Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd January 2007, 18:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi: Intial owner reviews...

Guys...

Found some reviews... Thought i'd share it with you guys...

Source Motorcyclist At Large: The Review: Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi

Quote:
Yes, I rode it. The 220, that is. And I'm remiss on the riding impression. So here goes. First of all, the two big questions.
  1. Is it impressive?
    Oh yes it is. Very much so. Without a doubt, it gets my vote for the best motorcycle in the country today. Overall. I still have a couple of bones to pick with it....
  2. Karizma beater?
    What's a Karizma? You mean that little yellow speck in my fold-away, fairing-mounted, shapely mirrors?
Now for the guts and glory bits, eh?

Mechanically speaking
This is easily the most well-engineered Bajaj bike yet. It has an almost disappointing Honda-like civility. It's not as noisy as the older Pulsars. And you could keep a coin on the tank and rev it to the moon (or rev limiter, whichever is earlier) without aforementioned coin sliding off. Gears snick into place with minimal fuss, the clutch take up is very progressive. Despite trying, I could not trick the gearbox into missing a shift, had no trouble finding neutral and it all worked just the way it should.

Performance
Which is why the bike (as I said) didn't leave me as excited as I could have been. It's too civil. Not that I want a harsh, vibey old thing, but that its too smooth in its power delivery. You almost don't notice the speed. Not until I found a helpfully aggressive chap (220? Bajaj? Pchah! Race lagaayega?) on the aforementioned yellow Karizma did it become emphatically obvious how fast the thing really is (all usual disclaimers against racing on streets apply. Only did it because of the lack of space - to ride - and time - owner was getting itchy).

On its own, the digital tacho shows perpetually climbing numbers, the sounds rise a bit, the scenery blurs by a bit quicker. That's it. I wish the FI curves were a bit more aggro. I don't know if that's possible but I do wish the bike blew harder from the word go. As in its too much of a gentlemen. I wish it'd punched me in the nose a couple of times, that would have helped the love and the excitement, eh?

Handling
On any terrain, nothing in India's gonna catch it. Its surefooted, confident and can be relied on to get a move on. A couple of times, I caught myself not backing off even in dirty corners, expecting the whole package to just samba on without a twitch. And both times, that's exactly what happened. Absolutely amazing. Astoundingly good, even. The chassis re-tune works. Period.

The Karizma upgrade will need to answer some hard, hard questions in corners when it comes.

And it isn't a sportsbike for only the greatest of roads either. The 220 has gained a nice balance on the ride front too. It feels sporty and absorbs almost everything without as much as a raised eyebrow. I rode it through a stretch where cars and trucks has pretty much blasted off chunks of tarmac from the top layer. At high speed and at low speed. And I have nothing to report. No worries, no problems, no shocks, nothing. This is a truly great package.

More love for the brakes as well. They're great. They talk to you through the fingers, have great power, and should stoppie the 220 easy (I didn't try - I'd mooched the bike from a fairly reluctant owner; which is also not to say that I can, in fact, stoppie it in the first place).

Comfort
It's comfy all right, but there is a hitch. The fixed fairing comes back a bit too much and unless you're sitting so that the tailbone is touching the seatstep, your knees will be rubbing on the fairing. That's a bit uncomfortable.I guess when you are riding it in jeans, I'd grip the tank quite hard before hitting the brakes hard. In riding pants, the armour has that privilege of being very intimate with the fairing end. Shorties - I'm guessing 5'5" and below won't notice this.

Features
Lots

Other niggles
  • Why have a removable seat with storage space and then put the release under lock and key in the side panel?
  • White wheels instead of silver?
  • Tubeless tyres look identical to normal ones. Why? A different pattern, or name or something would have been a nice differentiator.
  • Why no clock in the dash?
    I for one found the Kari's clock damn useful on longer trips...
  • Eyesore of a front numberplate
  • Looks identical to every other Pulsar except for the front fairing
  • Don't think the bike's too pretty front on either
  • Clear indicators look naff all. Would've preffered orange LED ones, a slim line integrated in the mirror... lovely!
  • Clips not too adjustable
  • External tubing for the oil cooler looks plenty ugly
  • Engine kill switch is upside down. And ugly brown
  • From what I know, they're coming in unadventurous colours. Why? Why not a orange one? Pearl white? Metalflake silver? Gixxer blue? Kawa green?
  • Returns almost 40 kpl! What nonsense! I want only 25 kpl. And 25 bhp to go with that.
Price
Phenomenal! Dirt cheap, even.

Verdict
(Oh! we're giving verdicts now?) In a nutshell, if it weren't for the utter civility and the neutrality of the bike, I'd buy it. Right now. If I weren't such a rush-head, this would be my bike. A keeper for a year or two at the very least. By then, of course, some 300s, 400s would have come and I'd be ready to upgrade...

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd January 2007 at 18:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Another one...

Source: xBhp

Quote:
IT WAS MY BEST DECISION TO BUY P220.[/COLOR]

I got my bike delivered in my office by Bajaj's delivery vehicle. I really like their delivery service.
It was bad day for me in the office, as some problem was in my project. I stayed late at that day. I do wanted to be with my bike on Saturday, so i work hard to finish the job on Friday itself. Next day I was having lot of work in city. Filled up tank for 300 bucks and gone out. Driven 100 KM. Sunday my brother took the bike, driven 110 KM. Good progress.

Bike is too smooth in driving. Nowhere feeling of 150 KG. Did not get tired at all in city driving. Every signals I will have to tell peoples the price and the mileage of the bike. Mileage I don’t know. Gear shifting is very smooth. No disengagement of gears at all. Clutch is smooth. Best part of the bike is its sitting position. You can adjust yourself in race mode position as well as you can drive in normal sit back position. And you can not stop yourself driving fast. Through I am doing my best to keep within 4K RPM due to running-in period. Found back mirror is not suitable for city driving.

I love bending the bikes. But here I am facing little problem. Whenever I bend it, main stand touches the road. I am thinking of removing it. But I bend my bike like crazy, few only can do that. Normal bending it will not happen.

Today I thought, I must feel-up my tank again cause after delivering the bike I had driven 210 KM. And my assumption was 30KMPL. So went to fuel pump and asked to feel up for 300 Ru again. But this time to my surprise the tank was full. Seems like it 50KMPL is true for normal driving. But still I can not confirm it.All the time I have driven within 4K RPM due to running-in period. Next update I will post after first servicing.

I will say, its worth buying this bike.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd January 2007 at 19:07.
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:04   #3
BHPian

Yeah !!! I had read both these a while ago . I must say I'm impressed by this bike . When will we guys out of pune get to see the bike ?????
Mistakenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

And I'm seriously impressed by the writing skills on display!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy View Post
Yeah !!! I had read both these a while ago . I must say I'm impressed by this bike . When will we guys out of pune get to see the bike ?????
Forgot to mention...

Credits to mistakenguy who brought the reviews to my attention...

yaa... I am dreaming of a test drive too...
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:52   #6
BHPian

I think the Bajaj has done this much, why not replace the fixed fairing with a fully covered SBK sort of??? That'll look amazing for its length though.. And will be the first one of that sort in our country..

I heard that they are testing their FI engine in Pune and based on the feedbacks they'll release everywhere else after any adjustments if required. Dont know how true that is.
men_in_jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

CD, that review is so positive, that one could take it to be written by Bajaj's PRO / ad-men.

If that bike is as good as the review says it is, and I really hope so, then hats off to Bajaj. Every one else has some work to do now.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 23:10   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
CD, that review is so positive, that one could take it to be written by Bajaj's PRO / ad-men.

If that bike is as good as the review says it is, and I really hope so, then hats off to Bajaj. Every one else has some work to do now.
First one... Not so sure.. Please see the source and decide...

Second one... Its a good relaible source from the forum... Guy has bought the bike...
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:52   #9
BHPian

Guys , Any idea whens P-220 comin to mumbai ?
i saw it in flesh for the first time during the speed run.
just cant wait to get a test ride .
chilled_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 11:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

. Couldn't agree more.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

One thing is for sure! If the suspension soaks up good and bad roads and still has the best handling, there has to be something special.

Either the guy is going over the top in his review, or the suspension is really smart.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:36   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
i am totally with you here. The first review was absolute poetry in motion..er..riding
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest BS Motoring issue has a comparo between a Karizma and a P-220.... the P-220 is slower to 60 than the Karizma !!

But overall, it is faster....but not by much. I had expected a bigger performance increase than this.....
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:23   #14
BHPian

the 220 is a bit 2 hyped...We actually say how Good it is Only after the 1st service and not before that..
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 15:21   #15
BANNED

why is this motorcycle still not available in markets for sale? it seems that bajaj is busy in rectifying some problems.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote