Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th August 2008, 09:29   #106
BHPian

All that work payed off for nothing huh ? sad

Anyway there is more ideas coming in right ? how about increasing the compression ratio by shaving the cylinder head ? and also pistons up to 1.75(3rd oversize) are available with the dealer here(I was the spare parts supervisor at a Honda 2 wheeler dealer ship) you could give that a try , then try the jetting again

I would suggest you to not do any mods on the cam due to nonavailability of good materials, workshops for doing it.The cam is made of high tensile steel but the welding is mostly done with Mild steel ,so there is a difference like rock and butter.

The stock head light with the Smaller fairing looks good but the round one with the fairing looks unimpressive

Cheers
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 12:38   #107
BHPian

Did I miss something, why aren't you going for the CBZ Xtreme cam?

Also incase you are totally bored with engine, you can consider boring it. A 200cc unicorn is pretty fast bike. Think about it....
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 15:04   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
All that work payed off for nothing huh ? sad

Anyway there is more ideas coming in right ? how about increasing the compression ratio by shaving the cylinder head ? and also pistons up to 1.75(3rd oversize) are available with the dealer here(I was the spare parts supervisor at a Honda 2 wheeler dealer ship) you could give that a try , then try the jetting again

I would suggest you to not do any mods on the cam due to nonavailability of good materials, workshops for doing it.The cam is made of high tensile steel but the welding is mostly done with Mild steel ,so there is a difference like rock and butter.

The stock head light with the Smaller fairing looks good but the round one with the fairing looks unimpressive

Cheers
the round head light is not very photogenic, rather i dont have good pics of the same, in person it looks more macho and rugged and gives the naked roadster look like the honda twister 250! i will try posting better pics when i find the time to click them! for now take a look at the below one for the rearset close up!

and i dont if you have noticed i have changed the rearsets to karizma's that one hell of a retrofit and gives the bike just the right seating position the bike deserves!!!. honda should do that in fact, i serioulsy wonder why they what that commuterish look along, infact there should be two versions the sports and premium, these foot pegs and a shorter handle like what i have should be incorporated in to the sports and premium should be the way its now!

shaving the cylinder and the piston on a uni, no mate i dont want to do that, hence the decison for the cam, its like i want the bike to be trouble free at all the times, i use this bike 2-3 days in a week and every time i start her i want a trouble free ride, i am sure there are mechanics skilled to do that but then thats just not what i intend to do. may be when the bike is up for a rebore i will do that! but i just want to enjoy the engine as of now.

any way the ports are very well made in uni so the porting and polishing job is not worth it either.

the only thing that can be done here is what you suggested and praful suggested, but i would rather buy a karizma's engine and retrofit it on this chassis than go to that stage of mods.

i gave a lot of thought to getting a tectrac exhaust, but i simply cant part with the silent roar rather the smooth roar of the machine.
hence running it as stock. if i can get a free flow minus the sound change i am gald to do that!

any other things that can be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Did I miss something, why aren't you going for the CBZ Xtreme cam?

Also incase you are totally bored with engine, you can consider boring it. A 200cc unicorn is pretty fast bike. Think about it....
yes praful read my post 104 in detail again, and you will understand.

and like i said above i rather get a karizma's engine and retro fit it out than do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01564.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01571.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01567.jpg  

Last edited by rider60 : 19th August 2008 at 15:17.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 15:27   #109
BHPian

@rider60: Thanks for pointing out I missed out on the 7th page!

AFAIK, some guys from xBhp were successfully running the Xtreme cam on their Uni's. You can check up there and try to find, I can't access that forum from my current workplace otherwise I would have helped out in this matter.

And about using the ZMA engine, well thats not a bad idea either, but overall cost of boring it to a 200 would be much much cheaper than buying a ZMA engine which would typically cost close to 25-30K! Plus the 200 Uni's said to be faster than the stock ZMA's.

Anyways, I don't like the idea about re-boring as such, but when all else is done the only way to go is up!
Old 19th August 2008, 16:11   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
@rider60: Thanks for pointing out I missed out on the 7th page!

AFAIK, some guys from xBhp were successfully running the Xtreme cam on their Uni's. You can check up there and try to find, I can't access that forum from my current workplace otherwise I would have helped out in this matter.

And about using the ZMA engine, well thats not a bad idea either, but overall cost of boring it to a 200 would be much much cheaper than buying a ZMA engine which would typically cost close to 25-30K! Plus the 200 Uni's said to be faster than the stock ZMA's.

Anyways, I don't like the idea about re-boring as such, but when all else is done the only way to go is up!
agreed the 200 uni will have more power but then the reliability is what i am looking for, and seriously i am done with the visits to mechanic and i need few more months before i can dedicate the kind of time i did previously. i need the break thats all.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:59   #111
BHPian

Dear it's totally okay to rebore the engine to 3rd over size and it will cost you roughly 900rs inclusive of the spare parts required, i had done it on my previous unicorn ,there's no harm in it.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 13:02   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
agreed the 200 uni will have more power but then the reliability is what i am looking for, and seriously i am done with the visits to mechanic and i need few more months before i can dedicate the kind of time i did previously. i need the break thats all.
Then stock rocks!

Nothing beats the reliability of that.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:58   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Dear it's totally okay to rebore the engine to 3rd over size and it will cost you roughly 900rs inclusive of the spare parts required, i had done it on my previous unicorn ,there's no harm in it.
i will do that for sure when the bike has at least 30K-40K kms on the odo, it now has only 9k on the odo and i want to enjoy it as of now.
Old 29th August 2008, 07:57   #114
Senior - BHPian

guys i have an idea now so done shower me with brick bats if you think this is totally crazy after having said i dont want to mess with bigger bore,

i was crazily going through random threads, and i found the somender singh thread again and i kind of got totally tempted to try this grooving on the head of the unicorn, i have never seen a uni's head opened i was just told the ports were well made, but if this grooving this works for the bike then nothing like it for the performance upgrade with minimal cost and time right?

what say guys here is the linky to the old thread do go through it and please pour in your thoughts generously right now i need good enouragement coupled with wise advices along with the worst case senarios if i do this i mean the cost i would have to incurr.

thanks in advance!!!

SOMENDER-SINGH.com - Grooves 101

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...5-kmpl-12.html (My Grooved Esteem FE is 14.5 Kmpl)
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:15   #115

Default My Unicorn

Hi Guys,
Going thru this forum lately.. made me gain a lot of interest in modding my UNI..

Lemme start - I have 2.5 year old UNI, In Bangalore which has done only abt 31k... (some one suggest me a good educated mechanic here with out any attitude problem)
I have some decent mods gone already. I have this only as a cheapest means of transport and to beat the traffic. I don't wanna bear extra cost for minor stuff..

What I have done is ...

1.First thing i did is get rid of the stock tires, studied and found out TVS jumbo a fair deal, Light, cheap, good thread design for muddy roads, has minimum contact surface when fully inflated when bike is 90degress with the road, so no drop in mileage, as it has this V design make more contact with road only on a curve when the mike is bent a little..
2. K&N Filter.. I recharge it for every 6-8k kms Indian riding conditions..too much dust.. Fitted Directly to the Carb, got rid of Stock air filter box(extra weight) (Dont know what to do with the two pies going from the Airfilter box, one is from exhaust one oil pump i believe)
3. I Shaved the Exhaust port just a little bit.. Now my bike sounds better and Revs faster...
4. I shaved the head a few mm to get better CR (some fuel from bad pumps gives knocking sometimes..)
5. I have HID Xenon kits (55w), strobe lights, and Air horns (I have various colour bulbs 6000k 8000k 10000k 12000k ) Recoiled the Coils to charge the battery faster, put a better rectifier, (cuz of the HID and Air horns) and directed the whole Elecrtic system to the battery. Now its works like ZMA turns on everything with out turning on the engine, and doesnt flicker at idle)
6.Put P180 handle bar to get a good posture and negotiate well in traffic since its lil smaller(I tired 2 peice and 3 peice handles it goofed upped the ride, cables and my tank)

Here's whats to come
Now I need a lil Advice from the experts and no maybe's please

1.Planning to Fit a FI kit from Glamour or RTR (Any advice or precautions)
2.Got Hunks (or CBZ Extreme) foot rests ( whole kit brake levers gear lever ), hafta get t fixed sometime..
3.Planning to put the Old CBZ's Exhaust ( I Think this one is too big for its size) i dont think there will be issues with that (cuz it was built to handle 150cc TPFC Engine)
4.I have a issue with Gear ratios, Diffrence between 1st and 2nd gear is huge doesnt fit city riding i think its been fixed in CBZ extreme plaanning to put the gear from it ( It cost just 200 bucks each)
5.Planning to Put NGK spark plug wire from the Xtreme too (Its supposed to be pure copper and Energy efficient and stuff like that) and looks good too the red colour..
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-4.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-2.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-1.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-5.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-6.jpg  

Sk8erboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 15:24   #116
BHPian

There are a lot more mods that you can do to the Uni to make it fast. Its a very fragile engine and a slight goof-up will mess the whole story. The 200cc unicorn was kicking the hell out of a Karizma and p220. the build has completed over 8k kms and it rocks.

Regards,
Joel
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 21:23   #117

Some Genuine suggestions will help.. What all have you done for the 200 ???
What specific parts you have in it ??? like which piston,carb,jets, what CR and Gear ratios ???
Old 6th September 2008, 12:39   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8erboi View Post
Some Genuine suggestions will help.. What all have you done for the 200 ???
What specific parts you have in it ??? like which piston,carb,jets, what CR and Gear ratios ???
For all these queries there is only one answer " Visit Venugopal The engine hacker "
praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 08:33   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
For all these queries there is only one answer " Visit Venugopal The engine hacker "

Any Contact details ?? ADD ??? Ph no ???
Old 7th September 2008, 12:49   #120

Default Ahh! Some new foot rest...

The old Uni foot rest was very moped type.. the position was not good,, had given me back aches on long rides.. I think the old one is suited for more shorter people.. Now i have a shorter handle bar and better foot rest.. i can keep my back as straight as possible....

And My 55w HID lamp...
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc00343.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc00344.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc00346.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc00347.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc00348.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc00350.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc00351.jpg