Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th February 2007, 10:57   #1
BHPian

Default Yamaha may shut shop if numbers don't improve

Sad news:
Yamaha may shut shop if numbers don't improve-Two-wheelers-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Japanese motorcycle major Yamaha may be lookingto shutting operations in India if its turnaround indicators do not work out as planned. According to an internal circular, dated February 12, 2007, and signed by Yamaha Motor India MD T Ishikawa—a copy of which is with ET-”the top management is closely monitoring ”its new “marketing strategy and productivity of manufacturing” indicators. “If either does not go as intended the management is ready to shut down the operation here,” the notice says.

It is sad to see a great company known for performance products go down like this (it had great products atleast in the past, remember the RDs and RXs) . I think, taking the focus away from performance to volumes did it for them.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

They WILL shut shop if their model lineup doesnt improve. Everyone knows there's a lot of potential for numbers in this market - as long as you understand the market.

They make it sound like they're doing us a favour by remaining in business - shape up or ship out, Yamaha.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 11:05   #3
BHPian

its better to shut for an year or two and come up with a couple of competitive bikes. They are "fiat" of bikes. Lot of potential but fails for one reason or the other.
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 11:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

I dont think they got anything right after the RX100 and the legendary RD350. I liked the RX135 5 speed but whats the point if you cant sell them?

Its better for them to shut shop than run losses with bikes having stickers all over the body.
Guess John Abraham couldn't do the trick either.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Lot of potential but fails for one reason or the other.
Which Yamaha can be considered to be a potential winner? Whats the USP?

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th February 2007 at 11:07.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 11:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
They WILL shut shop if their model lineup doesnt improve. Everyone knows there's a lot of potential for numbers in this market - as long as you understand the market.

They make it sound like they're doing us a favour by remaining in business - shape up or ship out, Yamaha.

I too love the brand name Yamaha... But Yamaha India right now is a piece of joke...

Yesterday, my friend took my P180 DTSi for a ride, and i had to ride his RX100... It fell tiny and small, (Compared to the pulsar), But the way it screamed forward at high revs was amazing... I felt it accelerated as fast as a P150...

Now, this isnt the first time am riding a Yamaha 2 stroke... I have tried the RX135 and frankly wasnt all that impressed...

Agreed Yamaha bikes nowadays have the smoothest of engines (Libero and glady), but thats about it... They dont have anything special about them, to sell in decent numbers...

Companies like Bajaj have shown the growth potential in the Indian market... Hope Yamaha learns a lesson from them soon...

Same applies for the other two majors too... Honda (better situation), and Suzuki (What are they doing??? Showing of the Hayabusa, and trying to sell the Heat???)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 11:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Which Yamaha can be considered to be a potential winner? Whats the USP?
I was talking about the same Rx100 and RD350. Or the bigger bikes
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 11:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Having the right product always makes the company perform better (same for FIAT). You cant complain if you don't have the right product.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 12:14   #8
BHPian

Its better YAMAHA shuts down rather than selling bikes like the Libero and the gladiator...with JA stickers all around them. YAMAHA needs to understand the market and the indian customers. When bajaj could come up with the pulsar and could make customers buy them and take over the bigger part of market share what was yamaha doing ??. Its high time they need to come up with bikes of atleast 180cc. They have the brand name, all they need to do is come up with some gud machine rather than those punky rides.....WAKE UP YAMAHA !!
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 12:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

How do they expect numbers to improve automatically unless they believe in voodoo and black magic? The sorry state they're in now - its better that they exit gracefully immediately rather than being forced into it when they find themselves at the blunt edge.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 12:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dont find anything wrong with the gladiator except for its ad campaigns. It is just that the RX100 has been associated with Yamaha & the image simply refuses to leave it. People are judging their products with that in mind. If the same gladiator was released by TVS, it would have sold like hot cakes. Thats my Humble Opinion.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 12:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I dont find anything wrong with the gladiator except for its ad campaigns. It is just that the RX100 has been associated with Yamaha & the image simply refuses to leave it. People are judging their products with that in mind. If the same gladiator was released by TVS, it would have sold like hot cakes. Thats my Humble Opinion.

Nope esteem love we r not comparing the gladiator with the Rx-100. We r infact comparing it with the P150 or a sililar bike in the same category ..Keep the 2 bike side by side and ask anyone to pick one of them ?? ,everyone knows that the P150 will outstand the gladiator in terms of looks and performance.....Why can't yamaha try to bring in a bike which meets the specification of the ZMA or the P180 or the 150 i am sure they have the potential to do that...just that they don't want to do that for some reason ...

Last edited by jango : 26th February 2007 at 12:48.
Old 26th February 2007, 14:55   #12
BHPian

Our motorcycle market is flooded with too many bikes of the same sort..heat, gladiator what not.. what our youngsters need is some thing different ..some thing exciting.. RX did it in the past and Pulsar twins still evolving and capturing the crowd.. i dont understand what Yamaha and suzuki are doing with their marketing and R&D.. when an Indian manufacturer can steal the thunder whats happening to these Jap companies? all they need is to get one of their popular international models and idolise them in india..they cannot fool us by showing a Busa and asking us to buy a heat or show an R1 and ask us to buy a desi gladiator? They are just making themselves look silly by doing this...by gods sake why cant they bring the Fazer 250 for a change and get ahead of the competition? high time Yamaha study the indian market or better shut shop .. they are not doing us any favour bringing out crap bikes!! we are not dearth of options in this economy!
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 15:19   #13
BHPian

True all they need to do is get the Fazer 250, maybe the same model which they have launched in Brasil. It will be a hit in india market.......
Old 26th February 2007, 15:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
We r infact comparing it with the P150 or a sililar bike in the same category ..Keep the 2 bike side by side and ask anyone to pick one of them ??
Get the facts right, mate! They are in separate categories. Gladiator has 125 cc engine, so it should be compared with Discover than Pulsar.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 15:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. Also, the big market, i assume is in the 100-125 CC segement. The public perception towards yamaha is the reason behind why they are not doing well. I think there was a period when they shut shop or there are less service stations or something like that which took away the customer's confidence in yamaha.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote