Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th May 2007, 18:41   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I just got it yesterday,, still exploring
hey, do you mean you bought the AVL500 and got the delivery too??

like your sprit dude,
awating a test ride / short term ownership report and pics
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 18:47   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Its OK for Enfield to do a new engine as long as they understand the strengths and weakness of the original engine and proceed in the correct direction.

The key is to maintain the slow revvving thump-a-thump-a-thump feel of the current engine.

any attempt to make this a quick revving jap bike wannabe will destroy the appeal of the bike.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 11:03   #48
BHPian

Yes, I got the AVL500.
I will be posting a short term report soon.
Based on my experiance till now, I did about 350KMs and found that the engine noise is too much (may be because I'm not used to it) and I'd like to have a good mech look at it for proper tuning. I feel that the showroom guys might have tuned for a first time rider like me....and thats causing a lot of tappet sound or something out of engine...
second thing is the gear box,, my 9 years old HH has got better gear shift than this - its difficult shifting up/down between 2nd and 3rd gear and while down shifting most of the time it looks like its going to neutral after every downshift, not sure though,, I'm still getting used to it and it feels lil better than the first day because I now know how to shift up/down.. but its not so smooth. shifting to neutral is a pain most of the time..
Also, I see there some oil is leaking into the air filter compartment and from there to the silence,, Going to find out the source today afternoon
Torque is really good, I liked the ride quality, pressure you got to apply onto the clutch during the traffic and especially when you struggling to get to the neutral is giving me a good opportunity to work out with my writst and fingers...
I had been to a couple hundred KMS ride (Blr to Savandurga) last weekend - the feel is really nice. I'm just hoping that the noise level can brought down further and how soon I can put a rocket silencer on it for a lil bigger sound (I know I may not get the real thump,, but I have heard rocket silencer on Machismo, its worth putting one).
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 11:19   #49
BHPian

Hey Ketan, nice to see your review.. have been planning to buy this bike for a long time and i m now sceptical about the engine noise and the oil leak. the clutch any ways you can adjust. i was seeing the 500AVL review on car and bike show yesterday, i could hear the engine clatter through the microphone it doesnt sound like an enfield atall. How are the vibrations at different speeds? It would be nice to see some pic of your bike!!
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 11:24   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

congrats Ketan.

it costs 1.15 OTR here at bangy and where did you buy it from? Agro?

AVL does sound diff from the CI and so about its performance. About the rocket...you will soon get fed of it.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 11:24   #51
BHPian

I dont think oil leak has got any issues with this bike, this one is very specific to mine I guess, need to get it checked again..
I did not feel any vibrations as such,.. I'll have the things verified with a good mech before I come to a conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
congrats Ketan.

Thank you jkdas, In bangalore, its 111300 OTR.

Quote:
AVL does sound diff from the CI and so about its performance. About the rocket...you will soon get fed of it.
I did not get it about the rocket!! are you saying it wont make much difference with AVL!! I'm not sure whether I should go for it before my bike completes 1 year!

Last edited by Ketan : 28th May 2007 at 11:30.
Old 28th May 2007, 11:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
congrats Ketan.

Thank you jkdas, In bangalore, its 111300 OTR.

Quote:
I did not get it about the rocket!! are you saying it wont make much difference with AVL!! I'm not sure whether I should go for it before my bike completes 1 year!

=====
Dont know how to delete the post!! I tried to merge this one with the previous one as they were at couple of minutes distance,, can I delete post within those 10-20 minutes period!! mods you can remove this post. Thanks.

Last edited by Ketan : 28th May 2007 at 11:32.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:11   #53
BHPian

ketan the noise is the "mark" of an AVL.
clip on a free flow . try sourcing a goldstar that will help in dissolving the commotion alot.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 28th May 2007 at 12:14.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 12:53   #54
BHPian

With the same ol engine to work on, lil bit tweaks here n there, changing the posn of the gears n brakes to th wrong side and then asking for 1L+ for the 'new' bike, i surely feel Sid Lal has all his tappets loose!!
SPEED_DEMON82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 12:54   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
try sourcing a goldstar that will help in dissolving the commotion alot.
whats a Goldstar?? can you please elaborate?
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 15:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
whats a Goldstar?? can you please elaborate?
It is a performance silencer. Check it out on this bike - *Goldstar Performance Kit 500 - A New Kit of Tradition!

Personally I would not fit it, if the bike is still running in and under warranty. And to get the real benefits of a Goldstar, you would need a K&N filter and a larger jet. You may end up burning the valves if you just fit the Goldstar alone.
jusgetgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 15:41   #57
BHPian

Ketan,
AVL engine clatter is a known issue, it will reduce by 50% as time goes on...my bull is 35k kilo old and now that clatter is down by 80%. Get your tappets adjusted.

My advise would be stay stock, dont modify anything. Ride the bull let her cross 10000 kms and then decide what you like and what you dont like. It too early for you to start thinking of changing things. This is my sincere advise even I went through this phase so dont do the mistake.

For now, change the Silencer to a Short Bottle silencers (the old style one you can see my imgae gallery). That should do for now. Please dont look into rocket or goldstar now.
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 15:47   #58
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Yes, I got the AVL500.
second thing is the gear box,, my 9 years old HH has got better gear shift than this - its difficult shifting up/down between 2nd and 3rd gear and while down shifting most of the time it looks like its going to neutral after every downshift, not sure though,, I'm still getting used to it and it feels lil better than the first day because I now know how to shift up/down.. but its not so smooth. shifting to neutral is a pain most of the time..
What RPM are you changing your gears at?

Hmm.. Also, please get the clutch adjusted... never use the clutch half else u'll burn it soon...

Do you have any firnd of your's who is an old bulleteer?
If yes, please doa sk him to ride your bike and check if the gears are actually bad or is it just the riding style.

As it's a new engine, do ride at ease... teh RPM shoudn't run too high not even between gears..

Well you might or might not be knowing about it, but still I though I'll mention it.

Regards
Samy
urdudesamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 17:11   #59
BHPian

I agree with Ram. Change it to a Short silencer. Don't do anything else....
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 18:32   #60
BHPian

Forgot, is the oil ozzing out from the Air Filter box, if so may be some over enthu mech would have poured excess oil which gets flushed back through the breather pipe into th air...this is **** up we have to live with...and I dont know why they aint rectifying it.

Ask him to clean that and also see if th air filter needs a change...
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote