Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 23:28   #1636
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 688
Thanked: 747 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post

Coming back to Sharp though, I personally find it difficult to understand the testing methods (as you said - unclear) and therefore unsure of whether high Sharp ratings should be given equal importance as a DOT/ECE/Snell.

The one thing is - I really wouldn't differentiate between a Sharp rating of 3 vs 5 - I don't understand the measure!
Yup, that's what I said in earlier post - the ratings are not fully objective, what we're left with is to interpret the colors as green = no injury , yellow = minor impact felt , and so on, until red/black = severe injury.

Another interesting observation - left and right scores are not all identical : some helmets have left side rated (say) green, right side yellow. Asymmetric scores should be a clear indication of inconsistent quality.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 19:38   #1637
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 79
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

500 KMs report on the MT Axxis. The more I use the helmet, the more comfortable it gets of course. I think it's breaking in nicely and is fitting my head quite well at this stage. Very light weight, snug fit, the breath deflector keeps fogging at bay most times and I have taken out the cheek pads to clean - easy to clean and refit. The helmet does not or at least, has not been prone to buffeting in the wind, and I ride a naked without a flyscreen. No pressure on the neck whatsoever during my rides so far.
For the not so nice things, the list topper is the fact that when I put it on, it sometimes ends up scratching my forehead on the right side. I got it the first time I was putting it on, which left a scar and now I'm extra careful, but it still does that. Need to find the offending part and maybe clip it with scissors.
Would've like to have better peripheral vision too. I know it's a full face helmet and that range of peripheral vision in a FF helmet will never be equal to that without one, but this feels kind of like wearing horse blinkers at times. Maybe I'll get used to it.
The other main grouse is the wind noise and ventilation. This was discussed in the riding gear thread as well and seems to be due to poorly designed ventilation inlets. Even closed, the vents let in air. I also heard a squeaking noise coming from the right side today in moderate speeds. Nothing I can't live with, but it does irritate at times.
Also found a couple of examples of poor finish on the shell when I was cleaning it, which again are not prominent and can be lived with. This was disappointing to find - for the amount of money paid, I would expect better quality from an international brand. Well, it seems quality in India means import.
AnkurS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 19:54   #1638
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,644
Thanked: 3,842 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Ricci, I am off from riding gear scene, but have heard Bell to be damn good.

BTW, which make and model are you considering? Does someone sell Suomy/Shoei?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 21:44   #1639
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 688
Thanked: 747 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Ricci, I am off from riding gear scene, but have heard Bell to be damn good.

BTW, which make and model are you considering? Does someone sell Suomy/Shoei?
I haven't decided yet on any brand or model as yet, but among Shoei , my current preference is for GT-Air. I also liked some the Qwest, RF1100, RF1200, and X12 series. Among Suomy, none of the graphics really clicked for me. Not in a hurry to buy - funds for one and the MT is quite new. Schuberth seems to be one of the most underrated makes.

Yes, Bell helmets are quite nice, but like any brand, different models are rated different and can have some sizing differences.

www.sbkstore.in sells Shoei, Arai, Suomy , Bell and others, including AGV, Nolan/Xlite, Schuberth, Shark, Airoh , Scorpion, Speed and Strength.

Performanceracing.in sells mainly Arai , AGV.

Last edited by Ricci : 25th January 2015 at 21:48.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 19:03   #1640
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 758
Thanked: 1,044 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Guys, I'm looking for a good pair of gloves in XXL size for myself in Bangalore. Shouldn't be too costly, and must be reasonably priced, comfortable and have a good grip. Nevermind the brands. I just want something decent enough to invest. Please list down the details of the vendor too. Do advise!
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 21:11   #1641
BHPian
 
killjoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 646
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Regarding SHARP , I can't be sure but tests need not be done on the same helmet for all 4 zones.
Snell rating is what most motorsports associations adhere to including FIA and FIM

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th February 2015 at 22:51. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for a short reply. Thanks!
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 21:11   #1642
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Guys, I'm looking for a good pair of gloves in XXL size for myself in Bangalore. Shouldn't be too costly, and must be reasonably priced, comfortable and have a good grip. Nevermind the brands. I just want something decent enough to invest. Please list down the details of the vendor too. Do advise!
Check out 'Let's gear up' in HSR layout. They have something called TBG which appears decent (3-4 K). DSG, Cramster, Rynox, Aspida (Spartan), Rjays etc. etc fall in 2-4 K budget. All are more or less same in terms of quality and have similar discomfort issues, but bearable and you can use them for couple of years or so depending on how much you ride.

On higher end anything above 5K I do like HD for their touring gloves, Knox is awesome, surprisingly a few A* models are good, Joe Rocket, Scorpion, Revit, Icon etc. etc. All are available online.

Usually its good to try out and buy. Be careful though and check the pair thoroughly for feel on the finger tips, it shouldn't hurt in between nail and skin (very common problem). And the dye shouldn't leak onto your hands because of sweat. They're tough to get rid of for couple of days.

Some sizes like XXL, Small or XS are difficult to find in shops, do check on phone before you go.

Happy hunting
rakesh_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 21:33   #1643
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 79
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Guys, I'm looking for a good pair of gloves in XXL size for myself in Bangalore. Shouldn't be too costly, and must be reasonably priced, comfortable and have a good grip. Nevermind the brands. I just want something decent enough to invest. Please list down the details of the vendor too. Do advise!
Can't tell you coz its a personal fit that'll matter most. Like Rakesh said, make sure it's comfortable when you try it on. At the cost of repetition:
- a gauntlet will typically be more comfortable on long rides, say about 3+ hours of non-stop riding
- I personally prefer light padding but strong abrasion resistance on the palm. For me, medium / heavy padding on the palm tends to lead to pulling on the fingertips of the hand, thereby making things painful. This is especially true for the clutch hand
- try to make sure the protection on the 1st knuckles is flexible. Hard protection will hurt the knuckles in traffic conditions
- leather would be a preferred option for gloves. In my experience, leather usually is more supple and comfortable and has good abrasive resistant qualities.

In terms of cost, a leather gauntlet may be available from 2.5k onwards. For short riding, a short glove will be a good option too.

I use two different gloves, a short textile for city rides and a leather gauntlet for longer rides. Let us know what you end up choosing.

BTW - probably better suited to the riding gear thread

Last edited by AnkurS : 3rd February 2015 at 21:34.
AnkurS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 21:58   #1644
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 758
Thanked: 1,044 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
Check out 'Let's gear up' in HSR layout. They have something called TBG which appears decent (3-4 K). DSG, Cramster, Rynox, Aspida (Spartan), Rjays etc. etc fall in 2-4 K budget. All are more or less same in terms of quality and have similar discomfort issues, but bearable and you can use them for couple of years or so depending on how much you ride.

On higher end anything above 5K I do like HD for their touring gloves, Knox is awesome, surprisingly a few A* models are good, Joe Rocket, Scorpion, Revit, Icon etc. etc. All are available online.

Usually its good to try out and buy. Be careful though and check the pair thoroughly for feel on the finger tips, it shouldn't hurt in between nail and skin (very common problem). And the dye shouldn't leak onto your hands because of sweat. They're tough to get rid of for couple of days.

Some sizes like XXL, Small or XS are difficult to find in shops, do check on phone before you go.

Happy hunting
Let's Gear Up was always an option for me. They're the reputed ones in this segment, but then I wanted to try other vendors too. Not going for online shopping on this one as XXL is a rarity, and thus scouting for one will be a major headache. I'll update you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
Can't tell you coz its a personal fit that'll matter most. Like Rakesh said, make sure it's comfortable when you try it on. At the cost of repetition:
- a gauntlet will typically be more comfortable on long rides, say about 3+ hours of non-stop riding
- I personally prefer light padding but strong abrasion resistance on the palm. For me, medium / heavy padding on the palm tends to lead to pulling on the fingertips of the hand, thereby making things painful. This is especially true for the clutch hand
- try to make sure the protection on the 1st knuckles is flexible. Hard protection will hurt the knuckles in traffic conditions
- leather would be a preferred option for gloves. In my experience, leather usually is more supple and comfortable and has good abrasive resistant qualities.

In terms of cost, a leather gauntlet may be available from 2.5k onwards. For short riding, a short glove will be a good option too.

I use two different gloves, a short textile for city rides and a leather gauntlet for longer rides. Let us know what you end up choosing.

BTW - probably better suited to the riding gear thread
I'll going for a gauntlet most probably. It satisfies my requirements. I'll discuss more about this with you privately.
No short gloves for me. Always followed the coveted (and logical) rule of riding with full gloves, because I'm riding a motorcycle and not kickboxing.

Note : Mods, do be kind enough to publish my query and their replies to the 'Riding Gear' thread as I posted on this thread by mistake, having not read the thread title properly. My bad.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 17:08   #1645
BHPian
 
Mafioso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Guys need help! I have bought a MT Axxis helmet couple of months back, and it seems to be solving every purpose. However, I would like to replace the clear visor with tinted or iridium visor. Which one is better? I have heard iridium ones are prone to scratches and not so useful in the night riding conditions as compared to tinted ones.

Where can we get these visors and how much would they cost approximately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
2. Its noisy at high speeds. It will scare you to go above 80 sometimes

3. The cheek pads take time to break, and your ears would be pressed against them, and not enclosed within. Keeping earphones will be painful

>> I get ear pain with MT Axxis helmet. The pain was so bad on a long ride that I was forced to take breaks in between. I think it is because of the shape of MT Axxis - not curvy on sides.
I do not face ear pain with AGV or LS2.

[/b]
Ah! Till date, I was thinking something was wrong with my ears or helmet . I have a MT Axxis and off late have been having terrible ear pain. On a recent ride to coorg, especially on the way back , I had to stop every hour as the pain was unbearable! Now I understand the reason for the same. Hope the cheek pads break in soon.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th February 2015 at 18:27. Reason: Merging back to back post.
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 18:20   #1646
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,085
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post

Where can we get these visors and how much would they cost approximately?
I got it from Megha Enterprises in J.C road along with the helmet. I think I paid around Rs. 400 for the extra tinted visor.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 19:19   #1647
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Now in Bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Guys, any idea where we can get the chin curtain for a helmet? Or some jugaad?
naveenroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 20:07   #1648
BHPian
 
Mafioso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I got it from Megha Enterprises in J.C road along with the helmet. I think I paid around Rs. 400 for the extra tinted visor.
Thank you! Since you have got it, can you please let me know the visibility during the night times within city limits ofcourse
Mafioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 10:52   #1649
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,085
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Thank you! Since you have got it, can you please let me know the visibility during the night times within city limits ofcourse
The visibility is good with tinted visor in the night. Not great as plain one, but manageable. Go for it if you do ride mostly in the sun, once you are used to tinted visor in the sun it is difficult to go back to plain one.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 22:16   #1650
BHPian
 
msrsooraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 77
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Guys need help! I have bought a MT Axxis helmet couple of months back, and it seems to be solving every purpose. However, I would like to replace the clear visor with tinted or iridium visor. Which one is better? I have heard iridium ones are prone to scratches and not so useful in the night riding conditions as compared to tinted ones.

Where can we get these visors and how much would they cost approximately?
MT Axxis helmets are brilliant and i own one myself. Tainted visors loose their coating over a certain period of time. And it clearly saves you the trouble of having to use an sunglass inside the helmet. Particularly if you are wearing a balclava (seriously, get one of those too). So a tainted visor are really good. But DO NOT use them at night. MT helmets like various other helmets have a convenient way to remove and attach another visor with zero effort so frequent changing of visors should not be a problem. I vaguely remember reading something about carrying two visors while on long journeys. Will send you the link if I can find it.

Now, MT does not have exclusive replacement visors in the market as of now. But ask for CROSS helmet visors which will cost about INR 700 give or take a few 100 bucks. They are a perfect replacement.

Ride safe.

Last edited by msrsooraj : 6th February 2015 at 22:33.
msrsooraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips to drive better: But are the tips correct? Spinnerr Technical Stuff 11 22nd June 2009 13:00
Need Help/Tips in Buying Used Lancer in Hyderabad rajatkumar Sedans 11 19th February 2008 17:15
Tips needed for buying a Used Zen mithun Hatchbacks 12 30th August 2007 01:56
Secondhand Avenger buying tips realmumbhai Motorbikes 7 28th September 2006 09:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks