Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th April 2007, 03:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)

i wanted to know mods that can be done on the version 1 unicorn to make it look better and i think i know a few performance mods here they are
1. replacing the stock spark plug with iridium ones (please suggest me a few brands here.)
2. performance airfilters like the K&N ones.
3. free flow exhaust.
4. better roadgripping tyres.

and finally change the head light to round one the one on the v1 pulsar.
and put in the mags of the v2 unicorn or pulsar's i guess.

say what fellas give out you view and opinions and any other mods you can suggest for this bike alone for its the country's only bike with a MONOShock absorber.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 05:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

start with the cams frm xtreme
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 06:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

What makes you think an iridium plug will have any effect whatsoever on performance?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 08:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

i do not understand how spark plugs, K&Ns, free flow exhaust and better tyres will make a unicorn look better. Maybe I'm stupid.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 09:40   #5
BHPian

What exactly you want from your Unicorn? You want her to look good or perform better?

Usually you can’t have best of both worlds; it’s either one way or the other.
yogesh sarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 11:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

i do not exactly know what a irridium spark plug does exactly and i would like to know from you mr.v1p3r but the K&N and freeflow do help to an extent, for the looks i mentioned a round head light the one on the v1 pulsar that will sort of make it look more rugged or masculine.

and if there are performance mods possible on this bike (also other than nitrous cyinder) please suggest...

yogesh if i have to choose then performance is my first priority and then i guess the current stock flaring can be changed to the round head light and a better looking engine guard (or leg guard) and bigger rear tyre. can all be fixed too i guess say what?

ananth the spark plug was for performance and the headlight and the bigger rear tyre for the looks... i guess your doubts are clarified now.
Old 7th April 2007, 11:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

what are the cams on xtreme i did not understand can you please explain?
Old 7th April 2007, 13:48   #8
BHPian

yogesh sarkar-why cant he have both?looks as well as performance?any reason ?please explain.
rider60-dont change the lights to old pulsar 1's,jus do minor changes like, putting good mags,change the silencer pipe to an imported 1, [dont go for the locally made 1's which look like cylindrical powder tins].color the side box the same body color,try to avoid stickers or do very minimal sticker work.
desigNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 14:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

1. replacing the pug will not help....
2.K&N is gud but jetting need to be done along...
3. Instead of free flowing exhaust just remove cat con from ur bike or buy tectrac's exhaust.. best exhuast system available in india..
4. Go in for michelin M 45 tires... these are light in weight and road holding is awesome.....
5.Go in for new unicorn's alloys as they r direct fit , if u wanna fit pulsar's or sum other bike u need to do a lot of mods.....
6. Don't put any engine cover... the will get over heated and it is not gud for engine...
7. get the cylinder head ported and polished from a reputed engine tuner...
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 19:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
yogesh sarkar-why cant he have both?looks as well as performance?any reason ?please explain.
Looks in most peopleís dictionary mean fatter tyres, loud sounding exhausts, custom paint schemes and alloys.

Apart from paint job rest increase the weight of the motorcycle which isnít some thing you would want on already underpowered and overweight Indian motorcycles. FYI 07 R1 produces roughly 180hp at crank while weighing in at 177kgs (dry weight), while the Unicorn produces 13.3bhp @ crank while tipping the scale at 142kgs. One of the basic rules of increasing performance is to lower the overall weight not increase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i do not exactly know what a irridium spark plug does exactly and i would like to know from you mr.v1p3r but the K&N and freeflow do help to an extent, for the looks i mentioned a round head light the one on the v1 pulsar that will sort of make it look more rugged or masculine.

and if there are performance mods possible on this bike (also other than nitrous cyinder) please suggest...

yogesh if i have to choose then performance is my first priority and then i guess the current stock flaring can be changed to the round head light and a better looking engine guard (or leg guard) and bigger rear tyre. can all be fixed too i guess say what?
No use going in for the iridium spark plugs, agreed they help burn fuel better but the marginal increase in performance wouldnít even be evident unless your bike was running on bad timing before the plug change.

As for K&N it would only increase air intake in to an already lean engine, to counter that you would need to put larger size jets which is difficult to judge before hand and for that you will need an expert tuner who would be ready to spend some quality time on your bike, too costly a proposition for a bike like Unicorn.

Same goes for free flow, but if you do decide to go for one then you need to get one custom made if you are looking for performance not loud sound! In any case the exhaust would have to be designed after you have modded rest of the bike.

Round headlamp wouldnít go with the looks of the Unicorn since its tank doesnít have the same type of structure as Pulsarís, but then again itís a matter of personal preference.

With regards to engine guard never go for it, as for the leg guard let it remain the same. Same goes for tyres if you want performance, fatter and gripier tires mean more traction thus resulting in more power loss rather then performance. Just look at any drag bikes (Indian) tires and you will get the drift of what I am talking about.

My 2 cents, rather then spending heck lot of money on the unicorn to make its performance closer to what a stock 180 can do, go out and buy a 180, 200, 220 or Karizma! You will get performance and better looks and fatter tires as well.
Old 7th April 2007, 20:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
any details on this like price and performance?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 22:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

thank you for the info yogesh i will try and keep that in mind...
Old 7th April 2007, 23:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the info yogesh, but i have a doubt here does the jet changing increase the power considerably can one atleast feel the change in power?
Old 8th April 2007, 02:42   #14
BHPian

In acceleration yes, if the jet size is compatible with the filter you are using. But it’s all a matter of hit and trial and even then the increase in acceleration would be marginal. Effect of using a K&N filter is more psychological in most cases, rather then any thing else, since the intake roar of a bike running K&N is quite good.

In the end it’s a matter of finding the right person for the right job, since you are down in south you might be in luck. Try and get in touch with tuners from the racing teams and they might be willing to help you out, there is one guy called Tectrac, his site used to be www.tectracracing.com but it’s not working at this moment.
Old 8th April 2007, 03:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

is there another good tuner in hyderabad or chennai or bangalore you can refer me to?