Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 13:53   #1051
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,391
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Please buy a helmet that has DOT, SNELL or ECE certification.
What are those? I always looked for ISI all these Years!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 13:59   #1052
BHPian
 
m.shekhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Troy, NY
Posts: 64
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What are those? I always looked for ISI all these Years!
These are stringent international quality standards for helmets.
DOT is from a US organisation while ECE is Europe based.

For more info, go through this - DOT, ECE, SNELL
m.shekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 14:40   #1053
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Now in Bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What are those? I always looked for ISI all these Years!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
These are stringent international quality standards for helmets.
DOT is from a US organisation while ECE is Europe based.

For more info, go through this - DOT, ECE, SNELL
Yeah and the helmets most of us are discussing here only carry the DOT, ECE or Snell rating logos. So in case of a crooked traffic cop (har! har!), you might have to end up explaning why your helmet doesn't have an ISI mark.

But better protect the head better with an non-ISI helmet than those cheap stuff with a fake ISI mark.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 14:52   #1054
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,391
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But better protect the head better with an non-ISI helmet than those cheap stuff with a fake ISI mark.
Cheap stuff? How come? Studds, Steelbird, Vega ....have been good enough all these years! And they are not fake, merely Indian brands. Hence comparatively cheaper!

Fake helmets are those sold on the roadside platforms!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 14:54   #1055
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Now in Bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Cheap stuff? How come? Studds, Steelbird, Vega ....have been good enough all these years! And they are not fake, merely Indian brands. Hence comparatively cheaper!

Fake helmets are those sold on the roadside platforms!
And thanks for jumping the gun there. Yes, I did mean fake cheap stuff with a fake ISI mark.

And yes, I also own a Vega helmet.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 12:52   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,605 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I would still go with DOT or SNELL certified lids.

Who knows what shortcuts and oversight issues were present while making these ISI certified lids? Not that I am degrading the vega's and other brands but I'd rather look elsewhere where quality checks are stringent.

These Indian brands may be good for city use but I'm definitely not convinced if they meet safety norms considering today's high speed bikes.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 15:59   #1057
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,391
Thanked: 831 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

^^Boss, if one is going to fall at 100 KMPH, it does not matter what he falls from! Whether a Hero Honda or a Ninja, the effect will be the same! IMO good brand Indian helmets such as Vega will be very effective. Sure, the imported helmets will be of a better quality, more stylish and due to import duty, more pricey as well. But as per letter of law, you can still be booked by a traffic cop if you are not wearing an ISI certified helmet!

It is a different matter that they don't catch someone even when he wears a Rs 150.00 fake helmet!

Whatever helmet we buy, it should be replaced the moment there is an impact to it, even though there is no visible damage. It need not be a crash; even if it falls off from a height such as a shelf, it should immediately be replaced. A Vega will pinch a lot lesser than an imported one.

Last edited by Gansan : 13th November 2013 at 16:07.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 19:53   #1058
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 158
Thanked: 82 Times
Post re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I would still go with DOT or SNELL certified lids.

Who knows what shortcuts and oversight issues were present while making these ISI certified lids? Not that I am degrading the vega's and other brands but I'd rather look elsewhere where quality checks are stringent.

These Indian brands may be good for city use but I'm definitely not convinced if they meet safety norms considering today's high speed bikes.
Actually ISI is indeed a good standard, but what makes the standard ersatz is the non standardization of the helmet with respect to the law. And Gansan is absolutely right, you can still be ticketed for not wearing an ISI certified helmet.

I've had many friends of mine who have been ticketed just for the same reason, especially in Kerala, where cops are real stringent about this.

Of course, DOT, SNELL, ECE are all top of the line tests, but you wouldn't want your helmet crushed by the bare palm of your hands with those certifications which can be easily done by the ISI lids sold roadside and for that matter sold inside glass shelves.

Ultimately, it comes down to ones own discretion, as to what he rides and what he wears. But you're right, if one can afford a bike close to a lakh, why can't they afford a good helmet with good approval. Again no helmet is 100% fool proof to protect one's noggin, but why take the risk.

In India LS2 is the best helmet with good quality (provided it's a genuine one) at an affordable price, and the Vega AXOR series, anything less iin Vega series is pretty much... well...

I've recently been eyeing on this helmet.

LS2 FF-358 (Inflatable Cheek Padding, Dual ECE:22.01 and ISI certification)
Available since Aug 2011, Rs 4,995 Onwards

Be prepared to redefine 'Snug Fit' with a product that can be tailored to your face. The all new LS2 FF-358 now offers Inflatable Cheek Padding, which allows you to fit the Helmet just right for your own face. This product is being offered with a dual ECE 22.01 and ISI certification in India.

Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 10:27   #1059
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,605 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^Boss, if one is going to fall at 100 KMPH, it does not matter what he falls from! Whether a Hero Honda or a Ninja, the effect will be the same! IMO good brand Indian helmets such as Vega will be very effective. Sure, the imported helmets will be of a better quality, more stylish and due to import duty, more pricey as well.
Maybe or maybe not. I have a friend who hit a block of concrete in the middle of the highway at triple digits, last year. Apart from body pain and minor nicks, he was perfectly fine. Nothing broken on his person, all thanks to his full riding gear and a DOT certified AGV lid. The gear did its job really well but was shredded since he scraped and slid for some distance.

I'm not saying Vega's are not safe. I'm only saying I am not convinced if they will keep the rider safe at those speeds on the highway.

That said, it depends on luck too and an imported helmet also may not be able to save the rider sometimes. I'm only saying that I'm mentally more at peace with an international certification. I'll use an ISI lid for the city if i have to but will rely on the imported ones for the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But as per letter of law, you can still be booked by a traffic cop if you are not wearing an ISI certified helmet! Whatever helmet we buy, it should be replaced the moment there is an impact to it, even though there is no visible damage. It need not be a crash; even if it falls off from a height such as a shelf, it should immediately be replaced. A Vega will pinch a lot lesser than an imported one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
And Gansan is absolutely right, you can still be ticketed for not wearing an ISI certified helmet.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th November 2013 at 10:28.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 09:00   #1060
Senior - BHPian
 
parrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Thane - Mumbai
Posts: 1,239
Thanked: 5,665 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Got the Cirus Monster Energy helmet yesterday, from Thane. (Sunshine helmet shop)
Cost : Rs. 4100/- (A H Helmets was giving it away for Rs. 3800, but travelling to Andheri from Thane would have cost me a little more than that Rs. 300 discount.

The fit is slightly on the loose side for me, will have to wear a balaclava for the desired snug fit.

Name:  Photo 151113 8 49 50 am.jpg
Views: 12364
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  Photo 151113 8 50 07 am.jpg
Views: 12311
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  Photo 151113 8 50 28 am.jpg
Views: 12253
Size:  89.4 KB
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 09:14   #1061
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,391
Thanked: 831 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

In a way I am glad about the availability of all these snazzy helmet designs, for they make them objects of desire and I see a lot of youngsters wearing helmets these days. I have a couple of nephews who wear them because they think it makes them appear cool!

Whatever the inducement, it is the end result that matters!
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 10:06   #1062
Senior - BHPian
 
parrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Thane - Mumbai
Posts: 1,239
Thanked: 5,665 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Whatever the inducement, it is the end result that matters!
And this is not just at the high end helmet market, even the relatively cheaper helmets costing around a thousand bucks now have good graphics / designs and definitely make it a must have for college going boys.

Agree on the looking cool part
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 20:30   #1063
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 158
Thanked: 82 Times
Post re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Got the Cirus Monster Energy helmet yesterday, from Thane. (Sunshine helmet shop)
Cost : Rs. 4100/- (A H Helmets was giving it away for Rs. 3800, but travelling to Andheri from Thane would have cost me a little more than that Rs. 300 discount.

The fit is slightly on the loose side for me, will have to wear a balaclava for the desired snug fit.
Nice buy Parry's. As long as it is an approved one, your head is protected than most buckets sold elsewhere. Graphics are a must and snazzy graphics are indeed the right the way to induce the young to mid-aged customer. As time goes on, they'll settle into more normal ones.

Impresionism is a big factor and that's how everything works.

Congrats Parrys, if you can add some snaps of the interior of the helmet that'd be real great.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 23:20   #1064
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 164 Times
Default re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

After a lot of consideration i have recently picked up two helmets.

Arai Quantum F (Myself) Size L
Shoei Raid 2 (Mrs.) Size S

The main thing in mind was better quality than indian makes.
Quietness.
Lightness.

The Shoei comes with a Pinlock system.


will post some pics.
desideep is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 23:36   #1065
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 158
Thanked: 82 Times
Post re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
After a lot of consideration i have recently picked up two helmets.

Arai Quantum F (Myself) Size L
Shoei Raid 2 (Mrs.) Size S

The main thing in mind was better quality than indian makes.
Quietness.
Lightness.

The Shoei comes with a Pinlock system.

will post some pics.
Oh boy, that's a big dent to the pocket. Keep us posted, and if you can please do post some snap shots of the inside of the helmet, if you can. Thanks.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips to drive better: But are the tips correct? Spinnerr Technical Stuff 11 22nd June 2009 13:00
Need Help/Tips in Buying Used Lancer in Hyderabad rajatkumar Sedans 11 19th February 2008 17:15
Tips needed for buying a Used Zen mithun Hatchbacks 12 30th August 2007 01:56
Secondhand Avenger buying tips realmumbhai Motorbikes 7 28th September 2006 09:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:11.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks