Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd February 2007, 15:33   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdreams View Post
the 220 is a bit 2 hyped...We actually say how Good it is Only after the 1st service and not before that..
Hi streetdreams !
theres this guy from pune who owns P220 and has the first servicing done.
if you check XBHP you will be able to find a thread of about more than 20 pages now , on his P220 and his experiences with it.
chilled_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 12:31   #17
BHPian

Exclamation

Why is this largely unavailable as of now? I want it, and would actually pay for a test ride!!

Are there any issues that are being sorted out by Bajaj?

I'm not very cluey about this, but the 220 shares the same block as the 180 and 200 right? Would the thinner walls on the cylinder (because of the increased displacement assuming the stroke stays unchanged) cause any problems in you guys' expert opinions?
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 12:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Smile P220-First Impressions

Last night a friend called asking whether I wanna see the P220, after getting a nod from my better half, we went down where the steed & the owner(I realised I knew him as well lol) along with my friend were standing..

here is a what I felt about the bike

- The bike looks big

- The riding posture is really good, this was a pleasant surprise for me because I didn't like the riding posture of the V2s as they felt too short to me after the V1 & ZMA. The seat is very comfy too

- The self check is nice :-)

- The bike revs really well, gears shifts are slick & precise(guess what the low fuel lamp acts as a shift light too :-D)

- The bike seemed like a good handler in the little spin that I had (another friend who has ridden another p220 says it handles very close in fact slightly better than ZMA)

- The brakes as expected are very good in fact I could feel the difference here quite noticeably i.e. much better than zma

- The headlights are mind blowing, the low beam is projection & has an awesome spread, in fact the owner complained that even when he is on low beam people flash him for dipper . Just like ZMA the headlights are on battery now but if you dont start the bike withing few seconds of switching the ignition on, they go off.. don't remember if this happens for the pilots or not.. oh & did I mention the pilots look wicked :-D

- The engine revs good & has far less vibrations than what pulsars i have ridden had but it doesn't have the smoothness or zma at higher revs but its not very bad either..

- The self was good & yes again better than what i am used to for a pulsar..

- The digi console is a charm & feels futuristic. But a clock like zma would have made it complete

- Both the turn indicator light on console & neutral light are green & its very confusing.

Overall I enjoyed the bike in the little spin that I had..

Now the question is would I trade my ZMA for it ??

Well the answer is tough to give because this is a very competitive piece of machinery in fact better in terms of technology(as in FI rear discs etc etc) well need to know how it performs on highways & if it does better than the ZMA then probably yes but on 2nd thoughts no I would still stick around for future upgrades, am getting greedy now after riding the P220 :-D

Hope the review was help full, shoot if you have any queries & will try to answer as much as I can :-)

Cheers

Kedar
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 13:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

Neat impression Techno. One of the riders on the Amby valley ride had the P220. He seemed really happy about the handling, and it also looked like it was a good handler.

Quote:
- The riding posture is really good, this was a pleasant surprise for me because I didn't like the riding posture of the V2s as they felt too short to me after the V1 & ZMA. The seat is very comfy too
yup. I hated the seat/riding position of the previous Pulsar. And I would have thought that this would be the same, as the tank and basic frame is retained. good to hear its not!

Quote:
- The bike looks big
You think so? I don't like that fairing. Looks too "aftermarket" for me. The Karizma has a far better overall stance than the P220. Also, if you look at the finishing of the parts, they don't look upto the mark. The handlebars look fairly cheap, and that tank just looks too small with that fairing. Same goes for that end can.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 13:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hehe I saw the bike at midnight prolly thats why I liked the looks

But trust me the bike is a lot better than what you would expect froma pulsar

btw was the p220 red, were they RSA guys??
Old 13th March 2007, 13:15   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
btw was the p220 red, were they RSA guys??
yup. They had RSA plastered over the other bikes. I forgot the P220 owners name, but he said he also owned a CBR 954.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 14:58   #22
BHPian

One question - most reviews of the 220 i've read complain about the bike not feeling as fast as it is. IMO that's a function of great design, a powerful engine coupled with a competitive chassis.

So why is it a sore point? The new bike has better road manners, so much the better! Why is it a bad thing? Your views...

PS - keen because I'm planning on one of these
Old 13th March 2007, 15:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
yup. They had RSA plastered over the other bikes. I forgot the P220 owners name, but he said he also owned a CBR 954.
Ok, he was rohit paradkar aka rash_rp, the 954 was the same one which has one the fastest wheelie in this speed run

This guy is an awesome rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
One question - most reviews of the 220 i've read complain about the bike not feeling as fast as it is. IMO that's a function of great design, a powerful engine coupled with a competitive chassis.

So why is it a sore point? The new bike has better road manners, so much the better! Why is it a bad thing? Your views...

PS - keen because I'm planning on one of these
Dont know even I have mixed feelings there is patch in front of my house where i reved the P220 & I could do 86 on odo & which I thought was ok but today morning I could do same stretch at 100 on my ZMA but the biggest diff is that while on P220 I didnt have a helmet & it was night though a well lit road but proly subconsioulsy I was carefull & hence the less speed or may be the bike I dont know.. Need to check it for long run..

If luck is on my side I would be riding the P220 on Chakan track & then proly I can give a better review vis-a-vis the ZMA
Old 13th March 2007, 15:27   #24
BHPian

^ Thanks technocrat. Will wait for the hands-on from you. Any case a new PC upgrade means this will wait till 1st week of June. Hopefully first batch of teething probs can be ironed out by then!! Wishful thinking indeed...
Old 17th April 2010, 10:33   #25
BHPian

I have owned a p220 fi for 2 years now, and i must say i have been very very disappointed with the bike. Some of the problems i have faced are as follows:

1) engine oil leaks from the start (every pulsar has it. I used to look at other bikes during servicing)

2) After 2000-3000kms the engine and gear box gets very very rough.

3) Plastic bits start to vibrate and make noise from the day after you buy the bike.

4) Handling is below par, you have no idea whats happening in the front wheel. you have no feel or feedback from the front.

5)Overall build quality is not good at all.

6) quality of parts used is below acceptable levels.

7) Front handlebar bearing design may be flawed. Have had 2 handle bearing changed in 13,000kms. I suspect the recommended bearings are too inadequate for the front heavy p220.

And lets not even start with the new DTSi 220, with its many many quality issues. The starter motor, handlebar fasteners etc.

I would rate this bike a 5.5/10

If anybody wants detailed information on owning a 220, then just message me. :-)
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 19:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I have owned a p220 fi for 2 years now, and i must say i have been very very disappointed with the bike. Some of the problems i have faced are as follows:

1) engine oil leaks from the start (every pulsar has it. I used to look at other bikes during servicing)

3) Plastic bits start to vibrate and make noise from the day after you buy the bike.

4) Handling is below par, you have no idea whats happening in the front wheel. you have no feel or feedback from the front.

7) Front handlebar bearing design may be flawed. Have had 2 handle bearing changed in 13,000kms. I suspect the recommended bearings are too inadequate for the front heavy p220.

And lets not even start with the new DTSi 220, with its many many quality issues. The starter motor, handlebar fasteners etc.

If anybody wants detailed information on owning a 220, then just message me. :-)
Seen the same with my friend's P200, but dint expect it on the more expensive P220.

Hope the performance compensates for the reliability issues.

How well do u maintain your bike?
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 15:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:

I've owned a 220 Fi for a little over 2 years now. I've clocked about 52.5K kms in this time.

I would attribute most of your issues to a below par service station.

1 - I do not have any "major" engine oil leak issues, just a little escapes out if I am using synthetic oil and am ripping the bike at above 100kmph for 5-6 hours.

2 - You need stop using the crap service centre engine oil. which is cause of the hard gear box. Shift to a better quality oil like Valvoline/Motul and see the world of a difference.

3 - The only plastic that actually vibrates from day 1 as you put it, is the fairing. That is because of a design flaw. But its not like you can't do anything about it, if you would have searched around the Indian forums for this bike you would have come across the two way tape solution for these vibrations. My bike has Zero fairing plastic vibrations thanks to double sided tape.

4 - Did you expect racetrack level handling from a bike that is primarily meant to go in a straight line. Handling if defined by cornering performance, then definitely the bike is much behind the likes of R15/ZMA/RTR. But when it comes to straightline handling (which is what 90% of people do 90% of the time with their bikes) is pretty good. Especially the highspeed stability.

5 - Define build quality? You get what you pay for!

6 - ?? How and what is acceptable levels.Please provide some examples.

7 - The cone set is soft on this bike, normal usage means that it needs to changed every 12-15K kms. You are riding in more then normal conditions, bad roads, etc.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 16:15   #28
BHPian

@Grafin: I do maintain my bike quite well. I am not a rough rider who revs his bike unnecessarily and i rigorously follow the maintenance schedule.

@Praful:

1) I started getting oil leaks from the 2nd week of bike ownership. If i were to ride above 100 for even more than half a minute, i get serious oil leakages.

2) I do not use the engine oil provided by the service centre, i regularly use "Castrol". Is Valvoline or Motul better than castrol? if so i would surely shift... whats your opinion and advice?

3) That is my point, when u buy a new bike you do not have to do something about anything to fix up a new bike. And hence the complaint. It was an annoyance to me and every person considering buying a P220 should know about it and be prepared for it so i put it down on this forum.

4) I never claimed i wanted race track handling. What i was expecting was something at par with the karizma at least. And by no means is a karizma a race track bike, it is a bike to be used on a daily basis in cities and on highways. 90 % of people may only go on a straight line, but what about the handling requirements avoiding an obstacle on the road? what about good handling when the road is wet? test ride the karizma, u will know what i mean.

5) I surely did not get what i paid for. i paid more than a karizma and got a bike with less build quality and handling characteristics than a karizma. the HH karizma is the benchmark of this segment, and thats what i was comparing it with. am not comparing it with a fantastic handling, high build quality overseas import.

6) Quality of parts in my case has been the Handle bearing assembly which i have had to change twice in 13,000kms. the chain and sprocket assembly parts, the plastic switch gear parts, the quality of the paint, again comparing to the karizma.

7) In india bad roads are a part of life. to claim that bad roads across india do not fall under "normal conditions" would mean that us people who live in non-metro cities will have our warranties void for driving on normal National highways not well maintained? that does not make sense what so ever. Some amount of bad roads are part of india and manufacturers like Honda, yamaha and hero honda are aware of this, and their products are upto the challenge. Then why should it be an excuse of Bajaj?
Old 27th April 2010, 12:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
@Praful:

1) I started getting oil leaks from the 2nd week of bike ownership. If i were to ride above 100 for even more than half a minute, i get serious oil leakages.

Please post a pic of the location of the oil leaks. This is seriously either a big issue or a non-issue, please provide pics and then lets see the cause.

2) I do not use the engine oil provided by the service centre, i regularly use "Castrol". Is Valvoline or Motul better than castrol? if so i would surely shift... whats your opinion and advice?

Castrol is more like craptrol, Castrol does not last more than 200 kms on my bike. Valvoline is definitely very VFM and lasts for about 2-2.5K kms. Motul is expensive, but I feel its worth it coz it lasts 5K kms easily. I'd say shift to Valvoline, if you don't mind paying more then go for Motul 300v fully synthetic.

3) That is my point, when u buy a new bike you do not have to do something about anything to fix up a new bike. And hence the complaint. It was an annoyance to me and every person considering buying a P220 should know about it and be prepared for it so i put it down on this forum.

Like I said before, its better to set your expectations right. Its Bajaj after all they have been in the bike industry for just about an decade compared to about four decades for everyone else. I agree we pay huge sums of money for their products, but this is Bajaj quality. They are improving but at a slow pace. I think I've just learned to live with it.

4) I never claimed i wanted race track handling. What i was expecting was something at par with the karizma at least. And by no means is a karizma a race track bike, it is a bike to be used on a daily basis in cities and on highways. 90 % of people may only go on a straight line, but what about the handling requirements avoiding an obstacle on the road? what about good handling when the road is wet? test ride the karizma, u will know what i mean.

I've ridden the Karizma and 220 back to back in varying conditions from hills, highways to even the tracks. I would 110% agree with you when you say that the Karizma handles better around corners, but the 220 is not half as bad either. Try riding both bikes on windy highways and you will know why my previous 90% of 90% statement was made.
About obstacle avoidance, well I guess you found the Karizma better due to its much more progressive braking and thus easier obstacle avoidance.

5) I surely did not get what i paid for. i paid more than a karizma and got a bike with less build quality and handling characteristics than a karizma. the HH karizma is the benchmark of this segment, and thats what i was comparing it with. am not comparing it with a fantastic handling, high build quality overseas import.

You did not pay extra for handling and build quality, you paid extra for the sheer amount of torque this bike has to offer and resultant joy of riding a torque monster and you paid extra for Fi unit. Today's Carb 220 is cheaper than I Karizma AFAIK!

6) Quality of parts in my case has been the Handle bearing assembly which i have had to change twice in 13,000kms. the chain and sprocket assembly parts, the plastic switch gear parts, the quality of the paint, again comparing to the karizma.

Yes, totaly true the part life is much much higher on the Karizma no doubt on that. But they also cost considerably more, when you see an overall picture the P220 with its faster parts replacement intervals still costs a lot cheaper after a few years of ownership.
Switch gear quality is pretty good, I don't think I have ever come across anyone complaining about switch gear going kaput, and I do interact with a lot of 220 owners.

Let me just add that the Karizma is not that solid on build quality either, plastics are of below par quality and suffers from high altitude sickness and a few other things.

7) In india bad roads are a part of life. to claim that bad roads across india do not fall under "normal conditions" would mean that us people who live in non-metro cities will have our warranties void for driving on normal National highways not well maintained? that does not make sense what so ever. Some amount of bad roads are part of india and manufacturers like Honda, yamaha and hero honda are aware of this, and their products are upto the challenge. Then why should it be an excuse of Bajaj?

You just mentioned that the roads in your particular area are extremely bad and hence the point of bad roads. The cone set is soft and is changed every 15K kms approx. that falls within service schedules and costs about 200-300 bux. Don't see this as big as a problem!!

Lastly, please stop comparing the quality of Honda (Hero Honda is basically Honda), Yamaha to that of Bajaj. 40years > 10 years.
Find my comments in bold above!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 11:37   #30
BHPian

@ Praful:
Ok lets stop this bickering. The point is i am not happy with this bike and it seems u are. And that is perfectly fine as we are all entitled to our opinions. The positive out of this is that the readers get views and ideas on both side of this bike, both the positives and negatives.

But i just have one request to you, please do compare bajaj with the other major players in the market like honda and yamaha and HH as after all they are all in this market and if the other companies can come up with great quality products then so should bajaj if they are going to sell their products in this market. The sooner bajaj can bridge the quality gap between themselves and their japanese rivals, the better it will be for bajaj themselves as it will guarantee their survival in the domestic market.

by the way praful how old are u? am guessing below 24?