Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2015, 13:58   #1846
BHPian
 
b16h22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 108
Thanked: 100 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Hey guys, I have booked an Avenger Street 150 recently.
I need to buy a new helmet. It should be stylish, safe, affordable, full face and preferably black.
Budget is upto 2000 rupees. Max 2500.
Please do help me out with some links or model names.
Thanks in advance.
Vega axor is the only DOT certified helmet in that price range afaik. Please stretch your budget to at least 3.5-4.5k. You'll get much more options like MT, KYT, LS2, Kranos etc. Kranos is DOT and ECE certified and costs only 3.7k. You don't want to skimp on the safety of your head, do you?
b16h22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 15:48   #1847
BHPian
 
Divya Sharan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 314
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Bhpians from Bangalore, could you kindly enquire in any of the famous shops in JC or at LGU whether they have a transparent/slightly tinted visor for the SOL Metalman? Can't seem to find one here or even online.

Thanks!
Megha Enterprises had them a while back. I got mine for 1100 rupees. (SOL MM2)
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 16:50   #1848
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,207
Thanked: 1,057 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Bhpians from Bangalore, could you kindly enquire in any of the famous shops in JC or at LGU whether they have a transparent/slightly tinted visor for the SOL Metalman? Can't seem to find one here or even online.

Thanks!
I remember the "Lets gear up" guys in Bengaluru stocking these. Priced similar to what Divya Sharan has mentioned above, but shipping is extra
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 12:03   #1849
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I wanted a good helmet in the range of 1.5 to 2k for pure city commute. Visited a store & bought a Studds Shifter matte black. The helmet looks & feels premium in this price range. The padding is thick enough & removable also. The helmet has dual visors; one clear & one tinted. It cost me 1800 ₹ which is 200 ₹ less than online stores.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-image.jpeg  

TheRajput is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 09:51   #1850
BHPian
 
rohan_cherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 34
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Finally bought my first DOT certified helmet! I looked at various options from LS2, MT and SOL out of which LS2 was immediately rejected since the other two felt better. Ended up getting a SOL (Model name is SM-1)
Hey Aman,
I really like your helmet! Have a question though.
The SOL website lists the SM-1 as a modular helmet but yours doesn't quite look like a modular helmet. Do you mind checking?

http://www.solhelmets.com/en/product...php?G0=3&G1=27

I've been trying to get a look at the MT Blade, but the dealers here in Navi Mumbai don't stock MTs due to unavailability of spares.
rohan_cherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 22:27   #1851
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_cherian View Post
Hey Aman,
I really like your helmet! Have a question though.
The SOL website lists the SM-1 as a modular helmet but yours doesn't quite look like a modular helmet. Do you mind checking?

http://www.solhelmets.com/en/product...php?G0=3&G1=27

The way Sol numbering works is that the M in SM-1 stands for modular. So the full face would be numbered SF and not SM . I currently have the SM2 (i.e modular) and I must say the build quality is very good even though its quite pricey.

Last edited by bik1906 : 10th January 2016 at 22:32. Reason: Missed quote end
bik1906 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 22:46   #1852
BHPian
 
amansanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oestrich-Winkel
Posts: 386
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_cherian View Post
Hey Aman,
I really like your helmet! Have a question though.
The SOL website lists the SM-1 as a modular helmet but yours doesn't quite look like a modular helmet. Do you mind checking?

http://www.solhelmets.com/en/product...php?G0=3&G1=27

I've been trying to get a look at the MT Blade, but the dealers here in Navi Mumbai don't stock MTs due to unavailability of spares.
Hey Rohan,
Sorry. That was a typo. My helmet's model number is SF-1. But I don't think the same design is available anymore. SOL keeps the same model number but keeps changing the designs with time. So most likely you wouldn't find the same design now. I luckily found this design and the dealer only had one piece left. Loved it and picked it up
There's a store in Bhandup if you don't mind travelling which keeps helmets. I would suggest picking one up from Andheri or Bandra though as more choices are available here. Good luck with helmet shopping!
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 23:40   #1853
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Hey Rohan,
Sorry. That was a typo. My helmet's model number is SF-1. But I don't think the same design is available anymore. SOL keeps the same model number but keeps changing the designs with time. So most likely you wouldn't find the same design now. I luckily found this design and the dealer only had one piece left. Loved it and picked it up
There's a store in Bhandup if you don't mind travelling which keeps helmets. I would suggest picking one up from Andheri or Bandra though as more choices are available here. Good luck with helmet shopping!

My suggestion is go on facebook and look for SOL Helmets India. This is the indian distributor based out of mumbai and if theres anyone who can help you find a SOL he can. Hes a very responsive guy (not sure of his name) and will message back asap. He couriered my SM2 with no problems at all despite me being worried as I had NEFT transferred the money to him without knowing his reputation. I was pretty much in the same predicament as none of the dealers in bangalore had taken the risk of ordering the SM2 due to its high price.
bik1906 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 00:45   #1854
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,494
Thanked: 2,960 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
I wanted a good helmet in the range of 1.5 to 2k for pure city commute. Visited a store & bought a Studds Shifter matte black. The helmet looks & feels premium in this price range. The padding is thick enough & removable also. The helmet has dual visors; one clear & one tinted. It cost me 1800 ₹ which is 200 ₹ less than online stores.
This is brilliant - looks like a copy of the SOL SF-1 which I recently bought and has the same features !

Is it lightweight? SOL is nice but too heavy for regular neighborhood grocery shopping usage so I'm looking for a secondary helmet as well.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 09:04   #1855
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,908
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Picked up a SOL SF-1 as well few days ago.

I was in desperate need of a new helmet for every reason. The previous one I was using was over 7 years old and used to make me feel like I was inside a generator room when I used it for long rides. I looked like a steam loco driver after a long ride. High speeds meant , my head was automatically moved back few degrees because of the weight of the helmet.
It was a good helmet when it was new , but it was very heavy .

With the new helmet, I was looking for MT, SOL or HJC. Almost all these brands were difficult to find on Lalbagh main road. All of them stocked LS2 and other usual brands. Finally found a store next to MTR restaurant that had a good collection of SOL helmets. After many tries and decisions, decided to go for a matt black SF-1.

Initial impressions, a world of a difference from my old helmet. Perfect fit , comfortable padding, and very muffled inside. The sad part being , I can't hear my Bullet's exhaust clearly now.

High speed is were it truly feels worth it. It was like sitting in a car , which means the actual speeds are not realized. The main criteria for me in a new helmet was lightweight, no wind noise and right fit. Except for weight which I would have liked a bit lesser , all others were met.

Last edited by tharian : 12th January 2016 at 09:09.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 15:02   #1856
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is brilliant - looks like a copy of the SOL SF-1 which I recently bought and has the same features !

Is it lightweight? SOL is nice but too heavy for regular neighborhood grocery shopping usage so I'm looking for a secondary helmet as well.
It weighs 1450 grams.
The maximum I've worn the helmet is one hour at a stretch, but I didn't feel any discomfort. Also when compared with other FF helmets, this had a slight wider range of vision. This combined with premium looks, dual visors & a decent padding made it the perfect choice for city commute in the given price range.
TheRajput is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 15:46   #1857
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,494
Thanked: 2,960 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Picked up a SOL SF-1 as well few days ago.


High speed is were it truly feels worth it. It was like sitting in a car , which means the actual speeds are not realized. The main criteria for me in a new helmet was lightweight, no wind noise and right fit. Except for weight which I would have liked a bit lesser , all others were met.
I somehow find the wind noise to be there. Not anywhere near a cheap studds, but yet clearly audible. Even after taping up every silly vent on the helmet. Not sure what i did wrong but the helmet was really silent on the outward leg of the ride (600km) but I could clearly hear *some* noise on the return.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 16:40   #1858
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,908
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I somehow find the wind noise to be there. Not anywhere near a cheap studds, but yet clearly audible. Even after taping up every silly vent on the helmet. Not sure what i did wrong but the helmet was really silent on the outward leg of the ride (600km) but I could clearly hear *some* noise on the return.
Let me get back to you on this regards.

The first when I wore it and did some decent speeds, there was a light hum which I didn't notice the next time. This was with the vents open. Let me try with all the vents shut.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 17:51   #1859
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,207
Thanked: 1,057 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I somehow find the wind noise to be there. Not anywhere near a cheap studds, but yet clearly audible. Even after taping up every silly vent on the helmet. Not sure what i did wrong but the helmet was really silent on the outward leg of the ride (600km) but I could clearly hear *some* noise on the return.
A big factor in the helmet noise is how the helmet fits you. Its obvious a helmet that does not fit you well will have "gaps" between your head / cheeks and the helmet liner / cheekpads, causing a lot of wind noise. However, another often ignored factor is the helmet shape vs your head shape. Taking the example of SOL helmets, most of them are kind of round and if you had (say) an oval head shape, the helmet will be noisy. The reason is simple, the helmet (in the above scenario) will be tighter front to back and will actually have a gap towards the sides of your head. In such scenarios, the "break in can often be a painful process (if for example you have an "aggressive oval" head shape and you put on a round helmet)

I own a Gmax GM 68 (same as the SOL GM 68) and a Bell RS 1. I always thought helmets were noisy and equally so. But I soon found that noise levels in the Bell were substantially lower. Apart from the plush liner material that helps in cancelling noise, the helmet shape matches my head shape (intermediate oval) perfectly. There is zero buffeting even at rather high speeds, whereas my Gmax in a similar scenario feels like its ready to fly off my head. Head checks at speed on my Gmax feels like my neck is about to get ripped off

A good quality, well fitting helmet is not just safer .... it makes riding so much comfier
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 19:29   #1860
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,494
Thanked: 2,960 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
A big factor in the helmet noise is how the helmet fits you. Its obvious a helmet that does not fit you well will have "gaps" between your head / cheeks and the helmet liner / cheekpads, causing a lot of wind noise. However, another often ignored factor is the helmet shape vs your head shape. Taking the example of SOL helmets, most of them are kind of round and if you had (say) an oval head shape, the helmet will be noisy. The reason is simple, the helmet (in the above scenario) will be tighter front to back and will actually have a gap towards the sides of your head. In such scenarios, the "break in can often be a painful process (if for example you have an "aggressive oval" head shape and you put on a round helmet)

I own a Gmax GM 68 (same as the SOL GM 68) and a Bell RS 1. I always thought helmets were noisy and equally so. But I soon found that noise levels in the Bell were substantially lower. Apart from the plush liner material that helps in cancelling noise, the helmet shape matches my head shape (intermediate oval) perfectly. There is zero buffeting even at rather high speeds, whereas my Gmax in a similar scenario feels like its ready to fly off my head. Head checks at speed on my Gmax feels like my neck is about to get ripped off

A good quality, well fitting helmet is not just safer .... it makes riding so much comfier
Damn. Buying a helmet is such a pain in India.

First up - no one has any decent range and everyone just wants to peddle what they have.

Then such technicalities

Any ideas on how to negate the limited wind noise I'm still hearing? If there's any web tutorial in this regard - please feel free to simply point me there!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips to drive better: But are the tips correct? Spinnerr Technical Stuff 11 22nd June 2009 13:00
Need Help/Tips in Buying Used Lancer in Hyderabad rajatkumar Sedans 11 19th February 2008 17:15
Tips needed for buying a Used Zen mithun Hatchbacks 12 30th August 2007 01:56
Secondhand Avenger buying tips realmumbhai Motorbikes 7 28th September 2006 09:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks