Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 07:14   #2026
BHPian
 
torqueunlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 320
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Guys any idea if I can get a clear visor for an old Daijya helmet (probably around 6-7 years old)?

I'm looking for a clear visor for the helmet. Will Marushin visors fit on it? If so, could someone please recommend where I can get one?

Any leads on where and if I can get one? I checked planetDSG but they have a dark smoke one.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imag0659.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th May 2016 at 20:42. Reason: Post moved & edited. Please avoid cross-posting. Thanks!
torqueunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 13:31   #2027
BHPian
 
Mafioso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

>>I used it recently on a trip to Horsley hills. It was not noisy at all, even at triple digit speeds, though not as silent as I expected it to be. I would recommend you to get your helmet checked. I find it better than my MT Axxis. MT Axxis is good with respect to noise, considering the price. I hope the padding of MT Axxis will hold up with usage restricting the noise, unlike LS2 where the padding gave away soon and it became noisy.

>> I get ear pain with MT Axxis helmet. The pain was so bad on a long ride that I was forced to take breaks in between. I think it is because of the shape of MT Axxis - not curvy on sides.
I do not face ear pain with AGV or LS2.
.[/b]
I have been using MT Axxis for over an year. Initially I thought the ear pain would go away after long drives and settling in of the padding, but till now there has been no respite. Last weekend ride to Bandipur was extremely taxing on ears, the outer part of ears hurt like hell and had to take a stop every one hour to relieve the ears of the helmet, I have tried taking the liners off today and washed it! Is there any other solution to this problem? Planning to do Leh Trip in august and I really want to get around this ASAP! I have also noticed that in the last two trips the wind noise above 70KMPH is become very high and there is some air flowing through the front vents even though they are in shut position.

Any help in resolving this would be extremely helpful!
Mafioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 16:04   #2028
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I have been using MT Axxis for over an year. Initially I thought the ear pain would go away after long drives and settling in of the padding, but till now there has been no respite. Last weekend ride to Bandipur was extremely taxing on ears, the outer part of ears hurt like hell and had to take a stop every one hour to relieve the ears of the helmet, I have tried taking the liners off today and washed it! Is there any other solution to this problem? Planning to do Leh Trip in august and I really want to get around this ASAP! I have also noticed that in the last two trips the wind noise above 70KMPH is become very high and there is some air flowing through the front vents even though they are in shut position.

Any help in resolving this would be extremely helpful!
Seems like a wrong head shape trying to fit into a wrong shell shape.

I know you will not get to return the product.
  • What about on the top of the head or on the forehead?
  • Is there any pressure on that or is it just the ears?
  • Have you installed any comm system?
  • Did you wear any ear plugs?
  • Do you wear glasses?
  • Did you shove in sun shades?
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 16:36   #2029
BHPian
 
Mafioso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Seems like a wrong head shape trying to fit into a wrong shell shape.

I know you will not get to return the product.
  • What about on the top of the head or on the forehead?
  • Is there any pressure on that or is it just the ears?
  • Have you installed any comm system?
  • Did you wear any ear plugs?
  • Do you wear glasses?
  • Did you shove in sun shades?

I guess the first point - wrong head shape in wrong shell shape!

Nope, I don't have any comm system, ear plugs or glasses. I do wear sun shades rarely - but even without it the problem was there!

I removed the liners today, hoping to wash it and see if there is any respite on the ear pockets. Else looking at ways to increase the ear pockets or shave off some foam! seems to be the last option else go for a new one - but very less time to break-in before the Leh trip! Really confused with the situation!
Mafioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 17:19   #2030
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I guess the first point - wrong head shape in wrong shell shape!

Nope, I don't have any comm system, ear plugs or glasses. I do wear sun shades rarely - but even without it the problem was there!

I removed the liners today, hoping to wash it and see if there is any respite on the ear pockets. Else looking at ways to increase the ear pockets or shave off some foam! seems to be the last option else go for a new one - but very less time to break-in before the Leh trip! Really confused with the situation!
Except for washing, any other actions (shaving foam, sanding shell interiors) etc would be compromising on the safety.

For such distances, I would recommend - Keep this as your daily commute helmet and get yourself a different brand of helmet. As impractical as I may sound on this one.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 19:17   #2031
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 613
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I have been using MT Axxis for over an year. Initially I thought the ear pain would go away after long drives and settling in of the padding, but till now there has been no respite.

A common but overlooked issue is folding of the ear within the helmet.

I assume you would have ruled this out. Put a finger into the helmet and check if the ear is folded.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 19:39   #2032
BHPian
 
Venku2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Belgaum
Posts: 69
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I have been using MT Axxis for over an year. Initially I thought the ear pain would go away after long drives and settling in of the padding, but till now there has been no respite. Last weekend ride to Bandipur was extremely taxing on ears, the outer part of ears hurt like hell and had to take a stop every one hour to relieve the ears of the helmet, I have tried taking the liners off today and washed it! Is there any other solution to this problem?

Any help in resolving this would be extremely helpful!
I had to face exactly the same situation when I recently bought a Nexx carbon fiber helmet since I got the exact, tight fitting helmet as per my head size.
I tried using a balaclava and voila, the ears do not fold while wearing or removing the helmet and the ear folding/pain issue has diminished. Try getting a snug fitting balaclava, you can get some good ones from Alpinestars or alike.

Last edited by Venku2015 : 16th May 2016 at 19:40.
Venku2015 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 11:04   #2033
BHPian
 
Mafioso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
A common but overlooked issue is folding of the ear within the helmet.

I assume you would have ruled this out. Put a finger into the helmet and check if the ear is folded.
Yes I have done it, ears don't fold they are straight the only problem is the helmet sides pressing against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
I had to face exactly the same situation when I recently bought a Nexx carbon fiber helmet since I got the exact, tight fitting helmet as per my head size.
I tried using a balaclava and voila, the ears do not fold while wearing or removing the helmet and the ear folding/pain issue has diminished. Try getting a snug fitting balaclava, you can get some good ones from Alpinestars or alike.
Well, I have tried this too! I did wear a balaclava for the long ride, but of no help. Only option left is see the fit if it varies post washing the liners, else look for another helmet as a last resort!

Thanks for your suggestions, feels that I'm not the only one with this problem
Mafioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 12:30   #2034
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,605 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Was in the USA for 3 weeks till a week ago and bought a helmet for my son and for myself.

Bought this for my son, cost a little under US$100:

http://www.hjchelmets.com/cl-y/cl-y-solid/#.VzwQZbh97Dc

Got this for myself. After a US$100 discount, the helmet cost me US$ 280 after taxes.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/rpha-10/rp.../#.VzwPn7h97Dc

Both helmets are glossy black and I couldn't find any other colors in stock. I wanted bright colors esp. for myself to improve rider visibility and had decided on a nice florescent yellow Icon Airframe helmet but after trying on the RPHA10, I was sold.

It fits well, the liner feels plush and it is extremely lightweight.

Here is a review from web bike world:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/hjc/rps-10/
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:19   #2035
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,083
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I have been using MT Axxis for over an year. Initially I thought the ear pain would go away after long drives and settling in of the padding, but till now there has been no respite. Last weekend ride to Bandipur was extremely taxing on ears, the outer part of ears hurt like hell and had to take a stop every one hour to relieve the ears of the helmet, I have tried taking the liners off today and washed it! Is there any other solution to this problem? Planning to do Leh Trip in august and I really want to get around this ASAP! I have also noticed that in the last two trips the wind noise above 70KMPH is become very high and there is some air flowing through the front vents even though they are in shut position.

Any help in resolving this would be extremely helpful!
No respite for me as well. I understand your situation, the ear pain is so bad that it is difficult to remove the helmet after long ride. As the padding is thin, there is no chance for much shrinkage and it is same as earlier. I am using the helmet for commute only for a long time.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 23rd May 2016 at 14:20.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:12   #2036
BHPian
 
praveen_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 454
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Yesterday morning, while tightening the visor screw in the my helmet i broke it completely. The screw went inside the casing and into the cushion.
That's when i realized it is time to replace my 5 year old helmet. The brand was Power and was quite good, i had replaced the glass visor couple of time and interior cushion just once.
As my daily commute to office was increased from 25 KMs to 45KMs, i needed a good ventilation helmet.
After checking team-bhp i zeroed in on Steelbird Air. So, yesterday evening while returning from work, went to Helmet paradise and bought it. Shopkeeper showed Vega Crux first and then when i asked for steelbird he showed me the this one. As per him this is the most ventilated helmet available.
My initial impression was "WOW", this miles ahead of my 5 year old helmet. First time i covered the visor, i had touch and see if the glass was there (it was so clear).
It has air inlets near the chin as well as above the head. The air inlet above the head creates a air pocket between head and helmet, from there air flows out through the rear outlets. Pretty neat and simple.
After reaching home, there was no feeling of sweat. Even today in the morning commute, i used sweat a lot in the back lower part of my head, as result i would remove the helmet in the last 500 mts. But in the SBA, felt quite comfortable.

Here is the link of the helmet: http://airhelmet.steelbirdhelmet.com...s/sba-1-glossy

Overall, i would say it's nice especially in the summer and value for money.
I am also looking to "upgrade" my 10yr old helmet and narrowed down on the steelbird air and it looks to be well suited to our tropical summers. I have not checked it out physically yet but can you help answer some queries that will help me finalize?
- How are the vents functioning? Is it really useful or just a gimmick? Can you feel the air flow through these vents?
- What about the whistling noise (With Visor fully Open)? Do you hear whistling noises around 60-70kmph? My current helmet whistles like crazy after 50kmph and I want to get one which has this problem addressed.
- What about the weight of the helmet? Is it comfortable after a 20-30km ride?
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:11   #2037
BHPian
 
gypsyFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore-Bangalor
Posts: 293
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
I am also looking to "upgrade" my 10yr old helmet and narrowed down on the steelbird air and it looks to be well suited to our tropical summers. I have not checked it out physically yet but can you help answer some queries that will help me finalize?
- How are the vents functioning? Is it really useful or just a gimmick? Can you feel the air flow through these vents?
- What about the whistling noise (With Visor fully Open)? Do you hear whistling noises around 60-70kmph? My current helmet whistles like crazy after 50kmph and I want to get one which has this problem addressed.
- What about the weight of the helmet? Is it comfortable after a 20-30km ride?
The air vents are not a gimmick. It really works. Air flow can be felt which in turn reduces the sweating.

Whistling noise, i have not observed the noise. I will check and let you know when i use it next.

Weight of the helmet is quite less. The air flow contributes to make the helmet light headed.

So, in comparison to my previous helmet (without air vents):
* Sweating is reduced
* Feels light weight
* Gives good wind protection

Hope this helps....
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:50   #2038
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gandhidham
Posts: 67
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

With my love for modular helmets got myself this from moto 101. The only 5* sharp rated modular I have seen till date. Very comfy and at 1550gm quite light for a modular too. At 12K Better in every respect to my previous Premier Thesus. Caberg Duke. Now time to make this visible....
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1464016412089.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1464016429148.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1464016450659.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1464016470420.jpg  

mrohit17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 14:50   #2039
BHPian
 
Mafioso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
No respite for me as well. I understand your situation, the ear pain is so bad that it is difficult to remove the helmet after long ride. As the padding is thin, there is no chance for much shrinkage and it is same as earlier. I am using the helmet for commute only for a long time.

Unfortunately, the washing and fixing the liner back, hasn't helped in resolving this. A good lesson learnt to check for this in the next helmet. I wasn't aware of such problems till I had this.
Mafioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 16:04   #2040
BHPian
 
praveen_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 454
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
The air vents are not a gimmick. It really works. Air flow can be felt which in turn reduces the sweating.

Whistling noise, i have not observed the noise. I will check and let you know when i use it next.

Weight of the helmet is quite less. The air flow contributes to make the helmet light headed.

So, in comparison to my previous helmet (without air vents):
* Sweating is reduced
* Feels light weight
* Gives good wind protection

Hope this helps....
Thanks. I will shortly go and check it physically in a shop but nothing beats the inputs from a user who has been using it. Thanks for your inputs.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips to drive better: But are the tips correct? Spinnerr Technical Stuff 11 22nd June 2009 13:00
Need Help/Tips in Buying Used Lancer in Hyderabad rajatkumar Sedans 11 19th February 2008 17:15
Tips needed for buying a Used Zen mithun Hatchbacks 12 30th August 2007 01:56
Secondhand Avenger buying tips realmumbhai Motorbikes 7 28th September 2006 09:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks