Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2017, 19:06   #2296
BHPian
 
Cyborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 369
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I am not sure this is the right place for this query, how did you guys carry your helmet from abroad? Did you check it in your suitcases or as a in-flight carry on?
I got my helmet as a in-flight carry on, no issues at all.

Happy shopping Hiren

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 17th March 2017 at 19:14.
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 20:12   #2297
BHPian
 
rich_heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 28
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Helmet usage and issues

Note to admins: I couldn't find a thread about usage and issues of helmets. The one I saw is for tips of buying a helmet. If you choose, this thread can be merged into that or create a common thread covering both topics. Thanks.

I recently bought MT Blade Max power helmet. During the first long ride using it, I came across a couple of issues.
1. At higher speeds and windy conditions, I felt air moving inside the helmet in such a way to flow across eye and cause distraction and blurring. Is this normal? How to solve this. I tried wearing a balaclava and it helped partially. Is this present in all helmets or something only in this model?

2. The helmet has D loop fastening and it gets tricky to loosen/tighten the belt and removing the helmet without undoing the belt from the loops completely.

3. Is there any headset suited for helmets which can be used even for online calls as well? I already have too many gadgets and charges and I am trying to consolidate them.

4. The sun glare reducing visor attachment is loosely fit and closes down partially when going on bumpy surface. Any solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Rich Heart.
rich_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 20:22   #2298
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 905
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Even if you have a wide enough suitcase, unless it is hard shell I would not recommend, because Check In luggage gets thrown around badly.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Thanks Rachit! That's my fear exactly. I do have a hard shell bag but I don't want to risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Got it twice in my check-in luggage. But, as Rachit correctly pointed out if its a hard shell suitcase it would be better
Thanks mobike!! Hand carry it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I got my helmet as a in-flight carry on, no issues at all.

Happy shopping Hiren

Cheers
Thanks Cyborg! Hand carry seems to be the best option, now will get on the helmet hunt in earnest.
I am keen on getting the Shark Spartan, will keep an eye out for deals.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 21:22   #2299
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,650
Thanked: 7,199 Times
Default Re: Helmet usage and issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
1. At higher speeds and windy conditions, I felt air moving inside the helmet in such a way to flow across eye and cause distraction and blurring. Is this normal? How to solve this. I tried wearing a balaclava and it helped partially. Is this present in all helmets or something only in this model?
Are you sure it is air or is the helmet loose?

Quote:
2. The helmet has D loop fastening and it gets tricky to loosen/tighten the belt and removing the helmet without undoing the belt from the loops completely.
Well thats the way D loops work, small trade off you pay for best protection.

Quote:
3. Is there any headset suited for helmets which can be used even for online calls as well? I already have too many gadgets and charges and I am trying to consolidate them.
Depends on how you want to connect, most of the popular one like Scala and Sena have both AUX or Bluetooth connections to your phone etc.

Quote:
4. The sun glare reducing visor attachment is loosely fit and closes down partially when going on bumpy surface. Any solution for this problem?
See if you can insert some sponge on the assembly to offer little more friction.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 21:36   #2300
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,369
Thanked: 2,964 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

It has now been a little over a year since I learnt how to ride and bought my first bike. Still loving each ride regardless of weather conditions. If there is just one thing I miss from when I used to ferry myself everywhere in a car, it is the option to play music. I do use earphones from time to time but they wiggle around and sound different once the helmet goes on. Are there any good quality stereo speakers that one can buy for their helmet? I use a Nolan X-Lite X802R and it is a pretty snug race fit so something well built and compact would be ideal. I am not interested in a com system or anything like that just want to know what to get for the best sound quality if a communication system is part of the package then all the better but that is not my primary requirement. Just to give you guys an insight into the type of person I am, my preferred earphones are my klipsch image x10s they sound great, are built well and most importantly, are sleek and compact. Any such solution for biking?

Thanks in advance

PS: I apologize if this is a noob-ish question but even after a year of riding there are still a lot of things I am yet to know about.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 21:40   #2301
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,039
Thanked: 731 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
It has now been a little over a year since I learnt how to ride and bought my first bike. Still loving each ride regardless of .
Sena 10s. Get it stateside on amazon and have someone bring it down for you. I have never used it, but research tells me it's one of the most preferred units out there.

Nothing will give you klipsh quality in your lid.. Unless you install your own bose speakers in there from a headset.
Red Liner is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 21:47   #2302
BHPian
 
Rohitj92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 89
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
It has now been a little over a year since I learnt how to ride and bought my first bike. Still loving each ride regardless of weather conditions. If there is just one thing I miss from when I used to ferry myself everywhere in a car, it is the option to play music. I do use earphones from time to time but they wiggle around and sound different once the helmet goes on. Are there any good quality stereo speakers that one can buy for their helmet? I use a Nolan X-Lite X802R and it is a pretty snug race fit so something well built and compact would be ideal. I am not interested in a com system or anything like that just want to know what to get for the best sound quality if a communication system is part of the package then all the better but that is not my primary requirement. Just to give you guys an insight into the type of person I am, my preferred earphones are my klipsch image x10s they sound great, are built well and most importantly, are sleek and compact. Any such solution for biking?

Thanks in advance

PS: I apologize if this is a noob-ish question but even after a year of riding there are still a lot of things I am yet to know about.
I would suggest u to refrain from listening to music while riding, although I have never tried it, I feel it will create problems as you won't be able to listen to your surrounding sounds. Losing concentration is another story.
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 22:24   #2303
BHPian
 
Shanenanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
It has now been a little over a year since I learnt how to ride and bought my first bike.
The Sena 10S or 20S from here or the US is great for the purpose. I use the older SMH10 for music when commuting and when touring it's usually paired with a few people who have similar bluetooth comms for talking while riding. Quite useful that.

Contrary to popular belief, listening to music doesn't really make for distractions, especially if you're used to it while driving.

Edit -

If you want decent SQ, you'll need an Interphone or something of the sort. The bass is non-existent on the Senas and highs are pitchy.

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2017 at 10:27. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Shanenanigans is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 23:27   #2304
BHPian
 
rich_heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 28
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Helmet usage and issues

Thanks for the reply Jaggu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Are you sure it is air or is the helmet loose?
I am pretty sure it is air. Helmet fits pretty tight. I thought over period of time, once cushions shrink, it would be more comfortable. I guess the problem is eddies due to the air flow. I might have to use a wind tunnel with coloured smoke to identify the cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Depends on how you want to connect, most of the popular one like Scala and Sena have both AUX or Bluetooth connections to your phone etc.
Sorry, I was not clear in my requirement. I have in mind a headset which can be used with helmet, mobile phone and laptop.
rich_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 20:58   #2305
BHPian
 
Madhav Nayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Helmet usage and issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
1. At higher speeds and windy conditions, I felt air moving inside the helmet in such a way to flow across eye and cause distraction and blurring. Is this normal? How to solve this. I tried wearing a balaclava and it helped partially. Is this present in all helmets or something only in this model?
I see you ride the RE TB. The RE is a cruiser with an upright riding position. The MT Blade is a helmet designed for sport bikes. By virtue of this, such helmets are meant to be used in a forward lean position and then the airflow sort of takes care of itself. It won't get in your way like it does right now. Helmet education in India is very backward. Maybe someone should make a thread here with the different types, how to recognise them and such information - like a guide to buying the right helmet for different kinds of motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
4. The sun glare reducing visor attachment is loosely fit and closes down partially when going on bumpy surface. Any solution for this problem?
If I were you, I'd get in touch with MT helmets and seek a replacement. This is your head we're talking about and that doesn't sound safe at all.
Madhav Nayak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 23:39   #2306
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,369
Thanked: 2,964 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sena 10s. Get it stateside on amazon and have someone bring it down for you. I have never used it, but research tells me it's one of the most preferred units out there.
Yeah I have heard a lot about the brand mostly on motovlogging channels but all the reviews seem to jsut talk about each headsets features and specs I wish there were more in-depth reviews on SQ from a listening to music POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
I would suggest u to refrain from listening to music while riding, although I have never tried it, I feel it will create problems as you won't be able to listen to your surrounding sounds. Losing concentration is another story.
Well I have always played music while driving my car and it has never been any issue for me. Infact even talking over hands free bluetooth has never caused any issues in terms of distracting me. I am the kind of guy who keeps a constant lookout in his ORVMS anyway and both on my bike and in my car it is essential that they are properly adjusted before I set off. Besides, people recoomend earplugs while riding since the noise from windblast is pretty high so why not listen to music Anyway the way I see it these kind of things vary between different people I personally know of a few people who find it hard to drive properly if music volume is turned up. Rest assured I won't be causing any mishaps due to my love of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
If you want decent SQ, you'll need an Interphone or something of the sort. The bass is non-existent on the Senas and highs are pitchy.
Thanks for the recommendations I will look into senas but yes my primary focus is good SQ. Forgive me for the noob question but what is an Interphone? A type of technology or is it another brand?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th March 2017 at 23:41.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 23:53   #2307
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Thanks for the recommendations I will look into senas but yes my primary focus is good SQ. Forgive me for the noob question but what is an Interphone? A type of technology or is it another brand?
Check out Be-Link Headphones and this

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 27th March 2017 at 23:57.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 00:47   #2308
BHPian
 
rich_heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 28
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Helmet usage and issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhav Nayak View Post
I see you ride the RE TB. The RE is a cruiser with an upright riding position. The MT Blade is a helmet designed for sport bikes. By virtue of this, such helmets are meant to be used in a forward lean position and then the airflow sort of takes care of itself. It won't get in your way like it does right now. Helmet education in India is very backward. Maybe someone should make a thread here with the different types, how to recognise them and such information - like a guide to buying the right helmet for different kinds of motorcycles.



If I were you, I'd get in touch with MT helmets and seek a replacement. This is your head we're talking about and that doesn't sound safe at all.
Thanks Madhav_Nayak,
If you have such information, please do share here. Although TB is technically not a cruiser, I agree to your point. It has upright riding position. Also, can you share an example of full face helmet for cruisers, especially an MT one? I will try to see if I can get a suitable replacement.

Besides this, will attaching a windshield help in altering direction of air flow?

Regards, rich_heart.
rich_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 01:00   #2309
BHPian
 
djpeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 603
Thanked: 735 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sena 10s. Get it stateside on amazon and have someone bring it down for you. I have never used it, but research tells me it's one of the most preferred units out there.

Nothing will give you klipsh quality in your lid.. Unless you install your own bose speakers in there from a headset.
I have both the 10S and the SMH10. Overall, I have to say that sound quality is loads better on the 10S, while the Smh 10 is by far the easiest to use and has the best battery life I've ever seen.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1490642929508.jpg

Briefly used the 20S and it was hopeless. The battery life was awful and the microphone was worse than the Smh 10. Returned it (in the US) for the 10S, primarily because the mount of the 10 and the 10S are interchangeable.

The controls on the Smh 10 are far more intuitive. On the 10S, you need to find the Centre button. On the 10, it's far more intuitive. Thus it's easier to make speed dial calls as well as change the track (for music), thanks to the jog dial with the clickable Centre.

If you need a detailed review, let me know.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 06:11   #2310
BHPian
 
Madhav Nayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Thanks Madhav_Nayak,

If you have such information, please do share here. Although TB is technically not a cruiser, I agree to your point. It has upright riding position. Also, can you share an example of full face helmet for cruisers, especially an MT one? I will try to see if I can get a suitable replacement.



Besides this, will attaching a windshield help in altering direction of air flow?



Regards, rich_heart.

I just went through MT helmet's catalogue and they claim that the Blade helmet is good for any riding use. Might I suggest you play around with the position of the helmet a little to see if you can alter the airflow? With the brow vents as high as they are, I don't see air going through them in an upright position, but you never know. Engineers these days are akin to magicians, so it might just work. Personally, unless I wear my helmet in a particular way, I don't get enough airflow or get air blowing in the wrong parts of my face. Only worn in the correct way do I get proper use of my helmet.

In any case I shall attempt to suggest alternatives. Well, I can't be sure about this but I think the Mugello and Matrix helmets might do well in an upright riding position, although I'd peg even these as race derived helmets. I recently saw reviews for the Revolt Tourismo which seems like a perfect helmet for upright positions. HJC has brilliant touring helmets but I don't know what your budget is. Also, motocross oriented helmets could work, though on the TB they just won't look good. MT has a dual sport helmet called Synchrony... Although I'm not sure they sell it in India. Another good option is helmets from Studds. These are purely street helmets and can't be taken to the track. I can't comment on their performance over 100kmph, but I've found them to be good uptil 100kmph and I've survived a crash in one. The studds scorpion and rhyno helmets are good upright helmets.
Madhav Nayak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips to drive better: But are the tips correct? Spinnerr Technical Stuff 11 22nd June 2009 13:00
Need Help/Tips in Buying Used Lancer in Hyderabad rajatkumar Sedans 11 19th February 2008 17:15
Tips needed for buying a Used Zen mithun Hatchbacks 12 30th August 2007 01:56
Secondhand Avenger buying tips realmumbhai Motorbikes 7 28th September 2006 09:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks