Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd February 2007, 13:14   #1
BHPian

Default Insurance a big pain for a '94 RX100

I own a 94 model Yamaha RX-100. My insurance got expired couple of months back and i coud't get it renewed on time as i was out of country for some time. On coming back i went to oriental insurance ( Indiranagar )to get the insurance renewed, but i was informed by the concerned person that they have stopped insuring bikes that old :(...This came as a suprise for me coz w/o insurance i will have a hell of a time in b'lore. My bike is registered in kerala, but i have paid the karnataka tax and all other docs are upto date including the PUC. I don't know how to go about from here. I can try getting the insurance renewd in kerala, but for that i have to take the bike there, and i can't do it every time ......

I just wanted to find out if any team bhpians have faced any similar issues, and what best can be done to get my bike insuared. Is there any private insurance compnay which can help me out in this situation....I am a lot confused, pls lemme know what i can do to get the insurance renewed ASAP...

Regards
Jango
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 14:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Jango I would suggest that you head to the IndiraNagar RTO and check with someone there .IMHO I dont think that what the above mentioned by Oriental Insuance is true.
In that case, most of our BMTC buses and trucks in the city would be off the roads without proper insurance papers.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 14:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Jango I would suggest that you head to the IndiraNagar RTO and check with someone there .IMHO I dont think that what the above mentioned by Oriental Insuance is true.
In that case, most of our BMTC buses and trucks in the city would be off the roads without proper insurance papers.
I am planning to meet the manager of oriental insurance or try with a different insurance company all together. For govt vehicles they may get it done, and he even told me if the insurance was not expired he could have renewed it for me....I told him that i had the bike with me and he could check it before he renewed, but he was not agreeing to that !!
Old 2nd February 2007, 14:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

As long as your papers are in order, there should be no reaason why you cannot insure your bike. What the oriental guys are saying is against the Motor Vehicle act. You can tell them that you will go to court for this.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 14:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Am sure you can find someone who can help you out with this in the RTO complex. Just take a stroll in the complex and check with the vendors there.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 14:43   #6
BHPian

At least third party insurance ( must on MV act) someone should be able to give.

The other shocking news was, this friend of mine tried to renew his insurance online through private companies ( bajaj ...) . They did not have option beyond year 2000!. This friend is also in trouble with his 91 RX100 - prev insured in kerala.
chanapli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 14:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
At least third party insurance ( must on MV act) someone should be able to give.

The other shocking news was, this friend of mine tried to renew his insurance online through private companies ( bajaj ...) . They did not have option beyond year 2000!. This friend is also in trouble with his 91 RX100 - prev insured in kerala.
All i am asking is for 3rd party. I am least bothered abt full coverage. I don't want to travel w/o insurance, coz if caught i would get into big trouble. Approaching a vendor is a gud idea, even if i need to pay them a bit more !!!
Old 7th February 2007, 04:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since the insurance is already expired you can either take the bike to the insurer or ask someone from the firm to inspect the bike.

If they are still not bending, scare them by saying that you will go to the Insurance Ombudsman or Consumer court !!!
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 06:18   #9
BHPian

I had similar problems...just take a reference of any existing customer of the insurance company and pay them the inspection charges. Discuss with them as if you were going to take medi-claim or home insurance. They will do third party insurance easily. Tell them you are even OK with comprehensive insurance if they have such a plan for 94 model RX100. If yes then go for it. It wont be much ..something around 500-700. If you have any reference of staff it's even better
rohitbagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 14:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I had similar problems...just take a reference of any existing customer of the insurance company and pay them the inspection charges. Discuss with them as if you were going to take medi-claim or home insurance. They will do third party insurance easily. Tell them you are even OK with comprehensive insurance if they have such a plan for 94 model RX100. If yes then go for it. It wont be much ..something around 500-700. If you have any reference of staff it's even better

Thanks rohit that is what am planning to do now, just catch hold of someone in the insurance company, i will be taking a friend of mine knows someone over there....but the company's response really took me by suprise !!
Old 8th February 2007, 12:01   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
The other shocking news was, this friend of mine tried to renew his insurance online through private companies ( bajaj ...) . They did not have option beyond year 2000!.
That's right - Bajaj Allianz does not give out policies on vehicles older than 5 years. They were behind me to get my Indica insured with them and I said, for a start let me see your service with my bike. They refused and so its back to good old Oriental for the bike and I remain a loyal customer of TATA AIG for the car.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 17:47   #12
BHPian

According to the IRDA (governing body for insurance) no company can reject insurance for a vehicle, walk up to the manager and tell him you require 3rd party insurance, if he refuses tell him to give it in writing, still refuses say you will write to C S Rao, the chairman of IRDA, your work should get done at this point. Else log on to [SIZE=-1]www.irdaindia.org/ and give the complaint, quoting the name of the insurer, managers name and address,
[/SIZE]
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote