying these Indian made helmets remain - the sizing

Apparently, the smallest in can go in an axor is 58 cms. My head circumference comes in at just under 56 cms. All the certifications in the world don't mean diddly when the helmet does not fit right
My above browline head circumference is around 58 cms. I was initially planning to buy the Studds Shifter, but some complaints about the inner google ratchet mechanism going bad, and the fact that the Vega had the additional DOT certification (which you explained was not a big deal - but at least its there), shifte the decision in Vega's favor.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 12:35   #1488
BHPian
 
Silverflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Madras
Posts: 132
Thanked: 119 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Its Indian. Its ISI and DOT certified. It looks well made. Good finish. Nice inner lining. Nice beading. Visors should not be a problem to find later on for replacement. And would not cost a bomb (both the helmet and the regular replacement visors). Ditto for inner liner, cheek pads, if needed (when they get compressed and go loose).

I have never owned or worn an imported helmet in 20+ years of riding. As long as India continues to make decent well priced helmets, I do not see a reason to change that trend now.
Fair enough. I wore a Vega for years until my biking break between 2008-2012 when I moved to Gurgaon, was pretty happy with it.

When I went out looking for a new helmet after moving back to Madras, I found the MT. Felt better than my old Vega, wasn't as expensive as HJC or AGV or Arai but felt just as good. Didn't think about replacement visor and lining availability though. I just assumed that the store I bought it from would have them since it seemed really well stocked with MT helmets.
Silverflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 12:51   #1489
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
Didn't think about replacement visor and lining availability though. I just assumed that the store I bought it from would have them since it seemed really well stocked with MT helmets.
See that's the thing. Most of these bike gear stores (as against those old type ones we had earlier and which are still around specializing in helmets mainly) keep flipping helmet brands. Like the flavor of the season. Today its this that's the hottest one on the block, tomorrow its another. Once they stop keeping the brand, the visors are at the bottom of their priority / attention list. I cannot change a helmet every time my visor goes bad. Hence I prefer my helmet to have a plentiful and assured supplied of visors, and visors that do not make up the cost of the helmet itself within the first few replacements. At least that's the way I think because I do a lot of riding at night, and headlights really bother me. The Vega visor costs 150 bucks incidentally. Or maybe 250. Either way its not as much as some of these fancy imported brands.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th October 2014 at 13:05.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 13:26   #1490
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
Photos of my MT Axiss matte black helmet.
I suggest you stick some reflective tape on the sides and on the rear portion of the helmet.

Research shows that black and grey tend to blend into the background making it unsafe for bikers while yellow and such other bright colors keep riders visible to other motorists.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 13:48   #1491
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,523
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
Fair enough. I wore a Vega for years until my biking break between 2008-2012 when I moved to Gurgaon, was pretty happy with it.

When I went out looking for a new helmet after moving back to Madras, I found the MT. Felt better than my old Vega, wasn't as expensive as HJC or AGV or Arai but felt just as good. Didn't think about replacement visor and lining availability though. I just assumed that the store I bought it from would have them since it seemed really well stocked with MT helmets.

MT helmets are sold by Spartan Pro gear who are based in chennai. So getting a replacement visor and inner padding won't be an issue at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
See that's the thing. Most of these bike gear stores (as against those old type ones we had earlier and which are still around specializing in helmets mainly) keep flipping helmet brands. Like the flavor of the season. Today its this that's the hottest one on the block, tomorrow its another. Once they stop keeping the brand, the visors are at the bottom of their priority / attention list. I cannot change a helmet every time my visor goes bad. Hence I prefer my helmet to have a plentiful and assured supplied of visors, and visors that do not make up the cost of the helmet itself within the first few replacements. At least that's the way I think because I do a lot of riding at night, and headlights really bother me. The Vega visor costs 150 bucks incidentally. Or maybe 250. Either way its not as much as some of these fancy imported brands.

I agree with you doc. Take the case of Spartan Pro Gear who were selling SOL and switched loyalty to MT helmets. The SOL helmet owners are now left high and dry WRT visors and liners. Who knows ,another couple of years down the line they may stop selling MT also. And they are least bothered about what will happen to the existing customers as long as their cash registers are ringing
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 13:54   #1492
BHPian
 
vikast_ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 41
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

A helmet is an important and personal choice, especially since you’ll spend hours trapped inside it, sweating. The more educated a purchase you make, the happier you will be in the end. Nice step-by-step guide - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmet-guide
vikast_ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 14:01   #1493
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
MT helmets are sold by Spartan Pro gear who are based in chennai. So getting a replacement visor and inner padding won't be an issue at all

I agree with you doc. Take the case of Spartan Pro Gear who were selling SOL and switched loyalty to MT helmets. The SOL helmet owners are now left high and dry WRT visors and liners. Who knows ,another couple of years down the line they may stop selling MT also. And they are least bothered about what will happen to the existing customers as long as their cash registers are ringing
Funny you should mention the example on the top of my mind but left unsaid. DSG is another one famous for keeping on changing brands.

For them its a matter of changing vendors. Where they get maximum margin.

But the bottom line is that the customers who bought helmets of the replaced brand are now left high and dry trying to arrange for replacement visors.

I have seen this hapening so many times with fellow riders that it is not even a debateable point.

I actually pointedly aske this 2-3 times very directly to one of the Spartan dealers in Pune (will not name who!). The discomfort on his face was a sight to be seen. In the end he admitted that if/as long as they (Spartan) are selling the brand, he would be responsible for arranging for the visors.

Translation: Once we change the brand, you are on your own!
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 14:32   #1494
BHPian
 
Silverflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Madras
Posts: 132
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
See that's the thing. Most of these bike gear stores (as against those old type ones we had earlier and which are still around specializing in helmets mainly) keep flipping helmet brands. Like the flavor of the season. Today its this that's the hottest one on the block, tomorrow its another. Once they stop keeping the brand, the visors are at the bottom of their priority / attention list. I cannot change a helmet every time my visor goes bad. Hence I prefer my helmet to have a plentiful and assured supplied of visors, and visors that do not make up the cost of the helmet itself within the first few replacements. At least that's the way I think because I do a lot of riding at night, and headlights really bother me. The Vega visor costs 150 bucks incidentally. Or maybe 250. Either way its not as much as some of these fancy imported brands.
To make sure I don't run into a visor issue later, do you think it wise for me to purchase a couple of spare visors and a set of spare lining right now and put it away for when I need it? I absolutely agree that I do not want to be changing helmets every time my visor needs replacement - the amount of highway time I spend on the bike, I need visors that don't impair my vision by diffusing the lights coming at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I suggest you stick some reflective tape on the sides and on the rear portion of the helmet.
Research shows that black and grey tend to blend into the background making it unsafe for bikers while yellow and such other bright colors keep riders visible to other motorists.
Could you tell me a little more about why this is important? I mean, I understand why the bike needs to be visible, and I also understand why if the rider gets thrown from the bike the riding gear you wear needs to be visible.

But if your gear and the bike are visible, what difference does the helmet's color make? If I'm riding in the night with no lights on the bike, I need a new brain before I need brighter helmet, IMHO.

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th October 2014 at 15:00. Reason: Merging posts
Silverflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 15:00   #1495
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,007
Thanked: 6,043 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
But if your gear and the bike are visible, what difference does the helmet's color make? If I'm riding in the night with no lights on the bike, I need a new brain before I need brighter helmet, IMHO.


I agree with you. If your bike has reflective material and your gear is also has sufficient reflective material its not really needed to even have the helmet doused with same material

It's just the case of being over cautious. Some do it, some dont

Sometimes it's funny to read some tips that are shared here and riding gear thread where people dwelve into smallest and the most insignificant details too
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 15:21   #1496
BHPian
 
Piyadassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NCR Delhi
Posts: 48
Thanked: 53 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I cannot change a helmet every time my visor goes bad. Hence I prefer my helmet to have a plentiful and assured supplied of visors, and visors that do not make up the cost of the helmet itself within the first few replacements.
This also ends my search for helmets. Vega Axor that is. Thanks Doc.

Plagued exactly by the (in)significant problems of the hot shot brands as mentioned by you.
Piyadassi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 16:33   #1497
BHPian
 
AlokSriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremont
Posts: 482
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Picked up a modular Shark Evoline 3 ST MoovUp medium size last week. Fits great, and is very comfortable. Is DOT as well as ECE approved - hope don't ever need to test the true capabilities

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141020_160101.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141020_160144.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141020_160155.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141020_160223.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141012_155101.jpg

Since my 5 year old is super-excited with a new (and first) bike at home, had to pick one for him too - though it's a pity I could find only one helmet which could really fit his head. Since I don't see him riding pillion too often, and mostly within the apartment complex, I settled for a Studds (as if I had a choice )

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141020_160328.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141020_160319.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141020_160337.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141020_160351.jpg

Reflective strips are add-ons by him..

PS: For bikers in Delhi/NCR, Rev'It has its authorised retail store on Mehrauli Gurgaon Road - highnoteperformance.com. What I liked about this store was the fact that one is able to find genuine product, at a fairly reasonable price (viz a viz USD).
Disclaimer: I am not associated with this store, nor do I have any stake in it.

PPS: Picked up a pair of riding boots too - will be posting in riding gear thread shortly.
AlokSriva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 16:46   #1498
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
But if your gear and the bike are visible, what difference does the helmet's color make? If I'm riding in the night with no lights on the bike, I need a new brain before I need brighter helmet, IMHO.
If you're wearing gear with reflective material, then you're covered at least to some extent on the risk part. But how many actually ride with reflective jackets and pants all the time?

A trip to the grocery store may not warrant full gear but that's when and where the helmet can save you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sometimes it's funny to read some tips that are shared here and riding gear thread where people dwelve into smallest and the most insignificant details too
I don't get what is funny about this to you. I'm yet to see someone go haha hehe to the hospital.

It's these small things that prevent mishaps however insignificant it may seem to you. Research findings are backed by data ; debunking them doesn't make the data insignificant or stupid.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 16:50   #1499
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
do you think it wise for me to purchase a couple of spare visors and a set of spare lining right now and put it away for when I need it?
I would pick up at least one in spare. And be very careful with the one on the helmet currently. I heard these visors are a thousand bucks each or thereabouts .....

Quote:
Could you tell me a little more about why this is important? I mean, I understand why the bike needs to be visible, and I also understand why if the rider gets thrown from the bike the riding gear you wear needs to be visible.

But if your gear and the bike are visible, what difference does the helmet's color make? If I'm riding in the night with no lights on the bike, I need a new brain before I need brighter helmet, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post


I agree with you. If your bike has reflective material and your gear is also has sufficient reflective material its not really needed to even have the helmet doused with same material

It's just the case of being over cautious. Some do it, some dont

Sometimes it's funny to read some tips that are shared here and riding gear thread where people dwelve into smallest and the most insignificant details too
Helmet visibility is not only about riding at night. In fact far from it. Equally if not more so it is about long distance visibility in the daytime.

Try spotting a rider in your rear view mirrors with a dark colored helmet.

Now try the same with a bright / light colored one.

In fact, more often than not the rider bulk and the bike bulk merge into a single whole while on the move to the human eye. Front or back on the color of the bike hardly if ever makes a difference.

Its the helmet which remains the most visible unit. Unless you're wearing a flaming yellow jacket as well ......

Its about visible wavelengths, and its scientifically proven which bands the human eye can make out over the longest distances (white, yellow, orange).

Thats why all safety/hazard gear is bright yellow or orange in color. Ditto beacons, flags, tents, etc.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th October 2014 at 16:56.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 16:59   #1500
BHPian
 
Silverflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Madras
Posts: 132
Thanked: 119 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I would pick up at least one in spare. And be very careful with the one on the helmet currently. I heard these visors are a thousand bucks each or thereabouts .....

Helmet visibility is not only about riding at night. In fact far from it. Equally if not more so it is about long distance visibility in the daytime.
Try spotting a rider in your rear view mirrors with a dark colred helmet.
Now try the same with a bright / light colored one.
Its about visible wavelengths, and its scientifically proven which bands the human eye can make out over the longest distances (white, yellow, orange).
Thats why all safety/hazard gear is bright yellow or orange in color. Ditto beacons, flags, tents, etc.
That's an interesting perspective from which to view the helmet coloring issue. Nobody has really explained it before this, so thanks for taking the time to do so.

I'm still not convinced, mind you, but I'm not entirely skeptical either. I'm aware of certain colors being harder to spot from a distance than others, but I didn't think that a helmet's visibility would make as much difference as the visibility of your lights, on-bike reflectors or riding gear. Food for thought, for sure. Maybe I'll supplement my wife's and my current helmets (both matte black) with white or chromed or brightly colored ones.

Thanks again!
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips to drive better: But are the tips correct? Spinnerr Technical Stuff 11 22nd June 2009 13:00
Need Help/Tips in Buying Used Lancer in Hyderabad rajatkumar Sedans 11 19th February 2008 17:15
Tips needed for buying a Used Zen mithun Hatchbacks 12 30th August 2007 01:56
Secondhand Avenger buying tips realmumbhai Motorbikes 7 28th September 2006 09:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:16.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks