Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th January 2007, 05:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Talking Why it's advisable to have coloured helmets or stickers on helmets ?

I'v always heard advices recommending to purchase coloured helmets or helmets with colourful flourescent stickers when selecting a helmet since the rider will be easily visible to other motorists.

But I'm wondering about the feasibility of these ideas since if the rider and his 2-wheeler is not-at-all visible to another driver on the road, then how will the rider and his 2-wheeler will become perceptible only because of the coloured helmets ? So in that type of scenarios, does a black helmet serve the same purpose as a coloured helmet ??

During the night/dusk, we usually rides with the headlight or pilot lights respectively, so what's the use of flourescent stickers on the helmet ?

Help me to clear up my mind....
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 07:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

It is not just flourescent stickers that matter but the fact that they have to be reflective ones. Being so will help identify a motorist even with the slightest ray of light especially when it is very dark. You can always have a black helmet with reflective stickers on it and that should be good enough for other vehicles to identify you when their light beams hit you from behind. Hope this helps.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 08:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Even small bits can help...

A rider with bright helmet and reflective stickering, and a light coloured jacket is much more easier to spot at night, than say, a guy riding a bike with black jackets/helmets...
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 09:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

my bike is all black i have a black and silver helmet and normally where a black jacket.

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 10:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
my bike is all black i have a black and silver helmet and normally where a black jacket.
Street hawk, style, ha???
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 11:45   #6
BHPian

even i have a black pulsar and I prefer wearing jackets and helmets which has reflectors i dont prfer leather jackets cause they are usually black.
Also its a very good idea to wear helmets with reflecters on it cause in rainy nights the visbility is really poor.
chilled_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 13:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

A biker should make himself visible as much as possible , add refelective stickers to sides,and back of the helmet, aslo put refelective stickers on the bike as well .
This is my helmet ..
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 15:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

Helmets with reflective stickering are indeed helpful to other motorists.
There may be possibilities when ur tail light bulb my fuse, and in such circumstances, these helmets or light colored jackets go a long way in indicating the biker's presence on the road.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 15:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
A biker should make himself visible as much as possible , add refelective stickers to sides,and back of the helmet, aslo put refelective stickers on the bike as well .

Sometimes night condtions are very bad, and drivers in cars have dirty windsheilds, bad headlights and not very well functioning wipers. Reflective stickering is probably the best defensive safety mechanism you have at night. It catches the smallest bit of light and lights up very prominently, which will definitely alert others to your road presence.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 15:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
This is my helmet ..
Hey Black 12 rr, that's the same GP one style that I have. Just that I have a clear visor and wear sunglasses. I find that useful for night riding.

Superavi
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 15:45   #11
BHPian

"motorcyclist best defence,see and be seen"
Black bike,black clothing,black helmets and candle lights on front and rear is somehting like a stealth bike and 'nearly' invisible to others.so its advisable to wear/stick something which is reflective,the catch here is not coloured helmets,some colours are dark,wear something is bright in colour helps proper visiblity for other motorists.
hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 16:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

Yup, it is important to be seen rather than see...this can be easily achieved by having a colorful helmet and probably a bright colored biking suit. I got a black helmet but got it all jazzed up by getting it stickered all through...its now pretty much colorful
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
Hey Black 12 rr, that's the same GP one style that I have. Just that I have a clear visor and wear sunglasses. I find that useful for night riding.

Superavi
That picture was when i had black visor ,now i have clear on it and the black on the other GP one .I have 2 GP one helmets and 4 clear and 1 black visor

Last edited by black12rr : 9th January 2007 at 16:52.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote