Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th June 2007, 10:13   #1
BHPian

Default Peculiar problem in my bike!

Hi all,
My TVS Fiero F2 from the past 5-6 months has this peculiar problem. When i try to start it during Mornings it doesn't start, even after several kicks. It is somewhat like no life when kick. then after 1 hour when i try to start, it starts in just 1 kick. Also there are jerks during ride. What may be the problem. Showed it to dealer/service Bridgestone TVS but the service personnel just couldn't make out what the problem is and said all are ok just service it every 4 months. Anybody through light in this matter?

thanks and regards,
ramki.
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 12:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe you could just bypass the morning kicking and just start it after 1 hour when it starts at the first kick. Just kidding.

Do you use the choke for early morning starts ? If not, you should. Recommended for most bikes in the manual for cold starts, but usually required only for some makes.

Another problem could be engine getting flooded with fuel.

No idea about the jerks though.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 13:09   #3
BHPian

supremeBaleno,
I do use choke for starting but to no use :(
Old 15th June 2007, 13:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Since you are in Bangalore, early morning starts could require the choke to be used. Shut off the fuel cock the previous night when you park the bike.

The early morning starting problems and the jerks could also be due to dirt in the carb. Get the carb cleaned and tuned at the service station.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 14:14   #5
BHPian

Hi Ramki ,
Clean Carb and check air screw setting which seems to be the culprit in your case also clean and check spark plug gap.
spookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 14:44   #6
BHPian

thanks split and spookey. Will check carb tomorrow. By the way, what is an air screw? Where is it located? Pardon my innocence.
Old 15th June 2007, 14:55   #7
BHPian

also try to run the bike keeping the fuel cap open... and check if you still get jerks.. if not then its the issue with air not passing through the cap.. clean the cap and the area around it...
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 14:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Hi Ramki ,
Clean Carb and check air screw setting which seems to be the culprit in your case also clean and check spark plug gap.

spookey is right, clean carbs, set idle fuel mixture proper, mechs have a bad habit of leaning out to get better FE and after 1 week of carb clean you will land up with morning start and jerking. ask him to set the idle fuel setting at normal, trust me mileage will not drop. also check the float pin and if required just replace them

again fill gas from good pumps, 4 stroke bikes carb are lil sensitive to bad quality fuel
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 14:56   #9
BHPian

Ramki , there are 2 screws on the carb but i would strongly advice you not to fiddle with them unless you know what you are doing , go to some reputed local mechanic and he 'll do it for you , hardly takes 5 mins.
spookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 16:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
When i try to start it during Mornings it doesn't start, even after several kicks. It is somewhat like no life when kick. then after 1 hour when i try to start, it starts in just 1 kick. Also there are jerks during ride. What may be the problem. ramki.
(P-1) Try this in the mornings. Step-1 Switch off the ignition. Step-2 Turn ON the fuel tap. Step-3 Kick the engine 4-5 times. Step-4 Switch ON the ignition. Step-5 kick the engine. Engine should/will start on a single kick now.

(P-2) This may be due to misfiring. Either erratic fuel supply or problems with electrics. Try cleaning the tank, fuel lines, fuel tap and carburator. In case if it persists, check the high voltage areas like spark plug, plug cable, ignition coils etc etc... This should/will solve the problem.

cheers!
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 16:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

ramki, this is a problem similar to what i had in my ikon and a zx9r i know of.
This might sound hilarious, but i cant recall what the part is called, but its typically got a switch and a motor. In my ikon i had gotten the motor and switch replaced, whereas the zx9r i mentioned needed only the switch to be replaced.

WAIT, i think i recall it to be the solenoid switch and solenoid motor

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 19:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ramki,

Try doing this. Keep you throttle open fully for 10 seconds before first kick. Use choke and start.

Jerking indicates that the bike is lean, clean your carb. Take it to a competent mechanic and ask him to check the diaphragm of the CV carb. If faulty, replace. Ask him to tune the pilot screw to be a bit rich.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote