Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th September 2008, 22:42   #121
Senior - BHPian

now i finally see another guy who shares the same enthusiasm as me on a uni here on TBhp, SKboi, the next time i am in bangy i will try and meet you and engine hacker for sure for more knowledge on the uni.

as of now i am gonna try grooving it am i kind of done with my cosmetic mods, i have ZMA's rear sets by the way i think you have seen my previous posts.

i really want to do the coil rewinding for more power to my lights, please tell me more about how to do it and the tech specs on the same would help me do it better here in Hyd.

i intend to go for a better reflector with better throw in the high beam and change to a 100/90 bulb with say a 9AH i.e. bigger battery.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 07:38   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
now i finally see another guy who shares the same enthusiasm as me on a uni here on TBhp, SKboi, the next time i am in bangy i will try and meet you and engine hacker for sure for more knowledge on the uni.

as of now i am gonna try grooving it am i kind of done with my cosmetic mods, i have ZMA's rear sets by the way i think you have seen my previous posts.

i really want to do the coil rewinding for more power to my lights, please tell me more about how to do it and the tech specs on the same would help me do it better here in Hyd.

i intend to go for a better reflector with better throw in the high beam and change to a 100/90 bulb with say a 9AH i.e. bigger battery.
Actually electrical part is Very Easy.. Get Recoiling done .. put 8 Coils with more turns instead of stock 4.. Put a nice DC rectifier.. (Recommend the one from Mindor) So that it works like Zma.. Direct the wiring.. thats it..
A 100/90 bulb with a small cut outer (25 bucks) will give output like the ones in a car with huge battery...

Grooving i contacted Somender.. He's not ready to do it to bikes or small cars also... Check this Site *************.com There you can find Custom cut Groveed pistons made out of good alloys By ROSS.. you can groove the head your self... its easy... Let me know the results...
Sk8erboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 11:31   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8erboi View Post
Actually electrical part is Very Easy.. Get Recoiling done .. put 8 Coils with more turns instead of stock 4.. Put a nice DC rectifier.. (Recommend the one from Mindor) So that it works like Zma.. Direct the wiring.. thats it..
A 100/90 bulb with a small cut outer (25 bucks) will give output like the ones in a car with huge battery...

Grooving i contacted Somender.. He's not ready to do it to bikes or small cars also... Check this Site *************.com There you can find Custom cut Groveed pistons made out of good alloys By ROSS.. you can groove the head your self... its easy... Let me know the results...

well i have not found a good electrician here who can do that, so i will need to explain him every thing every thing i guess, i mean i will need to know if he is doing every thing right, a few pics would help me understand to keep a watch, is this dc rectifier the same as the one in zma? if so i rather buy it from the spares than outside.

as per the winding wire can you suggest me good brands to buy from?
Old 10th September 2008, 13:31   #124
BHPian

Grooving the head works only if you are running the right compression. Grooving alone will not give you any results.
Its a method my somender to improve the combustion, but its not the right apprach. Why didnt manufacturers adapt it then?
As carbon deposits in the cylinder head, the grooves will get filled and it will then lead to severe knocking in the engine. This is not a good idea for production engines and you cant expect all customers to de-carb their car/bike cylinder heads every 8-10000kms. None of the manufacturers have adopted his theory.
Allthough there are a few results when his logic is applied, with the right compression.....the long term reliabilty of the engine is compromised. Also it works decent only on 2 valve engine with a large squish area.
An engine like the unicorn has a large combustion chamber and there is hardly any squish area. If you groove it, it will increase the cylinder head volume for no reason and if the groove extends out the piston/head surface, the results will be bad. It will lead to blowing head gaskets too.

Joel
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 14:13   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
well i have not found a good electrician here who can do that, so i will need to explain him every thing every thing i guess, i mean i will need to know if he is doing every thing right, a few pics would help me understand to keep a watch, is this dc rectifier the same as the one in zma? if so i rather buy it from the spares than outside.

as per the winding wire can you suggest me good brands to buy from?
Well Recoiling.. you dont get any recoiled coil brands as such... Go to some good mechs in town... ask them for the best electrical shop for recoiling... count the votes and go... Ask them to increase the number of coils and turns in each coil... Zma's rectifier wont work... cuz its not a dynamo type... it a three phase type.. which directly gives DC... Karizma's wont work its alternator is totaly diffrent from any other bike in india... Go to Tempo and ask for minidor rectifier... its small, cheap,not heavy duty.. and does the work...Can be easily istalled too...

Grooving Advice as fieroid told.. you have to de carbonise the engine.. get a De carbonizing Kit from 3M and keep.. it will cost around 1.5k.. that decarboniser tin can be used atleast 5 times on a 200 CC engine.. Go to your Local Mercedes, Opel, Chevy Service station.. they'll have it for sure...
Old 10th September 2008, 16:43   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8erboi View Post
Any Contact details ?? ADD ??? Ph no ???

Pm fieroid he will guide you through
praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 17:25   #127
BHPian

I dont believe in de-carb solvents and they can never flush the heavy carbon formation.
I've seen such a grooved cylinder head after carbon formation and it was in a pretty bad state. Like I said earlier, grooving is not the right approach of improving combustion.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 09:51   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
I dont believe in de-carb solvents and they can never flush the heavy carbon formation.
I've seen such a grooved cylinder head after carbon formation and it was in a pretty bad state. Like I said earlier, grooving is not the right approach of improving combustion.
Yeah might be... never looked inside a grooved engine after its been de-carbed by solvents...
Old 16th October 2008, 14:04   #129
BHPian

My Unicorn had no probs till date it was running clean with The K & N 1060 Filter now it have started some uneven ideling the bikes done only 7800Km till now and I installed the Filter when the odo was at 1200KM, what might be the reason ? The Plug that i use is a Twin Electrode one of the orginal spec. should i rejet ? if i should which size or rather which bikes jet should i procure ? and when jetting it's the main jet that has to be changed right ? And what kind of drop in Fuel Efficeincy can i hope after rejetting ?

Thanks

Muneem
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 12:35   #130
BHPian

hi i changed to xtreme cam & it worked very good for me. With those cams i was able to achieve speeds with instant throttle response & never had any lagging like the stock cams. But mileage reduced 10kms & sometimes with rough riding i even get 25 kmpl with those cams.
sreerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 12:38   #131
BHPian

Recently changed to stock cam after changing to geo cruiser 100/90 as i had even more 4-8 kms mileage loss & got 35-45 as mileage
Have to see how stock cam performs now
sreerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 10:31   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerama View Post
hi i changed to xtreme cam & it worked very good for me. With those cams i was able to achieve speeds with instant throttle response & never had any lagging like the stock cams. But mileage reduced 10kms & sometimes with rough riding i even get 25 kmpl with those cams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerama View Post
Recently changed to stock cam after changing to geo cruiser 100/90 as i had even more 4-8 kms mileage loss & got 35-45 as mileage
Have to see how stock cam performs now
i may be exaggerating here but from what i know, the second gear ratio on unicorn is pathetic hence you end up giving full throttle giving you such mileage figure and there are also a bunch of other things that lead to this.

"also i have a surprise in the store coming up. do watch this space"
Old 4th May 2010, 13:10   #133
Senior - BHPian

Behold "DIRE TAURUS". "DT1".

i have done all the possible mods i could think of on this bike, the thread started by me is not justified completely imo.

both the performance and the cosmetic mods have been carried out on this baby. i shall post the list of the mods done soon enough and a few niggling ones remaining too.

just let the comments flow for now be it brick bats, or kisses. thanks to all who have made this outcome possible, they have really helped me get the right inputs and helped me build this bad boy from the stock - up! i all of them and team bhp for the support.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc05152-moded.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc05155-moded.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc05157-moded.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc05161-moded.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc05162.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc05163-moded.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc05165-moded.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc05168-moded.jpg  

Old 4th May 2010, 16:04   #134
Senior - BHPian

Well done dude!! I was just waiting for you to upload the pics onto team-bhp. I shall visit you shortly the next time you are in the city to have a look at your bike. For now I guess the people in Zaheerabad might be scratching their head which bike is this one. Despite some many mods, the bike does not look out of proportion in any angle! The mods gel well with the bike!!!

Now how about something on the ride report?? And when are you planing to hit the track with this one???

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 4th May 2010 at 16:05.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 03:11   #135
BHPian

The front fairing and light is looking extremely ugly, rest is real nice, the quality of workmanship is really nice, doesnt look like a mod job, looks completely stock.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote