Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd August 2007, 00:50   #1
vinfriend

Default Hero Honda Splendor 94 Maintenance & Painting help

My 94 model Splendor Black is good in condition except rusting under seat mainly between seat and petrol tank and under the engine etc. As it is only in some parts, I dont have plans for complete re-painting but plan to do patch work myself. So, can anybody tell me how to prepare those portions for painting and which type paint to be used etc.? ..i plan to use brush not spray!

I periodically clean airfilter & spark plug, change oil etc. I dont think there is oilfilter in bikes..am i right? Do i need to care any other things in periodic maintenance? Somethimes I tune it from Authorized service center. Anything else to care about? plz help
Old 13th September 2009, 22:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, mine is a 2000 model Splendor, and the oil recommended in the manual is "Servo Super 20W40 multigrade / Bharat Actuma 20W40 multigrade". I have been using Hero Honda 4T plus all these years.

Recently I have purchased a new Alto. The oil I use is Shell Helix Super 15W40. It comes in 4 litre cans and a little over 1 litre is left after the oil change for Alto is done. I want to use the left over oil for my Splendor as this oil is any way better than the servo 20W40 recommended in the manual.

Would like to hear the pros and cons about this before proceeding.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 09:43   #3
BHPian

Hi Gansan,
Check this link
Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
Since the 15W or 20W component of XXW40 oil comes into play only at very low temperatures, and in comparing with the Chennai ambient temperature ranges, you can very well use the left over 15W40 oil on your bike. It makes no harm.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:46   #4
BHPian

@Gansan
No u can't use Car oil in bikes cause in bikes u need oil for wet clutch plates.
motionfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Gansan,
Check this link
Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
Since the 15W or 20W component of XXW40 oil comes into play only at very low temperatures, and in comparing with the Chennai ambient temperature ranges, you can very well use the left over 15W40 oil on your bike. It makes no harm.
-Ilango
Thanks Ilango!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
@Gansan
No u can't use Car oil in bikes cause in bikes u need oil for wet clutch plates.
That is what I also thought, but Servo Super 20W40 multigrade is a car oil basically, is it not?
Old 14th September 2009, 15:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinfriend View Post
My 94 model Splendor Black is good in condition except rusting under seat mainly between seat and petrol tank and under the engine etc. As it is only in some parts, I dont have plans for complete re-painting but plan to do patch work myself. So, can anybody tell me how to prepare those portions for painting and which type paint to be used etc.? ..i plan to use brush not spray!
Hey Vinfriend - You get spray cans anywhere between Rs -150/- to 200/- in almost all primary and secondary colours and the paint quality is pretty good provided you give a coat and allow it to dry for an hour in the sun.

These cans last for quite sometime and are helpful in giving regular touch ups. I use a black one for my Bull and HH Slendour. Try it - As its easy to use, non messy and just a can like an Air-Freshner, so does not even consume any space.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 10:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Tyre up-size for Splendor?

I have recently changed the rear tyre of my Feb' 2000 Splendor to 3.00 X 18 from the stock 2.75 X 18. The front tyre also will be due for replacement in a few months. That is when I am planning to shift the 3.00 X 18 (MRF) tyre from the rear to the front, and fit a 3.25 X 18 tyre at the rear. Will this be OK? What is the maximum size the Splendor can take? I don't mind losing a couple of KMPL due to this.

Last edited by Gansan : 6th October 2009 at 10:57.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have recently changed the rear tyre of my Feb' 2000 Splendor to 3.00 X 18 from the stock 2.75 X 18. The front tyre also will be due for replacement in a few months. That is when I am planning to shift the 3.00 X 18 (MRF) tyre from the rear to the front, and fit a 3.25 X 18 tyre at the rear. Will this be OK? What is the maximum size the Splendor can take? I don't mind losing a couple of KMPL due to this.
Don't install a fatter rear tyre. Splendor don't have enough pulling power for that and also your chain, sprockets, clutch will be having higher strain. Avoid it !
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 18:37   #9
BHPian

Friends
I am having a splendor 98 model. Till now done 60k on odo. Bike is running well.
The only issue: there is some dry carbon in exhaust pipe. There is no consumption of engine oil, returing mieleage of 60 kmpl with appropriate pick up but why carbon in powder from in exhaust pipe?
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote